Go Back   The FAL Files > Discussion Forums > Survival & Preparedness

Notices

Old April 21, 2019, 09:51   #1
Tuhlmann
THAT guy
Contributor

FALaholic #: 69411
Class suggestions

What training classes have you attended that youíd recommend? Looking for preferably first-hand experiences.

Classes like bushcraft, field survival, tracking, or tactical classes like combat rifle, clandestine pistol, or other force-on-force style training courses. Maybe wilderness first responder or wild edibles, too. Looking for actual physical experience courses available to attend this year or next, not books or stuff you did back in the 1970ís.

ďIím saying: Think about your contribution to society. Be careful when you get into a business that extracts value. Broaden your idea about whatís enough. And for Godís sake, think about who you are.Ē - J. Bogle
Tuhlmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21, 2019, 10:11   #2
Bawana jim
Registered

FALaholic #: 17482
What have you allready taken so we don't suggest the same thing?
Bawana jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21, 2019, 14:06   #3
7.92 Dreamin
Registered

FALaholic #: 82122
What is your past experience?
I would recommend some basic handgun courses. Pistol shooting really is a skill that requires development and practice. If you haven't been taught basic marksmanship I would start from the very bottom and get good at the fundamentals. Would shop for a reputable instructor or company, though. There's a lot of goofy BS out there.

Personally I wouldn't bother with rifle unless you have no relevant training and would like some basic instruction. It's just not as skill based and I don't feel like the $$ was worth what I got out of the 18 hour class I took.

Don't forget physical training and health is important too! I've seen too many people at my classes who could barely walk a mile, yet are kitted out with every bell and whistle you could imagine. Spending even a tenth of the coin they spent on that to buy and use a gym membership would be infinitely more useful.
7.92 Dreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21, 2019, 14:22   #4
Bawana jim
Registered

It being Tuhlmann in the survival pages about the best you could recommend is charm school to survive. No I have never been there myself but have met some charming personalities.
Old April 21, 2019, 16:37   #5
Tuhlmann
THAT guy
Contributor

I’ve already had training in and/or taken classes in all of the categories I listed above, with the exception of wild edibles/medicinal plants. I train, I run, I am at a level of fitness that is readily able to compete, and I do while always striving to improve my utility. Not that any of that pertains to my original question, since I asked for first-hand accounts of courses offered in the subjects I listed. I don’t require basic marksmanship, and this ain’t my first rodeo. I am totally fine with taking a course in a subject I already have experience in as a different curriculum will offer a different perspective and I can learn from that. Sooooo....

If you’ve taken a course that you extracted value from I’d like to hear about it. If you don’t have a course or instructor that impressed you, then please refrain from offering suplerfluous and unsolicited advice. I’m talking right at you, Jim.

ďIím saying: Think about your contribution to society. Be careful when you get into a business that extracts value. Broaden your idea about whatís enough. And for Godís sake, think about who you are.Ē - J. Bogle
Old April 21, 2019, 16:42   #6
Bawana jim
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuhlmann View Post
Iíve already had training in and/or taken classes in all of the categories I listed above, with the exception of wild edibles/medicinal plants. I train, I run, I am at a level of fitness that is readily able to compete, and I do while always striving to improve my utility. Not that any of that pertains to my original question, since I asked for first-hand accounts of courses offered in the subjects I listed. I donít require basic marksmanship, and this ainít my first rodeo. I am totally fine with taking a course in a subject I already have experience in as a different curriculum will offer a different perspective and I can learn from that. Sooooo....

If youíve taken a course that you extracted value from Iíd like to hear about it. If you donít have a course or instructor that impressed you, then please refrain from offering suplerfluous and unsolicited advice. Iím talking right at you, Jim.
You ask for advice, why would I give you any, is it because you are wonderful to your fellow man? Hell I shake the dust off my feet and walk away while wishing you a happy easter.
Old April 21, 2019, 17:27   #7
slavicshooter
Registered

FALaholic #: 74022
Tuhlmann, see if your state conservation or Dept. of natural resources has a class on wild edibles/medicinals. Also, the may have someone on staff that would take the time to show you identification techniques in the field. Spring is a good time to learn. There's piles of useful wild greens if you know how to identify them.~ss
slavicshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22, 2019, 13:18   #8
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
Wilderness First Responder will make you nearly a full on wilderness doctor from good instructor.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22, 2019, 17:17   #9
Tuhlmann
THAT guy
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyville View Post
Wilderness First Responder will make you nearly a full on wilderness doctor from good instructor.
That’s a skill set I’d really like to add on to. Any suggestions, Huey?

Old April 22, 2019, 21:48   #10
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
There were only two companies offering Wilderness First Responder courses in Northeast Georgia when took mine. Asked around and chose the one that several Paramedics, a couple of EMT's, one emergency room doctor and one of the local lifeflight crews which all said one seemed to have better trained operators than the other did. They also had the higher failure rate than the other which made me think they were not passing people just because their checks cleared the bank.

Now NOLS offers courses at REI stores around the country which makes it easier. I still had my EMT ticket when did WFT so was able to take a hybrid course Wilderness Emergency Medical Technician. Basically EMT plus Wilderness First Resonder. While we owned the house in Ouray Colorado I took the AMGA Avalanche Course then when finished worked a season and half as volunteer to get experience working off helicopters and if had an issue on one of my trips as team leader to South America, Europe, etc it would not be my first rodeo.

Also got my NCRI Level 1 with SPAR (Small Party Assisted Rescue) added on as most situations were going to be a member of a small party when something went bad on a recreational caving trip. Back in the day climbers that went big didn't hire big guide outfits, they took years to learn the craft and then went on trips with like minded people met while learning the craft. Now people write a check to a guide service and if have the cash cn the showers up to Camp 3 on Everest and have a Sherpa pull them like a load of gear to the summit.

Had twelve permits and half my clients for first trip to Everett as guide to small group of climbers with enough money to cover their costs when broke my back bad enough that trip was done and they discovered how bad my sleep apnea was. I never slept above 18,000 feet as quit beathing and scared cap out of tent mate. Leaned to lay and meditate without sleeping for up to two weeks so didn't shut down in my sleep. Docs (who are mountaineers) say I could probably pull off a few Himalayan ascents but eventually would go to sleep at high camp and shut down unless slept on oxygen from Camp 3 to the top.

I had come up in the 1970's so map reading, use of compass, altimeter, field craft and technique was required. Now you write a check and if crap hits the fan press button on rescue radio and they end help at a price. I did tell my first group to all buy rescue insurance on top of permits and team price which included Sherpas, oxygen, food and use of fixed ropes through the Khumbu ice fall.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is offline   Reply With Quote