The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > Ammunition

Notices

Old September 12, 2017, 13:56   #1
ArtBanks
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 28761
Bergers are so pretty

These bullets are so good looking, I almost hate to load them, almost.

Semper Fi
Art
ArtBanks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 12, 2017, 17:12   #2
Falfan2017
Registered

FALaholic #: 79031
Just bought a bunch of the 200 grainers. We shall see if they fly as good as they look
Falfan2017 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 12, 2017, 18:22   #3
ArtBanks
Platinum Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falfan2017 View Post
Just bought a bunch of the 200 grainers. We shall see if they fly as good as they look
Don't know about the 200s, but the 135,150 and 155s are top of the rail.
Old September 12, 2017, 19:26   #4
maxaks
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 76002
I got some bergers a couple weeks ago I would have to agree had to pick out my shineiest brass I had for them. flew better than factory 168 ammo but I get my new glasses Friday so it's on for the dirty bird challange. I'll have to try some of them 155s next time
what's the difference between the fb and hybrid?
I read hybrids are not as sensitive to seat depth but couldn't find anything about the fb
thanks

Last edited by maxaks; September 12, 2017 at 19:33.
maxaks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 12, 2017, 19:41   #5
Right Side Up
Registered

FALaholic #: 43
Bergers shoot nice little groups.

The best groups I shot at 100 yards from a .30 caliber were with some 135 grain flat base bullets made by Jeff Fowler. They were for a Hunter Benchrest application.
Right Side Up is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 12, 2017, 20:02   #6
Tuscan Raider
Registered

FALaholic #: 19668
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtBanks View Post

Semper Fi
Art
Load them? Can't hardly buy them.

Ghandi

"We, here in America, hold in our hands the hopes of the world, the fate of the coming years; and shame and disgrace will be ours if in our eyes the light of high resolve is dimmed, if we trail in the dust the golden hopes of men."

Theodore Roosevelt
Address at Carnegie Hall
March 30, 1912
Tuscan Raider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 12, 2017, 21:05   #7
moonbat60
Registered

FALaholic #: 17000
Quote:

Semper Fi
Art
Same here. I usually work up a load using Sierra 175gr.Mk, and then use the Bergers.
moonbat60 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 12, 2017, 21:06   #8
moonbat60
Registered

FALaholic #: 17000
I normally use the 175gr. OTM Tactical, #30105.
moonbat60 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 12, 2017, 22:21   #9
Falfan2017
Registered

The Bergers I bought recently were the 200 grain hybrid match .308 cal. I think they came to 26 cents each shipped free for 300 of em after using discount cabelas gift cards and active junky rebates. Not bad seeing as those are typically 50 cents each or more. 26 cent bullet plus 20 cent powder and 2 cent primer makes for some really affordable premium match grade ammo for a 30-06.
Old September 13, 2017, 04:29   #10
ArtBanks
Platinum Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxaks View Post
I got some bergers a couple weeks ago I would have to agree had to pick out my shineiest brass I had for them. flew better than factory 168 ammo but I get my new glasses Friday so it's on for the dirty bird challange. I'll have to try some of them 155s next time
what's the difference between the fb and hybrid?
I read hybrids are not as sensitive to seat depth but couldn't find anything about the fb
thanks
FB is way easier on the throat than the boat tail used in hybrids.
Old September 13, 2017, 07:21   #11
Falfan2017
Registered

Quote:
FB is way easier on the throat than the boat tail used in hybrids.
Always thought the idea of being concerned about shooting out your barrel was kind of silly. Unless you've got some kind of super match custom barrel you're going to spend 10x times on your ammo what you would on a new barrel even if you reload
Old September 13, 2017, 08:02   #12
TenTea
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 72247
I enjoy a pretty burger as well as the next guy.

=------} They strain gnats and swallow camels...

=------} Just a battleship mouth and a rowboat ass...
TenTea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 13, 2017, 08:31   #13
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
In the rifles I use to find that last tenth of an inch of accuracy potential of a cartridge I stopped worrying about cost a long time ago. It's either that or shoot a worn out sportorized milsurp bolt rifle with milsurp ammo. Have an action blueprinted, pay the smith to profile/chamber/crown/fit a $500 barrel blank, bed the action in a nice stock, sit a blueprinted target scope on it all realizing some cartridges have a 1,000 round throat life and cost per bullet is seemingly insignificant. On the reloading side by a large lot of high quality brass in parent case, form to proper cartridge, fireform, outside turn and inside ream for proper bullet tension and neck fit to chamber after a good chamber cast, weigh each case, measure internal volume and sit the 1/3 that fall out of spec to the side and figure labor at minimum wage probably have over $20 invested per case. Time shooting ladders and working up that perfect load does 40, 60 or 80 cents per projectile really matter?

Never forget first time ordered an expensive box of bullets and arrived with 50 instead of 100. Almost lost my mind but loaded up ten using some of my good cases with a known good powder and charge for rifle and ordered several more boxes. I like shooting cast bullets by the pound and pull downs by the hundreds in a day. Factory seconds and blems have their place as well but there are those rifles that cost for components are like worrying about how much each 100 horse power nitrous shot costs when trying to knock a half second off your quarter mile time. Have a friend that spends more money on nitrous over a weekend than I do on ammo over a week so it's all relative. I like Berger bullets when want to eliminate bullet inconsistency from the equation when working up a load and there still cheaper than Barnes Copper Solids. I am waiting on the day when a near perfect alloy meets the next generation of Swiss Screw machines and we have a new generation of turned solids that take us to the next level. I can see the engineers designing new shapes to rear or bullets that change the way air flows over the surface and affects the turbulence behind the bullet like car companies pour money into aerodynamics. If have to pony up over a buck per projectile (oops, already doing that) won't complain if can't measure group size much beyond diameter of bullet and how cleanly they cut the paper or those darn ground hogs and coyote out past 400 yards fall over first shot.

Shiney and sexy lines are just a bonus with a nice VLD bullet...
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 14, 2017, 10:29   #14
ArtBanks
Platinum Contributor

Yep,and Barnes brass solids are pretty too.
Old September 14, 2017, 11:42   #15
TenTea
Registered
Contributor

My smart alleck reply: Yep, pretty barns too.

Old September 14, 2017, 11:53   #16
TenTea
Registered
Contributor

I have a meticulous handloader friend and shooting buddy.
His handloads are *pretty.*
He prefers new brass and if not, he cleans and polishes till sparkling.
All his cartridges are packaged in colorful plastic boxes with detailed labels.

Me?
I sometimes wash or wipe my brass, and bulk package my cartridges in ziplock bags or ammo cans.
I am not afraid of tarnish!
I use cut up primer boxes to write brief cryptic notes, which are thrown in with the loaded ammo, such as "168 CC/41 A2520"

I don't know much about Berger or Barnes...I used to know Sierra but now it's Nosler for me and usually Custom Competition.

I agree, most copper clad bullets are pretty...

Old September 14, 2017, 12:05   #17
Falfan2017
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenTea View Post
I have a meticulous handloader friend and shooting buddy.
His handloads are *pretty.*
He prefers new brass and if not, he cleans and polishes till sparkling.
All his cartridges are packaged in colorful plastic boxes with detailed labels.

Me?
I sometimes wash or wipe my brass, and bulk package my cartridges in ziplock bags or ammo cans.
I am not afraid of tarnish!
I use cut up primer boxes to write brief cryptic notes, which are thrown in with the loaded ammo, such as "168 CC/41 A2520"

I don't know much about Berger or Barnes...I used to know Sierra but now it's Nosler for me and usually Custom Competition.

I agree, most copper clad bullets are pretty...
Haha we must have read the same handloading book. I show up to the range with an old plastic juice bottle of tarnished looking 9mm loaded with discount pulled fmj. As long as that go bang and are reasonably accurate to 25 yards I'm happy.

Long range rifle stuff takes a little more care.
Old September 14, 2017, 16:32   #18
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

I have nice color coded boxes with ammo stored point up so all the work I put into "pointing" my bullets doesn't go to waste. Then each box gets a custom label printed on a professional industrial printer with load info for my "standard loads and spaces to write powder, charge weight, bullet and actual cartridge.

Good lighting and organized room to work at my "experimental bench" thats used for working up loads:

Range ammo all stored in tidy and well labeled manner:

Have jugs that I keep brass separated in and labeled so always sure what has or has not been done to cases as the progress through the system:

I like properly prepped cases. My primer pockets are meticulously prepped first time through they system but afterwards don't have to mess with again as know are uniform depth, diameter, flash holes centered and same size as well as deburred:

Large lots are run in cardboard boxes or five gallon buckets:

Have trimmer for every cartridge I load. settings are never changed except for custom rifles so know a case trimmed a decade ago will have been trimmed to same length a decade from now. All have power conversions so set on bench and attach cordless screw gun:

On of three shelves of trimmers, I hate resetting equipment why hae a line of bullet sizers and line of progressive presses:

Since do more 45 acp than all others, use a dedicated power machine.

Plenty of reference material at hand:

Cast bullets stored carefully and as organized as match bullets:

Running a lot of cast "commie bullets" for the wife:

Box filling up during large batch run. When box is full all get wiped down, hand inspected and packaged neatly. Have way too many odd-ball wildcats and mismarked head stamps to not be neat. Bet 90% of my 25-06 are 30-06 head stamp and so on:

Disorder leads to disaster:

Primers in transition from long term storage to staging area for presses:

When I decided to corner the market on SS109 projectiles. Have over 50,000 in stock waiting for the press:

Mow trying to get all the M855A1:

When M855 subcaliber research transitioned to M855A1 subcaliber rounds:

Pretty bullets ready for packaging:

Yes, sir, proud of my stinking bullets and how they are packaged and stored whether short term or long term:

UPS just ran and have ten fresh boxes of 30 caliber 168 grain SMK's. Guess I can quit since technically still do not have power at work and take them home and see if wife will run them though the pointing die while I work on something like making loaded rounds fall off the end of a progressive press. Generator needs to cool down anyway.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
Old September 14, 2017, 18:51   #19
Falfan2017
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyville View Post
I have nice color coded boxes with ammo stored point up so all the work I put into "pointing" my bullets doesn't go to waste. Then each box gets a custom label printed on a professional industrial printer with load info for my "standard loads and spaces to write powder, charge weight, bullet and actual cartridge.

Good lighting and organized room to work at my "experimental bench" thats used for working up loads:

Range ammo all stored in tidy and well labeled manner:

Have jugs that I keep brass separated in and labeled so always sure what has or has not been done to cases as the progress through the system:

I like properly prepped cases. My primer pockets are meticulously prepped first time through they system but afterwards don't have to mess with again as know are uniform depth, diameter, flash holes centered and same size as well as deburred:

Large lots are run in cardboard boxes or five gallon buckets:

Have trimmer for every cartridge I load. settings are never changed except for custom rifles so know a case trimmed a decade ago will have been trimmed to same length a decade from now. All have power conversions so set on bench and attach cordless screw gun:

On of three shelves of trimmers, I hate resetting equipment why hae a line of bullet sizers and line of progressive presses:

Since do more 45 acp than all others, use a dedicated power machine.

Plenty of reference material at hand:

Cast bullets stored carefully and as organized as match bullets:

Running a lot of cast "commie bullets" for the wife:

Box filling up during large batch run. When box is full all get wiped down, hand inspected and packaged neatly. Have way too many odd-ball wildcats and mismarked head stamps to not be neat. Bet 90% of my 25-06 are 30-06 head stamp and so on:

Disorder leads to disaster:

Primers in transition from long term storage to staging area for presses:

When I decided to corner the market on SS109 projectiles. Have over 50,000 in stock waiting for the press:

Mow trying to get all the M855A1:

When M855 subcaliber research transitioned to M855A1 subcaliber rounds:

Pretty bullets ready for packaging:

Yes, sir, proud of my stinking bullets and how they are packaged and stored whether short term or long term:

UPS just ran and have ten fresh boxes of 30 caliber 168 grain SMK's. Guess I can quit since technically still do not have power at work and take them home and see if wife will run them though the pointing die while I work on something like making loaded rounds fall off the end of a progressive press. Generator needs to cool down anyway.
That looks like american reloading packaging!
Old September 15, 2017, 10:15   #20
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Wife spent over 2 hours pointing 168 and 190 grain SMK's. I managed to clean primer pockets and hand prime 500 Berdan brass 7.62 NATO cases. Still have no three phase at work so was in a quandary about decapping them and based in another recent thread pulled out my RCBS contraption. With a little adjusting and reaquanting myself with it was able to sit and get through first 600 cases during storms while wife watched DVD's sitting on sofa when taking breaks from reloading room chores. It's amazing how much we got done with two people working three full days in the trenches. Best part was the first day of wife pilfering boxes and separating mixed up stuff. She found a half dozen boxes of new magazines that had never been opened and put in proper storage. Might have more 6.8 magazines than some big distributors. Also "found" a ton of new 5.56, inch FAL, metric FAL, H&K, CETME, AR 10 and M1a magazines. Luckily she had me handling them and cutting open so didn't see all the invoices, especially the box full of stainless 25 round M1a mags but rather than hoard silver and gold, we hoard AR 15's, various hi capacity magazines and reloading components.

First box of 1,000 count bags of pull down projectiles she decided better to ask me to bring next box as she repacked previous in usual manner. Had to repurpose six of the bigger fireproof/waterproof security boxes which had me moving more slides and negatives into the media safe which needed to be done years ago. Still need another half dozen of the boxes but local Lowe's and Home Depot are both out of large size. Know won't save magazines if entire house burned to ground but if F.D. gets here before fully involved the waterproof feature means won't have to pull them all apart, dry, oil and reassemble. Did a ton of case prep and bullet prep. Finished three handgun loading projects resulting in a total of 3,800 rounds of 9mm, 40 Smith and 45 acp ready for range. Since then it's been nothing but work on mix of Berdan and boxer 7.62 cases and prepping bullets. Managed to get 500 Berdan and 700 Boxer cleaned, deprimed, trimmed and primer pockets serviced then reprimed. Wife got 1,500 jacketed bullets "pointed" then set in on sizing, lubing and installing gas checks on 30 caliber 160 grain cast bullets which I was concerned about stress on her wrist but once got the lube preheated she was slow but steady.

Tonight going to drop powder and seat the 500 168 grain SMK's in Lake City and 200 of the 190 grain SMK's in matched commercial cases. Spent this morning before leaving for work getting 200 more Berdan 7.62 NATO cases deprimed which leaves me just 300 left and can run that batch. 1,700 7.62 rounds loaded and almost 4,000 means can mule more powder from shed into house, work to shed and order a couple or three kegs to round up legal inventory at work. Someday someone may be able to explain why in loaded ammo there is no limit on powder but in jugs they set a relatively low capacity of 20 pounds in original containers and 50 pounds in approved "powder magazine" can drop 20 pounds in a weekend. When adopted 6.8 and after third build with more parts on way found a super deal on primed cases and pull down 90 grain Gold Dots. At ~230 rounds per pound three eight pound kegs will top of 5,600 rounds. Dropped five eight pound kegs in a couple weeks and still had empty cases. While organizing wife asked why we had so many jugs of Unique, H322, Varget and TAC. Showed her the pile she pulls her "commie bullets" from and said there were three kegs of AA2230 in those. Ran the math for her and she asked if we should get some more as only saw singles of 2230 and doesn't want to run out of "commie bullets". Assured her we had more and explained storage rules. Do not think could have special ordered a wife from the factory any more understanding of firearms and recreation. Money is to be enjoyed, not hoarded in an account where all you have is a monthly statement that any day the Feds can shut down the banks. Quality time together is reloading, packing up ammo or sending it downrange. Good thing she didn't ask price of a keg or 5,000 count case of primers. All that's currently sitting on bench is decade old stock and price tags are less than half of current.
Old September 15, 2017, 10:28   #21
ArtBanks
Platinum Contributor

I questioned the amount of powder allowed years ago and was told that related to black powder and not smokeless.
That's my story and I am sticking to it.

Last edited by ArtBanks; September 17, 2017 at 19:20.
Old September 17, 2017, 13:00   #22
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

50 pounds in house, 50 in shed and 50 at work with more usually inbound on a truck with whats loaded in cases and put in long term storage lockers figure will not suffer too poorly is have a powder shortage. Do keep an extra 50 pounds in my moms "utility room" and well am not really that good at counting when numbers exceed the numbers of fingers on hands and toes if take my shoes off. Been more than once have spent a long weekend running progressive press just to get inventory levels down to proper levels if too many trucks delivered the same week.
Old September 17, 2017, 14:08   #23
Falfan2017
Registered

Just loaded up some 200 gr bergers in a 3006 with 54 gr of imr4831 and loaded 155gr hpbt with 53 gr imr4064. Both loads chronoed significantly faster than the load book suggested. The 155 gr load was 150 fps faster with a spread of only 20 fps so it wasn't like there was one outlier with the ammo heating up in the gun or something. Is that extra velocity something to be concerned about? I didn't see any pressure signs. i worked up to these loads and the groups continued to improve the more powder and speed they had. Especially the 200 grainers they ended up doing about 2560 and were the best of all my groups. Since I'm seeing no pressure signs it's tempting to add another half a grain of powder to each and see what happens. Following hogdons online data and double checking it against lee precision.
Old September 17, 2017, 21:15   #24
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falfan2017 View Post
Just loaded up some 200 gr bergers in a 3006 with 54 gr of imr4831 and loaded 155gr hpbt with 53 gr imr4064. Both loads chronoed significantly faster than the load book suggested. The 155 gr load was 150 fps faster with a spread of only 20 fps so it wasn't like there was one outlier with the ammo heating up in the gun or something. Is that extra velocity something to be concerned about? I didn't see any pressure signs. i worked up to these loads and the groups continued to improve the more powder and speed they had. Especially the 200 grainers they ended up doing about 2560 and were the best of all my groups. Since I'm seeing no pressure signs it's tempting to add another half a grain of powder to each and see what happens. Following hogdons online data and double checking it against lee precision.
If no pressure signs wouldn't worry but might not add a half grain at one leap if near top of chart. I shoot ladders usually then hone in on a charge based on where they cluster for best accuracy. Might add .2 grains to a few, then another .2 if see no issues with first ones. When working up each move up gets smaller for me.