Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The HK Files

Notices

Old July 16, 2018, 14:02   #1
olgier
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 17951
PTR 91 questions

I picked up a PTR 91 today for $500. like new one mags with a blackhawk claw/rail scope mount. receiver has no rail, plastic S/f lower.

The FH is just a spin on, no spring clip or washer. birdcage with no flats. The barrel has a double shoulder. IE: threads, wide flat, thin section then back to barrel width again.

I snugged up FH with strap wrench, should it be fine or find an original FH with retainer clip?

Asking because I sold my last HK years ago and I don't remember.

Also, has no paddle mag release. How hard is it to get one/slap it in?

Thanks!
“Think of the press as a great keyboard on which the government can play. The tune does not matter, so long it is the only one the public is allowed to hear. Eventually they will all dance.” – Joseph Goebbels

"And if you believe ANYTHING a musloid or a Marxist tells you, even about simple, rudimentary arithmetic, you deserve whatever hell you get." - Ann Barnhardt
olgier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2018, 22:56   #2
lew
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 16727
Paddle release installation requires someone who can weld and knows what they're doing. Not terribly expensive, if I recall right (no guarantee on that, and the gin is helping me type right now).

The FH sounds like a PTR flash hider (5/8-24?) and not the original HK M15x1 RH, although my PTR-made flash hider has flats on it.

"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence." -Christopher Hitchens
lew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 19, 2018, 10:11   #3
olgier
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

Thanks for the response. it does look like a paddle addition is more than plug and play..... drilling, welding, etc. The FH spins on clockwise, I'll have to check the threads I guess. I thought they used their FH on non stepped barrels.
“Think of the press as a great keyboard on which the government can play. The tune does not matter, so long it is the only one the public is allowed to hear. Eventually they will all dance.” – Joseph Goebbels

"And if you believe ANYTHING a musloid or a Marxist tells you, even about simple, rudimentary arithmetic, you deserve whatever hell you get." - Ann Barnhardt
Old July 20, 2018, 11:16   #4
Celt
Registered

FALaholic #: 415
Quote:
Originally Posted by olgier View Post

Thanks!

https://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/PTR-...-128p17611.htm
Celt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2018, 11:47   #5
olgier
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

thanks for the link. will have to think on that one. was looking for ambi front to back, the hk parts one is side to side from left to right .

Old July 20, 2018, 19:06   #6
FriendBesto
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 77523
I'm liking the TacLatch's on my '91 and '94 enough that I haven't bothered to get the conversion done.
If changing mags with your right hand, it's not too hard to hit the button old school style.
FriendBesto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 21, 2018, 20:04   #7
.30-06
Registered

FALaholic #: 68016
Wow at $500, you got a great deal. Do you know when the rifle was made? PTR made their earlier rifles with the standard HK threads before switching to the more common 5/8x24 not too long ago. I'd get an original fh with the retainer clip to play it safe. They're pretty cheap. I pulled the one mine came with and replaced it with a PWS muzzle brake and it was worth every penny. I'd definitely suggest getting the paddle mag installed, but that's just a preference.
Old July 30, 2018, 21:52   #8
BigD82
Registered

FALaholic #: 80294
If there are no wrench flats its 15x1 metric, later 5/8x24 models have wrench flats.. Just trust me i know lol i work on rollerlocks regularly.. The metrics are tightened using a 3/4 hinged spanner wrench.. Any other questions id be glad to assist..
BigD82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31, 2018, 14:31   #9
olgier
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

yup no flats on FH. I tightened it with a strap wrench. I do not know when it was made.

Old July 31, 2018, 22:05   #10
GRA556
Registered

FALaholic #: 81066
Quote:
Originally Posted by olgier View Post
I picked up a PTR 91 today for $500.

You got a sweet deal indeed especially if there's nothing wrong with it.

I've read where folks have contacted PTR and arranged to have their weapon go to them at the factory where they install the paddle release and the picatinny rail for a very reasonable amount of cost and in a very reasonable amount of turnaround time.

Contact them online here or call their tech line: http://ptr-us.com
Old August 05, 2018, 21:06   #11
Celt
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRA556 View Post

I've read where folks have contacted PTR and arranged to have their weapon go to them at the factory where they install the paddle release and the picatinny rail for a very reasonable amount of cost and in a very reasonable amount of turnaround time.

I did not know this. I have a JDL PTR91 with a Wilson barrel. I'll be contacting them shortly!
Old August 06, 2018, 10:07   #12
Celt
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRA556 View Post

PTR does NOT retrofit older rifles. Confirmed this morning.
Old August 06, 2018, 10:28   #13
GRA556
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celt View Post
Well they either used to or somebody lied to me. Neither am I very happy with.
Old August 06, 2018, 13:07   #14
hkshooter
Mighty Fine!
Contributor

FALaholic #: 5391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celt View Post
The older guns were JLD. This is previous to PTR even though the rifle and company name are now the same. To my knowledge PTR will not work on or warranty JLD rifles.
Old August 06, 2018, 20:53   #15
nfafan
Registered

FALaholic #: 6249
Been forever and a year since I had my Portuguese G3S, but it had a no-lock-ring flashhider on it. Only gun I regret selling more than my G3S was the Cent C93 that was actually pretty good.
Old August 06, 2018, 21:15   #16
GRA556
Registered

I've purchased a PTR 32 this year and I have no regrets at all. Although it's a little on the heavy side it has the top rail factory installed as is the paddle-type mag release. Real smooth action with very little recoil. A little low so far on the round count and only sighted in to date with a red dot but the accuracy appears to be as good if not better than an AK.

Just for kicks I'm going to put a Bushnell AK scope on it to see what happens. Good thing about the 7.62x39 caliber is there really isn't a whole lot of variations in bullet weights. I figure it's good for 0-150 yards easily.

It's supposed to take a few different AK mags but so far I've only used new Magpul AK mags and have had no mag or feeding issues at all.

I've thought about calling PTR and asking them if they would flute the barrel. If they will I'm going to send it in.