Notices

Old October 04, 2018, 17:53   #1
tesoro
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 80621
Athlon Budget Scopes

Hello all.
I've been looking for a decent, budget friendly powerful scope.
Been viewing good reviews/vids on Athlon scopes. Thus far my choice is the Athlon Argos BTR 6-24x 50mm. Price is $369.99, but many of thier scopes are reasonably priced and include what claim to be unconditional lifetime warranties.
Said scope will be placed upon a semi 308 that I plan to use vigorously. Mostly within 300 yards on paper and gongs, (plinking), with an occasional mag dump.
Any and all advice appreciated.
Regards
tesoro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 04, 2018, 19:47   #2
akinnepa
Registered

FALaholic #: 63099
I just picked up a used 8-34x56 Argos mil FFP for $300 shipped.
Old October 04, 2018, 23:22   #3
tesoro
Registered
Contributor

Nice score. How's the glass?
Thanks
Old October 05, 2018, 12:25   #4
lew
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 16727
I have two of the Talos 1-4x. The glass is exceptional and all the adjustments track true. I consider them an excellent value. At the NRA show, I compared their offerings to Primary Arms, Nikon, Bushnell, Vortex, and a couple other budget-to-mid level scopes. Athlon and Vortex were at the top of the heap by a comfortable margin. As much as I like dealing with Primary, their scopes- including one I purchased last year- left a lot to be desired.

"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence." -Christopher Hitchens
lew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 05, 2018, 17:10   #5
tesoro
Registered
Contributor

Excellent.
I didn't know a thing about Athlon until a video on their scopes popped up as I was cruising the web.
The B. Goodman show is here this weekend and I will have a gander for Athlon.
Also, I've never owned a FFP scope. Anything I should be aware of?
Thanks
Old October 05, 2018, 19:08   #6
akinnepa
Registered

FALaholic #: 63099
Quote:
Originally Posted by tesoro View Post
Nice score. How's the glass?
Thanks
Don't know yet, just mailed payment an hour before you posted. I'll keep you posted.
Old October 06, 2018, 12:44   #7
tesoro
Registered
Contributor

Just returned from B. Goodman show and actually got to see the Argos I originally mentioned. Nice scope with what seems like a sturdy build. The Athlon display was next to the Vortex display. The glass is comparable.
The one thing I'm not familiar with is FFP. Eye relief and target acquisition was difficult. But, if optic were on a riFal instead of handheld, I'm sure it would be better. Plus I've only owned SFP scopes. Learning curve.
Didn't buy today, but did find a few desirable mags. So trip wasn't a loss.
Thanks again and keep me posted.
Regards
Old October 06, 2018, 14:47   #8
lew
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tesoro View Post
Also, I've never owned a FFP scope. Anything I should be aware of?
As imprecise as it can be, get comfy using the reticle to range targets. Most importantly, having the same MRAD/MOA values at all magnifications really simplifies holdovers and corrections. If it's a low-power variable scope, SFP is more than sufficient. For longer range and a higher-magnification optic, FFP or bust.

"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence." -Christopher Hitchens
Old October 06, 2018, 15:35   #9
tesoro
Registered
Contributor

Thanks lew for advice.
Question; is there agreed upon method to "zero" a 6x24 50mm FFP scope?
I have no experience and when I refer to YouTube everything thing from 25, 50 and traditional 100yrd zeros are recommended? I realize elements, projectile, grain, etc+ are to be considered.
Me, I'm not concerned with all that. I will shoot Hirtenberger or Malaysian surplus for now. If I ring a 12" gong at 300yrds I'll be quite happy.
Thanks
Old October 08, 2018, 13:16   #10
lew
Registered
Bronze Contributor

For your usage shooting up to 300m, I'd zero at 100 and use reticle holdovers to get you out to your maximum desired range. It's not really required for your application, but, if you want to get out further, consult a ballistics table- I prefer JBM Ballistics, available for free online- to determine the optimum zero range for that rifle. Hornady's 4DOF calculator is another good, free program.

A 6-24x50 is a bit much for 300m/yds., but it will certainly get the job done. If you're shooting different loads and doing so in differing climatic conditions, you will need to establish different zeros for those loads, as they are unlikely to shoot to the same point-of-impact. Those different zeros and the adjustments needed to get there can then be recorded for later reference.

For my particular applications, I chose a 200m zero for my 6.5 CM, since I plan to shoot that up to around 1300m banging steel. My 5.56 XCR is zeroed at 100m, since I only take that to around 700m. On both, it's easier and faster to use the reticle and holdovers than it is to adjust the elevation knob.

For my iron-sight rifles, I typically zero at 50m, as that also gets you a (roughly) 300m zero for .308 and 250m for 5.56, with a very small point blank zone between the two points. In other words, the same point-of-aim can be used from 50- ~300m.

Old October 09, 2018, 16:24   #11
tesoro
Registered
Contributor

I agree 6x24 50mm is a bit much for my needs. I shoot 8x with relative ease at 300m/y. I also use high scope mounts so I can see iron sights. When/if I hit "gong" at 300m/y using iron sights its a good day. Ha.
Only chance I have to shoot distance is nearly here. (Crop season). My friend has a 1000+m/y fence line that's shootable before and after harvest. I envy the distances you shoot.
For now I'll continue to "lob" 308's at a 1000m/y gong and be happy if/when I get a hit.
I do have interest in a 6.5 CM, but can't justify the cost yet. My skills must also improve.
So, I'll give one of these Athlon scopes a try. As previously stated after physically viewing one, Athlon seems to produce a sturdy scope with comparable price range glass. I really need to see one mounted.
I will take advice provided and zero at 100.
Thanks for the comments lew, et al.
I'll keep you posted.
Regards, tesoro
Old October 10, 2018, 12:53   #12
lew
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Get a ballistics table made up for the load your shooting, practice reading wind, remember the fundamentals, and I think you won't have much problem getting repeatable hits with that .308 out to 800, if not 1000.

Cheers!