The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The AR Files

Notices

Old July 09, 2018, 20:13   #1
PARA FN FAL
Registered

FALaholic #: 17487
Best Ammo For AR Pistol?

In a discussion about AR pistols with 10 inch barrels someone asked me what the best ammo is for personal defense use with such a short barrel. I know what I like which is the 50 grain Vmax but that is just the standard that I use in all of my AR15s. So what does the hive mind think about this. Is there a exceptional round out there that is out there?
PARA FN FAL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 09, 2018, 22:03   #2
Tuscan Raider
Registered

FALaholic #: 19668
Fusion, Gold Dots, Mk 318, 855a1, Mk262.

Ghandi

"We, here in America, hold in our hands the hopes of the world, the fate of the coming years; and shame and disgrace will be ours if in our eyes the light of high resolve is dimmed, if we trail in the dust the golden hopes of men."

Theodore Roosevelt
Address at Carnegie Hall
March 30, 1912
Tuscan Raider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 09, 2018, 22:45   #3
Falfan2017
Registered

FALaholic #: 79031
Best thing to do is put a 7.62x39 barrel on it. That round gives up very little speed in a 10" barrel and you can get practice ammo for .20 cents a round or decent soft point or hunting ammo for a bit more.

5.56 loses way too much punch in a 10"
Falfan2017 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2018, 08:47   #4
jhend170
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 76477
If you're losing length you want as much mass as possible. You didn't mention what your twist rate was but I'm hoping being short it's at least 1:8, but prefer 1:7. In that case run something with at least 69gr in a soft or hollow point. You need small bullets to stop in the target, not pass through like icepick wounds (big problem with light projos not going fast enough). 77gr from a 1:7 is your best combo in that length.

While at it though someone else mentioned 7.62x39. While cheap you have to have a different bolt head and the cases often have issues with the straight mags. I'd suggest the 300BO if you don't already have one. Swap the barrel, and done. You get up to 220gr projos in subs, 150ish in supers, packs a HELL of a lot more punch from short barrels inside 200yds. I've taken multiple pigs with my 10.5" pistol running 110gr soft points, and the wounds are devastating. While I've had some success with 69gr OTMs from my 18" 5.56 on them as well, it's 4lbs heavier, a foot longer, and less effective at the shorter ranges than the BO is.

Ultimately the tool should be fit for the job, and when stopping bad guys you want the tool to be as effective as possible. 5.56 from short barrels just isn't the best tool for the job. Sure, a crescent wrench will do about everything, but it really does nothing well.
jhend170 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2018, 11:58   #5
PARA FN FAL
Registered

FALaholic #: 17487
The 300 Black Out is great for what it was intended for. That being suppressed shooting and shooting out to a couple hundred yards. I was only looking at the 5.56 because it seems the pistol is so popular right now but I didn't know what ammo people were shooting out of them for defense use.
PARA FN FAL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2018, 17:05   #6
Tat2
Registered

FALaholic #: 52329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuscan Raider View Post
Fusion, Gold Dots, Mk 318, 855a1, Mk262.
^^^This^^^

T
Tat2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2018, 18:26   #7
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
^^^^^All Good Choices if Twist Rate Allows^^^^^

IMI Razor Core which is loaded with 77 gr SMK's at fair price and can find on good sales. Barnes 70 grain VOR-TX, Frontier U.S. made "military grade" 5.56 75 gr BTHP, Hornady Black 5.56 75 gr Interlock, Barnes 85 grain OTM all fall in the good for short barrel heavies or long distance wind buckers that fill a wide variety of uses.

From a combat medic who has inflicted, witnessed and treated hundreds of bullet wounds, read article linked below.

Quote:
Take from that what you will. For me, what I learned is, when it comes to*combat, shoot the heaviest*rifle*round*I can, shoot at what*I can hit, and then shoot it again if I can. I also learned that, in general,*multiple organ damage shortens the time a patient is able to compensate for hemorrhagic shock far greater than the effect of a larger wound track in a single organ. And the Ma Deuce is the greatest, most perfect thing ever*invented by man.
http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/201...can-hit-shoot/

I have some Tubb DTAC duplex projectile super heavies they announced, released and stopped offering really quick. Never seen offered again. Beck 77 gr REX is some bad@$$ 5.56 ammo as is Lehigh controlled chaos. I have been cutting Barnes 70 gr TSX off at front of first driving band and loading a Midway 50 gr Dogtown bullet on top of them which am afraid to shoot through my nice suppressors and only use through my Form 1 suppressor that can fix myself.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2018, 21:11   #8
John Crusher
Veteran Member
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 18663
I bought my 10.5" after I got a bunch of IMI 77gr. razor core on sale. I'm impressed with how reasonably accurate it is out to 100 with an Aimpoint Pro.
Old July 11, 2018, 22:40   #9
MACV
Registered

FALaholic #: 1167
Every rifle or pistol shoots different. You will have to put in the time to test different brands to see which type you like the best.
Old July 12, 2018, 01:11   #10
Tuscan Raider
Registered

FALaholic #: 19668
Check out arfcoms ammo section. Tons of info and vids
from people that do gel tests.

Believe a guy named bluefalcon has a bunch of stuff on YouTube.

Fusions and GD’s will reliably expand down to 2100fps, IIRC.
Both considered barrier bullets as they go through stuff and
retain weight.

Mk318 is another that expands/ fragments at low velocity. It will go through
a cinder block at 100yds going 3k fps also.

M855A1 is as close to a laser gun that we might see in our lifetimes.
That stuff is bad ass. If you reload, bullets are out there.

262 was designed with short barrels in mind.
If the military likes it, usually I do to. Slight bias.
Again, if you reload, lots of info for clone loads.

Good luck.

Ghandi

"We, here in America, hold in our hands the hopes of the world, the fate of the coming years; and shame and disgrace will be ours if in our eyes the light of high resolve is dimmed, if we trail in the dust the golden hopes of men."

Theodore Roosevelt
Address at Carnegie Hall
March 30, 1912

Last edited by Tuscan Raider; July 12, 2018 at 01:54.
Tuscan Raider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2018, 05:30   #11
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
M855A1 is the best new projectile for killing people that could be in a t-shirt or Level 3 rifle armor or behind a barrier I have tested. Luckily scored 500 rounds of military issue M855 and 200 rounds of M80A1 loaded ammo and been buying all the pulled projectiles I can get. Loaded in a 22 Nosler the M855A1 +300 fps is mean. Have not loaded any in my 22-250 Ackley Improved and have about 2,500 pulls so far. LGS has had a 22 Cheetah that seen no interest and three price reductions. The Cheetah is a 308 match case necked to 223 and think would be able to push a M855A1 close to 4,000 fps and no idea how it would act as well as copper solids but short throat life has scared me off but price is about right now can afford to rebarrel it once without penalty.

Have 7.5", 9.5" and 10.5" 5.56 barrels on the build list and all will be piston builds which is slowing me down adding $250 to build cost and a suppressor for each or at least more quick change cans. The one 10.5" upper I have has a pinned suppressor to make it rifle length but these new barrels will build as pistols to avoid that pitfall.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote