Notices

Old September 11, 2017, 17:00   #151
TxGunDawg
Registered

FALaholic #: 58435
Another great match. With great people.

I really enjoyed the stages.

Good job Matt.

Got to meet and work with another Filer which is always nice.

To the stats.

I started with 62lbs. 260lbs. total.

I finished with 56lbs.

Rifle: Shot 61 of 130. Dumped 5 for all the stages. Had a mag issued and dumped 3 on the last stage.

Pistol: Shot 71 of 120

Carried 3.5L of fluids and drank maybe .5L

Used 1 Gu packet.

Completed it in 97 minutes. Only jogged from stage 5 to the finish line. Walked everything else.

Timed out on the last 2 stages.

On 4, i spent WAY to much time on the range finder.

On 5, i just could not pull that dummy or move those ammo cans fast enough. Along with the mag issue.

Overall, i shot and ran OK.

Last edited by TxGunDawg; September 11, 2017 at 17:17.
TxGunDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 11, 2017, 18:29   #152
Nuttz
Semper Fidelis
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 69873
Old September 11, 2017, 20:19   #153
kotengu
Registered

FALaholic #: 1594
GREAT pic! Did Matt just lose a bet or something?
Old September 12, 2017, 07:02   #154
Damon23
Registered

FALaholic #: 78180
Quote:
Originally Posted by kotengu View Post
GREAT pic! Did Matt just lose a bet or something?
Nope. Just digging out my raffle tickets.
Damon23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12, 2017, 07:17   #155
TxGunDawg
Registered

FALaholic #: 58435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damon23 View Post
Nope. Just digging out my raffle tickets.
Which as I recall, was a gamble that paid off.
TxGunDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 12, 2017, 07:59   #156
kotengu
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxGunDawg View Post
Which as I recall, was a gamble that paid off.
He has got to be the winningest dude I've ever met!
Old September 12, 2017, 09:47   #157
Damon23
Registered

FALaholic #: 78180
Quote:
Originally Posted by kotengu View Post
He has got to be the winningest dude I've ever met!

Just dumb luck.
I really wanted that carbine...or at least an early shot at the prize table. I was almost dead last to the prize table in March as well
Damon23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12, 2017, 10:04   #158
Bryan 45
Registered

FALaholic #: 17465
Thanks to everyone who put forth effort and energy into this match. Especially to all the ROs that welcomed Thomas to their stages and encouraged him along the way.

2nd Place Combat class (4th overall) was a great accomplishment, but I enjoyed more the time I spent with him doing something that I love.

And for you stats nuts- Empty weight 167. Stepped on the scale at 229 at the finish line. Finished with 330+ rounds of 5.56 left over, 120+ rounds of 9mm left, and 100 rounds of 12 ga shotshells. (had to make weight somehow) Run time was 70 minutes, had ZERO wait time. Cleared what must have been 100 spider webs on the trail from Cowboy Town to the cave for all you guys, as I was the first runner though on Saturday.
Bryan 45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 12, 2017, 11:41   #159
kotengu
Registered

At least you missed the skunk that many saw! I cleared all the spiderwebs as the first runner on Friday, so you only got the super-industrious spiders who spent all night rebuilding. Just to have you crush their hopes and dreams Saturday yet again. ;-)
Old September 12, 2017, 21:05   #160
kotengu
Registered

Here's Stage 2:

Old September 13, 2017, 21:53   #161
kotengu
Registered

Stage 3: Tora Bora

Old September 13, 2017, 22:47   #162
stimpsonjcat
I wasn't talking to you
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 470
Not...ever...missing...this...again.

"Your 8mm FAL is like a deuce coup with a Ferrari pancake 12 under the hood and a Jaguar rear end. It just kinda transcends cool into fantasy."- USMC 0341

"The stimpgewehr is the reason Waldo is hiding."- Kotengu

"The game is worth the candle...always been."
stimpsonjcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 14, 2017, 19:32   #163
kotengu
Registered

I've been to a lot of matches over the years, but I've NEVER called in an air strike and had artillery simulators going off around me while shooting difficult targets.

Keep in mind when this really happened it was dark (around midnight), there were 20-30 bad guys instead of 5, and they were dressed just like the good guys and wearing suicide vests.

And that 60% of the competitors failed to finish this course of fire that was MUCH watered down from the real thing. "We're not worthy!" doesn't even begin to cover it.

Here's Stage 4: At Tanf

Old September 14, 2017, 21:03   #164
kotengu
Registered

While we were prepping for match, one of the 5th Group guys at one point said, almost as an aside,

"You haven't seen Legion of Brothers?"

"No" I said. "Is it pretty accurate?"

"Yeah" he said.

As with most things, I really didn't understand what he was saying at the time. I thought it was something like Blackhawk Down - maybe a little Hollywood'd up recreation of an event with some actors. But if he said it was pretty accurate maybe I'd watch it and be entertained while I learned a little bit more about what they did. I was wrong.

This is a documentary - with the actual guys and their families involved in the stories. I finished it tonight, and it is so much more than I first thought it was.

Buy it and watch it. We will never understand like those who were there, but I feel it is our duty as civilians to TRY to understand and not let all of what these guys and their families go through just get swept under the rug while the next "So You Think You Can Dance" episode comes on. It's sad that I'd never even heard of this movie until it was mentioned in passing just by happenstance.

With all they have sacrificed, the least we can do is try to understand and remember.

https://www.amazon.com/Legion-Brothe.../dp/B06Y4Q213B
Old September 15, 2017, 13:10   #165
kotengu
Registered

Because I'm nothing but a giant nerd, here are some stats about the 5k Match only - I didn't collect any data on the 2-Gun Shooters Sunday:

The lightest weight carried was 13lbs. By percent of bodyweight, 5.8% was the lowest. 76lbs was the most weight carried, and by % bodyweight 44.2% was the highest.

The fastest runner carried 42lbs, or 25.5% of his bodyweight. Yes, a Combat Class guy smoked every single one of us!

The average runner carried 42lbs or 22% of their bodyweight. The average .308 guy carried 44lbs or 22% of their bodyweight. 37 out of 69 shooters finished in Combat Class (54%).

The average female carried 23lbs or 17% of her bodyweight. However, I have to point out that the LIGHTEST competitor weighed in at 113lbs, signed up for Race Class, and told me multiple times she was just out there to have fun and that it sure was a beautiful day for a walk in the woods. When I did the math I found she carried 26.6% of her bodyweight over that crazy course and I don't think I EVER saw her without a smile on her face.

72% of the competitors DNF'd Stage 4 (on Saturday - the 60% DNF rate I mentioned with the video was both days combined). 51% of the competitors DNF'd Stage 5. Only 12% DNF'd Stage 3, 4% DNF'd Stage 2, and every single person finished Stage 1.

And here is the firearm data:

Old September 15, 2017, 22:23   #166
kotengu
Registered

Stage 5: Baqubah

Keep in mind when you're remembering how badly this stage kicked your ass, SSG Miller dragged SIX men over ONE HUNDRED meters to safety. We dragged one guy only 30 meters. The stage design actually started out with two dummy drags, but after trying it we realized not one person would finish if we didn't cut it back somewhere.

Sorry for the foggy video - when I really started sweating between stages 1 and 2 my camera lens started to fog over. And it just got worse as the match progressed.

Old September 15, 2017, 22:25   #167
kotengu
Registered

This will be my last post for this event. I can think of no more appropriate way to end this. I truly do thank God that such men lived.

Thank you all for coming so far to make this happen. And never forget.

Old September 16, 2017, 16:30   #168
Nuttz
Semper Fidelis
Bronze Contributor

Finally got to edit and post the GoPro video. I fast forwarded through the run/hike/boring parts and placed markers and pictures throughout. Pay close attention to the Skunk encounter shortly after Stage#2 (about 12:15). Ensure that young/sensitive ears are not around!

Thank you Matt and everyone that made all of this happen. I cannot wait to do it again!

Old September 16, 2017, 21:25   #169
kotengu
Registered

Awesome!!! If I could figure out a way to train a skunk to show up at every run you do in the future, I would SO do it!
Old September 17, 2017, 08:03   #170
Louis
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 72519
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuttz View Post
Finally got to edit and post the GoPro video. I fast forwarded through the run/hike/boring parts and placed markers and pictures throughout. Pay close attention to the Skunk encounter shortly after Stage#2 (about 12:15). Ensure that young/sensitive ears are not around!

Thank you Matt and everyone that made all of this happen. I cannot wait to do it again!

Forgot to ask, was that a Polaroid Cube you ran?
Old September 17, 2017, 08:44   #171
Nuttz
Semper Fidelis
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
Forgot to ask, was that a Polaroid Cube you ran?
GoPro Hero Session

Mounted it to my hat like this guy does. I didn't need to do the Velcro peice like he does because I just reversed the camera mount and the bump under the front of the mount keeps it aimed forward and up. The camera will fit in the mount either way very solid.

GoPro 3Gun video

I can take some pictures of it and the 5.11 hat if you want. It is very solid. I do recommend a 5.11 hat or another hat with a plastic bill and the elastic head band.

Last edited by Nuttz; September 17, 2017 at 08:54.
Nuttz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 17, 2017, 22:29   #172
stimpsonjcat
I wasn't talking to you
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 470
LOL

Barn o holes!

Louis in the hole!

Trained skunks with freaking LASERs on their heads!!!

"Your 8mm FAL is like a deuce coup with a Ferrari pancake 12 under the hood and a Jaguar rear end. It just kinda transcends cool into fantasy."- USMC 0341

"The stimpgewehr is the reason Waldo is hiding."- Kotengu

"The game is worth the candle...always been."
stimpsonjcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 18, 2017, 19:13   #173
kotengu
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by stimpsonjcat View Post
LOL

Barn o holes!

Louis in the hole!

Trained skunks with freaking LASERs on their heads!!!
Old September 29, 2017, 07:19   #174
kotengu
Registered

I lied - one more post. James Moriarty's family does a newsletter for friends/family of his son and he was kind enough to share with me his summary of this event. When I first heard that he was coming I felt immense pressure to "get it right" for his sake - and I can't thank each and every one of you for helping me to make that happen. I am so glad that this was a positive experience for him.

Shared with permission:

JFM Newsletter article on Run and Gun and TAPS

When we traveled to Dover to greet Jimmy on his last trip home, I thought “I’m never going to have a hunting, fishing or kart racing trip with Jimbo again.” That left me feeling extremely sad, as it has since then, because Jimmy was my best guy friend in the world. He and I had spent countless hours racing go-karts, hunting in Mexico or Africa, camping in Montana, and countless other guy adventures. Jimmy was the finest companion any guy could have, just ask any of his friends. I even cherished getting up at 2:00am to take him to the airport so he could go back to work after a weekend of [debauchery] dating and socializing.

In early August, I was contacted by a 5th Group Special Forces guy who told me they were going to do the first annual unofficial 5th Group 5K Run and Gun on September 9 and 10. I tried to not sound like a complete idiot for not knowing what a 5K Run and Gun is but I didn’t know if this was something that happens after you eat bad food or what. He also asked me if I wanted to participate. As he explained that this was a rifle and pistol shooting competition, combined with a 5K run intended to honor actual 5th Group combat scenarios conducted by 5th Group soldiers since 9/11. When he told me the first stage was in honor of Jimmy and Matt, I cried.

Keep in mind (a) I had never done a rifle competition, (b) a pistol competition, (c) a Run and Gun nor run in anything heavier than a singlet and shorts, so I was more than a little intimidated. Like REALLY intimidated. I thought it through and concluded “Yea, I get to go shopping!!” As I did. Napoleon would have been impressed with how I kitted out. I found one of Jimmy’s old ammo carriers which I modified to fit my much [less fit] smaller body. When I found one of his old Army training notes in the pocket, I cried again.

Setting this up gave me a chance to reach out to Jake and Carley, and to Casey [Removed], all remarkable 5th Group friends of Jimmy’s for advice on preparation and planning. Trevor Saunders, a 5th Group guy and Matt Stennett, the match director, keep me completely up to date on what was to happen and when and where. Rockcastle Shooting Center comped my room and board, Matt and Trevor arranged to get me transportation from the Nashville airport to Kentucky and I was given free admission into the competition.

I did the run, finished mid pack which I considered to be a huge accomplishment and had a ball. I was made to feel like a deeply loved and honored guest and I could not have enjoyed myself more. Jimmy managed to get himself involved with the finest group of people I have ever known and he would be so pleased that his 5th Group friends keep all of us involved in their lives.

I hate these wars but I love these warriors and I completely understand why Jimmy would (and did) give his life to protect them. They are the finest young people in our country and I could not love them more.

Last edited by kotengu; September 29, 2017 at 07:26.
kotengu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 29, 2017, 10:50   #175
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 17136
Man is that good stuff.

"I hate these wars, but I love these warriors and I completely understand why Jimmy would (and did) give his life to protect them."

That's great on a lot of levels.

I support any person who steals 3% from PP by conducting business transactions as Family & Friends transactions. This may impugn my character, and, according to Mark Graham of Arizona Response Systems, means that I'll lie, cheat, and steal from people here *if* there is anything about you that I don't like - or possibly even disagree with.

You may not want to do business with me. In case you forget this, this warning will appear in any future advert in the Marketplace. Consider yourself duly warned.

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showp...7&postcount=89
brunop is online now   Reply With Quote