The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The FN Files

Notices

Old May 05, 2019, 02:17   #1
The Chief
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 76457
Bringing the FAL into the 21st century (sort of...)

BLUF (bottom line up front): If interested in the full story of this insanity, please see the dissertation posted below the photos

In short, Imbel GL receiver, Kaiser lower, and further details can be read below. I test fired this gal at 25yds, and the nine shots seen in these two groups were the first shots out of the rifle, no boresighting, and prior to gas-setting. Yeah, it's only at 25, but all considered, I think the groups were pretty solid for milsurp (LC14). Maybe I'll see what she can do with some 'better' ammo, at 100 at some point soon...

Nearly four years ago, I joined the FAL Files to embark on a journey, to build a para. ONE. Single. Para. [insert FAL-aholic joke here] The twists and turns are too numerous to recall and, in the process, I've built way more of these rifles than I ever thought I would, and learned more about them than I ever imagined possible. That para project would intermittently build up steam, then focus would turn elsewhere (ref. 'D66' build, early StG, a child being born, Aussie, LEO, wife leaving, etc...). Time passed and, in late 2017, I bought a mashup of odd parts from member 'goodorbit', which set me on the firm path that yielded the conglomeration seen above.

It started with the barrel, a 30-06 Remy 700 barrel that member 'bloodoftyrants' converted to short-gas FAL; it was a tricky install due to the odd taper, but the lead-lined GunThings vice did the trick. Member 'FUUN063' cut and crowned the muzzle at just over 16" and threaded for 5/8-24 for the muzzle OSS device + jam nut. I got the receiver from, iirc, member 'snugglebutt' and I made the 'nose cut' the day I picked it up. The FSE charging handle also came in the kit with the barrel, as did the short piston + tube (Leland cleaned these up perfectly, also). I recall getting the Stanag Argy para topcover from member 'D. Lehrman' and I pulled the scope mount off of it, cuz I cannot seem to find an OEM para cover (I know, common problem). The barrel profile pretty much requires either a custom handguard ring or the DSA railed HG, due to the way it mounts. I had member 'Dr Shock' do some custom milling on a DSA HG to remove the rails at 3, 6, and 9 o'clock, did some of my own dremel work to blend lines, then had the thing cerakoted.

Moving rearward, you'll notice the Kaiserworks lower, the opportunity for which was graciously provided by 'raexcct2' a couple years back. I mocked it up (e.g., fully-assembled), hand-fitting the selector to be sure it operated smoothly. I also hand-fit the frame lock to ensure the lever didn't rub, and that the engagement was perfect when I locked the upper and lower together. This required a 1X oversize lug from 'JohnnyJohnsoninWI', and it snapped home like a champ. Also, a shout out to Scott Chin ('bestparts' on GB) for the perfect lock lever. The hammer, trigger, and sear are mid-50s FN, and the trigger is a type-A, which works great with the DSA extended change lever. I think I got these HTS from 'munchoman' at the original inception of this project. Once I was satisfied that the trigger housing mechanics were perfect, I pulled it apart for refinish (more on that later). There's a semi-only trigger plunger in there, and a trigger return spring I ensured would provide a positive reset, but without the 12lb force required to break. In fact, the trigger breaks at a repeatable ~5 lbs with a very nice reset (still need to check it with a pull gauge). It's the smoothest FAL trigger I've ever felt, and it is protected by a DSA 'winter' trigger guard. Has a pretty charming aesthetic to it. I am a fan.

Further concerning the fire control group, there's an Argy para carrier from Sarco, and the bolt is a hoot -- it's an Australian bolt, but with Brit guts and markings (off topic, but had I thought about it, I'd have used this bolt for the damn D66 build, since there's no 'D' marking on it, but it still classifies as a 'Brit bolt' *sigh*). Anywho, MSM/Countershot para springs (some NOS Belgian springs in reserve) and a dingus tube from Numrich (I think?) A few other milsurp incidentals, Argy bolt catch, FSE/SloCat mag catch, and Israeli style joint pin -- I said 'style' as I have cause to believe it to be one of mountainman's creations, a fine piece and very solid.

The Daniel Defense rear sight (which is for sale, if anyone is interested) will be replaced by either a Midwest or the Larue, just due to aesthetics (I'm picky af). Just below that rear sight, you'll notice the QD sling socket... then you might recall another one up front on the HG screw. I came up with that mounting method because I didn't want the sling to pull the HG asunder, and I don't really care to use rail-mounted sling connections. Capped the other end of both securing screws with, well, cap-nuts, and *!pow!* an extremely secure sling mounting solution. Thanks folks, I'll be around all week. I went a little crazy with the receiver extension and grabbed a pricey (imho) Strike Industries tube, just cuz I like the way it looks. I have mixed feelings on the Strike stock, and I'm still considering what I want to use, but this one may just stay on there. I may eventually mount a red-dot 'scout' style, but I'll have to see, as that will mean a riser for a good weld.

What really makes this rifle special is the finish (this is the "bringing ... 21st century" part). Yeah, it looks plan-jane black like most other black rifles, sure. What you can't see is the extreme toughness and corrosion resistance of the QPQ nitride treatment on 90% of this rifle. For obvious reasons, aluminum parts, springs, bolt catch and gas plug (captive springs), chrome gas piston, hammer, sear, or firing pin were not treated. The rest, seriously everything else, even the stand-off washers (beneath the sling QDs), top cover, and return spring dingus tube are all QPQ treated. I want to resound a huge 'thank you' to member 'ironworker' for introducing me to nitriding in the first place, and to Mr Jon Wolfe (Wolfe Firearms in NC) for his kind help in making this (and several other projects) that much better. At some point, I'll be posting a review of that experience more in-depth in the 'Review' section of the forum.

I joined the 'Files for the sole purpose of building ONE para FAL, and the stock on this one doesn't even fold I blame all of you for the debauchery that has since ensued. On deck, though it may be awhile, will be an entirely unreasonable Commonwealth SLR on a Buena Park receiver. Mostly Aussie, but with a few Brit and Canuck parts, it will essentially be the nitrided 'inch' brother of the rifle in this post, just a bit more original to form. Also, I'll likely be working up an all-QPQ'd 12" para SBR, with a lower I've already had treated. Stay tuned... and yes, I know I'm crazy.
COBC #66
FarkŰn Snŕekee Bast´tch
(formerly 'Capt D')
The Chief is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 05, 2019, 06:49   #2
STGguy
Registered

FALaholic #: 81733
Nice!

If you want a treat, Every FAL I've ever known Loved the 168 match bullets. If you don't handload, Fed GM 168 gr are fun for a treat at 100yds. $1/ shot though.... If you don't reload.
STGguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 05, 2019, 07:36   #3
pl521
Registered

FALaholic #: 74645
I like that build a lot; unique and different from other para builds with adjustable stock. With the groups you’re getting even at 25 yds, she’s a keeper.
pl521 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 05, 2019, 07:59   #4
hkshooter
Mighty Fine!
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 5391
Looks sharp, Art. Good work.

Now, you have your contracted single rifle, plus many more that were not given as part of the plan you proposed and were not included in your contract. So to avoid any unfortunate legalities you must forward any uncontracted rifles and associated parts and materials to me.
I'll PM you my shipping information.
Old May 05, 2019, 08:20   #5
imacoonass01
Veteran Member
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 80275
Cool looking riFAL. I been saying that I want to build one, but just put it on the back burner. Now, you got me wanting to start getting the parts procured, to make it happen. Thanks a lot!
Old May 05, 2019, 08:50   #6
Invictus77
The Colonel 1C16:13
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74205
via Imgflip Meme Generator
Old May 05, 2019, 09:11   #7
1911Ron
Registered

FALaholic #: 17513
Wow talk about a mutt! Very cool,glad it turned out well for you.
Old May 05, 2019, 09:23   #8
Arby
Old Fart
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 653
Nice job, Chief!
Arby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 06, 2019, 23:46   #9
The Chief
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

Man, tough crowd LOL How's this? Any better?
(ignore the Aimpoint, was a temp install, unsure about an optic yet)

COBC #66
FarkŰn Snŕekee Bast´tch
(formerly 'Capt D')
Old May 06, 2019, 23:54   #10
Redoubt
Gunnin'
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 82243
Nice rifle!
Cool to see something a little different.
Old May 07, 2019, 20:16   #11
kansas boy
Registered

FALaholic #: 65892
Nice build and a good story!

Needs a SAW grip
kansas boy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 07, 2019, 21:05   #12
hkshooter
Mighty Fine!
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 5391
I like the para stock better. The other one just looks....wrong.
A nice option could be that new fangled fancy adjustable stock DSA worked on for ages. I forget what it's called.

This one.
https://dsarms.com/p-16785-ds-arms-s...fle-stock.aspx
Old May 07, 2019, 21:35   #13
The Chief
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkshooter View Post
A nice option could be that new fangled fancy adjustable stock DSA worked on for ages. I forget what it's called.

This one.
This may not sit well with a certain prominent member here, but I hate the look of that stock lol I am considering the ACR type, but I got some recent news that has all but put intensive building on the back-burner

Quote:
Originally Posted by kansas boy View Post
Needs a SAW grip
Y'know, I think you're right
COBC #66
FarkŰn Snŕekee Bast´tch
(formerly 'Capt D')
Old May 07, 2019, 21:43   #14
4x401
Giver of Noogies...
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 31978
AR stocks belong on well....AR's.

Other than that its ok.

"Put your thumb up, hit the bolt release, and quit phuking with God and Eugene"
4x401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 07, 2019, 22:00   #15
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 96
Gotta say, the new DSA stock works pretty well. Not tight enough on lockup, and it can't be readily disassembled, but from function, it beats the ACR hands down.
Old May 07, 2019, 22:00   #16
kansas boy
Registered

FALaholic #: 65892
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkshooter View Post
I like the para stock better. The other one just looks....wrong.

This one.
Yeah, I heartily agree.
kansas boy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 09, 2019, 07:29   #17
Slaughter
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 73180
Purists may turn their noses up at a "modernized" FAL - but to my way of thinking, it is a SHOOTER and not a safe queen.

I'd always been curious about those DSA stocks for a couple future builds I have boxed away.
Slaughter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 09, 2019, 11:59   #18
lew
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 16727
For the love of God, get that red dot mounted on a receiver mount. Definitely looks better with the conventional Para stock.

"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence." -Christopher Hitchens

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." -H.L. Mencken
lew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 09, 2019, 12:52   #19
Invictus77
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lew View Post
For the love of God, get that red dot mounted on a receiver mount. Definitely looks better with the conventional Para stock.
^^^^THIS^^^^

Whatever aesthetics the para stock improved was discounted by the forward mounted optic bro

I am still uncertain which RED button I want to push???
Old May 09, 2019, 13:36   #20
The Chief
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

Jeezus ppl, I said pay the red dot no mind, just fuggin ignore it.
It's the only photo I had at the moment.
COBC #66
FarkŰn Snŕekee Bast´tch
(formerly 'Capt D')
Old May 09, 2019, 13:41   #21
Invictus77
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chief View Post
Dang Art, no one has even commented about the lack of toes and booze.

How much slack do you think you can get around here with your photos?

Heck, I thought me and the tribe were all being pretty gentle with you
Old May 09, 2019, 13:58   #22
The Chief
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invictus77 View Post
Dang Art, no one has even commented about the lack of toes and booze.

How much slack do you think you can get around here with your photos?

Heck, I thought me and the tribe were all being pretty gentle with you
Shee-it, duck's back and water, thick skin here bro -- no hurt feelins, but no time either, to take photos in the last several days... I'll get some more worthy ones, with all boxes checked
COBC #66
FarkŰn Snŕekee Bast´tch
(formerly 'Capt D')
Old May 14, 2019, 08:04   #23
dan-z
Registered

FALaholic #: 82569
She's so ugly she's pretty - somehow!! Nice build!
dan-z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2019, 08:26   #24
tothemax
Registered

FALaholic #: 61816
I like the para stock model.
Old May 14, 2019, 08:43   #25
AFeod
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 75606
Strong work Art, she looks great!
Old May 14, 2019, 11:41   #26
lew
Registered
Contributor

Quote:
You expect us to read everything?! You fascist.

"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence." -Christopher Hitchens

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." -H.L. Mencken
Old May 14, 2019, 16:02   #27
Uriah Lee
Registered

FALaholic #: 81151
Nice work, Chief. I'll agree with the views on using the para stock and moving the red dot back to the dust cover. I especially like the way you had that quad rail de-horned. I tried one of those way back years ago and just could not learn to love the cheese grater grip. Even with slot fillers they sucked. And great effort around the barrel shortage problem by re-purposing a bolt gun tube.
Uriah Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2019, 20:18   #28
The Chief
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

Comments appreciated, good, bad, and ugly hahaha

This was what I was waiting for, the stock seen below. Toes and booze present, as well as an ammo can. I'm using that para lower on an SBR now, which is in the works. This rifle, as is seen here, is actually quite light. I still need to get a trigger pull gauge on it, however. Anywho, love it or hate it, here she is... only awaiting the Larue fixed rear sight to top off the back end...

COBC #66
FarkŰn Snŕekee Bast´tch
(formerly 'Capt D')
Old May 14, 2019, 21:18   #29
Randall
Registered

FALaholic #: 4979
I like it, but what is most important is that you like it!
Old May 15, 2019, 11:56   #30
lew
Registered
Contributor

The vodka has my interest, too. Takes me back to my college days.

Old May 15, 2019, 13:21   #31
Invictus77
Bronze Contributor

You can call me a traditionalist, a backward thinker, a non-progressive, or you can just call me a dik-hed, but I can't find any love for that stock on an FAL

It is certainly "different" and if that is your goal, you have achieved success! Regardless of my thoughts on the aesthetics of the riFAL, if you are happy with it, then I am happy for you! Well done Art

I will say your photography skills have drastically improved bro
Old May 16, 2019, 07:41   #32
Impala_Guy
Registered

FALaholic #: 55819
Quote:
Man, tough crowd LOL How's this? Any better?
(ignore the Aimpoint, was a temp install, unsure about an optic yet)

Much better

I thought you were going to put a Manta Tac Wrap on the front?
Old May 17, 2019, 11:14   #33
madmike262
Registered

FALaholic #: 82370
para fal

Great looking gun.
madmike262 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2019, 12:49   #34
LKY_13
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 41000
Beautiful rifle art!! I love it. I only wish that I could see it in person, knowing that your OCD level matches or rather even exceeds my own.
Hope you get a chance to share some more range reports in the future.
LKY_13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2019, 13:31   #35
Tobias Took
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 79463
Quote:
Comments appreciated, good, bad, and ugly hahaha

Needs a Red Dot.

I kid, I kid. It looks like a fun rifle. I'd like to shoulder it to see how the new stock cheek welds.
Tobias Took is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2019, 23:14   #36
The Chief
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

Figured I'd take a couple min and reply to a few of the posts y'all made. I'm getting SBR paperwork together for that folder lower, thinking, if I'm gonna pay the man, I just as soon be able to get the thing as 'compressed' as possible. What's the point of a 12.5" barrel, if it's still not transported easily, right? Oh, and one thing I forgot to mention, that folding lower was the one used for live-fire. Even with the aluminum buttplate, it was actually quite soft-shooting.

STGguy - I'll definitely give the 168 grain pills a go. The ol' AR-308 and M1A love those, gonna hafta see how this barrel does... I don't even know the twist rate haha

pl521 - thank ya sir, I'm hoping to get some better groups, as well as seeing how she does after a few mags, while hot. I'll post some more range report fodder, if any are interested, once I get er out there again...

hkshooter - Troy, bruh you crazy haha But I will say the learning experience was well worth the effort, even if I ever only do end up with just one... but that ain't never gonna happen

imacoonass01 - I know what you mean; I allowed myself to talk myself into another ridiculous build, a SBR w/ the QPQ treatment and a 12.5" bbl

lew - yeah, I thought the RDS woulda looked a bit cooler, but I just can't get around either putting a bulky railed top cover, and I don't even like it on the HG. I'm gonna just get a fixed rear sight, and keep 'er irons-only. Who ever had a battery go dead on irons

Invictus77 - Mike! Of course I think of you as none of those things. Of course the traditional 'look' is preferable, but sometimes I just feel the need to shake the foundations a bit. Hey, when's the next time you're in SLC? Perhaps I could plan my next trip out there to coincide...

LKY_13 - Justin, thanks for the kind words. Depending on how dick the airlines are with baggage fees, I might actually bring this one to SLC next time I come thru. If I do, I'll be sure to let ya know
COBC #66
FarkŰn Snŕekee Bast´tch
(formerly 'Capt D')
Old May 19, 2019, 14:53   #37
Jarhead504
Registered

FALaholic #: 65022
It looks pretty slick and purposeful to me Brother The Chief.

Jarhead
Near Cajun Country
Old May 19, 2019, 23:45   #38
The Chief
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impala_Guy View Post
I thought you were going to put a Manta Tac Wrap on the front?
I was gonna, but that ended up on the Desert Tech bullpup (SRS). I might still do that, but I'll needa buy another Tac-Wrap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarhead504 View Post
It looks pretty slick and purposeful to me Brother The Chief.

Jarhead
Near Cajun Country
It appears the purpose, unintended though it may be, is to disgust the purists hahaha I kid, of course. I really just wanted to take some of the oldest FAL parts I could find, couple them with some newerfandangled parts, and see what happened... and, well, this is what happened

Still need to make it to the range, to see how she does with the can...
COBC #66
FarkŰn Snŕekee Bast´tch
(formerly 'Capt D')