The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > Curios & Relics

Notices

Old May 12, 2019, 15:34   #1
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

FALaholic #: 12090
I hate bucket lists

My bucket list has contained a number of firearms that I would like to own. Kind of a collection of sorts. My list is actually all of the main issued firearms of the US that have been used in conflicts involving the US. Over the years the list has evolved to NOT including subguns or their bastardized SA clones, or duplicates including those modified into different rifles.

Two rifles/carbines have eluded me for years, either being hard to locate a good working rifle, or expensive beyond what I want to spend. The 1941 Johnson and a 30-40 Krag.

While helping out my LGS this weekend during one of his sponsored blood drives, I was rummaging around up in the graveyard looking for a shotgun forearm to replace a customer's broken one. Low and behold I found not one but two 1941 Johnson rifles. One was a carbine and the other was a full length rifle. The rifle had a price tag on it at $7K↑↑. Wow, spendy. The carbine did not have a price so I asked the owner how much and he told me $500 more than he spent on it. I told him I would take it, but needed to have some time to look it over. He said it had a cracked stock, so that is a downer because I know finding wood for it is next to impossible.

So wish me luck. I am going back on Wednesday and go over it with a fine tooth comb and make sure it is GTG other than the stock along with checking to see how bad the stock really is.

Schools uses to start with the "three R's". Reading, writing, and arithmetic. Now they start with the "three D's". Dipshitery, Dumbassery, and Douchebaggery-Retired Bum

If you do in fact have a problem, you have the rest of your life to solve it. How long your life lasts only depends on how well you solve it.
tac-40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2019, 17:35   #2
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 67949
I'll fix the stock for you.

It ain't the firearms they are wanting to be rid of, its you!
yellowhand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2019, 17:37   #3
J. Armstrong
Minister of Amusement
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 13629
Oh, man, hope this works out for you. Pix would be nice if you close the deal .

Good luck !

“I respect the government only in the sense that I respect any other dangerous predator who views me as food.”

“The consolidation of the states into one vast empire, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of ruin which has overwhelmed all that preceded it.” Robert E. Lee
J. Armstrong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2019, 17:40   #4
skinnydash
Registered

FALaholic #: 79317
After looking it over and possibly buying it, head over to the Johnson site. They'll want to see pics. Joseph Scott has made repro stocks in the past and may still have them for sale.

http://johnsonautomatics.com/message...on-1941-rifle/

Last edited by skinnydash; May 12, 2019 at 17:45.
skinnydash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2019, 17:57   #5
VALMET
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 1826
Hope it works out for you tac, 1941 Johnsons’ are cool, unique rifles.

"Dammit Smithers this is brain surgery, not rocket science. Now hand me that ice-cream scoop!” -C. Montgomery Burns
VALMET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2019, 19:51   #6
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowhand View Post
I'll fix the stock for you.
Thanks, I have seen your work and appreciate the offer. I really have to see what this looks like under closer inspection and then decide if it is worth the price.

Schools uses to start with the "three R's". Reading, writing, and arithmetic. Now they start with the "three D's". Dipshitery, Dumbassery, and Douchebaggery-Retired Bum

If you do in fact have a problem, you have the rest of your life to solve it. How long your life lasts only depends on how well you solve it.
Old May 12, 2019, 23:44   #7
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tac-40 View Post
Thanks, I have seen your work and appreciate the offer. I really have to see what this looks like under closer inspection and then decide if it is worth the price.
I enjoy these complete restorations, shout if I can be of help, hope the rifle works out for ya.

I searched high and low for an original 1903A4 for 30 yrs, gave up, then had one drop into my lap one day.

Good luck.

Old May 14, 2019, 11:32   #8
V guy
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 10282
http://www.murraysgunstocks.com/MilitaryGunstocks.php
Another source for Johnson wood. Expensive.

Maybe Flypaper would take the task on?

I had two Johnsons over the years; I am done with them, I think.

I just picked up a 30-40 Krag 1895 Winchester made in 1913; I also have a cut down 30-40 Krag Carbine.

I also have the 03A3 bug again, and have picked up two more in mint condition.
V guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2019, 13:55   #9
Riversidesports
keeping it cool
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 36091
My understanding was that the carbines were manufactured post War. They were either made by Johnson Arms with a shadow line cheek piece butt if cut downs done in the 60s by various distributors to enhance salability on the US market.

Back in the 70s a fair number were "restored"
At the time Numrich Arms still had new old stock Johnson barrels and furniture sets. We swapped one out maybe around 75'

Have a loose sporter butt YH could fix up, be pretty reasonable but he could likely do a hell of a job with what's already on it too
Riversidesports is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2019, 15:21   #10
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riversidesports View Post
My understanding was that the carbines were manufactured post War. They were either made by Johnson Arms with a shadow line cheek piece butt if cut downs done in the 60s by various distributors to enhance salability on the US market.

Back in the 70s a fair number were "restored"
At the time Numrich Arms still had new old stock Johnson barrels and furniture sets. We swapped one out maybe around 75'

Have a loose sporter butt YH could fix up, be pretty reasonable but he could likely do a hell of a job with what's already on it too
After reading up on them a little, I appears that I may have been wrong about the carbine. The USMC Johnson had a barrel length of 22" and the one I looked at had a barrel about that long. The other Johnson at the shop appeared to have a much longer barrel (26"???). I will verify both barrel lengths when I check out the one I am interested in. Price on the other one with the perceived longer barrel is between $7K and 8K. The price on the one I am interested in is less than half that much. Still spendy and will cause a lot of thinking about whether I drop the hammer.

Old May 14, 2019, 17:51   #11
John Crusher
Veteran Member
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 18663
Heck, 2 JSARs sold for $5100 and $6300 a couple of weeks ago on RIA. The $7-8K is stupid high. I've had 5 so know a little bit about them.
Old May 15, 2019, 20:42   #12
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

I looked closely at both of the rifles today. The short barreled rifle is definitely a carbine with a barrel length of ~18". No bayo lug but has USGI front sights pinned onto the barrel. Civilian conversion, who knows. Good job though, crown looks just like military crown. Bore is nice with no pitting seen. Stock has large split running down the left side to where the receiver meets the stock wrist with some of the edge wood broken off. Repairable I think, but not sure how strong the repair would be or how strong the surrounding wood is. Stock finish sux and looks to be a varnish or shellac of some kind - heavy coat with semi-shiny places. Metal finish is dark patina that looks like worn blueing. Function testing looks to be okay but did not test fire. Serial number 45xx. As posted price is $3500 for this one. In the condition it is in and NOT in USGI condition is not what I am willing to pay for. Repairs and restoration could easily run around $2000 on top of the original cost.

The rifle has a standard length USGI barrel with attached bayo lug. Serial number 44XX. Stock is okay with no splits or cracks. Another heavy coating of finish that may be varnish or shellac. Barrel has nice, shiny bore with strong rifleing. Function check okay but again, no test fire. Metal finish is dark patina and internals are greasy and dirty. Had the manager look up the price and found it wasn't $7K but $4500. Better price but more than I am willing to pay. No wiggle room on the price so can't dicker. Manager said he thought that the rifle may be already spoken for since a frequent customer has said he wants one bad. A good clean up of the metal and maybe refinishing the wood would make this a very nice looking rifle.

No pics because these were upstairs in the graveyard which is dark and crowded with other guns/parts/pieces. Both rifles came from different parties. The carbine was one of two brought in, but seller wanted way too much for the other rifle and so left with it after no deal.

Last edited by tac-40; May 16, 2019 at 10:50.
Old May 15, 2019, 21:16   #13
John Crusher
Veteran Member
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 18663
The unmessed with one does have a fair price. That is a pre-prefix one that puts it prior to the Dutch Contract. That's just the thing about wanting unique models, they aren't now and won't in the future get cheaper !
Old May 15, 2019, 21:38   #14
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

Keep looking, one you like at the right price will show up one day.

Maybe.

Old May 15, 2019, 21:57   #15
Abominog
Registered

FALaholic #: 372
I’m a sucker for major restorations. It often takes years to find all the parts at reasonable prices...thus I have a number of 90% complete restorations. Last year though the stars shone on me and I finished three on the same day.

This summers project is a pair of colt browning 1928 belt fed semis and a matching numbers m53. And maybe an SVQ SM and BNZ 43. Not likely though.

Found a gorgeous $60 stock for my $495 ‘45 Garand so that just needs some minor fitting and perfecting. Not bad timing, under six months on this project.

That said I’d jump on the $4500 Johnson. Prices only go up.