The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > General Firearms Discussion

Notices

Old July 26, 2018, 19:06   #51
davedude
Registered

FALaholic #: 20538
The Finn Mosin gets tiring pretty quick even though it's a big brick of a rifle. Funny because my VEPR in the same caliber is very comfortable.
Old July 26, 2018, 19:24   #52
TenTea
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 72247
Quote:
Originally Posted by partisan50 View Post
My 82A1 is in the background.
Wow, thanks!

Awesome is an over used adjective these days but that Lahti is the schizzz....

Wooo doggies!
Wife's favorite color: glitter
TenTea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 26, 2018, 19:33   #53
Tailback
Registered

FALaholic #: 26070
M1903A3 30.06 of course. Light weight combined with a stamped metal buttplate make it a little uncomfortable to shoot much. The first time I shot my Model 1917 the perceived kick was so low that I pulled the bolt out and looked down the bore. I thought it was a squib round.
Old July 26, 2018, 21:46   #54
hardheaded
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 27964
My 30x378 will punish you , I have a Mosin that kinda chips away at your shoulder
My new (to me)1873 trapdoor should be in the honorable mention category somewhere but I haven't shot it yet

My friends 54 cal smokestick gave me a harpooning once when I didn't have that pointy butt shouldered correctly
hardheaded is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 26, 2018, 23:26   #55
CTW
Registered

FALaholic #: 41894
Dads old Browning A-5 3Ē magnum with 32Ē full choke barrel. That recoil operation kicks hard.
Old July 27, 2018, 00:28   #56
STG_58_guy
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 65886
Marlin 336 in 35 Remington. I even put a padded stock on it. My 870 with an 18 inch barrel shooting 3 inch slugs is probably worse but I haven't tried that stupid trick in 20 years. Not a fan of recoil.

Friend has a 10 ga single shot that nobody wants to shoot a third time. A second shot maybe, just to make sure the first shot was really that bad.

Another has a Savage in 338 Lapua but with the break and heavy barrel, it is not that bad. I wouldn't shoot it without the break.
STG_58_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27, 2018, 00:33   #57
STG_58_guy
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphadog58 View Post
My Remmy 7600 in .35 Whelen. Bearable offhand, awful on the bench. Puts whitetails on the ground DRT.
Larry
A friend has this in 35 Remington and that rifle punches me in the face every shot. I hate that rifle.
Old July 27, 2018, 08:22   #58
Jolly Rodgers
Registered

FALaholic #: 15882
Winchester model 70 Featherweight in .30-06.
Jolly Rodgers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 27, 2018, 08:33   #59
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
Remington 660 Mohawk in 350 Rem Mag. Former LGS owner special ordered a 458 Win Mag for client who bought one box of ammo with rifle. Customer traded it in less than month later with two rounds fired and he resold it early quickly. Second buyer traded it back in two weeks later with one round and this continued till he had sold four times so decided with six rounds fired.

Owner said had almost cleared it by then and took home to add to his collection. Fired it once, brother fired it once then back on shop rack it went. He sold that thing two more times with it returned and since I helped out so much would let me have it for $200. Took it home, fired one round then got my skinny @$$ younger brother to bust off a round and took back to LGS didn't want at any price.

Was not smart enough to keep and rebarreling as was before I started commissioning custom and semi custom builds. Could have used the action and stock to build a big 338 or 357 caliber rifle but all I wanted was to never shoot a Remington 700 in 458 Rem Mag again. The design on the stock along with weight and suppressor on my 338 Lapua only issue is the broken C2 and C3 vertebrae in neck if shoot more than ten rounds. The 660 Mohawk lightweight with 18.5" barrel in 350 Mag with any bullets over 200 grains thump the ever living fool out of me. Way worse than my 700 in 350 Rem Mag with long barrel and better designed stock.

Have a 50 BMG that snaps on an AR 15 lower stuck in back of vault that's never had a scope mounted or lower fitted. Bought it as a hedge in case Obama banned 50 calibers for civilian sales. Been looking at recoil charts for different cartridges due to my spinal issues as my 7mm Practical is also on the edge of comfort for more than a few rounds same as 338 Lapua. There is a real high chance am going to have a Cheytac built, sell the 50 while still unfired and try to keep myself in a big long range rifle through my golden years.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 27, 2018, 14:02   #60
stimpsonjcat
I wasn't talking to you
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by lockjaw View Post
My.Enfield jungle carbine is not a fun gun to shoot. It looks cool though. I'd hate you get into a fire fight with it. Poor bastsrds......
Same.

Though slugs in the shotty are probably worse.

The 8mm bolt gun I hunt hogs with is pretty nasty also.

"The game is worth the candle...always been."

"Itís hard to light a candle, easy to curse the dark instead."
stimpsonjcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 27, 2018, 14:18   #61
12v71
Perched in the MP
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 71127
Mine is the 1895 Marlin Cowboy with 405 gr Federal loads. The next is the 91/30 Mosin (narrow buttplate) the third is not a rifle, but a Norinco copy of the 1887 Winchester shotgun, the stock geometry sucks.

"Freedom is not a crime"

I'm a heavy equipment mechanic because brain surgery was far too easy.
12v71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 27, 2018, 14:56   #62
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 4653
I've found my Jungle Carbine to have a pretty hard recoil too. But it's hard to really be objective when calling one or another rifle the worst in that regard. My FR8 has a stout kick, as does either of my short-barreled Mosins (M38 and 91/59), but after I've shot one a few rounds, my shoulder is already a bit sore so who's to say if the next one is harder. I guess shooting all the candidates on consecutive days might work, but man, you would be bruised up good (bad?) by then.

I suspect that the most brutal might be one I haven't shot yet. My Husqvarna 1640 Mauser in .30-06 has to have some strong recoil, as it's much lighter than comparable military Mausers.

My daddy was a cowboy in his younger days, wild as the west Texas wind. He once told me, "Son, death is a horse you got to ride. So you better get your saddle ready."

heavily armed, easily pissed.
Texgunner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 27, 2018, 15:22   #63
Bawana jim
Registered

FALaholic #: 17482
Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyville View Post
Remington 660 Mohawk in 350 Rem Mag. Former LGS owner special ordered a 458 Win Mag for client who bought one box of ammo with rifle. Customer traded it in less than month later with two rounds fired and he resold it early quickly. Second buyer traded it back in two weeks later with one round and this continued till he had sold four times so decided with six rounds fired.

Owner said had almost cleared it by then and took home to add to his collection. Fired it once, brother fired it once then back on shop rack it went. He sold that thing two more times with it returned and since I helped out so much would let me have it for $200. Took it home, fired one round then got my skinny @$$ younger brother to bust off a round and took back to LGS didn't want at any price.

Was not smart enough to keep and rebarreling as was before I started commissioning custom and semi custom builds. Could have used the action and stock to build a big 338 or 357 caliber rifle but all I wanted was to never shoot a Remington 700 in 458 Rem Mag again. The design on the stock along with weight and suppressor on my 338 Lapua only issue is the broken C2 and C3 vertebrae in neck if shoot more than ten rounds. The 660 Mohawk lightweight with 18.5" barrel in 350 Mag with any bullets over 200 grains thump the ever living fool out of me. Way worse than my 700 in 350 Rem Mag with long barrel and better designed stock.

Have a 50 BMG that snaps on an AR 15 lower stuck in back of vault that's never had a scope mounted or lower fitted. Bought it as a hedge in case Obama banned 50 calibers for civilian sales. Been looking at recoil charts for different cartridges due to my spinal issues as my 7mm Practical is also on the edge of comfort for more than a few rounds same as 338 Lapua. There is a real high chance am going to have a Cheytac built, sell the 50 while still unfired and try to keep myself in a big long range rifle through my golden years.
As a young man we used to hunt bear with dogs to tree them. Over the years and many hunts I got to see the effects of many calibers on bears. 44 mag would bust the skull and you still had something to salvage if you wanted the hide. One fellow used a Remington 600 in a 350 rem mag and that gun would make half the head dissapear. Nice light gun for packing down into the canyons and with all the brush and tangle foot it was handy to have it so short.

I have one in 308 winchester that was great for western Oregon hunts but don't hunt as much since I got old.
Old July 27, 2018, 15:39   #64
DJ
Registered

FALaholic #: 126
I don't have any big bore rifles, but my Remington 721 in .30-06 is brutal. I never thought a .30-06 would kick so hard.
Old July 27, 2018, 23:15   #65
Brother Wayne
Registered

FALaholic #: 77216
I have an 1866 Allen conversion Trapdoor carbine in 50-70 Gov. I loaded regular 50-70 black powder loads to shoot in my old girl. I forgot that I had read many times that the carbine was so abusive with that load that the Army loaded special 50-50 rounds just for the carbine because of that issue. My memory and my teeth were jarred after firing the first shot. It kicked me pretty damn hard. I pulled those rounds and started over.

I also owned a Marlin 1895 that I bought in about 1983. I was just getting interested in loading black powder cartridges and my new Marlin was to be my first 45-70. I shot modern 45-70 (safe for Trapdoors) in it first to obtain brass to reload. Well these were sweethearts to shoot. Then I made my BP loads which were the wrong application for that weapon. My brother says Hey let me load you some jacketed bullets with smokeless powder and that rifle will shoot a lot better. Well my brother the saddest made me up some anti-tank rounds to try and that was just plain painful to shoot. I sold the 1895 to brother and bought a 1874 Shiloh Sharps in 45-120 and it not so harsh to set off.

I've just read where some of you are kicked around by your 1944 Mosin carbines. With surplus ammo that muzzle flashes evening into high noon. I can shoot 200 rounds and I am still happy and not sore. It has to be that the weapon just fits me better.
Brother Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27, 2018, 23:48   #66
Tuscan Raider
Registered

FALaholic #: 19668
Garand.

Ghandi

"We, here in America, hold in our hands the hopes of the world, the fate of the coming years; and shame and disgrace will be ours if in our eyes the light of high resolve is dimmed, if we trail in the dust the golden hopes of men."

Theodore Roosevelt
Address at Carnegie Hall
March 30, 1912
Tuscan Raider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 28, 2018, 00:12   #67
12v71
Perched in the MP
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Wayne View Post
I have an 1866 Allen conversion Trapdoor carbine in 50-70 Gov. I loaded regular 50-70 black powder loads to shoot in my old girl. I forgot that I had read many times that the carbine was so abusive with that load that the Army loaded special 50-50 rounds just for the carbine because of that issue. My memory and my teeth were jarred after firing the first shot. It kicked me pretty damn hard. I pulled those rounds and started over.

I also owned a Marlin 1895 that I bought in about 1983. I was just getting interested in loading black powder cartridges and my new Marlin was to be my first 45-70. I shot modern 45-70 (safe for Trapdoors) in it first to obtain brass to reload. Well these were sweethearts to shoot. Then I made my BP loads which were the wrong application for that weapon. My brother says Hey let me load you some jacketed bullets with smokeless powder and that rifle will shoot a lot better. Well my brother the saddest made me up some anti-tank rounds to try and that was just plain painful to shoot. I sold the 1895 to brother and bought a 1874 Shiloh Sharps in 45-120 and it not so harsh to set off.

I've just read where some of you are kicked around by your 1944 Mosin carbines. With surplus ammo that muzzle flashes evening into high noon. I can shoot 200 rounds and I am still happy and not sore. It has to be that the weapon just fits me better.
Well. some of us think you to be a little strange at times.

"Freedom is not a crime"

Old July 28, 2018, 00:13   #68
12v71
Perched in the MP
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuscan Raider View Post
Garand.
Really? I love mine... Well CV's garands.

"Freedom is not a crime"

Old July 28, 2018, 00:45   #69
STG_58_guy
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyville View Post

Never heard of the 660 or 350 RM till your post. TY. That said, twice the energy of a 35 Rem in a 5 pound carbine sounds terribly unpleasant. Open sights for sure because there is no way I'd sight in that SOB twice. My 336 is 7 pounds and gets 3 rounds off hand per year right before deer season because it's not fun to shoot.
Old July 31, 2018, 16:29   #70
tobinb
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 21731
Been reading through some of these and wincing and laughing at the same time. The largest I have ever shot in rifle was a 338LM ... had a big-assed muzzle brake on it so it was fine for me, but not the spectators' ears!

The most painful for me to shoot was the first outing of my Mossberg 500 18.5". At the time it had one of those silly overfolder stocks that are way too wide. I just couldn't get a good tuck in the shoulder or cheek weld. Plus it drew blood! The funny thing was, it was plain competition #7 IIRC. The first opportunity the regular butt stock went back on and I progressed to 36 #4 - a much stouter load, what I would call decisive!

And then there was the 500S&W Mag revolver ... that is just plain brutal.

Each to their own, I suppose. Always fun to be had!
Old July 31, 2018, 17:13   #71
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 4653
I just got back from my ranch in the country where I exercised my '40 Borsigwalde K98 and a Yugo M48. I shot 60 rounds, 30 through each, of Romanian LB, all sitting at a bench. My shoulder feels fine, no redness at all (yet?). It had been a few years since either was shot and I was pleasantly surprised at the recoil. Just a good little outing!

My daddy was a cowboy in his younger days, wild as the west Texas wind. He once told me, "Son, death is a horse you got to ride. So you better get your saddle ready."

heavily armed, easily pissed.
Texgunner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 31, 2018, 20:29   #72
Riversidesports
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 36091
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texgunner View Post
I just got back from my ranch in the country where I exercised my '40 Borsigwalde K98 and a Yugo M48. I shot 60 rounds, 30 through each, of Romanian LB, all sitting at a bench. My shoulder feels fine, no redness at all (yet?). It had been a few years since either was shot and I was pleasantly surprised at the recoil. Just a good little outing!
Yep' I don't get most recoil complaints either
Dad bought me a surplus VZ24 8mm for my birthday at maybe 12. Kick was fine, I just didn't like the weight of it at that age.

The ones that make me roll my eyes are muzzle brakes on ARs or other .22 Centerfires. Used to run a .220 Swift, damn I hyper loaded that one up. No recoil pushing 4000 FPS...turned varmits inside out at that speed.

Other kinda brutal guns:
Marlin 10 gauge magnum bolt action Goose guns with the original plastic plate. Hard shove until you brought one up on an overhead flying flock of honkers. That was another potential bone breaker. Classmates sister fractured her collarbone honker hunting years ago with one.

As mentioned, the Remington 600 series .350 Magnums were really stiff. Used to be a fairly popular deer gun here until the ammo became scarce. Still a bunch in closets. Lot of meat damage though and don't ever gut shoot Bambi with one, most of the meat will be ruined

Dad always bitched about how Garands kicked, never bothered me
he just don't like Garands. It's really mostly weight and no balance for him
when he was in the Army he was a competition shooter.

Other nasty brutes are the post WWI Mauser sporters
Germans had to shrink their army so the 98's were sold off to gun builders who built just wonderful euro sporters on the actions
Tapered 24 to 26" bbls, double sets, generally a 7 pound rifle with a steel butt plate that punished you

now on kick...

when I was real young mom made dad store his guns in my bedroom closet
so about at 5 years old I get caught playing with them
Dad being the ass he is and certainly was decides to take me out shooting for the first time....tells me, these things have plenty of kick son
I'm a 5 year old, so I reason hold the gun away from my shoulder a bit. That .303 rolled me right on my back, gave me a blood blister
that plan failed, I became determined to master these Man things.

Another one
Good buddy gets married to a sweet country gal
puts a pistol gripped riot gun in her paws, little gal when it went off it swung up and scarred her for life square between the eyes
Mark thought it funny as shit, she still won't shoot shotguns but loves pistols

btw
Dad's idea of teaching me how to ride a bike:

Buy bike, take son out in the country a couple miles south of town on a freshly worked gravel road, put me on the bike, get me going and then he left me. While I learned how to ride a bike it was not the best way to do so
but that was how grandpa raised boys on the farm out in the Dakotas
Riversidesports is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 31, 2018, 22:29   #73
V guy
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 10282
I'm pretty insensitive to recoil.

My 375 H&H shot offhand, feels like an '06.
ON the bench, it IS hard.

My CZ 458 Lott will get your attention; you have to almost shout in anger (in a "red mist" moment) as you grab it hard and pull the trigger. "That wasn't so bad"...............yeah it was.
V guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 31, 2018, 23:35   #74
ftierson
Registered

FALaholic #: 13827
Hardest kicking is somewhat difficult to determine, but the one I find least fun to shoot is the Yugoslavian M70AB1 that I built for myself. It doesn't have much to do with the total recoil force but that I have to place my cheek bone directly on the high 'comb' of the military stock to see the sights, resulting in my face being beat up by it all (I just took it out and shot it again today, reminding me of all this)...

Forrest
ftierson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 01, 2018, 04:10   #75
sniperdoc
Registered

FALaholic #: 80483
A Ruger #3 .45-70 with "heavy" loads (near .458 WinMag specs) will rattle the fillings in your teeth; recoil is not as brutal as the .50 I mentioned in an earlier post, but I don't ever want to try it again.
sniperdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 01, 2018, 09:20   #76
jhend170
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 76477
Quote:
Originally Posted by STG_58_guy View Post
Marlin 336 in 35 Remington. I even put a padded stock on it. My 870 with an 18 inch barrel shooting 3 inch slugs is probably worse but I haven't tried that stupid trick in 20 years. Not a fan of recoil.

Friend has a 10 ga single shot that nobody wants to shoot a third time. A second shot maybe, just to make sure the first shot was really that bad.

Another has a Savage in 338 Lapua but with the break and heavy barrel, it is not that bad. I wouldn't shoot it without the break.
I'll second that 35 Rem in the Marlin. Light gun with a big thump and no pad is uncomfortable for sure. Buddy has one I've shot a few times. It's not horrible, but it's not what you want a newbie to shoot for the first time either. He bought a Browning A-bolt in 30-06 for "less recoil." That should tell you something.
jhend170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 01, 2018, 19:31   #77
STG_58_guy
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobinb View Post
Been reading through some of these and wincing and laughing at the same time. The largest I have ever shot in rifle was a 338LM ... had a big-assed muzzle brake on it so it was fine for me, but not the spectators' ears!

The most painful for me to shoot was the first outing of my Mossberg 500 18.5". At the time it had one of those silly overfolder stocks that are way too wide. I just couldn't get a good tuck in the shoulder or cheek weld. Plus it drew blood! The funny thing was, it was plain competition #7 IIRC. The first opportunity the regular butt stock went back on and I progressed to 36 #4 - a much stouter load, what I would call decisive!

And then there was the 500S&W Mag revolver ... that is just plain brutal.

Each to their own, I suppose. Always fun to be had!
500 S&W...I have a friend, actually one of my longest and best friends, well he reloads for fun and he has one of everything. There is something seriously wrong with this fellow. He doesn't even shoot much but he reloads for everyone in camp and makes us shoot all his toys. Including his 500. So I agree. But worse is S&W 460. He always starts us off on the .45 long colt (?), then the .454 Casull (sp?) Then the .460 S&W Mag, then the hot 460 S&W mag. The 500 is rediculous, but that 460 is for folks who don't want cartilage in their wrists and elbows. This has to be one of the most useless guns on the planet.

But I still shoot it once a year. I guess there is something seriously wrong with me too.

There is one I won't shoot. It's a Browning .25 ACP. Can't hold on to the little fkr.
Old August 01, 2018, 20:06   #78
shuvelrider
Registered

FALaholic #: 67921
My Humdinger Knockyoudownquicker rifle in a bigger caliber than any listed in this thread
shuvelrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 02, 2018, 17:04   #79
AZ Dave
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 7882
Remington 12 ga. 870 3 1/2" super mag!
Old August 03, 2018, 08:44   #80
FNfreak
Registered

FALaholic #: 1081
"Remington 12 ga. 870 3 1/2" super mag!"

Damn straight...worse recoil Ive ever experienced. Felt like a bare knuckle fist to the jaw from Mike Tyson..it sucked. I Love shooting BIG Guns but this was stupidly painful.

Also agree with Stimpy, a .303 jungle carbine (and some of those Mosin M44 carbines ) are just no fun to shoot either.
FNfreak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 03, 2018, 18:06   #81
Kevin
Registered

FALaholic #: 12
Old Game Keeperís Rifle

Got an old P14 rifle that was re-barreled in 404. A beast.

Kev
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 03, 2018, 18:53   #82
fullauto
Almost Retired
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 467
Hardest kicking for me is between my Browning BPS 10ga and my Sharps .50x2.5
The 10ga has 1 3/4 oz slugs or 2 1/4 oz Heavy nitro mags-take your pick.
The .50X2.5 with full case of 777 and a 550gr bullet is painful.
Old August 03, 2018, 19:37   #83
AZ Dave
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 7882
The worst I've ever been kicked was when my buddy and I snuck out his Dad's H&R single shot 10 ga. goose gun with a hard plastic butt plate. We were 14 at the time. I stuffed a 3 1/2" goose load in it and set it off. I almost dropped the gun. I sat on a stump and bawled for 5 minutes. Then I made my buddy shoot it. He bawled for 10 min. My entire shoulder turned purple black.
A week later I snuck out my Dad's 20 ga. double barreled shotgun and accidentally set off both barrels. It was loaded with 3" mags. I bawled again.
Old August 03, 2018, 19:41   #84
Retired Bum
Registered

FALaholic #: 21904
My SA 1945 made M1 Garand is the hardest recoiling rifle I presently own. Sold off the Remington 1903 which produced a tad more recoil. Slip on recoil pads do help though.

At one time I had a Marlin Model 444 and with the Remington 265 gr JSP factory loads that thing was a beast recoil wise.

Friend of mine owns a Browning Safari in .458 Win Mag. I shot three rounds of the Winchester 500 grain FMJ and called it quits. Left a bruise on my right shoulder that lasted a full month. My Mossy 590 is a handful with the three inch 00 buckshot load.

One day at my club range I got the chance to shoot a S&W 500 Magnum with the 8 3/8" barrel and muzzle brake. Ammo was MagTech 400 grain JSP. I quit after just two shots. And I used to think that my S&W Model 629 four inch Mountain Gun with 300 grain loads was nasty.....

And so it goes.

The Retired One
Retired Bum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 05, 2018, 17:04   #85
Mossy
Registered

FALaholic #: 69140
I don't have any super hard kickers. My heaviest recoil rifle is a Sako .375 H&H Mag.
Mossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 05, 2018, 17:31   #86
FALic
Registered

FALaholic #: 3119
I've limited myself to US Military calibers. I think that my .308 SAR8 (G3 clone) kicks the worst with that roller-delayed blowback mechanism, it feels like a double kick with the round going off and then that large bolt starting to move. Can't feel that with the gas guns like the FAL, M1, M1A, AR10. I think that it's because the mass of the G3 bolt is a lot more than its contemporaries and it starts moving later in the recoil than the gas guns. I went through the process of tuning the gap, no effect. Putting the machine-gun stock on it helped by increasing the size of the butt pad. It's a safe-queen. I like to play dress-up with it and accessorize.

In terms of kick. The extreme is knock you on your ass kick which I think is an indicator of poor planning- like not seating the stock properly. The normal problem with kick is that it takes the rifle off target and it takes time to re-acquire the target. I think that's the intelligent reason for putting a muzzle-brake on a 5.56 rifle - the ability to stay on target while rapidly putting rounds down range. Not that I've done it, I'm happy with whatever I get from an A2 flash suppressor, but that's what I understand the reasoning is. Of course, there's a lot of fan boys that just buy them because it's another expensive piece of bling. Personally, I hate catching the muzzle blast by being next to them and understand why they're banned for rifle matches.
Old August 05, 2018, 19:28   #87
Slow
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 17330
Steyr M95 Carbine 8x56R

Whatís the point in ever trying to be happy when the very pursuit of happiness is what makes you miserable.

I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but i can't stick my head that far up my ass

"The earth swarms with people who are not worth talking to" -Voltaire

"If you mix fat and lies, you get Bill, not soap. Throw in some stupid, and it turns to Vince." - ce

"Only the dead have seen the end of war" Plato
Slow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 08, 2018, 08:24   #88
palmettomoon
Veteran Member
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 33994
New Model of 1863 Sharps Carbine. Paper cartridges, mule kick.
palmettomoon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 08, 2018, 10:18   #89
Bawana jim
Registered

FALaholic #: 17482
Back in the early 80s we had a truly great gunsmith in Oregon that built fine rifles. His name was Cuthbert and his real fame was making chamber reamers for most of the gun companies in the USA. Talking to him about recoil of powerful rifles his answer was to "throat" the rifle so it changed the pressure curve and reduced recoil. Asked how that effects accuracy and he laughed saying that being scared of the gun hurts accuracy far more.
Old August 09, 2018, 09:10   #90
akajun
Registered

FALaholic #: 22516
35 whelen Handi Rifle. legal as a black powder here in LA. Without a doubt the worst Ive ever shot, much less owned, 4-5 shots from the bench was all I could stand. Keep in mind Ive shot African big game rifles, 338 Win mag lightweight mountain guns, old double barrel 10 gauges with magnum goose loads, etc.

I will say that threading it for a break and putting a mercury recoil suppressor in the forend tamed it down signifigantly to the point of equal to 3" magnum 12 gauge duck loads. GUn is just too light.
akajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 09, 2018, 17:27   #91
Reformed Lurker
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 12133
Not sure if this counts but it was a rifle that I use to own a marlin Lever action 44 magnum. I know that sounds crazy but whatever it was the loads I was using I donít know it just had a very sharp, hard recoil the Ergonomics on it just did not work for me which made the recoil impulse even worse . Also I could not fit my hand completely into the lever so every time I fired my little finger and the finger next to it would wind up getting battered and bruised and swollen. The long run I sold it and then I heard later that the guy I sold to it was stolen from him.
Not knocking marlin or that rifle it just didnít work for me I still scratch my head sometimes on that one
Old August 09, 2018, 18:55   #92
randy762ak
Registered

FALaholic #: 25888
Here is a List of many cartridges and the recoil - >

http://www.deerhuntingtoday.com/index.php?topic=8138.0

You'll notice there is a good reason the 12g 3.5" turkey loads feel brutal... They are..
randy762ak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 09, 2018, 21:02   #93
chino*74
Registered

FALaholic #: 75409
Mine would be my original Marlin 45/70 with hot loads. Now I wonder what it would be like to shoot one of the big doubles in the Nitro Express calibers such as the 400's on up? I bet they would put the hurt to ya...
Old August 10, 2018, 06:52   #94
d762nato
Registered

FALaholic #: 73390
Well the biggest Shiloh Sharps that came out of the Montana facility. It was a 50-140 that I got from a friend that had a smokeless recipe worked up for it. Yes that old steel butt sharps almost knocked out a tooth and bloodied my lip when the flip up tang sight hit me. It did the same to another friend of mine I let shoot it. I ended up selling it to a bear hunter in the end.
The black powder wasn't bad to shoot....but that smokeless powder was brutal.
d762nato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10, 2018, 08:32   #95
Bug Tussell
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 2872
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reformed Lurker View Post
Not sure if this counts but it was a rifle that I use to own a marlin Lever action 44 magnum. I know that sounds crazy but whatever it was the loads I was using I donít know it just had a very sharp, hard recoil the Ergonomics on it just did not work for me which made the recoil impulse even worse . Also I could not fit my hand completely into the lever so every time I fired my little finger and the finger next to it would wind up getting battered and bruised and swollen. The long run I sold it and then I heard later that the guy I sold to it was stolen from him.
Not knocking marlin or that rifle it just didnít work for me I still scratch my head sometimes on that one
I got a Henry bigboy in 44 magnum. The recoil was surprising stout at first but I have gotten used to it now. I guess I was thinking how much kick is a pistol cartridge gonna have in a fairly heavy rifle (8.7 pounds)? ..... more than I thought!
Old August 10, 2018, 16:45   #96
Artful
Registered

FALaholic #: 10191
[QUOTE=J308;4613007]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riversidesports View Post
Mauser 1918 T Gewher rebarreled in .50BMG.

This is a combination of words that might as well spell in all caps
THIS IS A REALLY BAD IDEA

And I wanna try it out. Once.

Old August 10, 2018, 16:53   #97
Andy the Aussie
Dinosaur
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 216
Of those I own, my .300Win is my least favourite to use from the bench, it is just a nasty whippy bitch. I prefer to use my .375H&H over the .300 this way. Hunting it's big fat 'meh. I have owned both since I was a teenager (14 to be exact) and never really felt beaten up by them. A mate back then had a "Golden Eagle" (or sum such thing) in 7mm RemM that was just a pig of thing in every sense of the word.
(Jiminy Christmas, did I just recommend a 'yota?!!??)
Andy the Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10, 2018, 17:04   #98
Artful
Registered

FALaholic #: 10191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow View Post
Steyr M95 Carbine 8x56R.
Yep that little straight pull is a kicker - my friend still has some NAZI ammo for his - If it was mine I'd be working up some cast boolit loads
Old August 10, 2018, 17:30   #99
grumpy1
Registered

FALaholic #: 72190
My two hardest recoiling guns are my 338-06 and my 300 WSM. Both are less than 7 pounds fully loaded and with a scope on them. I absolutely love to hunt Elk with them as they are easy to carry and with a little adrenaline dump when the elk show themselves, they donít hurt too bad. However, sitting down at a bench and putting more than 10 rounds through either is just plain painful.

My M24 was also very harsh, as it had no real recoil pad and it could also be that we always shot prone and our range day usually consisted of about 500 rounds.

I got a 12 gauge H&R single shot shotgun from my dad. Never shot that one, I knew it would hurt because it weighed like 4 pounds. I also had shot a 20 gauge version and hated that gun too.
grumpy1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 10, 2018, 19:16   #100
Riversidesports
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 36091
[QUOTE=Artful;4619140]
Quote:
Originally Posted by J308 View Post

The 13mm T Gewher is where America took the idea for the .50 BMG round from. They have been exempted from the NFA, owned one decades ago that was bone stock and was a rather abusive bitch. Shot it maybe a dozen times
several with WWI ammo, the rest was supposed to be Polish
Riversidesports is online now   Reply With Quote