The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > Optics

Notices

Old March 01, 2017, 14:27   #1
Roadmarker
Remaining Vigilant 3-7-77
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 63605
Primary Arms 1-6X Scope. Get 1 while they last!

http://www.primaryarms.com/primary-a...ystem-paps1-6x
Primary Arms 1-6X ACSS Reticle. The best "value" scope on the market! Definitely the best reticle! 2016 models on close out. Great glass and $40.00 off, while they last.
P.S. I am in no way affiliated with Primary Arms. But this is my 2nd 1-6X scope I've gotten from them. I also have a straight 6X scope that I love.
A true 1x optic can be used as a red dot. 6X will get you out to 800 yards. Illuminated ACSS reticle as seen in second photo.

Last edited by Roadmarker; March 01, 2017 at 14:53.
Roadmarker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 01, 2017, 21:34   #2
rowjimmy
Diverter of Threads
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 21662
They are a great scope for the money. I did get one that the reticle was crooked inside the housing, but they replaced it right away. No B.S. from this company.
rowjimmy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 02, 2017, 10:11   #3
rowjimmy
Diverter of Threads
Gold Contributor

And, to add, I don't think the BDC works very well beyond 500 yards, at least with the 5.56. But, that is only my experience. Who shoots 800 yards with a 5.56 anyway?
Old March 02, 2017, 18:31   #4
hkshooter
Mighty Fine!
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 5391
I was looking into this sale last night because I have a need and this seemed like a good deal. While I was researching the scope I stumbled across a killer deal on a Leupold VX-R that sucked me in, now I have two. Have yet to own a PA item but they sound like good stuff, people really like it.
Old March 03, 2017, 10:32   #5
AFeod
Registered
Contributor
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 75606
this is the scope im saving for to put on my almost completed para. It seems pretty trick.
Old March 03, 2017, 10:50   #6
rbgonoles
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 74764
I have one on a recent AR build. Excellent scope.

rbgonoles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 03, 2017, 11:48   #7
EPC WN
Ka-BOOM!
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 65612
Not the greatest scope ever devised but certainly an excellent value when considering the price to feature ratio.
Old March 03, 2017, 13:20   #8
Eyeguy
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 73288
The discounted price is a close out on the current generation; a great price on a solid optic.

Just got a mailer from Primary on the new, Gen III 1-6. Lighter, shorter, improved reticle and now a lifetime warranty for $289.99. I believe the lifetime warranty is a new deal for Primary.

I have 2 of their optics and have been well pleased. As stated, a good product at value pricing.

Last edited by Eyeguy; March 03, 2017 at 13:30.
Eyeguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 03, 2017, 14:05   #9
Roadmarker
Remaining Vigilant 3-7-77
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 63605
Totally agree, an outstanding "value" scope.
O.K. the Gen III s just came in today for 289.99 plus shipping.
Here is the sell sheet:

The Primary Arms 1-6x24 second focal plane scope (Gen III) features our exclusive, patented Advanced Combined Sighting System reticle. Bullet drop compensation, wind holds, moving target leads and range estimation are seamlessly integrated into an easy to use, instinctive sighting system that is very fast from 0-300 yards and very accurate from 300-800 yards. The second focal plane design keeps the reticle the same size at all magnifications for quick acquisition at low power and advanced reticle functionality at 6x maximum power.

We knew our flagship Gen II 1-6x24 would be a tough act to follow, so we worked hard to make incremental but real improvements. The Gen III is 18mm shorter, weighs 1.88 ounces less, and has an additional 10 MOA of internal adjustment compared to the older model. The ACSSŪ reticle has also been improved, now featuring a chevron center aiming point rather than a dot.

PA1-6X24SFP-ACSS-5.56 is protected by the Primary Arms Limited Lifetime Warranty.

Partial red reticle illumination is provided by a single CR2032 battery, and a spare battery is included inside the windage turret cap. A total of 11 settings take the reticle all the way up to daylight bright. All lenses are fully multicoated for maximum light transmission and the 6063 aluminum body is Type II hard anodized in matte black. Flip-up lens covers are included, and a "cat tail" scope lever is available from 3 Gun Stuff (product code GS-460).

Flip-cap scope covers are included, but for customers who wish to upgrade the Butler Creek flip-cap sizes are:
Objective: 02A
Eye: 17

Ok, so the new one is about 3/4" shorter and almost 2 oz. lighter. Is that enough to justify $60? LOL, now I'm going back and forth...maybe I'll just take a good look at the 1-8X. It's almost identical to the 1-6X Gen III dimension wise, but I've heard the glass wasn't quite as clear as the 1-6X.
Roadmarker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 03, 2017, 14:18   #10
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 4653
I've been thinking about one for my Colt 6920. But, a little voice in my head tells me a Weaver V-3 1-3x20 would fill my needs, cost less, be lighter and it's made in Japan. I'll never shoot that AR at much more than 2-300 yards at best. Impaled on the horns of a dilemma.
Old March 04, 2017, 02:11   #11
Registered

FALaholic #: 66611
I've got one on my FAL. Love it. For the price, you can't beat these things
1769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2017, 23:34   #12
grumpy1
Registered

FALaholic #: 72190
Anyone have one of these Primary Arms scopes and the Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6? I've seen a few reviews that the Vortex is a little fuzzy at 6x but they do have a lifetime warrant. Just wondering which would be better.
grumpy1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 11, 2017, 01:03   #13
EPC WN
Ka-BOOM!
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy1 View Post
Anyone have one of these Primary Arms scopes and the Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6? I've seen a few reviews that the Vortex is a little fuzzy at 6x but they do have a lifetime warrant. Just wondering which would be better.
Everything I've read is that they're most likely manufactured in the same plant and each company orders them with their reticle. The Vortex warranty is the difference on the Gen 2s.
Old March 11, 2017, 07:42   #14
hkshooter
Mighty Fine!
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by EPC WN View Post
Everything I've read is that they're most likely manufactured in the same plant and each company orders them with their reticle. The Vortex warranty is the difference on the Gen 2s.
While scope shopping I looked through a lot of scopes and the Vortex was one of them. I was immediately disappointed in the quality of the image, it being a little cloudy and also fuzzy around the edges at 5x+. I put it down and never touched it again.
And I seriously hope the PA 1x6 isn't the same scope with a different name on it, if so I already know I won't like it and I don't believe one can return the blowout item.
Old March 11, 2017, 07:51   #15
Registered

FALaholic #: 66611
HKshooter, I have the older 1-6. It's clear as a bell. I don't know about the newer model. I've had mine for a quite a while now.
1769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11, 2017, 07:55   #16
hkshooter
Mighty Fine!
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1769 View Post
HKshooter, I have the older 1-6. It's clear as a bell. I don't know about the newer model. I've had mine for a quite a while now.
Thanks, I hope this one is clear as well.
I have to wonder, these are gen I. They just came out with gen III. Where's gen II and what are the differences?

Edit: Member set me straight, thanks.

Last edited by hkshooter; March 11, 2017 at 17:13.
hkshooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2017, 06:46   #17
ByronF
Registered

FALaholic #: 630
Is reticle visible with a dead batttery? No claim of estimated battery life. Thats a deal killer for me, but at this price point it's what should be expected. If one is limited to the sub-$250 range seems like a decent deal. But if I were stuck at a $250 scope budget I'd sell something I dont use and get up to the $500 range of scopes. There one can consider products with reticle that works without batteries, with a long-battery-life dot, lifetime warranty, and better glass. Leupold VXR with firedot comes to mind. It wont tell you how far to lead a running deer at 800 yd though.
ByronF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2017, 08:10   #18
hkshooter
Mighty Fine!
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByronF View Post
Is reticle visible with a dead batttery? No claim of estimated battery life. Thats a deal killer for me, but at this price point it's what should be expected. If one is limited to the sub-$250 range seems like a decent deal. But if I were stuck at a $250 scope budget I'd sell something I dont use and get up to the $500 range of scopes. There one can consider products with reticle that works without batteries, with a long-battery-life dot, lifetime warranty, and better glass. Leupold VXR with firedot comes to mind. It wont tell you how far to lead a running deer at 800 yd though.
You certainly hold things to a high standard. And you seem very speedy to come and disparage the item when you have obviously not used one. Folks spend what they can to have what they need, this scope fits a budget and a need. Your scopes fit your budget and your needs. No need to take digs at a product you've clearly never handled or used.

Since you've mentioned the Leupold VR-X, I have two. Both of them have a dot that looks oblong or L-shape, not a true circular dot. And the one I just received has a stadia wire from the center to the lower thick portion of the reticle that's both thicker, and offset when compared to the other wires.
It's actually most likely not a true wire but a printed image but that's besides my point which is even spending $500 doesn't get one perfection.
I'm happy with my two VR-Xs and the warranty certainly is better than the GenII PA, but they ain't all that and a bowl of cherries.

And BTW, the GenIII PA 1X6 has a lifetime warranty, as do many sub-$500 Vortex items. Just tossing that out there.
Old March 12, 2017, 08:33   #19
ByronF
Registered

FALaholic #: 630
You shit to bed last night? Scrub up, have some breakfast, and put on your cartoons. By lunch time you'll be right as rain.
ByronF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2017, 11:26   #20
EPC WN
Ka-BOOM!
Bronze Contributor

The reticle is etched so picking it up is easy to do. I don't even turn it on in bright light because the red washes out for the most part and prefer the straight black unless it's getting late. These scopes easily compare to the 500 dollar range offerings you suggest. So much so that the price point seems excessive for the quality offered. The opposite turret cap holds an extra battery in case it does take a shit in the middle of using it. Doesn't take 30 seconds to change out. It's a complete enough package. It's certainly not perfect but for half the cost of a fire dot it comes pretty close. IMO Scopes don't start to get nice until you hit the 1200 dollar price point. Hard to justify on a FAL that costs 1/2 to 3/4 of that and is at best 2 moa with surplus...

Last edited by EPC WN; March 12, 2017 at 11:32.
EPC WN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2017, 22:07   #21
RJCapt
Registered

FALaholic #: 12442
Quote:
Yeah, I have both.

I bought the Vortex to upgrade from a 1-4 and then I picked up the PA on this deal. They were both for my FAL.

I replaced the Vortex with the PA last week (for the rock castle shoot on Saturday). Glass seems about the same, but I don't have any "good" glass to compare it to. I swapped them because I like the PA reticle better than the Vortex.

The PA reticle is smaller and doesn't obstruct the target as much at 300yds (haven't gone out further than that yet). Personal opinion, but for me, I like the small center dot on the PA. No issues ringing a 12" steel plate at 200yds off hand, downright boring on a rest. Seemed like the Vortex wasn't as easy for me at least.

The only thing I don't like about the PA (and the Vortex has the same issue) is there isn't much tactile feel when adjusting the turrets. But for me, it's a zero and go so it doesn't affect my opinion of either. I definitely prefer the feel of my Burris turrets though.

With the etched glass on both, I've never turned on the illumination on either, but I don't hunt with it.

Pete
RJCapt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2017, 18:43   #22
hkshooter
Mighty Fine!
Silver Contributor

Mounted up one of these tonight and got a decent short range zero, should be ready for 100.
I like it, the quality of the build seems nice. Someone mentioned the turret clicks and I agree. With the headset on I couldn't hear them and with my old and beat up hands I couldn't feel them either. Once zero'ed it won't matter.
Looking forward to stretching it out to see what the set up can do.
Old March 16, 2017, 19:08   #23
rbgonoles
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 74764
Looking forward to your report
rbgonoles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2017, 19:14   #24
rowjimmy
Diverter of Threads
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkshooter View Post
Mounted up one of these tonight and got a decent short range zero, should be ready for 100.
I like it, the quality of the build seems nice. Someone mentioned the turret clicks and I agree. With the headset on I couldn't hear them and with my old and beat up hands I couldn't feel them either. Once zero'ed it won't matter.
Looking forward to stretching it out to see what the set up can do.
I found when shooting the PA 1x6 past 500, the BDC's fell woefully short. But, that was with a 55 gr 5.56, though it shouldn't matter. Maybe like 2' or more low at 600 yards. I think it held minute of bad guy in between though IIRC.
Old March 16, 2017, 21:18   #25
Bama Steve
Registered

FALaholic #: 1982
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowjimmy View Post
I found when shooting the PA 1x6 past 500, the BDC's fell woefully short. But, that was with a 55 gr 5.56, though it shouldn't matter. Maybe like 2' or more low at 600 yards. I think it held minute of bad guy in between though IIRC.
That big gap between 500 and 600 yards in the Ballistic Drop Reticle is no mans land for many calibers using any scope past 500 as you have entered the domain of Long Range Shooting; the bullet slows down and starts dropping quickly.

I consider 500 yards the end of the line for a field grade weapon and choose optics/firearms based upon that threshold.

You need more optical power and finer cross-hairs past 500 yards in order to gain sufficient resolution in the sight picture to engage small targets accurately.

For the majority of shooters, the 6x scope is going to be more than enough for their realistic needs.

Buy the scope and be happy with them.

Old March 16, 2017, 21:51   #26
hkshooter
Mighty Fine!
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowjimmy View Post
I won't be shooting no 500 or 600 yards for sure, unless I happen upon someone with private property who will allow it. 200-300 is more realistic for me and since I'm using this on a .223 the BDC won't matter much. I still need to reread the instructions to figure out what they are talking about to adjust for different barrel length and caliber. My cursory glace at the instructions wasn't enough for me to get it.
Old March 18, 2017, 17:44   #27
HankC
Registered

FALaholic #: 20436
AIMS has it, cheaper ($220) and free shipping. I still cannot justify to buy one at $220! I could get a Leopold at $200, at least a Nikon!

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.as...e&groupid=8045
HankC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2017, 19:55   #28
hkshooter
Mighty Fine!
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankC View Post
AIMS has it, cheaper ($220) and free shipping. I still cannot justify to buy one at $220! I could get a Leopold at $200, at least a Nikon!

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.as...e&groupid=8045
Show me a Leupold equivalent to the PA scope discussed in this thread for $200 and I'll buy one. Or a couple.
Old March 19, 2017, 09:55   #29
MAINER
Old Salt
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 18465
Hencho en Chine!

Old March 31, 2017, 18:59   #30
AFeod
Registered
Contributor
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 75606
Gen III

So I just picked up the acss gen III. Wow! I'm impressed. The glass is super clear and at 1x it seems pretty true. Now to find some rings or a mount and give a range report.
Old April 02, 2017, 06:55   #31
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
Just picked up two Vortex Strike Eagle 30 mm tube 1-6x with lifetime warranty on scope and electronics. Paid under $300 out the door locally. Midway has been running deals with $50 or $100 off the already low sale price of select Vortex products. Have tapped them for four optics in past six weeks. Had to set up account in wife's name as the $50 and the $100 off coupons are one time use but wife needs glass on her rifles too. Vortex is only company with lifetime warranty on ALL electronics to my knowledge, even range finders. Leupold doesn't warranty their range finders for life.

Why made the leap and half my optics are Vortex now. Unlike Nikon not had one fail yet and are darn good optics, best value dollar for dollar now. Used to only buy U.S. made Burris and Leupold. Vortex has cost them a lot of money though bought two Burris tactical scopes on clearance at Midway past six weeks also. They must be overstocked on optics.

Edit:
Just added one of these to incoming $799 reduced to $441.

Burris Xtreme Tactical II Rifle Scope 30mm Tube 1-5x 24mm 1/10 Mil Adjustments Illuminated Ballistic CQ Mil Reticle Matte

Also one of these MSRP $384, Regular Price $319, Current $247.

Sig Sauer KILO1250 Laser Rangefinder 6x 20mm with 1,600 yard reflective target range, 950 non-reflective range.

Now to troll Brownells and the other usual and unusual haunts.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat

Last edited by hueyville; April 02, 2017 at 07:22. Reason: fresh sale
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote