Go Back   The FAL Files > To Keep and Bear Arms > Competitive Shooting

Notices

Old April 30, 2018, 00:44   #51
sniperdoc
Registered

FALaholic #: 80483
Quote:
Originally Posted by tac-40 View Post
sniperdoc, you gave me an idea. I'll have to take my Hakim out of the safe and see if it is accurate enough for this match. Since it is a direct copy of the AG42 that was fielded by the Swedes in 1942, I think it fits the bill. Egypt had it modified to shoot the German 8mm Mauser rounds (7.92X57), I also have the WWII ammo covered too. My pistol will NOT be the one I used last year, a Victory model S&W 38spl. I was at a disadvantage on the reloads and just could keep up with the pistols. This year will most likely be my BHP.
If I read correctly, the max distance is 100 yards,but I'm not sure what size targets are used. If the targets are standard b27 military silhouettes, your rifle should have no problems.
It may be allowed; it's not a firearm/caliber combo that was used in WW2, but it is a combination of a gun that was used and a caliber that was used.
Check with the Match Director, just to be sure, but I believe it is in the spirit of the game. (An M1 Garand in 308 wouldn't be, as the cartridge is posted WW2)
Best of luck with it!

As far as competing with a revolver, you would need a 1917 with Full Moon Clips to go up against Autoloaders.

Last edited by sniperdoc; April 30, 2018 at 07:49.
sniperdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30, 2018, 00:53   #52
sniperdoc
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by stimpsonjcat View Post
LOL
Hey match director, can I shoot my XXXXXX?
-what if it isn't in the original caliber?
-has an aftermarket flash suppressor?
-aftermarket sights?
-laser beams attached?
-extra-giant magazines?
-custom ammo?
-can I shoot it upside down and backwards since I broke/amputated my pinky toe?
-is there an extra fee to force you to stop being match director long enough to hear me explain how cool it is?
-12 of us want to share it during the match, can you schedule that?
-I am on drugs, and possibly drunk, can I still shoot?
-belt-feds OK?
-are you ordering extra t-shirts?
-will there be food? Will it be vegan/nut-free/keto?
-can I bring my pet?
-will there be a range I can sight in on?
-can I camp on the range?
-can I use tracers?
-I have a great idea for a stage, do you want to hear all about it?

That's all I got off the top of my head...I may check old emails when I get home.

Jess' Birthday is the 15th...they ain't coming. But if it ends up being a glitter-bomb party I may flee. Either to the cabin or up your way.
If you don't ask, you'll never know!
It would SUCK if you used your vacation days, travelled a long way to a match, and brought a bunch of stuff that upon arrival, you're told you can't use.
Old May 01, 2018, 06:07   #53
beseventeen
history of bad ideas
Contributor
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 75901
Quote:
B17, some more info on US female authorized uniforms and their theater of operations.

http://www.ddayohio.us/Reenactor%20Rosie.htm
Thank you!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniperdoc View Post
B17, if you are looking for something different, try the Pacific Theatre.
Britain in Burma/India.
Americans in Philippines/Australia/New Zealand/"Island Hopping"; both Army and Navy (don't forget that Navy Nurses were assigned to Shore Duty with Marines, so that's another Uniform option!)
Aussies/Kiwis, at home as well as deployed.

You may well know far more than I about WW2 in general, and about female service members specifically; I'm not trying to pretend I'm an expert, but I love the history.
Awesome, thanks for the suggestions! I'm trying to stick with a WAVE because my great aunt actually was one. So there's a little sentimental value for me there too!

Quote:
If I read correctly, the max distance is 100 yards,but I'm not sure what size targets are used. If the targets are standard b27 military silhouettes, your rifle should have no problems.
It may be allowed; it's not a firearm/caliber combo that was used in WW2, but it is a combination of a gun that was used and a caliber that was used.
Check with the Match Director, just to be sure, but I believe it is in the spirit of the game. (An M1 Garand in 308 wouldn't be, as the cartridge is posted WW2)
Best of luck with it!

As far as competing with a revolver, you would need a 1917 with Full Moon Clips to go up against Autoloaders.
We haven't hashed out all of the stage design yet - but usually the targets are generously sized. Either silhouettes or 5-6ish+ MOA steel.
"I know the stories of women murdering their ways across campaigns. Riding into combat on horseback and creating rivers of blood where they went. I'll be damned if I'm going to pretend they can't be killers in their own right."
beseventeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 01, 2018, 22:45   #54
sniperdoc
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by beseventeen View Post
Thank you!!

Awesome, thanks for the suggestions! I'm trying to stick with a WAVE because my great aunt actually was one. So there's a little sentimental value for me there too!

We haven't hashed out all of the stage design yet - but usually the targets are generously sized. Either silhouettes or 5-6ish+ MOA steel.
As a WAVE reenactor, you still have a number of uniform oprions, depending on the area/assignment you are portraying.
Literally everything from Dress Blues to Coveralls to Nurse's Uniforms to Fatigues.

5 MOA is reasonable: 5" @ 100 yards, 25" @ 500 yards, but 1" @ 20 yards and 1/4" at 5 yards
Old May 02, 2018, 05:44   #55
beseventeen
history of bad ideas
Contributor
Gold Contributor

Quote:
5 MOA is reasonable: 5" @ 100 yards, 25" @ 500 yards, but 1" @ 20 yards and 1/4" at 5 yards
Yeah, I mean for steel. Anything we have up-close in the short bays (25-50 yards) are going to be the full size IPSC torso targets.
"I know the stories of women murdering their ways across campaigns. Riding into combat on horseback and creating rivers of blood where they went. I'll be damned if I'm going to pretend they can't be killers in their own right."
Old May 02, 2018, 18:58   #56
sniperdoc
Registered

Quote:
Yeah, I mean for steel. Anything we have up-close in the short bays (25-50 yards) are going to be the full size IPSC torso targets.
Sounds like a lot of fun! My Screen Name comes from my Military Training; Medical and Sniper, but I love shooting of all tyoes. I really hope to make the Match this fall
Old May 02, 2018, 19:05   #57
Invictus77
1C 16:13
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74205
Quote:
If I read correctly, the max distance is 100 yards
Quote:
We haven't hashed out all of the stage design yet - but usually the targets are generously sized.
Last year the "rifle only" stage was at 200 yards sniperdoc. Don't let her fool you
Old May 02, 2018, 20:59   #58
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

FALaholic #: 12090
Quote:
Quote:
Last year the "rifle only" stage was at 200 yards sniperdoc. Don't let her fool you
And, IIRC, decreasing size!!

Even with moon clips (I used speed loaders), the six shots available put you behind the 🎱. In one stage you finished the cylinder on the popper that initiated a hiding swinger. The swinger would stop behind cover before you could effect a reload. Required the shooter to plan his reloads and of course the best laid plans fell apart at the first shot.

Schools uses to start with the "three R's". Reading, writing, and arithmetic. Now they start with the "three D's". Dipshitery, Dumbassery, and Douchebaggery-Retired Bum

If you do in fact have a problem, you have the rest of your life to solve it. How long your life lasts only depends on how well you solve it.
tac-40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 02, 2018, 21:04   #59
Invictus77
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Even with moon clips (I used speed loaders), the six shots available put you behind the 🎱. In one stage you finished the cylinder on the popper that initiated a hiding swinger. The swinger would stop behind cover before you could effect a reload. Required the shooter to plan his reloads and of course the best laid plans fell apart at the first shot.
....but you also had the option of throwing the grenades in the kiddie pool rather than shooting the moving target
Old May 03, 2018, 00:25   #60
sniperdoc
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invictus77 View Post
Match Directors often change things up to keep us humble shooters on our toes!

Last edited by sniperdoc; May 03, 2018 at 02:56.
Old May 03, 2018, 13:45   #61
stimpsonjcat
I wasn't talking to you
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 470
Quote:
Match Directors often change things up to keep us humble shooters on our toes!
Usually means something went wrong.

"The game is worth the candle...always been."

"It’s hard to light a candle, easy to curse the dark instead."
stimpsonjcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 04, 2018, 07:16   #62
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

Quote:
Yeah, the competitors figured out your evil plans and turned that course of fire into an easy one.

sniperdoc, stimpy has hosted a FAL match for 15+ years. Due to range constraints, the matches aren't long distance or as physically challenging as a run n gun. But, he has managed to challenge both the shooters abilities and the rifle's capabilities to operate under duress. Almost every year, FALs that have functioned correctly for years suddenly disassemble themselves in unique fashion. Or the shooter deciding to play lawn darts with his rifle, sans bayonet. This is one of the reasons why we keep coming back for more.

beseventeen is following his lead in her match designs. And this is what makes matches fun and exciting.

Schools uses to start with the "three R's". Reading, writing, and arithmetic. Now they start with the "three D's". Dipshitery, Dumbassery, and Douchebaggery-Retired Bum

If you do in fact have a problem, you have the rest of your life to solve it. How long your life lasts only depends on how well you solve it.
Old May 06, 2018, 03:28   #63
sniperdoc
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by stimpsonjcat View Post
Maybe in Civilian Matches, but the ones I shot in the Military were changed up to keep anyone from benefiting from past attendance
Old May 07, 2018, 15:22   #64
stimpsonjcat
I wasn't talking to you
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Maybe in Civilian Matches, but the ones I shot in the Military were changed up to keep anyone from benefiting from past attendance
Yep, and understood.

Old May 14, 2018, 05:58   #65
beseventeen
history of bad ideas
Contributor
Gold Contributor

Sooooo our very own Invictus just emailed me this pic...

He was awesome enough to make us a new trophy - a revolving trophy (so it will be given back every year) to the highest scoring competitor with a Garand & a 1911. Even MORE reason to join us this year!!

Thank you thank you thank YOU!!
Old May 14, 2018, 13:34   #66
stimpsonjcat
I wasn't talking to you
Silver Contributor

LOL the wine bottle holder...

Old May 18, 2018, 19:23   #67
Nathaniel01
Registered

FALaholic #: 72681
Enjoyed it last year, looking forward to this year.

.308 Garand is allowed, correct?
Nathaniel01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2018, 23:04   #68
Invictus77
Bronze Contributor

Looking forward to seeing you again Nathanial

If you are asking about 308 Garand legality for the overall Vintage match, B17 will have to answer that question as I do not know.

For eligibility to win the D-Day award however, a 30-06 Garand and a 1911 in 45ACP only.
Old May 20, 2018, 11:24   #69
ER

FALaholic #: 155
Nice trophy!!

I'll be there again this year, hopefully moving a bit faster, lol...

https://youtu.be/jI1VIZhUw7c

"I don`t care where I`m going, I`m just here to ride the train"
Some bluegrass song I heard on the radio
ER is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2018, 12:46   #70
kotengu
Registered

FALaholic #: 1594
That is a hella nice trophy!!
Old May 21, 2018, 20:29   #71
beseventeen
history of bad ideas
Contributor
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathaniel01 View Post
Enjoyed it last year, looking forward to this year.

.308 Garand is allowed, correct?
Yes absolutely. If you leave it unattended though I might steal it. Been looking for a 308 garand for a while.
Old May 21, 2018, 22:12   #72
kotengu
Registered

FALaholic #: 1594
Quote:
Yes absolutely. If you leave it unattended though I might steal it. Been looking for a 308 garand for a while.
Isn't this like street racing - where if you beat a guy you get to keep his rifle?
Old May 21, 2018, 22:39   #73
Invictus77
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
I will have a 308 Garand ready for pick-up at my FFL when I get back home later this week. I will most definitely not be bringing it to NC however
Old August 20, 2018, 13:30   #74
beseventeen
history of bad ideas
Contributor
Gold Contributor

Now that I'm (semi) recovered from hosting the Carolina Run and Gun, time to get going back on this match, which is now less than two months away!!

Old September 04, 2018, 20:23   #75
beseventeen
history of bad ideas
Contributor
Gold Contributor

Met with the other MD on Monday, starting to get super pumped about this One change to the rules this year - the carbine class will be required to put two hits on paper targets to neutralize them (much like 3 Gun, where your 2.23 folks hit it twice and your .30+ only have to hit it once). This will be more fun for the carbine people anyway so they can stretch out the legs on their massive 15-30 round capacity magazines! Ha!

We'd like to welcome Blue Collar Reloading back to our sponsor list for 2018. Can't say enough about them - fantastic customer service, great products, and competitive pricing. They will take care of you! They now have a website as well at www.bluecollarreloading.com

Old September 06, 2018, 11:15   #76
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

B17, if you need help as R/O's, let me know. I am planning on attending the match and participating.

Old September 13, 2018, 06:46   #77
beseventeen
history of bad ideas
Contributor
Gold Contributor

Quote:
B17, if you need help as R/O's, let me know. I am planning on attending the match and participating.
Might take you up on that
Old September 13, 2018, 06:48   #78
beseventeen
history of bad ideas
Contributor
Gold Contributor

Registration is OPEN!!! We have finalized the course of fire and will be posting that & a round count later this week. I'm super excited!!

Register here - Vintage 2 Gun Match. The fee is $25 for the match, $20 for PHA members and $0 if you volunteer to RO!
Old September 13, 2018, 10:44   #79
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

I got my registration done today while waiting for the storm to come. I thought about signing up as a junior since my constantly says I act like a little child.

Old September 13, 2018, 13:57   #80
jcornss
Registered

FALaholic #: 37954
In for service rifle
jcornss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13, 2018, 15:16   #81
Invictus77
Bronze Contributor

My personal laptop crashed yesterday and I had to clear it and reload windows. It may take me a day or two to get my Practiscore and PayPal set back up, but I'm "IN" and will get signed up soon.

Thoughts and prayers go out to all my Carolina Files brethren (and sister).

Love you all. Stay safe!!!
Old September 13, 2018, 15:32   #82
raubvogel
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64403
It would be amusing if the trophy was like the Ashes of the Word Cup Trophy, where it is handled to the next winner.

And the event was recorded only in black-n-white.

sniperdoc, I am not attending since I do not have any long guns that satisfy the rules, otherwise you would be welcome to borrow either my hi power or Arcus 98. Maybe next year.

Last edited by raubvogel; September 13, 2018 at 15:58.
raubvogel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 13, 2018, 20:32   #83
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

raubvogel, I will be bringing a spare rifle, probably a Garand, for the JIC. You are welcome to borrow it for the match is you want to. Just provide the requisite number of 30-06 ammo. I will also have plenty of clips so that won't be an issue either.

Old September 18, 2018, 19:38   #84
beseventeen
history of bad ideas
Contributor
Gold Contributor

I'd like to take a moment and introduce some more sponsors to this year's match;

Arrow Dynamics - specializes in building long range suppressed rifles, AR15 style rifles, and 1911 handguns.

H&M Gunworks - HMG™ manufactures reactive steel target systems as well as custom targets for all your shooting needs. HMG™ steel targets are always made of the highest quality AR 500 steel and engineered with the shooter in mind. Also offering amazing Sturmgewehr reproductions in many useful calibers!

Creedmoor Shooting Sports - Creedmoor Shooting Sports specializes in everything you need to get your long range game at its best. Optics, shooting gear, firearms, range supplies, ammunition, and more!

It's gonna be a great year yall! If you're on the fence about coming...don't be. We had a TON of fun last year and this year should be twice as big. It's a wonderful day of shooting, camaraderie, and seeing some REALLY cool guns you don't get to see every day.
Old September 18, 2018, 19:45   #85
Invictus77
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
We had a TON of fun last year
YUP

Old September 19, 2018, 22:46   #86
raubvogel
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64403
Quote:
H&M Gunworks - HMG™ manufactures reactive steel target systems as well as custom targets for all your shooting needs. HMG™ steel targets are always made of the highest quality AR 500 steel and engineered with the shooter in mind. Also offering amazing Sturmgewehr reproductions in many useful calibers!

And the nicest CETME L flats and 922r CETME L bits.

Quote:
It's gonna be a great year yall! If you're on the fence about coming...don't be. We had a TON of fun last year and this year should be twice as big. It's a wonderful day of shooting, camaraderie, and seeing some REALLY cool guns you don't get to see every day.
Thanks but I am good. As mentioned before, I have nothing that fits the requirements so I have no dog in this race.
raubvogel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 19, 2018, 22:58   #87
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

raubvogel, my offer still stands. You provide the ammo and you can borrow my Garand to shoot the match with.

Old September 20, 2018, 19:13   #88
ER

FALaholic #: 155
Last year`s match was quite a bit of fun! I shot rifle and carbine both, but I`m only shooting 1 class this year. My arse was dragging by the time I got back to Hickory!

Only issue I saw last year was the 200yd rifle stage. It was extremely hard to hear, or see, the carbine hits on steel. The rifles had no problem, but the 110gr carbine boolits were struggling when they got to the target, lol.

"I don`t care where I`m going, I`m just here to ride the train"
Some bluegrass song I heard on the radio
ER is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 20, 2018, 19:32   #89
beseventeen
history of bad ideas
Contributor
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER View Post
Last year`s match was quite a bit of fun! I shot rifle and carbine both, but I`m only shooting 1 class this year. My arse was dragging by the time I got back to Hickory!

Only issue I saw last year was the 200yd rifle stage. It was extremely hard to hear, or see, the carbine hits on steel. The rifles had no problem, but the 110gr carbine boolits were struggling when they got to the target, lol.
This time we're shooting a "mad minute" stage at 100 yards instead
Old September 21, 2018, 03:10   #90
sniperdoc
Registered

Unfortunately, I will not be able to attend this year.

Have fun and stay safe!
Old September 24, 2018, 12:10   #91
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

Finally got off my butt and made reservations.

Still deciding which rifle to use, but both are .30 caliber. And it is a toss up for my 1911 or my HiPower. Damn, decisions, decisions.

Old September 24, 2018, 20:49   #92
Invictus77
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Finally got off my butt and made reservations.

Still deciding which rifle to use, but both are .30 caliber. And it is a toss up for my 1911 or my HiPower. Damn, decisions, decisions.
Remember, a 30-06 Garand and a 45 1911 are required for the D-Day trophy if that affects your decision making process.
Old September 25, 2018, 14:45   #93
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

Quote:
Remember, a 30-06 Garand and a 45 1911 are required for the D-Day trophy if that affects your decision making process.
Not really. Seldom do I place high enough to win trophies and such. Just can't compete with those young studs with good joints and no foreboding about the pain coming the next day. Or those crazy wimmin like Kelly who run a marathon as a warm-up to an iron man.

Matches like these, I like to bring something different. I love seeing all the different weapons up close and personal and being able to handle them instead of looking at them through the museum display glass. Last year I really loved the '41 Johnston the competitor in the squad ahead of mine was shooting. I thought it was a lot handier than the Garand but way more complicated.

Old October 01, 2018, 18:59   #94
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

Two more weeks and IT IS ON.

I will practice for this one, a little, maybe, kinda. At least I'll shoot to verify zero and operability.

Old October 01, 2018, 19:06   #95
Invictus77
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
I will practice for this one, a little, maybe, kinda.
Practice, I thought we just did that last Saturday bro???

Swap out gunz, mags, and ammo in the truck and we should be GTG, right???
Old October 01, 2018, 22:47   #96
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

Quote:
Practice, I thought we just did that last Saturday bro???

Swap out gunz, mags, and ammo in the truck and we should be GTG, right???
As bad as I shot, I couldn't call it checking zero or functionality. I will have a backup with me if the one I decide to run goes down.

Old October 02, 2018, 20:49   #97
beseventeen
history of bad ideas
Contributor
Gold Contributor

Getting close, folks!! We have our course of fire posted here - https://www.vintage2gun.com/course-of-fire so give it a look-see. Reminder, this year carbine shooters will need to hit paper targets 2x to neutralize. The round count is approximate as we have a "mad minute" stage...how many rounds can you put on steel at 100 yards in a minute? Let's find out!

Old October 04, 2018, 17:24   #98
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

Going out tomorrow to check zero and make sure that I CAN hit what I aim at. Plus load the rifles with sureness and celerity. Forgot to add - and keep my thumb from being injured.

Old October 04, 2018, 17:38   #99
Invictus77
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
load the rifles with sureness and celerity
With much sureness I can tell you that celery will not work bro

Old October 05, 2018, 15:21   #100
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

Quote:
With much sureness I can tell you that celery will not work bro

The celery was for padding.