The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > General Firearms Discussion

Notices

Old March 21, 2019, 18:06   #151
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 1211
Question: How far does the short Palmetto gas tube actually engage the gas-key on the Palmetto bolt carrier?

See pics for answer.

Ask me about the Mason-Dixon FAL Collectors Association.
W.E.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2019, 19:39   #152
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

FALaholic #: 12090
If you look at the side by side comparison pics of the 3 types of gas tubes, you can clearly see how far each gas tube enters the gas key. The farthest point of gas key movement is indicated by the wear marks on each gas tube and terminates about the middle of the circular cut out near the breech face. Using that mark on each gas tube, you can see the PSA tube goes into the key about 2 times the diameter of the circular cut. The DPMS appears to go in to the key about 2 times the diameter of the circular cut. And the Fulton tube goes in about 3 times the diameter.

So that brings up a good test. How much does the insertion length of the gas tube into the gas key affect reliable operation? I would postulate that the shorter distances minimize the effect of gas pressure and pulse time, which may cause a lighter and less sharp bolt movement causing erratic extraction and feeding. The maximum insert would give a longer gas pulse meaning more pressure to activate the bolt giving sharper movement and quicker bolt speeds during the cycle.

So anybody in the process of building one care to try testing this out?

Schools uses to start with the "three R's". Reading, writing, and arithmetic. Now they start with the "three D's". Dipshitery, Dumbassery, and Douchebaggery-Retired Bum

If you do in fact have a problem, you have the rest of your life to solve it. How long your life lasts only depends on how well you solve it.
tac-40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2019, 19:48   #153
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

FALaholic #: 12090
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvcdl View Post
Gary

I can see your review on the PSA site.

Did you ever try to fire the PA-10 as issued from PSA?

I'm wondering if it would have worked in as shipped configuration with original trigger and stock.

It looks like yours and two others have indicated that the extractor performance was less than satisfactory - one review as 4 stars, yours a 3 star and the last was a 1 star. OUCH!!!

Schools uses to start with the "three R's". Reading, writing, and arithmetic. Now they start with the "three D's". Dipshitery, Dumbassery, and Douchebaggery-Retired Bum

If you do in fact have a problem, you have the rest of your life to solve it. How long your life lasts only depends on how well you solve it.
tac-40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2019, 19:52   #154
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

Its all put-together now.

And it cycles.

I reckon I'm gonna have to shoot it in a match.

I present to you, the 2019 version of the M-110 service rifle. All 15.2 pounds of it.

Old Yesterday, 13:49   #155
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

Another range-trip with the PA-10 today in its 15.2# configuration.

I still need to add some rail-covers, because the cheese-grater wasn't getting along so well with my left hand, even with a Creedmoor shooting glove.

I shot two targets. First target I made some corrections on the sight-adjustment. Target posted here, I left the knobs alone.

I have a bad habit of sending the first shot high. Hoping more familiarization, and rail-covers will mitigate that.

I fired all shots by feed from the magazine. But, I did break position on each shot to scope the shot in the spotting scope.

So far, I'm encouraged by the accuracy this barrel tries to provide when I do my part.

Old Yesterday, 13:55   #156
ftierson
Registered

FALaholic #: 13827
Looks like things are working out...

As a related aside, I use the Magpul Ladder rail covers, which are minimal but cut the sharpness very well. Unfortunately, they are sold individually and each $0.13 piece of plastic sells for $8-$12, depending on source...

I'm sure that someone will come along and recommend something more Tacticool...

Forrest
ftierson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 15:10   #157
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

Yeah, I have a bunch of the Magpul XTM panels to install.

I wasn't for-sure where I wanted them, so didn't put them on yet.

Glad I didn't, because its worked out that I need to move the pic-rails back more toward the mag well.

I need the forearm to be shaped so that it doesn't put all the pressure on one finger-joint and the corner of the pic-rail.