The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > Curios & Relics

Notices

Old October 01, 2018, 14:57   #1
nvcdl
Registered

FALaholic #: 1312
.30 American Eagle Luger

Made a lowball bid at an estate sale to keep things moving and ended up with a .30 American Eagle Luger. Has a high polish reblue job. Marked Germany under Serial number and has American Eagle on top of receiver.

Any idea of what something like this is worth? Trying to come up with a price to list it locally or on gunbroker.
nvcdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 01, 2018, 15:12   #2
Bawana jim
Registered

FALaholic #: 17482
http://www.collectorsfirearms.com/dw...istol-pr18436/

https://www.gunsamerica.com/95278924...AGLE-30-CA.htm
Old October 01, 2018, 17:10   #3
nvcdl
Registered

These seem to be original finish. I saw someone had listed a similar reblued one for $1500 on gunbroker but it didn't sell.

Old October 01, 2018, 18:19   #4
MilsurpMonkey
Red-headed Step Child
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 75965
Reblued American Eagles in .30 are hard to move. Collectors frown on the reblue, and shooters frown on the .30. It's a shame they do, all of my. 30 lugers outshoot my 9mms. And they feed far more reliably. Post some pics, but my guess in today's market would be in the $1200-$1400 range with a long soak. $950-$1100 for a quicker sale. Just my .02
Old October 01, 2018, 19:02   #5
nvcdl
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilsurpMonkey View Post
Reblued American Eagles in .30 are hard to move. Collectors frown on the reblue, and shooters frown on the .30. It's a shame they do, all of my. 30 lugers outshoot my 9mms. And they feed far more reliably. Post some pics, but my guess in today's market would be in the $1200-$1400 range with a long soak. $950-$1100 for a quicker sale. Just my .02
Thanks for the info - I haven't taken any pics but the reblue is pretty nice looking. If you are interested I can take some pics.
Old October 02, 2018, 14:56   #6
Sagerider
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 66564
From the prior posts and I agree the reblue took this pistol out of the collector relem. So with that what you have is a shooter. Being a 30 cal and not a 9mm further reduces the market for it. Being an odd ball unlike the 9mm that is cheep, abundant and almost everyone who reloads reloads for 9mm already. Obtaining dies, cases and bullets does not appear to be an issue other than the expense but it is an expense. Being a bottle neck case also has it’s own reloading issues I would imagine. I have never reloaded the 30 Luger but the things I have listed above has always been a factor for me with a potential purchase of any pistol in that caliber like the reblued broom handle Mauser I passed on a few years ago. The reblue that was done badly sure did not help much, way too much buffing to clean the pistol up. It would have been better to have left it alone. The asking price on top of all that killed it for me.
My 2 cents

Matthew 25:1 thru 25:10 Be ready!

The written word sometimes like poetry is never really finished but merely abandoned.

I live alone in the middle of nowhere with two dogs and a cat, what do you think about that.

The wind blows, the rain falls, the flag snaps its bravery in the dark as two dogs boil for attention at my feet.

Of course it is a true story. You just couldn't make up something like that, no way.
Sagerider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 03, 2018, 09:06   #7
Gazz
Registered

FALaholic #: 15159
I have watched prices on the .30 cal American Eagles for years and agree with M-Monkey. Original finish with wear sell for around the same and maybe a bit more depending on how much wear. These are auction prices and not dealer prices that I watch. I bought a rather nice original finish one about 20 years ago for $1300 so I try to keep an eye on my investment. Here is one;
http://www.amoskeagauction.com/113/153.php sold March, 2017
Old October 04, 2018, 05:37   #8
yovinny
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 7679
I have a minty one myself, in it's original 'Ambercrombie & Fitch NY' marked holster.
Iirc I paid like $600. For it around 1990 or so.
yovinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 05, 2018, 06:28   #9
Gazz
Registered

$600 was a bargain even then I think.
Old October 05, 2018, 16:23   #10
yovinny
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazz View Post
$600 was a bargain even then I think.
Very likely..I was running a gun store then and never bought anything for myself that wasent..
Old October 05, 2018, 19:03   #11
Gazz
Registered

And that is a bargain!
Old October 09, 2018, 05:26   #12
raubvogel
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64403
I think it all depends on what you want to do.

If you want to flip it, don't expect $1K for it.

If you want to wait and sell it later on when the market it right, I have a feeling eventually the 30 Luger ones will go up in price, but "unimproved" models will always fetch more from collectors. But, if the blueing is old enough, eventually some collectors will want them for they themselves are historically representative, like early 50s sporterizations.

And then there is the guy in a gun show in FL who went livid (I guess the more sensitive and politically correct term is "apeshit") because the Mauser C96 he cerakoted (or whatever that was; I really do not know the names) and engraved a huge American flag and Jesus around the magazine did not worth as much as one with the original finish worn off. He should have engraved jewels on it too. It was funny to hear him (I was looking at a Chinese Tokarev when "noticed" he was there) arguing it should worth $2K more because of all the effort he put on it. At least he did not welded a rail to it...
raubvogel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 09, 2018, 07:12   #13
Raggedwhole!
completely lost it -- BANNED

FALaholic #: 74227
There is a guy in Levittown PA that makes .45 acp Lugers in house from scratch. Beautiful pistols to shoot but they are $7,000 a piece..... One day I will get one. Always a heartbreaker to see a beautiful old gun that has had the markings polished down and crappily reblued. I love old Colt 1911s and unfortunately have seen this too many times.
Raggedwhole! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 09, 2018, 10:10   #14
Story
Registered

FALaholic #: 7638
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvcdl View Post
Any idea of what something like this is worth?
Why not go get a box of .30 Luger and go shoot it. You might decided that you love it.
Story is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 09, 2018, 21:23   #15
Retired Bum
Registered

FALaholic #: 21904
Winchester is the only US maker of .30 Luger ammo. In 1989 I bought one of Browning Mark II High Powers in .30 Luger imported by the Ron Shirk Shooter Supply wholesaler. I already had a small supply of the Winchester ammo as at one time I owned a DWM Model 1923 Luger chambered for the round.

Finding .30 Luger ammo back then wasn't easy. Go to a small gun shop and more than likely the owner/hired help never heard of the cartridge. I did find several boxes of the W-W .30 Luger out of town and bought every one. Not too badly priced back them. About $15 per 50 as I recall. I bought a set of CH Armory loading dies and .30 Speer 100 grain Plinker bullets and I was good to go.

Today Winchester only makes one production run of .30 Luger maybe once a year if even that often. And it is pricey. Last time I saw any it was at the local Gander Mountain and was $50 for a 50 round box. Typical GM price gouging....

Foreign made .30 Luger is available. I bought Fiocchi from CDNN. It was reasonably priced at just under $20 per 50 rounds. Fiocchi has two loads for the round. A 93 grain FMJ and a 93 grain JSP. I seriously doubt that the JSP bullet is capable of any expansion. I chronographed it at 1150 fps in the High Power. I have shot Swedish Norma and the German RWS/Geco as well. But as far as I know they are impossible to find these days. I don't know if S&B and PPU produce the round or if so it is imported.

And so it goes.

The Retired One
Retired Bum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 15, 2018, 22:44   #16
adbm3
Registered

FALaholic #: 61973
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raggedwhole! View Post
There is a guy in Levittown PA that makes .45 acp Lugers in house from scratch. Beautiful pistols to shoot but they are $7,000 a piece..... One day I will get one. Always a heartbreaker to see a beautiful old gun that has had the markings polished down and crappily reblued. I love old Colt 1911s and unfortunately have seen this too many times.
AKA Lugerman
adbm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15, 2018, 22:56   #17
adbm3
Registered

FALaholic #: 61973
https://www.simpsonltd.com/collectio...american-eagle

Try this link. These are by no means definitive prices but simply a guideline. Simpson is not the most reliable indicator of price since most of their stuff is consigned. But, it can give you an idea.

Reblued AE's are not necessarily undesirable - I firmly appreciate my 06 reblued 9mm. Yes, the collector value will be a bit less but there are some aficionados that would prefer a pretty reblued commercial. Also, it should be determined what year you have since AE's were produced as 1900 and 1906 models with many minor variations.

As a caveat, the Luger market is super soft and has been for some time. Prices are topped out and collector interest is on the wane since the guys who were really into these things are dying out, literally, and most of the kids like plastic glocky things now.
adbm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17, 2018, 14:05   #18
fal762
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 66358
Here's ammo, if wanted https://ammoseek.com/ammo/30-luger
fal762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17, 2018, 19:02   #19
yovinny
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FN made ammo too, fmj in nice little 25rd boxes..
I should really dig some out and shoot mine,,probably been 20yrs
Old October 17, 2018, 19:16   #20
Raggedwhole!
completely lost it -- BANNED

FALaholic #: 74227
Quote:
Originally Posted by adbm3 View Post
AKA Lugerman
The one and only. I reload .45 acp so his pistols are on my radar. I'm getting locked in.
Raggedwhole! is offline   Reply With Quote