Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The AR Files

Notices

Old July 02, 2019, 08:11   #1
VALMET
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 1826
Colt 6920 FDE?

When did Colt mfg the 6920 FDE? Not simply with factory FDE furniture but rather the upper and lower in full FDE. Thanks in advance

"Dammit Smithers this is brain surgery, not rocket science. Now hand me that ice-cream scoop!” -C. Montgomery Burns
VALMET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2019, 08:52   #2
fly2.0
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 79608
Quote:
Originally Posted by VALMET View Post
When did Colt mfg the 6920 FDE? Not simply with factory FDE furniture but rather the upper and lower in full FDE. Thanks in advance
I think it was 2014 -2016 , It's when the expanse line came out . Colt CS can give the exact date .
((( Summer time ! Range time ! )))

((( Micro Galil / Colt )))
fly2.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2019, 21:20   #3
Blackford Oakes
Registered

FALaholic #: 82638
VALMET, fly2.0 is right on with the production years.

I know where a used one is if you want me to point you in the right direction. It has some wear on the finish.
Blackford Oakes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2019, 21:25   #4
lockjaw
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64904
Quote:
Originally Posted by VALMET View Post
I purchased both the green and FDE anodized versions when they came out, still have them stashed away in original boxes. They were decked out in Magpul furniture to match. The upper and lowers receivers, along with the extension were anodized.

They are interesting and look neat (though there was no color uniformity between the anodized parts), but I think the density of the anodization leaves much to be desired, though the FDE seems be "harder" than the green.

Based upon life events during the time in which the rifles were purchased, I am positive early-mid 2012.

I understand that Colt scrapped the project because of complaints regarding the poor color uniformity.... and there were also examples sold as blemished with splotchy anodized parts. You can still find anodized receiver extensions floating around forums and gun shows.
Old July 11, 2019, 09:51   #5
Blackford Oakes
Registered

FALaholic #: 82638
Quote:
Originally Posted by lockjaw View Post
I purchased both the green and FDE anodized versions when they came out, still have them stashed away in original boxes. They were decked out in Magpul furniture to match. The upper and lowers receivers, along with the extension were anodized.

They are interesting and look neat (though there was no color uniformity between the anodized parts), but I think the density of the anodization leaves much to be desired, though the FDE seems be "harder" than the green.

Based upon life events during the time in which the rifles were purchased, I am positive early-mid 2012.

I understand that Colt scrapped the project because of complaints regarding the poor color uniformity.... and there were also examples sold as blemished with splotchy anodized parts. You can still find anodized receiver extensions floating around forums and gun shows.
In talking to a work colleague this morning, you are right, lockjaw.

The anodized version was introduced first and, as you stated, after the complaints came in about the inconsistent color of the FDE, they eventually switched to Cerakote receivers.

Here is a photo of one of the anodized variants we had here at the office in August of 2013:

Here is the Cerakote. The last shipment from Colt on these was July of 2015.

Blackford Oakes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2019, 20:01   #6
fly2.0
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 79608
My Green anodized Is a Limited Edition . Colt CS told me by the S/N it was sold out of the factory 2013 & barrel has same stamp .

((( Summer time ! Range time ! )))

((( Micro Galil / Colt )))
fly2.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2019, 20:31   #7
VALMET
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 1826
Blackford- thanks for posting up those pics. I prefer that later shade myself. I was unaware of the variation.

"Dammit Smithers this is brain surgery, not rocket science. Now hand me that ice-cream scoop!” -C. Montgomery Burns
VALMET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2019, 19:40   #8
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
If didn't live in area where it's pretty much green hear round and have more FDE AR's than need would be on some of these for the collection but can't have it all. Do have a few Colt Competition upper, lowers plus barrels and build kits from when CDNN was clearancing off all their parts. I could Cerakote a couple of those kits in FDE and OD Green bit would not be legit, just bastard copies.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote