The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The Class III Files

Notices

Old March 25, 2018, 11:07   #1
kroberts
Registered

FALaholic #: 9427
SBR Question

I've been considering an SBR (been daydreaming about buying a UMP clone). Given the gun climate nowadays I want to do it while I still can. About 15 years ago my driver's license was suspended for speeding. I was going very fast. It was stupid but I cant undo the past. Anyway, is this the sort of thing that would preclude the CLEO from signing off on my application? I assume a person's application could be denied?

I admit that I dont know much about the process.
Old March 25, 2018, 11:18   #2
gentlemanjoe
Registered

FALaholic #: 77676
Unless it was a felony conviction the ATF doesn't care so much. They just want their "fair share" of tax dollars and to justify their existence. Your CLEO on the other hand could be reluctant to sign off.

I would say go for it. I don't think it's an issue.

How fast is very fast?
gentlemanjoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2018, 11:55   #3
rbgonoles
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 74764
Maybe I’m not understanding your concern, but I don’t believe the CLEO signs off on anything. You just mail him a copy of the application/form. Now maybe he gets it and contacts the ATF?
rbgonoles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2018, 15:15   #4
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

FALaholic #: 12090
Latest change is the CLEO does not sign off. They are only notified of the Application submission. And as long as the penalty for driving a plane without wings was less than one year, you should be GTG.

Schools uses to start with the "three R's". Reading, writing, and arithmetic. Now they start with the "three D's". Dipshitery, Dumbassery, and Douchebaggery-Retired Bum

If you do in fact have a problem, you have the rest of your life to solve it. How long your life lasts only depends on how well you solve it.
tac-40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2018, 17:37   #5
Scout10
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 80494
your past traffic infraction (speeding) has zero effect.
UNLESS: DUI with vehicular homicide
Fleeing & eluding / vehicular
If these are in multiples on your record. (felonies) OOOPPZZ NA DA
Scout10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2018, 18:25   #6
kroberts
Registered

Thanks fellas. The UMP thing is kinda stupid. For less than half the money I could buy one of those new PTR MP5 clones, slap a brace on it, and I'm golden.

The speed isn't really important. Threads get led waaay off topic around here and I wanted to avoid that if possible.
Old March 27, 2018, 00:56   #7
Tikiman001
Registered

FALaholic #: 72392
Just as an FYI, OMEGA / Coharie / Speciul Wepunz / Todd Bailey name of the month does have a UMP Pistol Clone.

It's the Omega - Gideon Shadow Pistol. I think they have only have 9mm complete at Atlantic Firearms, options for bare receivers to do 40 / 45 builds.
Like you talked about with the PTR, you can put a brace on and your good to go.

Guys on HKPRO don't seem to be having that many issues, that being said I bought the Omega MP5SD instead. I prefer metal over plastic.
Tikiman001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27, 2018, 18:45   #8
2barearms
I really don't hate you..
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 13866
Not in Texas.

Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker
2barearms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 04, 2018, 13:19   #9
Riversidesports
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 36091
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2barearms View Post
Not in Texas.
Well more to it...

Even if a misdemeanor offense if it could have snared you for over a year you are prohibited from any possession

For example
You burned up multiple DUIs in some States the max was prison and thus you are the same as a common Felon
Many times this still is not revealed via a NICS check

We knew one clown who pulled 4 DUIs in under a year after the wife ran off with his two children with her boss.
Guy has CCW thus bypasses NICS here
By our laws Statewise he's legal
by Fed law he's prohibited
Riversidesports is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 08, 2018, 16:53   #10
kroberts
Registered

So I've been schooling myself on the Form 1 process. Evidently the ATF revised their regs back in 2016. Now I just have to drop off or mail a completed copy of my Form 1 to notify my local chief of police of my intention to build an SBR. My FFL is a Class III guy and a local cop. I'm going to ask him about this process next weekend.

My other reading topic is going to be Trusts.
Old April 08, 2018, 18:02   #11
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34604
Trusts now days are a bigger pita than a couple of yrs ago You have to submit fingerprints for those on the trusts. But you can pass the items along to a beneficiary or the people listed on the trusts can possess the item.

I really wouldn’t worry too much about the speeding thing.

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.
meltblown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2018, 07:01   #12
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
Quote:
Originally Posted by kroberts View Post
I've been considering an SBR (been daydreaming about buying a UMP clone). Given the gun climate nowadays I want to do it while I still can. About 15 years ago my driver's license was suspended for speeding. I was going very fast. It was stupid but I cant undo the past. Anyway, is this the sort of thing that would preclude the CLEO from signing off on my application? I assume a person's application could be denied?

I admit that I dont know much about the process.
One of the ministry groups I work with does a lot of jail and prison ministey. Work at local county jail and work farm but we have a prison where they house nothing but extremely violent minors awaiting trial in state or federal court. We do a service there every week and these kids are dangerous as think they are tough and not yet smart enough to realize there is always someone tougher. Some of our guys were not always in ministry and many are ex military or police.

Have to do a background check for every jail or prison and flown through them all exempt for the Regional Youth Detention Center where they went back and discovered from age 16 to 17 had three speeding tickets. Their rules say three tickets in a 12 month period at any point in life and no admission. I know guards that work there who have more but volunteers they screen with a microscope. It's hard to get guards as kids are mean so guess they dumb their admissions down. Have three guys that own trucking companies who used to be drivers who can't work that jail for same reason. Hard to drive for a living and not pick up a few tickets. I doubt you will have a problem unless they hit you with an eluding charge as a bonus.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 04, 2018, 10:49   #13
kroberts
Registered

Another SBR Question;

Are you allowed to alter an SBR once it it registered? For example, changing the barrel length from 12 inch to 10 inch.
Old May 07, 2018, 10:55   #14
GOVT1911
Registered

FALaholic #: 9433
yes
Old May 09, 2018, 20:14   #15
kev
Old Fart
Contributor

FALaholic #: 71
And if it's a permanent change you are requested to notify ATF. Same thing with caliber. Nice thing about ARs is that nothing need be permanent.

RUE?
kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 02, 2018, 08:32   #16
GiggleSmith
Registered

FALaholic #: 10675
Thumbs up

Last month I sent a Form 1 in to register an AR Lower as an SBR. At last count says I'll have the Stamp a little after Thanksgiving. (Whatever happened to 4 months waiting time???)

Right now I don't have any Uppers for it. I've seen
4 Inch
6 Inch
7½ Inch
10½ Inch
11½ Inch
14½ Inch
16 Inch
18 Inch
20 Inch
22 Inch
24 Inch

Barrel length uppers for the AR-15 style firearms. Here's a Youtube video with somebody with a 2 Inch Barrel:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmZSFBy9CZ8

Now, when I get My Stamps I'll be able to use ANY barrel length on it that I care to use.

Last edited by GiggleSmith; June 02, 2018 at 08:33. Reason: Video not loading
GiggleSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 02, 2018, 18:28   #17
the gman
Registered

FALaholic #: 5179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riversidesports View Post
Well more to it...

Even if a misdemeanor offense if it could have snared you for over a year you are prohibited from any possession

For example
You burned up multiple DUIs in some States the max was prison and thus you are the same as a common Felon
Many times this still is not revealed via a NICS check

We knew one clown who pulled 4 DUIs in under a year after the wife ran off with his two children with her boss.
Guy has CCW thus bypasses NICS here
By our laws Statewise he's legal
by Fed law he's prohibited
Sigh. Giving out blanket legal advice in a firearms forum, especially as it pertains to NFA is ill advised.

Your supposed example of 4 DUI's in one year may or may not push him over the edge in terms of what BATFE will accept, depending on what he was charged with. In the state of NM, a 4th DUI, presuming he was convicted on the previous 3, automatically elevates it to a felony. Felonies are, as correctly stated, a no-no for weapons possession of ANY kind, not just NFA. Last I checked, a 4th DUI is a felony in MN with a penalty of 7 years imprisonment for any level of alcohol in their system. However, unless the guy is a complete moron and plead guilty in the fastest possible time, its unlikely he was tried on all 4 cases in a single year.

However, it is entirely possible for someone to be arrested for 4 DUI's and never be charged with a felony IF they have a really good attorney who manages to get a good plea deal to count the 2nd DWI as a first rather than a second.

Misdemeanor convictions for certain crimes such as domestic violence will again preclude firearms ownership however, most misdemeanors will NOT disqualify you from NFA possession. The Federal definition of misdemeanor is that the MAXIMUM penalty for the crime is exactly one year or less in jail hence it isn't a felony.

Spoke to a Federal prosecutor buddy of mine as well as 2 former coppers who left my old agency to become agents with BATFE. When evaluating criminal offenses, BATFE is bound by Federal law which treats EACH individual crime separately. Four misdemeanor offenses in one year, not elevated to the level of a felony, would be treated as 4 individual crimes not exceeding one year in jail therefore NOT disqualifying the person from NFA.

Disqualifying violations for NFA will almost certainly disqualify a person from owning any firearm, period. That's why, with certain exceptions, a person with an approved form 4, is exempt from a NICS check. As always, I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn last night and I advise anyone with potential issues regarding their ability to own or possess firearms, NFA or not, to contact a qualified attorney.

God is on the side, not of the big battalions, but of the best shots- Voltaire

“The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
-Alexis de Tocqueville
the gman is offline   Reply With Quote