Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The AK Files

Notices

Old February 07, 2019, 13:00   #1
RJCapt
Registered

FALaholic #: 12442
Galil 308 barrel???

Anyone know where to get one?

I just picked up another kit and torttort makes a receiver with the 308 bolt. However my Google fu has failed me in finding a barrel. I donít ďneedĒ another 5.56 galil, but Iíll build it that way if necessary.

I guess magazines will be my next hurdle...I read something about converting M14 mags but didnít find a bunch of info. Anywho tia

Pete
RJCapt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 07, 2019, 23:37   #2
mullicrk
Registered

FALaholic #: 75665
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJCapt View Post
Anyone know where to get one?

I just picked up another kit and torttort makes a receiver with the 308 bolt. However my Google fu has failed me in finding a barrel. I donít ďneedĒ another 5.56 galil, but Iíll build it that way if necessary.

I guess magazines will be my next hurdle...I read something about converting M14 mags but didnít find a bunch of info. Anywho tia

Pete
You can search Gobroker for a barrel or contact Jeff Miller at Hillbilly Firearms for a custom 308 barrel. I have some 308 barrels but Im either keeping them or trading for hard to find Galil stuff.

As far as mags? Cspecs just made a 25 round mag that works great...I believe they are around $60

Also CDNN has the 12 round IMI mags for $20, most of the ones I got have a round limiter in them, the mag has the skunk stripe

Then if your cheap, promag has made the m14 type conversion and they go for about 25-40 bucks

Finally be weary of buying supposed IMI mags when they are actually the later produced IWI mags for the ACE 308. They look very similar but the mag will not fit in the traditional magwell IMI made for the 308.

Take Care and happy building
mullicrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2019, 06:11   #3
RJCapt
Registered

FALaholic #: 12442
Thanks for the information.

Just checked and they are out of stock on the 308 bolts...looks like it will be another 223.

Pete
RJCapt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 20, 2019, 19:05   #4
raexcct2
GIMP EX-CCT
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 2784
Csspec 25 round .308 Galil magazines are $30 not $60.

http://airforcemag.com/MagazineArchi...05khamduc.aspx
raexcct2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2019, 05:52   #5
raubvogel
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64403
You can always wait until they have more bolts
raubvogel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2019, 06:10   #6
mullicrk
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by raexcct2 View Post
Csspec 25 round .308 Galil magazines are $30 not $60.

http://airforcemag.com/MagazineArchi...05khamduc.aspx
They were $60 when they came out.

So glad your here to correct old information.
Old March 22, 2019, 10:31   #7
raexcct2
GIMP EX-CCT
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullicrk View Post
They were $60 when they came out.

So glad your here to correct old information.
Well excuse me for trying to help other Galil owners. Next time Iíll keep any updated information to myself. Seems like everyone has to be a smart ass these days.
Old March 22, 2019, 18:31   #8
kmurphy
Registered

FALaholic #: 29121
How much do 7.62 bolts sell for?
kmurphy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2019, 06:36   #9
mullicrk
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by raexcct2 View Post
Well excuse me for trying to help other Galil owners. Next time Iíll keep any updated information to myself. Seems like everyone has to be a smart ass these days.
Yeah your right ...........Also prices changed again recently

Price is $48 now but he has some blems and prototypes for $30

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmurphy View Post
How much do 7.62 bolts sell for?
When IWI still sold the bolt it was $160 stripped, it is the newer style with the Extractor showing on the side like a AK74. The bolt is spring loaded type. The kit is still available for $50. Last complete bolt I seen was $300 like this.

The newer style also has a tad different length (Tighter VS older bolts) also the bolt lug ramps are a little different.

These newer bolts are the same in the ACE 308.

THe Older bolts look like 556 bolts with the exception to the following.

-Bolt face (762 bolts have slight offset cut to center to accommodate extractor)
-Ramp is elongated and smooth (this is most likely to prevent jamming on bullet casing coming out of battery and reinforcement when pushing case out of mag into battery
-Relief for ejector rail is elongated
-Extractor is cut wider, area where extractor meets barrel face is flat, will have a A stamp, B stamp (Rare) and or a stamp that look similar to this //

-Also to note a standard galil firing pin will work but for fail proof operation the small of the pin may need elongated slightly and smoothed to detonate the primer 100%

You can also choose to utilize a Yugo M76 bolt. It will need cut down of course. The pit fall of a cut down M76 bolt is the firing pin strike rather harsh on the primers. You can round it out with proper tools (Lathe). Also the lightening cuts and ejector cuts for the M76 receiver are left shown from your cutdown in the rear where cut.

Ive built 7 or 8 like this and only issue Ive seen and heard was the primers get beat up bad on commercial brass mostly. Steel not so much.

Older7.62 bolts can be had for $250 and up. Id say your looking at at least $250.

M76 bolts at least $100.

You can also with proper skills, Knowledge and will power make one and open up a 556 bolt and modify the relief. But I wouldnt due to the nature of things. too many variables and the offset face would most likely cause problems.

So all this info is as of this AM 3/30/2019 .....Prices anyway

Just checked Tortorts website and the receivers are available with a bolt for $699. That a deal considering the bolt is worth at least $250.

Galils arent cheap, if you build one then I d say get the Tortort receiver. Ive done a few now and they are hands down spot on with a IMI receiver dimensional wise. You wont have any regrets.

The Csspec mags work great as well. Only issue Ive had with them are some drag with the ntride coating.

https://stores.csspecs.com/galil-308-25rd/

https://tortort.com/products/copy-of...-with-nos-bolt
Old March 30, 2019, 17:16   #10
raexcct2
GIMP EX-CCT
Silver Contributor

Lots of good information. Thanks