Notices

Old September 16, 2017, 05:25   #51
raubvogel
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64403
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphadog58 View Post
One more. Stopped at a LGS. There's a Egyptian FN-49 on the wall on consignment. The young man I speak to pulls it down so I can check it out. He explains at length that its a Hakim, blah, blah, blah. I pull my borescope out of my pocket and check the barrel. Its a sewer pipe. Kid says,"What's that thing?" I let the kid look for himself. He says,"Just needs a cleaning." Can't make this stuff up...
Larry
That is a different story:

When they sell it: "Oh the barrel just needs a cleanup to get rid of that cosmoline and gunk from sitting on the back of the safe. Owner shot it once and his wife kept it for 20 years before asking us to sell it. And ther eis no bulge in the barrel, they made it that way so it is stronger. All sales final."

When they buy it: (looking at a hanseld-like STGW57) "This barrel is a sewer pipe! What did you shoot on it? Rocks? And look at all those scratches. And this trigger! Completely unsafe. I am surprised it did not blew up and took your hands. I should call the police on you for trying to sell a clearly damaged beyond repair gun. But, since I am in a nice mood, I tell you what: I will properly dispose of it for you. I will even give $100 in credit for anything on my table."
Old September 16, 2017, 23:51   #52
raexcct2
Gimp Ex-CCT
Bronze Contributor
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 2784
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornpone View Post
I rarely go to a public range because I live on a farm but I have a friend who owns a range I visit once in awhile. Last time I was there I was shooting my FAL at the 300 range. Guy and his beautiful wife set up beside me. He has an AR. His wife kept looking over at me while he's trying to talk to her. My mag runs dry and I hear her tell her husband why don't we have a rifle like that. He glances over, looks back at her and says because it's a commie POS AK.

The range goes cold, everyone removes their hearing protection and she looks at her husband and says that's a FAL, The Right Arm of the Free World moron. The whole range bursts out in laughter. Husband packs up his AR and they leave. I told my friend who owns the range and he said she came back by herself about a month later with a SAR-48
LOL. That's hilarious.
raexcct2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 28, 2017, 13:27   #53
eyegun
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 19019
I used to sell AK's and SKS's at gunshows.

Every now and then some hayseed would ask me if I had an SKS in 223 (like he was going to buy anything anyways). They would absolutely insist that they had a buddy who had an SKS in 223.
eyegun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 29, 2017, 12:18   #54
lew
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 16727
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyegun View Post

Every now and then some hayseed would ask me if I had an SKS in 223 (like he was going to buy anything anyways). They would absolutely insist that they had a buddy who had an SKS in 223.
Their buddy was in the shit in Nam and would know better than yer bitch ass.

Old September 29, 2017, 14:07   #55
hagar
Registered

FALaholic #: 228
Quote:

You should have told them they are super rare, and you would pay $3000 for it.
hagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 01, 2017, 09:05   #56
madrad62
Registered

FALaholic #: 78107
big belly cigar chewers

If it wer'nt for those young guys that could't find thier as%$@les with a hand full of fish hooks,this industry would be dead.Everydody starts somewere. Back when I started in the game,there was no internet,just librarys and those fat cigar chewing know it alls at gun shows.99% of them had the attitude that if they told you they had to kill you.
Iwas in the market for a muzzle loader to extend my season.By word of mouth Ifound a lgs that stocked a wide variety of said arms that was in the next county over.I was an iron worker and worked all over the country side,Iwas in that nieborhood and stopped to check it out.He did indead have a nice selection of high end stuff.
while I was selecting the one Iwanted a couple of young guys ,21 yrs at most,came in and inquired about a 10mm{it was all the rage at the time].this guy blows them off because they were young and ignorant.
I finaly pick out a rather nice looking piece and ask the dude to bring it down off the rack for futher inspection.I was dressed in my work clothes,bib overalls,flannel shirt ,workboots,dirty, smelly and burnt from a day on the iron.This cigar chewing,bald know it all says "Why bother,you cant afford that anyway".I had $ 900.00 in one hundred dollar bills in my wallet and had picked one out that was $675.00 and was planning on some new accys to go along with it.
That stupid ass cigar chewing know it all lost out on two good sales that day.I walked out and never returned.Some two weeks later he was robbed and killed in his store and a bunch of his happy switch stuff went with the thieves-robbers[A couple months later they were apprehended].
Moral of the story? get your head out the sand and help educate these ignorant people. One day they will be the guy saying"can you believe what that dumb ass said".
I'm not educated, wealthy or belong to mensa,I just enjoy killng paper stapled to pallets and 12 oz. bottles hanging from strings.Everybody starts somewhere.
madrad62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 03, 2017, 01:39   #57
retired 1
Registered

FALaholic #: 75223
Back in the early to late 70s, I shot a Trapdoor a lot and always had people curious about what it was and what it shot. The natives were always impressed by the size of the 45-70 round, but none of them wanted to shoot it.

A couple of time with a Woo, guys would ask what it was. I'd tell them, and a few got to shoot the Woo. One guy thanked me and said that he wished he had one when in the service. He was too young for Nam and I didn't ask when and where he served, but he really liked the Woo and the way it shot. I told him to use the net to find one. Wonder if he ever did.

So not all encounters are with idiots, but sometimes it sure seems that way.
retired 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11, 2017, 12:33   #58
GySgt D
Registered

FALaholic #: 232
The last time some dufus told me "that's illegal!", I looked around conspiratorially, put my finger to my lips, and when "sshhhhhhhh".

People of good-will will be politely corrected, but overly bold morons won't be. That's how mean I am.
Th' FAL is wifout a doubt th' finess rifle available fo' defendin' yer mobile home or huntin' camp fum them uppity Federales. Yo' kin use it equally fine while jack-lightin' deer or keepin' th' possum sheriff at a comfy distance.
GySgt D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13, 2017, 20:51   #59
garyd1961
Registered

FALaholic #: 39373
I was at the gun show and two guys walk up to the table I was at. One guy picks up a Mosin M44 and tells his buddy it's an SKS then demonstrates how it functions.
At another gun show "two" Mexicans were filling out a 4473 form and when I walked past I noticed they had answered yes to four different questions. The vendor looked down at it and looked at me shaking his head as we both walked away.
Old October 13, 2017, 21:41   #60
nwobhm
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

FALaholic #: 9580
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagar View Post
You should have told them they are super rare, and you would pay $3000 for it.
Discussion on a 223 SKS:

http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?topic=11823.0
nwobhm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13, 2017, 23:10   #61
Stoney
Former 0311
Contributor
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 1205
i've shot a 223 in a sks once

Illegitimi non carborundum

A 1911A1 is like a Glock, except it's for grownups.

AMERICA! Designed by geniuses. Now run by idiots.

"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen." Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!"
Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Old Viking saying: Never be more then two steps from your weapon

Flying is a hard way to earn an easy living.
Stoney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 14, 2017, 06:13   #62
raubvogel
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64403
I would be surprised someone with enough tools, like the people who hang around at weaponsguild, has not grabbed one of those SKS receivers off gunbroker and made a .223 one just because.

And then a 7.92x33 to confuse the people around him at the range; they would think he is shooting 7.62x39