Go Back   The FAL Files > To Keep and Bear Arms > Competitive Shooting

Notices

Old July 24, 2018, 11:37   #101
kotengu
Registered

FALaholic #: 1594
Quote:
Originally Posted by tac-40 View Post
Okay, I can see how a broken finger can affect your shooting and obstacle negotiation. But how in the hell does it affect your running, unless it is one of those mystic oriental yin yang thing?
You run your way, I run mine! I use my whole body to run - even my little finger. ;-)
Old July 24, 2018, 20:25   #102
stimpsonjcat
I wasn't talking to you
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 470
Kelly,

The COF does not mention sizes of targets for the various stages, can/will you elaborate?

"The game is worth the candle...always been."

"Itís hard to light a candle, easy to curse the dark instead."
stimpsonjcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2018, 22:15   #103
kotengu
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by stimpsonjcat View Post
Kelly,

The COF does not mention sizes of targets for the various stages, can/will you elaborate?
Smaller than big, but bigger than small.
Old July 25, 2018, 12:28   #104
stimpsonjcat
I wasn't talking to you
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotengu View Post
Smaller than big, but bigger than small.
So...like you?

Old July 25, 2018, 21:59   #105
kotengu
Registered

Quote:
So...like you?
I'm not much bigger than small. She said somewhere that all targets will be at least 4 MOA. But I've said that before and been surprised on match day.
Old July 26, 2018, 10:20   #106
stimpsonjcat
I wasn't talking to you
Silver Contributor

Yeah OK.

I probably need to play with shooting the pistol through a VTAC.

I moved some gear around on my rig.

-pistol off the chest rig and onto belt (new Safariland holster not here yet)
-moved mag carriers on chest rig to allow a slot for slackline
-spare rifle ammo to pouch on belt
-spare pistol ammo to medical kit right side on chest rig

I was considering adding some offset irons on the DSA mount, but playing around last night I didn't think it would really speed me up any. It just aggravates me I can't move with both eyes open with one through the scope like I can do with irons.

Old July 26, 2018, 15:35   #107
kotengu
Registered

The both eyes open thing is one reason I upgraded scopes to get a true 1x. I can do it during dryfire pretty well, but on the clock it's just "off" enough to mess with my head and slow me down. So I'm still faster with one eye closed.

If you haven't looked through a "true 1x scope" be warned. It's only exactly 1x at a specific distance, and at any other distance it's very slightly more or less than that. For whatever reason, 0.95x really messes with my head, but even 2x isn't that bad. Go figure.
Old July 26, 2018, 17:27   #108
Nuttz
Semper Fidelis
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 69873
Why I use ACOGs! BAC for the win!
Old July 26, 2018, 19:20   #109
stimpsonjcat
I wasn't talking to you
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuttz View Post
Why I use ACOGs! BAC for the win!
Too rich for my blood, an ACOG on my FAl would triple the cost of the rifle. Heck I could add an RMR to the side of the pig for what? A third the cost of the 308 ACOG?

But maybe at some point. I can't dispute you shoot them well. It's why I try so hard not to shoot other folks weapons. Feels like trying their wives/girlfriends, though not as expensive I guess.

I ordered the offset irons as they are cheap.

Old July 26, 2018, 21:00   #110
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

FALaholic #: 12090
Well, I am going to the range to see if I can shoot distance left handed - both rifle and pistol. My new range has a plate rack for the pistol to practice on. And I'll try to find the proper scope setting to ding steel out to 200 for sure and farther is everything is GTG.

Anybody coming up on Thursday besides me? I am staying at the Comfort Suites if you want to get together and chat.

Schools uses to start with the "three R's". Reading, writing, and arithmetic. Now they start with the "three D's". Dipshitery, Dumbassery, and Douchebaggery-Retired Bum

If you do in fact have a problem, you have the rest of your life to solve it. How long your life lasts only depends on how well you solve it.
tac-40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 27, 2018, 14:24   #111
beseventeen
history of bad ideas
Contributor
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 75901
Bruce, we are looking at 4MOA or bigger for rifle targets. Combo of flashers and B/Cs - just depending on whether they cut the hay or not. Pistol will be pretty generous too. Worst thing for pistol will probably be the skinny knock downs (what are they, maybe 4" wide and 8" tall).

Any other questions on the format or what to expect?

This is fun, it's like designing the hunger games. May the odds be ever in your favor, Filers....
"I know the stories of women murdering their ways across campaigns. Riding into combat on horseback and creating rivers of blood where they went. I'll be damned if I'm going to pretend they can't be killers in their own right."
beseventeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27, 2018, 20:17   #112
stimpsonjcat
I wasn't talking to you
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by beseventeen View Post

This is fun, it's like designing the hunger games. May the odds be ever in your favor, Filers....
You'll rue the day you made that reference.

Old July 27, 2018, 21:29   #113
kotengu
Registered

Quote:
You'll rue the day you made that reference.
Old July 27, 2018, 22:39   #114
stimpsonjcat
I wasn't talking to you
Silver Contributor

Quote:
LOL

I was answering Kelly's "Hunger Games" reference.

Rue.

Old July 28, 2018, 00:26   #115
kotengu
Registered

Quote:
LOL

I was answering Kelly's "Hunger Games" reference.

Rue.
I cut her some slack - she's a girl (pretty sure?), so quoting girl movies is expected. And you have to admit, Katniss is a badass and a helluva role model for girls nowadays.

But really, it was just an excuse to quote one of my favorite movies. #RealGeniusFTW

Now if I could just frigging GO TO SLEEP!!!
Old July 28, 2018, 00:33   #116
kotengu
Registered

Quote:
I cut her some slack - she's a girl
Sorry - "woman". My wife gets on to me all the time about that. She sure as hell shoots and runs better than most men though so you can understand my confusion.
Old July 28, 2018, 15:58   #117
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

Okay, I am a dummy, but WTH is a 4 MOA target. I mean 4 MOA at 100 yds is a 4 inch target, and 4 MOA at 500 yds is a 20 inch target. I would much rather shoot a 500 yd target at 100 yds than a 100 yd target at 500 yds.

Range trip yesterday was promising for the rifle and suxs for the pistol. Rifle is zeroed for the ammo I will use and I have the hold overs figured out for the 2, 3, and 4 hundred yard targets. Left handed was consistent at 100 and 200 yds. 300 yds, meh. Lots of problems getting the eye relief and holding it. Plus, that SCAR slapped the heck out of my left cheek on every shot. Not comfortable. I will try out dialing down the magnification and see if that takes care of the eye relief issues.

FN pistol sights are set up for a POA-POI aiming technique. During rapid fire drills on the 6 inch plate rack, I kept drifting back to a 6 o'clock hold. Luckily I bought a case of Winchester white box ammo so I can practice while at work. It does have benefits working at a shop with an indoor 25 yard range. Left hand single plates, silhouettes and Ĺ size skinny poppers were no problem one handed left or right. Left hand plate rack, ugh. I'd be better off throwing rocks.

Shot in the rig I'll be wearing and it feels okay. A runner might have issues with it, but I am not one of those, so it worked. Some issues with the hydration system bladder dripping. Got to work on that.

See you all on Thursday or Friday.

And remember - "Destroying things is much easier than making them."

Schools uses to start with the "three R's". Reading, writing, and arithmetic. Now they start with the "three D's". Dipshitery, Dumbassery, and Douchebaggery-Retired Bum

If you do in fact have a problem, you have the rest of your life to solve it. How long your life lasts only depends on how well you solve it.
Old July 29, 2018, 13:54   #118
beseventeen
history of bad ideas
Contributor
Gold Contributor

Quote:
I cut her some slack - she's a girl (pretty sure?),
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4fI3TruAOw

Quote:
Okay, I am a dummy, but WTH is a 4 MOA target. I mean 4 MOA at 100 yds is a 4 inch target, and 4 MOA at 500 yds is a 20 inch target. I would much rather shoot a 500 yd target at 100 yds than a 100 yd target at 500 yds.

4 MOA target @ 100 yards = will be no smaller than 4".
4 MOA target @ 400 yards (our furthest distance) = will be no smaller than 16".

It's not that there are different targets per yardage (like what you are trying to say). Just that no target will be smaller than 4 MOA, and that holds true no matter what distance you are shooting at.
"I know the stories of women murdering their ways across campaigns. Riding into combat on horseback and creating rivers of blood where they went. I'll be damned if I'm going to pretend they can't be killers in their own right."
Old July 29, 2018, 17:00   #119
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

Quote:
Just that no target will be smaller than 4 MOA, and that holds true no matter what distance you are shooting at.
Thank you for the enlightenment. I was hoping that was it but I needed assurance that I hadn't bitten off more than I can chew in participating in this match. I know me and my rifle can shoot inside 4 MOA out the 400 yards. Whether or not I can do it under match conditions still remains to be determined.

Old July 29, 2018, 20:12   #120
NGCSUGrad09
Registered

FALaholic #: 67771
Quote:
The both eyes open thing is one reason I upgraded scopes to get a true 1x. I can do it during dryfire pretty well, but on the clock it's just "off" enough to mess with my head and slow me down. So I'm still faster with one eye closed.

If you haven't looked through a "true 1x scope" be warned. It's only exactly 1x at a specific distance, and at any other distance it's very slightly more or less than that. For whatever reason, 0.95x really messes with my head, but even 2x isn't that bad. Go figure.
In reference to what you are seeing, the diopter setting can vary what you see significantly on apparent magnification. Adjust it properly and it should be corrected.

In addition, there can be a weird optical things happening if running a 20 MOA mount when at 1x due to the offset of the scope looking slightly down and the eyes looking straight forward.
NGCSUGrad09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29, 2018, 20:47   #121
kotengu
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGCSUGrad09 View Post
In reference to what you are seeing, the diopter setting can vary what you see significantly on apparent magnification. Adjust it properly and it should be corrected.
Interesting - I hadn't thought of that. Is there a better way to adjust this other than "point it at the sky and adjust it until the reticle is clear"?
Old July 30, 2018, 07:32   #122
stimpsonjcat
I wasn't talking to you
Silver Contributor

Which stage has the slackline?

Old July 30, 2018, 07:40   #123
jcornss
Registered

FALaholic #: 37954
They're calling for thunderstorms all week. Conditions should be excellent Temp is supposed to be mid 80s on Saturday but I'm sure the humidity will add to the misery.
jcornss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30, 2018, 08:23   #124
stimpsonjcat
I wasn't talking to you
Silver Contributor

I decided to check zero on the rifle (it's fine) and shoot some pistol yesterday.

In particular the idea of shooting pistol thru the VTAC was worrying me.

So off to the cabin I go (had to run the weedeater up there anyway).

I have some 8" square plates at 30 yards or so, so those were the defacto pistol targets. First shot warming up I cut a wire holding one...sigh...but that didn't happen anymore.

Man the eyes thing is really a problem for me now, especially once I get into some goofy contorted position trying to emulate shooting the VTAC through the porch lattice. I think I may need to pinch some pennies and get a red dot for the Sig. Which models can be had that just fit a factory dovetail?

I played around with various positions, left and right handed stuff, my progressives vs the fixed rifle sight length glasses. In the end I am sticking with the progressives.

Glad I went though as my shooting was not so good when I got there and much improved when I left. As I remembered and feared, propping a pistol changes POI, glad I went and checked this behavior.

Old July 30, 2018, 09:56   #125
kotengu
Registered

Good stuff. I shot the 9mm Glock for the first time in awhile Saturday and figured the goofy pinky thing out. Then I wasn't happy with my pistol shooting so I shot it again Sunday. Haven't shot my rifle since April - wish I had more time for practice!

I haven't run a slackline since March either, so we'll see how well I burned it into my muscle memory.
Old July 30, 2018, 10:20   #126
jcornss
Registered

Quote:

I think I may need to pinch some pennies and get a red dot for the Sig. Which models can be had that just fit a factory dovetail?
You just need a dovetail mount plate. Most plates are compatible with most mini red dots. The DT mounts sit kind of high.
Old July 30, 2018, 11:00   #127
kotengu
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcornss View Post
You just need a dovetail mount plate. Most plates are compatible with most mini red dots. The DT mounts sit kind of high.
Don't enable him - this dude owns a mill and knows how to use it! No need for a dovetail mount.

Even I cut a SIG for a Trijicon RMR for my dad. It's not that bad and it's his favorite pistol now.
Old July 30, 2018, 11:30   #128
stimpsonjcat
I wasn't talking to you
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Don't enable him - this dude owns a mill and knows how to use it! No need for a dovetail mount.

Even I cut a SIG for a Trijicon RMR for my dad. It's not that bad and it's his favorite pistol now.
Hmmmm...$400 and I'll need a new holster probably...

Old July 30, 2018, 12:00   #129
beseventeen
history of bad ideas
Contributor
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Which stage has the slackline?
Thatís right before stage III, the dueling tree/offhand rifle plate rack.

I am hoping I can shoot one of these mornings before the match. I havenít shot in two weeks and have not been dry firing nearly as much. Good thing Iím not counting my scores, lol.
Old July 30, 2018, 12:20   #130
kotengu
Registered

Quote:
Hmmmm...$400 and I'll need a new holster probably...
You want me to bring a rotary table with me on Thursday, or do you have one already?
Old July 30, 2018, 12:21   #131
kotengu
Registered

Quote:
A pair of smoked arms will be PERFECT for that shooting challenge. ;-)
Old July 30, 2018, 13:44   #132
stimpsonjcat
I wasn't talking to you
Silver Contributor

Quote:
You want me to bring a rotary table with me on Thursday, or do you have one already?

Old July 30, 2018, 15:08   #133
jcornss
Registered

Quote:

LMAO, I know stimp is quite skilled in the art of metal removal. Was thinking there was some reason he didn't want to take a cutter to his sig ....... Shrugs shoulders.

Having the slide cut gets the sight nice and low. And the rmr is the shiz.
Old July 30, 2018, 15:12   #134
jcornss
Registered

Quote:

I am hoping I can shoot one of these mornings before the match. I havenít shot in two weeks and have not been dry firing nearly as much. Good thing Iím not counting my scores, lol.
Is the slackline for everyone or just 8kers? I've practiced that.....0. I need more hours in a day.
Old July 30, 2018, 15:19   #135
kotengu
Registered

Quote:
Not sure what this means? Are you insulted that I can't remember if you have a rotary table? ;-)

Jason - I've never known stimp to be afraid of cutting ANYTHING! I'm surprised he doesn't have a sheetrock screw in that SIG yet.
Old July 30, 2018, 15:54   #136
jcornss
Registered

Quote:
Not sure what this means? Are you insulted that I can't remember if you have a rotary table? ;-)

Jason - I've never known stimp to be afraid of cutting ANYTHING! I'm surprised he doesn't have a sheetrock screw in that SIG yet.
Hahahaha
Old July 31, 2018, 09:13   #137
stimpsonjcat
I wasn't talking to you
Silver Contributor

Quote:
I'm surprised he doesn't have a sheetrock screw in that SIG yet.
You don't know that!

OMG, you got me thread-drifting...you sneaky...

...now I need to go take a shower.

Old August 01, 2018, 20:44   #138
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

Well, I'm ready I think. Loaded everything up and think I over planned what I need to carry. Never did get the FNX9 figured out, so going with my G21. That added noticeable weight.

Thinking of spending the night Saturday. All depends on the weather forecast. Nasty drive home at night in the rain . See y'all Friday and Saturday.

Old August 02, 2018, 06:26   #139
kotengu
Registered

Quote:
Well, I'm ready I think. Loaded everything up and think I over planned what I need to carry. Never did get the FNX9 figured out, so going with my G21. That added noticeable weight.

Thinking of spending the night Saturday. All depends on the weather forecast. Nasty drive home at night in the rain . See y'all Friday and Saturday.
See you soon Tac!
Old August 02, 2018, 08:17   #140
Nuttz
Semper Fidelis
Bronze Contributor

Heading South soon. See you all there!
Old August 02, 2018, 09:10   #141
stimpsonjcat
I wasn't talking to you
Silver Contributor

RO curse in full effect for tomorrow.

At least it will be cooler for us.

Old August 02, 2018, 09:15   #142
Nuttz
Semper Fidelis
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
RO curse in full effect for tomorrow.

At least it will be cooler for us.
Yup, memories of Rockcastle!!!!
Old August 02, 2018, 10:05   #143
jcornss
Registered

Good luck RO's!
Old August 02, 2018, 14:01   #144
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

Got into town around 11 a.m. so drove out to the KH to see if I could find it. Saw Kelly walking across the parking lot wearing knee high muck boots covered in red clay. Followed her and her two helpers down to the meeting place for the beginning (300 yd range). Roads were wet and a little muddy mostly gravel. Easily passible with car or truck. Helped move some steel and target stands out of storage. It will be a great match. I left after helping a very little, and trying hard to NOT get in the way. She has everything under control.

It was surprising to so little standing water after all the rain the past couple of weeks. They have good drainage and lots of little ponds for the water to collect in. Plenty of skeeters and flying teeth so don't forget your bug spray.

Nuttz, those big signs will be needed. There are so many trails, logging roads, fire cuts and dirt roads you can easily get lost. And every one of them looks the same.

Old August 02, 2018, 17:04   #145
kotengu
Registered

Quote:
Got into town around 11 a.m. so drove out to the KH to see if I could find it. Saw Kelly walking across the parking lot wearing knee high muck boots covered in red clay. Followed her and her two helpers down to the meeting place for the beginning (300 yd range). Roads were wet and a little muddy mostly gravel. Easily passible with car or truck. Helped move some steel and target stands out of storage. It will be a great match. I left after helping a very little, and trying hard to NOT get in the way. She has everything under control.

It was surprising to so little standing water after all the rain the past couple of weeks. They have good drainage and lots of little ponds for the water to collect in. Plenty of skeeters and flying teeth so don't forget your bug spray.

Nuttz, those big signs will be needed. There are so many trails, logging roads, fire cuts and dirt roads you can easily get lost. And every one of them looks the same.
Good intel - thanks! I brought bug spray for ticks and chiggers, but I never considered mosquitos.

Or mud. Good thing I'm well-practiced in mud!
Old August 02, 2018, 17:29   #146
jcornss
Registered

Quote:
Good intel - thanks! I brought bug spray for ticks and chiggers, but I never considered mosquitos.

Or mud. Good thing I'm well-practiced in mud!
The mosquito is the SC state bird
Old August 02, 2018, 23:59   #147
Lurker66
Registered

FALaholic #: 79967
Good luck guys n gals. Hope yíall kick ass. Post up pics n give us a good report.
Lurker66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 03, 2018, 05:59   #148
Ted Kennedy
Registered

FALaholic #: 77365
Be safe - I hope y'all have a great run!
Ted Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 03, 2018, 20:14   #149
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 17136
Quote:

Nothing?!

That's hilarious.

Good luck everyone. Wish I could be there.
"How we burned in the prison camps later thinking: what would things have been like if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family? Or if during periods of mass arrests people had simply not sat there in their lairs, paling with terror at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, ham- mers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand. . . . The Organs [police] would very quickly have suffered a shortage of officers . . . and notwithstanding all of StalinĎs thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt." - A. Solzhenitsyn, Gulag Archipelago
brunop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 04, 2018, 18:47   #150
stimpsonjcat
I wasn't talking to you
Silver Contributor

Slackline wound...lots of these.

There might have been some mud...

Fabricator shot great, as did Kotengu, I had a yard sale and only finished ONE stage. Lots of lessons learned, some for the 2nd time. 2 upgrades inbound for my rifle.