Old August 09, 2018, 18:37   #1
raubvogel
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64403
Sad picture: un-Rhodesian a FAL

Found this thread: http://www.cruffler.com/trivia-April01-refinishing.html

Quote:
The first gun we built, the South African R1 on an Imbel receiver was in desperate need of refinishing. This was a gun that only its builders could love. So unattractive was it, we christened it the ‹gly (pronounced "yoogely") Gun, or ‹G. Apparently the South African military's method of refinishing a FAL was to slather exterior household paint in attractive shades of green and brown on the gun in an attempt to camouflage it.

Long story short, you might not want to see it if you like Rhodesians.
raubvogel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 09, 2018, 19:38   #2
SPEEDGUNNER
Firearms Connoisseur
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 43933
Ruined! Ruined I say!! Blasphemy!!
And they roam the world at will."
- Robert Service
SPEEDGUNNER is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 10, 2018, 07:32   #3
IRONWORKER
Registered

FALaholic #: 48581
Hate to admit it but i refinished several nice Rhodies back n the day....

1 of my best matching # R1s was covered in poop paint, i blasted, parked & painted it.
Old August 10, 2018, 07:38   #4
mitchellh
Registered

FALaholic #: 16852
That was probably done back in the day of $99.00 kits.
Old August 10, 2018, 08:09   #5
medicmike
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 3183
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchellh View Post
That was probably done back in the day of $99.00 kits.
Yep, I stripped and reparked a number of those back int he day, along with a few of the $25 complete baby-pooped lowers that were on the market back then.

ďThe great Gaels of Ireland are the men that God made mad,
For all their wars are merry, and all their songs are sad.Ē
― G.K. Chesterton, The Ballad of the White Horse
medicmike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 10, 2018, 11:33   #6
lew
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 16727
Not getting worked up about it. Aside from the ugly ass Type 3 receiver, it looks like it could have still been in Rhodesian Service.

"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence." -Christopher Hitchens
lew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 10, 2018, 19:48   #7
hkshooter
Mighty Fine!
Contributor

FALaholic #: 5391
I'll be that guy.

Rhodie paint looks like hell and I'd never, ever intentionally house paint a rifle to look like literal shit. Boggles my mind why people do this but for the one and only noble cause of restoring a historical piece.

A non-rhodie rifle that's painted with shit to look like one? I'd rather do a fat chic on her cycle who hasn't bathed for a week.

There. I said it.

I'll strip poop paint as quick as I'll clean off cosmo. Faster if I can find some solvent and a brush.
Old August 10, 2018, 20:05   #8
enbloc8
Registered

FALaholic #: 51665
Well, when you're drawing fire from the zots because they're seeing your pretty black rifle before they're seeing the rest of you....

(And I say that as one who has a de-pooped Rhodie. Virtually no finish left at all on the kit when I got it, and it still had U-M markings, so I had it built as a 1968 fresh-from-South-Africa rifle.)
enbloc8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10, 2018, 20:07   #9
hkshooter
Mighty Fine!
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by enbloc8 View Post
Well, when you're drawing fire from the zots because they're seeing your pretty black rifle before they're seeing the rest of you....

(And I say that as one who has a de-pooped Rhodie. Virtually no finish left at all on the kit when I got it, and it still had U-M markings, so I had it built as a 1968 fresh-from-South-Africa rifle.)
Not knocking what the war fighters did or how they did it.
Old August 10, 2018, 21:01   #10
Arby
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 653
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkshooter View Post
I'll be that guy.

Rhodie paint looks like hell and I'd never, ever intentionally house paint a rifle to look like literal shit. Boggles my mind why people do this but for the one and only noble cause of restoring a historical piece.
I'm with you on that.

Quote:

A non-rhodie rifle that's painted with shit to look like one? I'd rather do a fat chic on her cycle who hasn't bathed for a week.
With all due respect, sir, this is where you and I part company.
Arby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11, 2018, 08:11   #11
hkshooter
Mighty Fine!
Contributor

^
Old August 11, 2018, 11:19   #12
harleyrider
Conveniently Located
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 55746
Quote:

There. I said it.
Make that Rosie OíDonnell 😱🤢🤮

Now thatís a proper threat 😜

HR
Old August 11, 2018, 11:23   #13
ScubaSteveXdm
Registered

FALaholic #: 77775
Guy in a FB group stripped his Rhody paint off and it was some of the nicest I seen in a long time. He said it was a bubba paint job and very ugly.

Oh it hurt so bad to see
ScubaSteveXdm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 11, 2018, 11:45   #14
hkshooter
Mighty Fine!
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaSteveXdm View Post
Guy in a FB group stripped his Rhody paint off and it was some of the nicest I seen in a long time. He said it was a bubba paint job and very ugly.

Oh it hurt so bad to see
Lets not forget that people are doing their best to duplicate the colors and application of the paint as closely as they possibly can, and then they are artificially aging that finish to mimic the real deal as closely as they can. Who's to say that big money kit isn't someone's clone from a decade ago? One that's been laying neglected in the garage where it can gain it's own patina and age?
People are even faking electro pencil numbers.
I've never understood the attraction to the poop rifles. Seeing as how a few kits sold for stupid money, well, we all know what happens when something suddenly gets really expensive to obtain. The FB guy may have been stripping Bubba paint, not original. God knows we've all seen some ugly ass poop paint applied by folks recently.
Old August 11, 2018, 12:49   #15
embatp
What? Me AR?
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 39856
Iím ok with poop...the problem is guys doing the aging to mimic the beat up look....the troopies would have taken pride in their equipment and touched up the paint....look at pics from the war and they donít look beat up....it was the Mugabe troops that didnít take care of them....
Old August 11, 2018, 20:07   #16
EinheitElf
Registered

FALaholic #: 21533
'A non-rhodie rifle that's painted with shit to look like one? I'd rather do a fat chic on her cycle who hasn't bathed for a week.*'

I just had a visual of that and i just shuddered vurped and no need bleach for mental eyes
EinheitElf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 12, 2018, 12:03   #17
nvcdl
Registered

FALaholic #: 1312
Adam Firestone (Cruffler.com) showed me a Rhodie parts Kit when I was getting a receiver transferred through him back around 2000 or so. I wonder if this rifle was built using that kit.

Barrel was very pitted and rough looking. Think the rhodie kits were going for about $99 or so. At same time you could still get a STG kit for about $220. Also had some Imbel kits starting to come in for around the same price.

I couldn't see the point in buying kits with sewer pipe barrels at even half the price of the other kits.

I'm kinda suprised that cruffler.com site is still online as Adam seems to stop posting to it around 2003.
nvcdl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 12, 2018, 12:29   #18
MistWolf
Registered

FALaholic #: 7435
Quote:
Originally Posted by embatp View Post
Iím ok with poop...the problem is guys doing the aging to mimic the beat up look....the troopies would have taken pride in their equipment and touched up the paint....look at pics from the war and they donít look beat up....it was the Mugabe troops that didnít take care of them....
THIS

I would rather see someone strip the baby poop from and refinish their Rhodie than artificially age it for that "battlefield pickup" look. Either restore the baby poop camo to its former glory to honor the soldier who fought with the Rhodie in defense Rhodesia, or strip it completely. Don't leave the rifle in (or worse, recreate) the condition of neglect Mugabe's mutts left them in.
Old August 13, 2018, 05:42   #19
Registered

FALaholic #: 2853
Please note that the publish date of that post was April 1, 2001.

I assure you, the Cruffler boys knew better.
Old August 13, 2018, 06:02   #20
mitchellh
Registered

FALaholic #: 16852
Never been a Fan of the Baby Poop, I like them nice and clean.

Old August 13, 2018, 07:24   #21
pistolero1911
Registered

FALaholic #: 75616
For the first decade of the Rhodesian bush war [following the Unilateral Declaration of Independence on 11/11/1965], poop paint was not a part of the equation. It was added much later, circa 1976, when comments from captured terrorists pointed to the long black rifle being seen before the camo clad troopie while in the bush. Therefore most FALs served the majority of their time in Rhodesian service "in the black", only being pooped up for the last four or five years of the bush war.

Once Mugabe came to power, he changed the colors used from Rhodie baby poop to a olive and tan, "Mugabe mud". Most of the ZA marked rifles, or at least the Imbel imports, obtained by Mugabe's regime, had the mud paint job, and not the Rhodie poop of the former regime. Some of the earlier ZA marked rifles, 19XXX range, seem to have been in service to the police or other non-military units, as these are not Imbel imports [being mostly South African, with the occasional Belgian] and are still in the black. I surmise that only after Mugabe came to power were these particular rifles added to the Army's inventory.

RA marked rifles, may be found in the black, pooped up or in mud over poop.

So who's to say what any particular gun looked like over its service life?
Old August 13, 2018, 07:58   #22
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 96
Thus Rhody thing is a new craze. These IMBEL kits from South Africa were competing with Turkish G1 kits for which were the lowest quality, bottom of the barrel CRAP.

Remember, the competition was cheap StG kits. Maybe not as pristine as the first run, but pretty nice.

I've pulled buttplugs off and had water pour out. Barbed ware sling mounts. Just shit, from people with very poor training and weapons maintenance.

There was no special interest in buying beat to shit, rusted IMBEL kits just 'cause some imperialist tool had slapped some paint on it.

The scarcity and now the new perceived value of these low quality, beat-to-shit RA kits, is due in large part to people like me refinishing hundreds of them.