The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > Ammunition > Reloading Data

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 11, 2018, 18:50   #1
Datchew
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 65539
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Within rifle range of the Alamo
Posts: 301
reload recipe - use for all or sort all the brass?

I have approximately 2-300 pieces of 308 and surplus brass.
Most of it is lake city and was fired in one or the other FAL recently.
It all got bagged, de-primed, and re-sized as a lot.

I'm preparing to test a couple different loads (hoping to find good things with Varget) and here's my question:

Different brass will hold different amounts of powder and cause different pressures with the same powder and bullet.
How big a deal is this? I'm hoping for a generic load that will work on generic range brass for general use.
This would allow me to dump used range pickup brass, used 308 buddy's hunting brass, etc., into a lot and just reload it all the same way.
Datchew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2018, 19:15   #2
sjohnson
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 24502
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 448
When loading for "regular" shooting I like to sort brass by lot if possible on rifle cartridges. That way, if something goes wrong I have one less variable.

However, the number of uses of brass on pickup brass is almost always an unknown, so it's likely effort I need not take.

As long as you're not near max load, and watch for impending issues (you should be doing this no matter where the load came from), mixed brass should all go bang and put the bullets downrange at about minute of man or better IMO.

With cheap brass and components, this makes sense. However, with components going up in price the way that they have, either buying commercial rounds or careful reloading is my order of the day. This includes weighing cases as a measure of volume and other case prep.
sjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2018, 08:50   #3
Falfan2017
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 79031
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Gulf Coast, MS
Posts: 676
I used to sort brass but with service rifles that will probably do 2-4 moa anywgat I've found it doesn't matter. Just back off some from your max load to give you a bit of breathing room.
Falfan2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22, 2018, 11:32   #4
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor
 
hueyville's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 74557
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Foothills of the Blueridge Mountains
Posts: 5,707
Late to the party but when load a mix of milsurp if mostly Lake City I try to sort by date. Recently went through 1,200 rounds of once fired military range brass and over 900 rounds fell in the 2012 to 2015 date range. Rest were a mix of late 90's through 2011 sopackaged the mix together for busting plates, rocks and stumps with mixmaster FAL's. The sorted by year is used for when want to have a bit more confidence when shooting a more accurate rifle such as M1a's.

That said have a huge lot of mixed head stamps dating from 1960's to after Y2K from a myriad of manufacturers with unknown number of loadings. As the cases from above lot are fired the group of mixed headstamps will be rolled into the mix box and the matched year will go in buckets that are separated by year. Have 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 buckets with known low count of total loadings that as cases come out of tumbler separate for later projects where want to build a better load but not looking for match accuracy.

All the cases that land in the mix manufacture and date bucket wife probes with dental pick to feel for beginning of cracks and if pass her test they stay in rotation as do not load my range loads hot. While know some who retire after three or five loadings I keep using till case gives a sign it's ready for retirement. Honestly in real life unless shooting paper from a rest the mix manufacture/mix year range loads shoot as well as most bargain of the month import surplus ammo. All cases are prepped the same, use a proven general purpose charge of Varget and decent milspec projectiles and shoot MOA in a good rifle which is good enough.

As the buckets of low load count matched head stamp and date fill they get used for more important projects where sub MOA accuracy in appropriate rifles is more important. That said have many times run a five round sub MOA group from the total mix buckets of cases that could have three or thirty loadings. All brass is sized, trimmed to length, primer pockets uniformed and flash holes deburred first trip through the system. The bulk mix is loaded on a press using an RCBS X-Die ensuring even without trimming they never go over length and necks don't thicken either.

The matched brass is usually checked for length and handled more meticulously. In the end I find it convenient to have a mix of different standards of loads as allows me to wring out every loading from my cases as they get retired to mix bucket use then taken to ranges where picking up brass is either not allowed or troublesome and don't have to lament the loss of fresh new highly prepped cases? As to OP's question, I might match up the cases use to shoot my ladders and then groups as develop my load but once the development phase is done would prep the lot in similar fashion, drop powder and seat my bullet then let fly. Especially for use in an FAL which isn't really a match rifle from design.
__________________
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 22, 2018, 12:14   #5
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor
 
W.E.G.'s Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 1211
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Virginia
Posts: 39,712
Make sure the base-to-shoulder dimension is consistent from one brand to the other.

If you ran it all through the same sizing die without accounting for the different headstamps, you fugked up.

Sometimes, you can fugk-up, and get by with it. But, don't do it again.
__________________
.
.
.

Ask me about the Mason-Dixon FAL Collectors Association.
W.E.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22, 2018, 13:03   #6
davedude
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 20538
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Dallas-Fort Worth
Posts: 4,632
Quote:
Originally Posted by Datchew View Post
I have approximately 2-300 pieces of 308 and surplus brass.
Most of it is lake city and was fired in one or the other FAL recently.
It all got bagged, de-primed, and re-sized as a lot.

I'm preparing to test a couple different loads (hoping to find good things with Varget) and here's my question:

Different brass will hold different amounts of powder and cause different pressures with the same powder and bullet.
How big a deal is this? I'm hoping for a generic load that will work on generic range brass for general use.
This would allow me to dump used range pickup brass, used 308 buddy's hunting brass, etc., into a lot and just reload it all the same way.

I'm interested in this GP load too, although I would group military brass and commercial brass separately.

I also have Varget but also specifically a bunch of 145g FMJBT's to use up and I can't find a starting load. There seems to be a hole in load data between 150g and 130g. Some 147g load data out there but nothing for 145g and I swear I have some TZ80 pulls that are one grain lighter....

Would use this in the STG58 and Izzy mouser, just need a starting point.
__________________
There's only two reasons we showed up here, to party and kick some ass, and we're almost out of beer!
davedude is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 22, 2018, 14:03   #7
Sig220
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 11622
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: SE Texas
Posts: 5,560
Quote:
Originally Posted by davedude View Post
I'm interested in this GP load too, although I would group military brass and commercial brass separately.

I also have Varget but also specifically a bunch of 145g FMJBT's to use up and I can't find a starting load. There seems to be a hole in load data between 150g and 130g. Some 147g load data out there but nothing for 145g and I swear I have some TZ80 pulls that are one grain lighter....

Would use this in the STG58 and Izzy mouser, just need a starting point.
I would use the starting load for the 147g in loading your 145g. and then work up. -2 grains of weight won't matter in a start up load....and your on the lower pressure side any way. You will have to up the powder charge to get it to cycle your STG58 from that starting range most likely.
__________________
Sometimes you are the bug.....sometimes the windshield.
Sig220 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 26, 2018, 07:31   #8
762gunr
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 69517
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Florence Oregon
Posts: 1,168
Brass: Once fired SB sized LC
Rifle: 22" Savage Axis
Bullet: 148 grain FMJBT
-----------------------------
-----------------------------
Using S&B LR:
----------------------
44.5 TAC/S&B LR
Series, 6, Shots:, 5
Min,2788, Max,2812
Avg,2803 ,S-D, 9.3
ES , 24
--------------------
44.0 H4895/S&B LR
Series,11, Shots:, 5
Min,2803, Max,2836
Avg,2825 ,S-D,13.0
ES , 33
-------------------
45.5 Varget(light compression)/S&B LR
Series,28, Shots:, 5
Min,2787, Max,2816
Avg,2802 ,S-D,11.7
ES , 29
-------------------
47.5 BLC/S&B
Series,33, Shots:, 5
Min,2788, Max,2811
Avg,2799 ,S-D, 8.7
ES , 23
-------------------
46.5 Reloader 15/S&B
Series,46, Shots:, 5
Min,2784, Max,2815
Avg,2800 ,S-D,12.7
ES , 31
-------------------
45.5 IMR4166/S&B
Series,54, Shots:, 5
Min,2808, Max,2817
Avg,2813 ,S-D, 3.3
ES , 9
-------------------
46.0 WC748/S&B
Series,63, Shots:, 5
Min,2785, Max,2828
Avg,2810 ,S-D,15.8
ES , 43
-------------------
46.8 CFE/S&B
Series,68, Shots:, 5
Min,2788, Max,2826
Avg,2804 ,S-D,16.0
ES , 38
-------------------
44.4 IMR4064/S&B
Series,72, Shots:, 5
Min,2784, Max,2806
Avg,2794 ,S-D, 9.6
ES , 22
-------------------
43.5 H335/S&B
Series,73, Shots:, 5
Min,2802, Max,2836
Avg,2816 ,S-D,12.4
ES , 34
-------------------
44.5 IMR4895(light compression)/S&B
Avg,2776 ,S-D,11.8
ES , 26
-------------------
Norma 202 43.6(book max)/S&B
Series,48, Shots:, 5
Avg,2698 ,S-D,12.4
ES , 31
--------------------
43.0 Benchmark(book max)/S&B
Avg,2784 ,S-D,13.0
ES , 33
-----------------------------------
-----------------------------------
Using CCI #34's:


44.5 TAC
Min,2790, Max,2824
Avg,2805 ,S-D,13.3
ES , 34
--------------------
44.0 H4895
Series,18, Shots:, 5
Min,2774, Max,2811
Avg,2799 ,S-D,14.9
ES , 37
---------------------
47.5 BLC/#34
Series,35, Shots:, 3
Min,2801, Max,2808
Avg,2804 ,S-D, 3.6
ES , 7
----------------------
762gunr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28, 2018, 11:30   #9
Wil-C
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 17357
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Tx.
Posts: 1,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by Datchew View Post
I have approximately 2-300 pieces of 308 and surplus brass.
Most of it is lake city and was fired in one or the other FAL recently.
It all got bagged, de-primed, and re-sized as a lot.

I'm preparing to test a couple different loads (hoping to find good things with Varget) and here's my question:

Different brass will hold different amounts of powder and cause different pressures with the same powder and bullet.
How big a deal is this? I'm hoping for a generic load that will work on generic range brass for general use.
This would allow me to dump used range pickup brass, used 308 buddy's hunting brass, etc., into a lot and just reload it all the same way.
Use the winchester 748 powder and listed loads. Been doing it this way for 20+ years. No issues regardless of what brass I use & I never sort brass.
Pick it up, prep it for reload, use 748 & go on. No issues.
__________________
"A gun is a tool" .....Shane.
Wil-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28, 2018, 16:27   #10
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor
 
FALaholic #: 34604
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: SA Tx
Posts: 13,615
Quote:
Originally Posted by 762gunr View Post
Brass: Once fired SB sized LC
Rifle: 22" Savage Axis
Bullet: 148 grain FMJBT
-----------------------------
-----------------------------
Using S&B LR:
----------------------
44.5 TAC/S&B LR
Series, 6, Shots:, 5
Min,2788, Max,2812
Avg,2803 ,S-D, 9.3
ES , 24
--------------------
44.0 H4895/S&B LR
Series,11, Shots:, 5
Min,2803, Max,2836
Avg,2825 ,S-D,13.0
ES , 33
-------------------
45.5 Varget(light compression)/S&B LR
Series,28, Shots:, 5
Min,2787, Max,2816
Avg,2802 ,S-D,11.7
ES , 29
-------------------
47.5 BLC/S&B
Series,33, Shots:, 5
Min,2788, Max,2811
Avg,2799 ,S-D, 8.7
ES , 23
-------------------
46.5 Reloader 15/S&B
Series,46, Shots:, 5
Min,2784, Max,2815
Avg,2800 ,S-D,12.7
ES , 31
-------------------
45.5 IMR4166/S&B
Series,54, Shots:, 5
Min,2808, Max,2817
Avg,2813 ,S-D, 3.3
ES , 9
-------------------
46.0 WC748/S&B
Series,63, Shots:, 5
Min,2785, Max,2828
Avg,2810 ,S-D,15.8
ES , 43
-------------------
46.8 CFE/S&B
Series,68, Shots:, 5
Min,2788, Max,2826
Avg,2804 ,S-D,16.0
ES , 38
-------------------
44.4 IMR4064/S&B
Series,72, Shots:, 5
Min,2784, Max,2806
Avg,2794 ,S-D, 9.6
ES , 22
-------------------
43.5 H335/S&B
Series,73, Shots:, 5
Min,2802, Max,2836
Avg,2816 ,S-D,12.4
ES , 34
-------------------
44.5 IMR4895(light compression)/S&B
Avg,2776 ,S-D,11.8
ES , 26
-------------------
Norma 202 43.6(book max)/S&B
Series,48, Shots:, 5
Avg,2698 ,S-D,12.4
ES , 31
--------------------
43.0 Benchmark(book max)/S&B
Avg,2784 ,S-D,13.0
ES , 33
-----------------------------------
-----------------------------------
Using CCI #34's:


44.5 TAC
Min,2790, Max,2824
Avg,2805 ,S-D,13.3
ES , 34
--------------------
44.0 H4895
Series,18, Shots:, 5
Min,2774, Max,2811
Avg,2799 ,S-D,14.9
ES , 37
---------------------
47.5 BLC/#34
Series,35, Shots:, 3
Min,2801, Max,2808
Avg,2804 ,S-D, 3.6
ES , 7
----------------------
Pretty hot ass loads for an FAL I’ve got a cheapie Chrony I’ve never used. I may try it out this weekend. I’ve built a 748 load that sure seems hot. Had to dial off a lot of gas
__________________
Giving people the benefit of the means itís ok to screw you over.

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.
meltblown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 29, 2018, 01:26   #11
Bawana jim
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 17482
Join Date: May 2005
Location: west coast
Posts: 19,175
I load a factory duplication load and check it over a crony in everything I shoot jacketed bullets in. That has all changed now that they dicontinued so many really good powders. Now it's start over and find a new load until they discontinue more powders.
__________________
yellowhand "Six*men*can shut down the whole state"
Bawana jim is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:12.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
©1998-2018 The FAL Files