The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The Revolver Files

Notices

Old August 11, 2017, 14:41   #1
Bakwa352
Registered

FALaholic #: 77836
Kimber K6S

What are your thoughts on the Kimber K6S lineup?
They look nice. Anyone handled one yet?
Bakwa352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11, 2017, 14:48   #2
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34604
Didn't know they made one. But yep and they're priced like a Kimber

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.
meltblown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 11, 2017, 17:07   #3
SWOHFAL
Registered

FALaholic #: 34346
Quote:
Originally Posted by meltblown View Post
Didn't know they made one. But yep and they're priced like a Kimber
Will they have the periodic reliability issues of a Kimber? Revolvers are actually harder to make than a semi-auto.

- Fyodor Dostoevsky
SWOHFAL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 11, 2017, 17:15   #4
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34604
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWOHFAL View Post
Will they have the periodic reliability issues of a Kimber? Revolvers are actually harder to make than a semi-auto.
Didn't know that. I've only had one and it was a sa Ruger Blackhawk.

My Kimber does fine. But, it's a shorty short 1911 and not a lot of fun to shoot a bunch of rounds albeit accurate as heck. Paid $800 but no way would I have paid the $1250 for retail side. Lately a little .380 pocket pistol does a decent job.

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.
meltblown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 11, 2017, 17:54   #5
SWOHFAL
Registered

http://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/re...gnum-revolver/

Sounds like it is not fully ready for prime time and while not unreliable, it offers nothing but a nicer trigger over its S&W and Ruger competition, something that either some Wolff springs and/or a trip to a gunsmith could fix, along with marginal to poor accuracy. Butt-ugly to boot.

- Fyodor Dostoevsky
Old August 12, 2017, 08:40   #6
Bakwa352
Registered

Red face

Quote:
http://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/re...gnum-revolver/

Sounds like it is not fully ready for prime time and while not unreliable, it offers nothing but a nicer trigger over its S&W and Ruger competition, something that either some Wolff springs and/or a trip to a gunsmith could fix, along with marginal to poor accuracy. Butt-ugly to boot.
The others in this line-up are certainly attractive as well. The appeal to the Kimber is definitely the extra shot while maintaining J-frame like dimensions.
In the comments the author of the article mentions others reporting some small issues that have needed to be addressed with their K6S's. I hope the bugs get worked out. Otherwise the Model 60 Pro or the SP101 are looking good (even if they do only have 5 shots ).
Old August 12, 2017, 18:35   #7
gunshack
Registered

FALaholic #: 17916
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakwa352 View Post
What are your thoughts on the Kimber K6S lineup?
They look nice. Anyone handled one yet?
Kimber used to have a good reputation, but quality issues (probably from trying to reduce manufacturing costs) have really compromised their reputation in recent years.

Like someone else stated, manufacturing a revolver requires more stringent tolerancing, quality standards, and inspection routines. Timing, ratcheting, and lock-up leave very little room for error.

So, here's a company that's had recent quality issues, rolling out a product that requires higher quality standards... No thanks, I'll pass.
gunshack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 13, 2017, 00:30   #8
SWOHFAL
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakwa352 View Post
The others in this line-up are certainly attractive as well. The appeal to the Kimber is definitely the extra shot while maintaining J-frame like dimensions.
In the comments the author of the article mentions others reporting some small issues that have needed to be addressed with their K6S's. I hope the bugs get worked out. Otherwise the Model 60 Pro or the SP101 are looking good (even if they do only have 5 shots ).
You could take a chance on Colt for that sixth shot, but I had a DS-IV, which is supposedly pretty much the same lockwork as the new Cobra and I didn't think much of it. SP101 looks good, but Smith sure made the 640 Pro ugly as well with their "upgrades."

- Fyodor Dostoevsky
Old August 13, 2017, 10:40   #9
gunshack
Registered

FALaholic #: 17916
Just a little anecdotal philosophy from a guy who knows how little he knows about revolvers:

I own a passel of Colt and Smith revolvers. When I was running a gunshop I did a lot smithing work on both brands (Rugers too.) Mostly cleaning, honing and stoning firing mechanisms, replacing broken shit and, once in awhile, cutting for fancy sights of some kind. So, I'm sure I have more experience than most, and far less than many.

If I was to carry a revolver for self defense I would carry a Smith or a Ruger. They are both very durable, and have extremely reliable firing mechanisms. I've seen some filthy guns come through the shop. I was often impressed that the rugers and smiths were still functioning, once I had them disassembled and could see the extent of the filth. But the colts' firing mechanism is finicky, and not as impervious to dirt as the other two brands I've mentioned.

If I want to punch holes in paper, I'll choose a Colt. The smooth feel of the Python trigger is unparalleled. And, the badass look will get you laid (if picking up lovers at the range is your thing.)

Actually, it wasn't the python that got me laid, it was the Diamondback .22.

Last edited by gunshack; October 14, 2017 at 15:46.
gunshack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 14, 2017, 11:18   #10
Bakwa352
Registered

Quote:
You could take a chance on Colt for that sixth shot, but I had a DS-IV, which is supposedly pretty much the same lockwork as the new Cobra and I didn't think much of it. SP101 looks good, but Smith sure made the 640 Pro ugly as well with their "upgrades."
The more I think about it, the more I think I may just go with the safest bet. The SP101. It's also cheaper. I've owned a few Rugers in the past and I have always been impressed by their quality and ruggedness. The downsides are that they tend to be bulky and heavy because of this.

Gunshack,
Thanks for your professional opinion. I love hearing stuff from the guys that have actually worked on the guns. As a low level hobby gunsmith [I fix friends guns when I can], I know that it gives a different prospective, for sure.

Now to just wait for the Labor Day sales on SP101's.
Old August 15, 2017, 11:49   #11
Timber Wolf
Registered

FALaholic #: 805
I really like my 3 1/16" SP101 for an easy packing .357. They appear to have a new 4"+ version (http://ruger.com/products/sp101Match...on/models.html) out that is kind of cute too. I should disclose that I kind of favor a Ruger wheelgun, especially in a magnum. Have several Security and Speed Sixes as well as Blackhawks in magnum and non-magnum calibers. Of course I have Colts and S&W wheelies as well, but Dad packed a Ruger (blued Speed Six) so my first love is the Ruger. First center fire handgun I ever shot was not technically as magnum, but it was a Ruger, a .30 Carbine Blackhawk. But I digress, a good Ruger magnum is never a wrong choice.

"Guns don't kill people. Daddys with good looking daughters do!"

Last edited by Timber Wolf; August 15, 2017 at 11:55.
Timber Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote