The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The L1A1, inch-pattern, and Indian Files

Notices

Old August 11, 2017, 18:38   #1
Ronin6.8
Registered

FALaholic #: 79882
So..how do U stop hammer pin from rotating?

I was cleaning my lower and noticed that the hammer pin was rotating when under load with the hammer spring, with out the spring installed, it's as smooth as butter?
Was wondering if anyone had a fix for this?
I've seen photos of lowers that someone tried to staking around the pin not going to happen! Over time I could see where this would elongate the pin hole.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated
Ronin6.8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 11, 2017, 19:02   #2
DakTo
MadMinuteDude
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 9689
For best results replace it with a better pin.
Old August 11, 2017, 19:34   #3
ActionYobbo
Registered

FALaholic #: 32542
Its the hammer causing this problem. Sometimes lubrication will resolve this issue if the hole is smooth and with out beaver marks
Old August 11, 2017, 20:27   #4
Ronin6.8
Registered

I'm using a new U.S. Made hammer, and break free for lube, I took the hammer and pin out of the lower and can spin the hammer like a top, pin is smooth and round.
Surly someone out there has an idea for a fix?
Old August 11, 2017, 20:50   #5
4markk
Military Observer
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 31134
Is it a metric pin in an inch lower?

“The worst thing about growing old is that other men stop seeing you as dangerous.” Act Of Valor

"A wise man gets more use from his enemies than a fool from his friends." Socrates
4markk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 11, 2017, 21:00   #6
Ronin6.8
Registered

No sir, UE59 L1A1, my UB58 L1A1 dose the same thing?
Old August 11, 2017, 22:25   #7
Illurian00
Registered

FALaholic #: 28599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin6.8 View Post
I'm using a new U.S. Made hammer, and break free for lube, I took the hammer and pin out of the lower and can spin the hammer like a top, pin is smooth and round.

Quite a few surly someones' around here.
Illurian00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11, 2017, 22:26   #8
OLDMANPBK
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 69978
I don't know how much this will help you as you may not have the measuring tools, but I'll give you the specs. These will be the maximum allowable sizes. The hole through the hammer .204. The hole on the right side of the receiver .299. the hole on the left side of the receiver .206. The shank of the hammer pin no less than .201. And the hammer pin shoulder no less than .293. Going through some of my inch lowers I found one that was on the low limit of all the specs and undersize on the hammer pin shoulder- .290 vs .293. This may be allowing the pin to move with the hammer. The hole through the hammer was also a tiny bit rough, which I'm sure doesn't help.

COBC #4
OLDMANPBK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 11, 2017, 23:16   #9
SAFN49
None
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 73015
Quote:
Was wondering if anyone had a fix for this?
I've seen photos of lowers that someone tried to staking around the pin not going to happen!
Center punch. This is how it was done by the military's that used the L1A1's. If it's good enough for them it should be good enough for you. I had a NZ contract lower that was punched.
SAFN49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12, 2017, 07:56   #10
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

FALaholic #: 12090
Had the same problem with an US Made hammer, pin and sleeve. The sleeve began binding on the pin and eventually caused issues in reliability (firing). After figuring out the problem, tried to polish all the surfaces smooth but finally replaced the hammer, pin and sleeve with OEM parts. No issues now and have over 10K rounds through it.

Lt. Col. Grant L. Rosensteel, Jr. USAF

If you do in fact have a problem, you have the rest of your life to solve it. How long your life lasts only depends on how well you solve it.
tac-40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 12, 2017, 09:46   #11
4markk
Military Observer
Gold Contributor

Quote:
If the pin is that tight in the hammer, then it sounds like you have a metric hammer on an inch pin.

Inch pins are thicker than metric. An inch pin should not go into a metric hammer UNLESS a lot of force was added. I had an SA lower awhile back that someone forced inch pins into the hammer and lower. Then wondered why it wasn't working. If you have to apply force, something isn't correct.

“The worst thing about growing old is that other men stop seeing you as dangerous.” Act Of Valor

"A wise man gets more use from his enemies than a fool from his friends." Socrates
Old August 12, 2017, 11:24   #12
J. Armstrong
Minister of Amusement
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 13629
Ditch the US hammer, replace with a milsurp one. Any other US fire control parts, scrap them, too. Few if any US FC parts are worth a damn anyway.

“I respect the government only in the sense that I respect any other dangerous predator who views me as food.”

“The consolidation of the states into one vast empire, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of ruin which has overwhelmed all that preceded it.” Robert E. Lee
J. Armstrong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 12, 2017, 13:16   #13
Ronin6.8
Registered

Thanks to all, I was trying to make it 922r compliant, do to NFA item in my locker, I do know 3guys personally that have had welfare checks in the past, hopefully, we'll have at least 3 1/2 year before that chit fires up again.

Thank you OLDMANPKK. I have calipers, but no pin gauges, I do have a pill of drill bits that might get my there.

Thanks SAFN49, if it comes to that, I'll try it from the inside, slowly but surely.

Thank you tac-40, I did notice that the trigger pull was much stiffer with U.S. Parts.

4markk, if the metric is bigger, is it possible to machine a metric pin down to a inch?

Thanks J Armstrong if it get to that, I'll have to do it
Old August 12, 2017, 13:31   #14
4markk
Military Observer
Gold Contributor

Quote:
4markk, if the metric is bigger, is it possible to machine a metric pin down to a inch?

Thanks J Armstrong if it get to that, I'll have to do it
When I said that the inch pin is thicker, I don't understand how you got that to mean that the metric pin is bigger.

The inch pin measures about 0.201" diameter on the shaft.
The metric pin measures about 0.195" diameter on the shaft.

So the hole on the hammer should be about 0.204" diameter (as stated before). If it is less than it is probably a metric hammer.

There are many good US made Hammers, triggers, and sears. I have several in my FALs with zero problems.

Measure what you have and post. We should have a better idea as to problem then.

Old August 12, 2017, 13:54   #15
Ronin6.8
Registered

My bad lol,
Old August 12, 2017, 14:35   #16
Ronin6.8
Registered

Ok U.S. Hammer .202, pin .201 in the middle and .199 at the left end that goes through the lower housing hole.
Found old hammer, .2045, left hand lower housing is .206
Old August 12, 2017, 14:39   #17
Ronin6.8
Registered

Right side of lower .300
Old August 12, 2017, 16:24   #18
Ronin6.8
Registered

Ok.. Reinstalled OEM hammer and it's fine now, I left the the trigger and sear in, actual has less creep.
So my ugly parts replaced count is still at 7
Thanks again to all
Old August 12, 2017, 16:49   #19
djfin
Registered

FALaholic #: 62265
Parts count

And just how many people are going to count the US parts in your rifle?? Just because you have an NFA does not mean that you are required to let anyone look at anything else. And second how many agents would know the difference between US and import parts.
djfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12, 2017, 19:50   #20
4markk
Military Observer
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Ok.. Reinstalled OEM hammer and it's fine now, I left the the trigger and sear in, actual has less creep.
So my ugly parts replaced count is still at 7
Thanks again to all
Or you could've chased the hole with a #6 cobalt drill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djfin View Post
And just how many people are going to count the US parts in your rifle?? Just because you have an NFA does not mean that you are required to let anyone look at anything else. And second how many agents would know the difference between US and import parts.
Nothing wrong with obeying the law and publicly stating so.

Old August 12, 2017, 20:41   #21
Ronin6.8
Registered

Thanks 4markk
I'll check to see if we have a reamer at work Monday