Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The AUG Files

Notices

Old January 27, 2017, 22:25   #1
wheelgunner505
Registered

FALaholic #: 75139
Check out this odd ball.......

Hello all,

I am posting this to see if anyone has any info on the different variations for the Steyr GB here in the U.S. Anyone know the American production numbers (i.e. blued vs parkerized sales numbers, combat vs. spurred hammers, etc...)

Thanks for any help in advance

The reason I am asking is because I acquired one today and there is not a whole lot of information available on them.

wheelgunner505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2017, 09:14   #2
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 4653
Nice gun. I don't know much about them except that the one I shot back in the late 80s was very accurate. And big.
Old January 28, 2017, 09:22   #3
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 96
Was the first 9mm I shot back in '86 - ended up going with the Hi-Power, then switched to the Sig 226. Then back to the Hi-Power, then to the Glock 17. But the Steyer always holds a special place in my heart as my first. (My issue sidearm was still a .45).

I've refinished many of them. I'm the only one I know who can wind the hammer springs - requires a special tool I made with direction from the gunsmith at Gun South way back when.

Almost bought one a few months ago at a show. It had 6 mags. I was going to toss the gun in the trash and sell the mags. Hahahaha Just kidding but the 6 mags were worth about twice the gun with no mags.

Posts by Daniel Lombard, R1shooter, DS Arms.
gunplumber is a domestic terrorist, selling out his country . . . .IMBEL = import crap. . .FN has no barrel timing spec! . . . gunplumber may be an asshole, but at least he tells the truth
gunplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2017, 15:48   #4
pre1989
Registered

FALaholic #: 76523
A little bit ..

There was both Miltary and commerical model here ..Miltary has a crinkly paint to it. They are rarer then the commerical models

In the USA org they had a company make them under licensce ( I forgot what the made them as ) but they were very very bad guns did not work ..So Styer came in and starting importing them

Past that I need to look back on my notes on models and hammer types

Been a long time since I looked
pre1989 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2017, 17:55   #5
Combloc
Registered

FALaholic #: 55596
It was the phosphate model that was the military one and there were 937 imported with that finish. I used to have one but sold it off. It was neat but the trigger pull sucked and mine would lock up if you got it too hot. I'm a fan of the pistol from a historical perspective but, as a tool, it is a poor one IMO. Here's the one I used to own:

Old January 28, 2017, 23:51   #6
SPEEDGUNNER
Firearms Connoisseur
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 43933
Back in the day the 18rd mag was a real draw, along with the typical Teutonic engineering. Advances in magazine design have made it possible for many smaller pistols to have the same capacity without the size.
And they roam the world at will."
- Robert Service
SPEEDGUNNER is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 30, 2017, 18:45   #7
Kevin
Registered

FALaholic #: 12
Rogak

I believe the sorry clones were Rogaks.

Kev
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31, 2017, 11:03   #8
wheelgunner505
Registered

Thanks for all the information fellers,

I sort if like the size of this big ass thing.The one complaint It do have is the trigger. I haven't taken a scale to it but I am estimating the DA pull to be 20 lbs or so.....ughh. Single action maybe 7-10 lbs?

I guess it was made in the day when men were men, mustaches were a sign of dominance and dainty male hands were non existent.

Here is comparison photo to show its mass:

Last edited by wheelgunner505; January 31, 2017 at 11:23.
Old February 13, 2017, 23:40   #9
Sagerider
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 66564
These are good looking but I heard reliability is poor and also the trigger is horrendous. You got one so what say you?

Matthew 25:1 thru 25:10 Be ready!

The written word sometimes like poetry is never really finished but merely abandoned.

I live alone in the middle of nowhere with two dogs and a cat, what do you think about that.

The wind blows, the rain falls, the flag snaps its bravery in the dark as two dogs boil for attention at my feet.

Of course it is a true story. You just couldn't make up something like that, no way.
Sagerider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2017, 08:22   #10
homelandprotector
Registered

FALaholic #: 16592
Back in about 1981 when I was 21, I almost bought that gun but opted for the Beretta 92SB...the guy said about the Beretta was going to be an excellent new design and it surely was... The Steyr GB was only about $240. and later I discovered that it was one of the only gas operated handguns ever made, which made recoil almost nonexistent, Looking back I wish I actually bought it instead of the Beretta...I think what turned me off was that it was so huge...beautiful gun though, all rounded edges and totally ergonomic feel. Great find BTW
Old March 05, 2017, 01:01   #11
Kingtubby
Registered

FALaholic #: 67046
That and the deagle. Though I cant say the deagle's recoil is almost nonexistent.
Kingtubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2017, 18:47   #12
skinnydash
Registered

FALaholic #: 79317
You'd think my first post on The FAL files would be of my FALs...Nope. Saw this thread a while ago and wanted to post my beauty. Had it since 1989/90 and now there are 3. I'm a big fan of the Steyr GB and I still use it a few times a year with/without the compensator. This is the later commercial model with the spur hammer and different hammer springs. Has a much better double action pull.
If I can get photohellwithit to work, I'll post the early commercial and military models later. Enjoy!

Last edited by skinnydash; March 16, 2017 at 18:58.
skinnydash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2017, 14:22   #13
skinnydash
Registered

For those interested in the compensator, it's 3 pieces. The comp and cylinder screw together and the end cap unscrews for cleaning.

Last edited by skinnydash; March 18, 2017 at 14:28.
Old March 18, 2017, 14:48   #14
skinnydash
Registered

Here's the early commercial and military models. I do like the serrations on the triggers of these early ones, but as wheegunner stated above, the pull is really heavy. The later models had smooth triggers and different hammer springs.

Old March 19, 2017, 10:51   #15
wheelgunner505
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagerider View Post
These are good looking but I heard reliability is poor and also the trigger is horrendous. You got one so what say you?
Reliability has been 100% for me. I have shot approximately 300 rounds through it. Trigger is super heavy but smooth and breaks like a glass rod.

Loading 18 rounds into the magazine can be painful. I think I've nicked my fingers up every time.
Old March 19, 2017, 17:49   #16
skinnydash
Registered

Mine have been 100% reliable as well.

Wheelgunner, did you get the box and cleaning tools with yours? It comes with 2 wire brushes, a pistol length cleaning rod and a patch holder. One of the wire brushes is steel and is an extremely aggressive wire for the interior of the nose cap/cylinder. I stopped using it for fear of wearing the chrome off the inside. Plus it will puncture your skin easily and hurts like heck. A bronze shotgun brush has worked fine for years.
I also don't try to keep the outside of the barrel spotless anymore. Usually it's sprayed down with Rem-oil, CLP or whatever is on hand to soak overnight. After that, use a stiff nylon brush on the outside of the barrel.
Use only jacketed ammo. Cast bullets with clog up the 2 gas ports in the barrel and leave streaks of lead in the polygon rifling (same reason Glock advises against cast/lead) and leave deposits in the cylinder that will lock that puppy up. The tight tolerances needed to make this gas gun work also work against it, so keep it clean and you'll stay reliable.

Last edited by skinnydash; March 19, 2017 at 20:06.
Old March 28, 2017, 07:14   #17
Gazz
Registered

FALaholic #: 15159
The US made clone was a Rogak.