The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The Glock Files

Notices

Old October 24, 2017, 19:24   #1
PARA FN FAL
Registered

FALaholic #: 17487
What Aftermarket Magazines

I see that Magpul and ETS are producing Glock mags so is there any consensus about these being any good. Are there other after market mags coming out.

Last edited by PARA FN FAL; October 24, 2017 at 19:50.
PARA FN FAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24, 2017, 19:58   #2
SAFN49
None
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 73015
I just saw the Magpul was making them. I was just going to ask the same question before ordering any.

Anybody used the magpuls yet?
SAFN49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25, 2017, 03:39   #3
ByronF
Registered

FALaholic #: 630
There seems to be no consensus, but some arguments. Some say ETS are gummy with steel case ammo. Some say either are fine for range mags but not carry mags, which makes no sense to me at all. Why spend a dime on a mag that isn't suitable for carry when OEM mags aren't expensive?

I have a couple of AR25 mags that I've had to mark "RANGE USE ONLY" because they don't feed 100%. I should probably just throw away the bodies. To intentionally spend money on mags knowing that I'd only feel safe using them at the range would not occur to me. But I'm super smart, and shit.
ByronF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 25, 2017, 04:00   #4
Black Blade
Registered

FALaholic #: 76490
Reviews seem fine. I have mostly Glock brand and a shitload of KCI mags which work fine as well. Magpul generally know for decent products. May have to give a couple of these a try.
Old October 25, 2017, 15:01   #5
Timber Wolf
Registered

FALaholic #: 805
I have several of both and they all work fine. I like the MagPul better but the ETS work just as well. I only bought the ETS after seeing them on the belt of one of the most competitive guys I know at a USPSA match. I know him, he probably shoots a lot more then any of us and would not be using them if they did not work 100% for him. That said, Glock factory all the way for carry, but I don't like dumping and walking on my nice mags at a match.

"Guns don't kill people. Daddys with good looking daughters do!"
Timber Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 25, 2017, 16:28   #6
Old Sarge
Veteran Member
Contributor

FALaholic #: 3030
I have a pair of the Magpul ones that I have been using for several months. One of the G17 ones and one of the G19 ones. I leave them fully loaded between range trips to see if that causes any issues. So far I have put maybe 500 rounds though them and not had an issue with them. The one for the G17 works fine in my G19. Depending on price I would conceder stocking up on them and would to one in a carry gun. But if there is only a few dollars difference I am getting OEM mags.

Old Sarge
Old October 25, 2017, 16:32   #7
base704
Vampire Pilot
Contributor

FALaholic #: 14321
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByronF View Post
Why spend a dime on a mag that isn't suitable for carry when OEM mags aren't expensive?
This.^^^^

At their current price, I can afford to lose a few in training.
"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force."
-Ayn Rand, "The Nature of Government"

Last edited by base704; October 25, 2017 at 16:37.
base704 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 25, 2017, 17:09   #8
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 67949
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Blade View Post
Reviews seem fine. I have mostly Glock brand and a shitload of KCI mags which work fine as well. Magpul generally know for decent products. May have to give a couple of these a try.
Yep, same here.
People bad mouth KCI, but I've never had any issues with them.
Old October 25, 2017, 18:59   #9
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 96
Brownells. 10 packs of Glock mags for $195, or $19.50 each.

I could understand if they were $75 each, but really . . . .
Old October 25, 2017, 20:18   #10
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunplumber View Post
Brownells. 10 packs of Glock mags for $195, or $19.50 each.

I could understand if they were $75 each, but really . . . .
I carry a 357 Sig most days, and get the factory .40 SW mags used police from AIM on sale for 9.95.

Was paying 4.00 each for the model 19 KCI Glock mags back in the day, ??? five bucks for the model 17 mags, long before everyone told me they were junk, and the things work fine, do as they are supposed to do.

Some folks may have had trouble with them, (KCI) but I'm not one of them.

Lucky I guess.

We both carried US Government 1911 mags that were junk.
Old October 25, 2017, 21:23   #11
VALMET
Veteran Member
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 1826
Iím sure theyíre fine but like other posters have said, with OEM mags being a few bucks more, why not stick with factory? Iím an unashamed fanboy and can never have too many Glock mags but I like factory stuff.

"Dammit Smithers this is brain surgery, not rocket science!" -C. Montgomery Burns
VALMET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25, 2017, 21:27   #12
Black Blade
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowhand View Post
I carry a 357 Sig most days, and get the factory .40 SW mags used police from AIM on sale for 9.95.

Was paying 4.00 each for the model 19 KCI Glock mags back in the day, ??? five bucks for the model 17 mags, long before everyone told me they were junk, and the things work fine, do as they are supposed to do.

Some folks may have had trouble with them, (KCI) but I'm not one of them.

Lucky I guess.

We both carried US Government 1911 mags that were junk.
Good old brown wrapper KCI mags. For about $5 delivered it was a screaming bargain. Never had an issue with one. I know many have "brand loyalty" issues but I go for quantity and quality at bargain prices (just like decent Asian products such as the softshell TAD type jackets).

Old October 25, 2017, 22:52   #13
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Blade View Post
Good old brown wrapper KCI mags. For about $5 delivered it was a screaming bargain. Never had an issue with one. I know many have "brand loyalty" issues but I go for quantity and quality at bargain prices (just like decent Asian products such as the softshell TAD type jackets).

You and I seem to be the minority here, oh well, more good mags for us!

Someone mentioned Glock mags cost only a few dollars more above.

When I bought mine, in bulk for 4 or 5 bucks, factory Glock mags were going for 25 or more.
CDNN ran a special on them a very long time ago, tried a couple, they worked, so bought many more.

I ran a file through a few of the early ones to smooth up the metal liner where they cut the witness holes, but a friend told me to just force them full and that would handle it, and it worked.

I really can't tell any difference with them and Factory Glock, they work.
Old October 26, 2017, 01:08   #14
Black Blade
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowhand View Post
You and I seem to be the minority here, oh well, more good mags for us!

Someone mentioned Glock mags cost only a few dollars more above.

When I bought mine, in bulk for 4 or 5 bucks, factory Glock mags were going for 25 or more.
CDNN ran a special on them a very long time ago, tried a couple, they worked, so bought many more.

I ran a file through a few of the early ones to smooth up the metal liner where they cut the witness holes, but a friend told me to just force them full and that would handle it, and it worked.

I really can't tell any difference with them and Factory Glock, they work.
I think I got mine from Military Gun Supply. I see they sell KCI mags now for $17 each. Yikes!
Old November 01, 2017, 07:18   #15
GOVT1911
Registered

FALaholic #: 9433
I've been running several Magpul G17 mags in my G19 and 26 for quite a while and have never had any problems at all with them. I've been running some of the ETS in my 9mm AR and never a problem with them either.
Old November 08, 2017, 22:55   #16
Tactical Baron
Registered

FALaholic #: 79895
While I haven't used the ETS Glock mags, I have used Several of the 17 round Magpul ones. They're good mags, the spring on the five I got was stiff as all get out. They run fine, drop free every time, and they have that nifty orange follower. However I've been seeing factory Glock mags going from anywhere from $16 to $19.99 online, so I'd rather spend the few extra bits and pick up some factory mags, but that's just my two cents. Either way you're going to be good to hook on either option.
Tactical Baron is offline   Reply With Quote