Go Back   The FAL Files > To Keep and Bear Arms > Competitive Shooting

Notices

Old March 13, 2018, 16:04   #351
stimpsonjcat
I wasn't talking to you
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 470
I am not curious...I am resigned.

I did get a 5k in today with the weight vest on stopping every mile to do burpees, but it was on the treadmill as my left knee is not happy and I decided to just work on stride and not speed.

"The game is worth the candle...always been."

"It’s hard to light a candle, easy to curse the dark instead."
stimpsonjcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2018, 16:42   #352
kotengu
Registered

FALaholic #: 1594
Knees suck. And so do last-minute changes!
Old March 14, 2018, 06:15   #353
TedKennedy
Registered

FALaholic #: 77344
The Weather Channel says it going to be 80 and sunny on Friday.

In Tulsa.
TedKennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2018, 06:21   #354
beseventeen
history of bad ideas
Contributor
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 75901
lol @ me being a ferrari, that makes me feel good I was thinking more miata, but I'll take that

and WTH at the weather?? I guess I'll just bring all of my clothes and decide what to run in when I get there!
beseventeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2018, 09:07   #355
stimpsonjcat
I wasn't talking to you
Silver Contributor

How big are the stage 5 pistol targets?

Old March 14, 2018, 12:49   #356
kotengu
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by stimpsonjcat View Post
How big are the stage 5 pistol targets?
6" plates.
Old March 14, 2018, 13:26   #357
stimpsonjcat
I wasn't talking to you
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotengu View Post
6" plates.
...at 25 yards...weak hand.

That's only 2 moa larger (width) than the end target and you only get one hand.

Last edited by stimpsonjcat; March 14, 2018 at 13:40.
Old March 14, 2018, 15:22   #358
Nuttz
Semper Fidelis
Contributor

FALaholic #: 69873
Nice!!! Glad I am carrying five 22rd magazines for pistol!
Old March 14, 2018, 17:54   #359
kotengu
Registered

Quote:
...at 25 yards...weak hand.

That's only 2 moa larger (width) than the end target and you only get one hand.
No. You're doing the 5k, so your Stage 5 is Magpul's Fight To Your Rifle. Pistol targets will be 10-15 yds, and rifle plate rack will be 50yds.

The pistol targets on the 10k Stage 5 (Shooter's Choice) will be at 10-15 yds as well, excpet for the very last 50yd target you can hit with pistol OR rifle.
Old March 14, 2018, 19:04   #360
Nuttz
Semper Fidelis
Contributor

5k Elrond? WTF?
Old March 14, 2018, 22:49   #361
stimpsonjcat
I wasn't talking to you
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuttz View Post
5k Elrond? WTF?
Is this for me? I get confused.

Last edited by stimpsonjcat; March 14, 2018 at 22:58.
Old March 15, 2018, 05:53   #362
Nuttz
Semper Fidelis
Contributor

LOTR doesn’t have a “Floki”, so yes!
Old March 15, 2018, 09:20   #363
stimpsonjcat
I wasn't talking to you
Silver Contributor

Quote:
LOTR doesn’t have a “Floki”, so yes!
Floki is a commie in the show now.

And the historical one is a cross-dresser and worse.

I'll stick with Elrond, and yes, Elrond is running the 5k.

Old March 15, 2018, 10:26   #364
Nuttz
Semper Fidelis
Contributor

Quote:
Floki is a commie in the show now.

And the historical one is a cross-dresser and worse.

I'll stick with Elrond, and yes, Elrond is running the 5k.
Roger that! You doing the 10k for your Match in two weeks?
Old March 15, 2018, 18:20   #365
kotengu
Registered

Quote:
Roger that! You doing the 10k for your Match in two weeks?
There is only a 5k at his match in two weeks. And WTF are you?!?
Old March 15, 2018, 19:28   #366
beseventeen
history of bad ideas
Contributor
Gold Contributor

Safe travels to all of y'all en route!! See you tomorrow, can't believe it's here. Funny how things change over a year...this time last year I'd never even knew RnG's existed. I stumbled onto Matt's Rockcastle thread here and was like, holy heck, that sounds awesome!! But it was too late to do anything. And here we are a quick year later and I'm finally about to give it a shot!!

SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEE THERE WILL BE NO SLEEP TONIGHT!!!

via GIPHY

Old March 15, 2018, 20:47   #367
Nuttz
Semper Fidelis
Contributor

Quote:
There is only a 5k at his match in two weeks. And WTF are you?!?
Well that changes things. And me and TexGunDawg are 35min out (arriving around 9:30) since he picked me up in Little Rock!
Old March 15, 2018, 21:46   #368
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

FALaholic #: 12090
Good luck everybody and shoot well. We'll see some of you in two weeks in Georgia.

Forecast for Match Day:

DAY
64°HI
RealFeel® 68°
Precipitation 20%
Mostly sunny

Schools uses to start with the "three R's". Reading, writing, and arithmetic. Now they start with the "three D's". Dipshitery, Dumbassery, and Douchebaggery-Retired Bum

If you do in fact have a problem, you have the rest of your life to solve it. How long your life lasts only depends on how well you solve it.
tac-40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2018, 11:54   #369
ElTigre
Registered

FALaholic #: 79507
So I thought I'd do an AAR since I haven't ever done one with one of these before.

To start off, I carried 3 rifles, a RPR, a Mossberg 464SPX and a custom built AR10. The AR10 was thoroughly untested which I can elaborate on later. I also carried 4 pistols: a Glock 29, Taurus Judge, Yugo M57 Tokarev, and a Walther PPQ with a red dot on top of it. I carried a total of 150 rifle rounds and about 200 pistol rounds. All of this was carried in an Eberlestock Operator pack, and I also used a Gadsden Dynamics Wasp Rig (chest rig). All the pistols were carried in their own custom Kydex hosters made by Valor Defense. I also decided to take Delta(my service dog) along on the trip.

So I got a little later than I had hoped. I meant to step off at the same time as Matt, but was delayed by a bathroom break for Delta. But we stepped off promptly at 8:07. I started off carrying 125 pounds of gear. The pack felt good and balanced, and I was comfortable. Got out of the parking lot and turned right headed down the hill. First issue popped up when I turned off the road into Doe Valley. A rock turned under my foot, I rolled my ankle, and naturally when you're carrying that much weight, down you go. I rolled about 5 yards before coming.ing to a stop. Interesting note, my GPS registered that as a 5:20 mile pace. Fastest I went all day! Moving on, I tied Delta to a tree and proceeded to the obstacles before stage 1. Learning from last year, I dropped the pack and drug it along behind me under the barbwire. Did this set reasonably smoothly. Pick up the pack and move carry it(without putting it on) through the mud pits Nd over to the tube. I tied off my pack using the rope with the kettlebell and climbed over it. Then, I pulled the pack and kettlebell up behind me. Untie the pack, drop the kettlebell back down the tube and reset myself. Tubes went MUCH easier this year than last. On to stage 1!

I actually pulled my AR10 for this stage with the higher round count. Tossed the grenade and missed. As soon as I hear Engage! I keep I had just screwed myself but hey, that's why I'm running a semi auto.right? Get back up, load the gun, sight in, pull the trigger and CLICK! As Stimp says, that's the loudest sound in the world. Rack another round in, pull the trigger, CLICK! This one is stuck in the chamber, so it needs pogoed out. Try it one more.time and you guessed it, click. Drop my mag, shout a couple expletives at Eugene Stoner, throw the AR10 to the dirt and pull my RPR from the pack. Ask Jordan Carson about this sometime, he tells a neat story. Since it uses the same.mags and ammo as the AR10, I pick up my mag from.the barrel, work the bolt and start going to work. I cleared the 3 guys around the campfire, but I struggled on the plate rack. That left hand shooting is weird with a bolt gun. Left two plates standing on the left side and cleared the right. Timed out just after that. Pack all.my crap back up and get resituated. Grab Delta and start heading out.
That hill sucks. It sucks really really badly. I took about 10 minutes to get up the hill. Once I'm up though, the road levels out and I'm cruising along feeling pretty good. Get down to Cowboy town, tie Delta off and try to figure out this over under. Turns out it's not too bad, just can't wear your pack. Slide it under, slide under yourself. Pick it up and drop it over the over obstacle, go over yourself. Rinse and repeat. Get through that and I have just enough time to get my stuff ready and pack back on for stage 2.

Being in cowboy town, I decided that the Mossberg was the appropriate tool for this stage. As soon as the beep goes off, I load 3 rounds into it and start moving. First two rounds, click. The thought runs through my head that perhaps I'm gonna carry two rifles that don't fire. Third round goes bang and I single load the rest of the stage. The VTAC gave me fits with the red dot. I only cleared 3 of the 100 yard shots. Picked up the two failed rounds, light primer strikes. They go back in the bag and will be sorted out later.

Out the back of cowboy town I'm still feeling relatively smooth as far as the hiking goes. Stop for a short water break for me and the dog at the top of the hill and continue to the cave.

Get down to the cave, I pull the judge out of the pack and carry the Tokarev as a backup if the judge fails. I have it loaded with 5 Hornady Critical defense loads, which is a .41 caliber slug followed by two .35 caliber round balls. Cleared it with Matt before hand, that's a .40 and two 9mm, so one trigger pull per target. I get down in the cave and after a short wait period, get rolling. Move to the first shoot box, pull the trigger, bang! hallelujah that something works! I start to.move on and the RO says, you need 3 hits on that target. I tell.him to.check it. 3 holes. I moved through the stage fairly quickly, good enough for a top 10 finish on the stage in my class. Apparently I was more tired than I thought, cuz I completely missed a target. Walked right past it and the shooting box and never saw them. The booby traps were a nice touch as well, and I managed to avoid those.

Out of the cave I can tell I'm starting to lag a little. Get to.the top.of the hill, grab the dog and move out. The part of the course is one of my favorite parts, it's "relatively level" and is just a pretty part of the property. Right before we get to the clubhouse I stop and take a little.break again. Delta gets water and I down a Gatorade. Head to stage 4.

Stage 4s obstacle was the slackline. I brought a carabiner, turns out it wasn't big enough. So it takes me about 15 minutes to get my pack on the line and tied off to myself. Try the line under it, nope, too gassed for that. So.i manage to get myself on top of the line(which was higher than advertised, but hey, better harder than easier) and start moving across. I get about 3/4 of the way across and fall. Shit. Back to the start, get back.up on the line. By this point I'm shot. I actually rest my head on the line at one point and the RO states, "Don't fall asleep up there." Finish the line and sort out what I'm.gonna do for stage 4. Decide the RPR is the way to go here. Grab he mags, put my pack back on, and let's get started.

Stage 4 starts off REALLY well. Go 1,2,3 on the first set of target off the rock. Put three in the paper while.moving. 1,2,3 off the tank trap and again 3 quick ones at paper on the move. 1,2 off the sticks comes quick but I need to shift to see the 300 yard target. Apparently when I shifted, I rested my barrel on the sticks instead of the handguard. I put 4 consecutive misses at that last target before I timed out. Checking it through the scope, I had one I assume was high and the other three were about 6 inches to the left of the target, all within an inch of each other.

Grab my pack, bullshit with Matt a minute while I take a break and move over to the stage 5 obstacle, more barbed wire. This one seems lower than the others, but hey, we can try it. Get the pack off and slide under. Yep WAY lower. Oh well, I'll.figure it out. Ended up having to backtrack a little and pushing the wire up in a few spots but I got through. Get up and get the pack on, move to the stage.

Stage 5 I shot with the Glock 29. I figured the optional rifle could be the 30/30. I roll through this stage really well. I was super pleased with my performance. A couple misses on each set of targets. Get to the 50 yard shot and go for my rifle. Rusty says "Try it with your pistol." Shrug, alright. Line up the sights, squeeze the trigger. Ding! Hit. Well that's cool. Let's try it again. No such luck though. After about 5 misses, I pull the lever gun, load a single.round and finish the stage. Head on out and grab the dog, heading for stage 6.

Get across the golf course(with a few mean looks from golfers) and get to the bottom of the next hill. This sounds like a fantastic time to get a little water. A few minutes later and we're trudging up the hill. That hill was LONG. And it was steep, then ok. Then steep again. Needless to say, it sucked. Get to the top of the hill, and move to the A Frames. This year the A Frames went much better than last. Probably just because they were easier than the wall at the last RnG I went to. Moving to stage 6.

I go into this stage over confident. A rifle stage with 6 hits? Pssh piece of cake. Welp, I blew this one too. I couldn't make my hits from the standing. Finally got those two knocked down and moved to the kneeling. Hit one and timed out. Well **** it all. The RO was kind enough to let me take a shot at 300, which was a first round hit. Made me feel less like a piece of crap. Alrighty, home stretch. Grab the dog and move towards stage 7. At this point my whole body hurts but I'm starting to move faster cuz I know I'm almost done.

Before I get to the stage, the obstacle here was a gear drag(noticing a theme) and then one shot with a provided ACR with a suppressor. Cool. Smoke that obstacle(I was allowed to take my pack off). Throw the pack back on and move to the last stage. Figured I'd run the Glock again, lever for the rifle.

Take my seat on the Group W Bench and get the go command. Take my shots and it takes me a few to get on target. Get rolling and am feeling good. Knock down the activation popper and I see my slide lock back. Well shit. The drop turn has disappeared before I even get my mag changed. Second position goes well, with me running it clean. Get over to the rifle, load up a few rounds and take aim. Gonna single load after the first 4. The zero has apparently been knocked off at some point (this was confirmed the next day) so I'm missing targets. Bracket them out and manage to knock 2 down before timing out. Oh well. Grab the dog and do the final "dash" to the lodge which for me is more.like a shuffle. Finish time was a hair over 5 hours and finish weight was ,107 pounds carried. I figured I lost about 12 pounds of ammo and water to the dog, and I actually lost about 6 pounds on the hike.

Overall I was pleased with my movement and pistol performance. My rifle performance sucked and I made a few mental errors. The CoF was probably the best I've seen at a RnG so far with plenty of areas to excel and chances to fail. It gave me a lot of areas to work on for sure. Also, I'm glad that this is my last time as a true "mule", and I couldn't have pictured a better way to finish it out.
ElTigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2018, 15:17   #370
kotengu
Registered

Awesome AAR, sir! I completely forgot about the Judge thing or I would have warned the cave trolls - sorry. You are going to feel like you are flying at your next match without a hundred+ pounds on your back. Enjoy it, and embrace it. You've earned it!
Old March 19, 2018, 16:27   #371
stimpsonjcat
I wasn't talking to you
Silver Contributor

I am home, but as luck would have it upon bringing in my gear I discover we are having some septic issues. I guess the girls didn't spend much time downstairs this weekend and didn't notice. Not out of hand yet and easy to clean up. Better than a skunked dag!

So glad this reared it's ugly head THIS week and not two weeks from now.

I just got the sd out of the contourPRO though, and it stopped recording after I left the cave...no idea why.

I'll whittle it down to just the fun parts and post that later.

Old March 19, 2018, 18:46   #372
kotengu
Registered

Everyone:

I am physically ill over this and I cannot express to you how sorry I am, but I found a fairly major error in the scores this afternoon. The short explanation is that my spreadsheet that calculates net run time did not take into account the wait times on Stage 6 and 7. This was 100% my error and the lovely ladies helping me do the scoring were not at fault at all.

While I was correcting this error I also improved the accuracy of the net run time calculations to include partial minutes instead of rounding off to the nearest whole minute. Some of the scores were close enough that this mattered.

Unfortunately, this changes three of the trophies I handed out yesterday. Logan Dudley was the true 1st Place Race Class winner and Greg Reynolds should have been
2nd Place Race Class. Trevor Saunders was the true 1st Place Combat Class.

Logan, Greg, and Trevor - I'll have new trophy glasses made and ship them to you if you'll email me your addresses.

Bryan Ray, Logan, and Greg - please keep the trophy glasses I already gave in error with my sincere apologies for the mistake.

Top Grunt and Top Amazon results did not change. 5k Results did not change.

Again, I can't express how sorry I am for this mistake and will do my best to be sure it (and the faulty scale SNAFU) never happens again. Please do look over your scores and don't hesitate to let me know if anything else doesn't look right. "Stage 8" in Practiscore is your net run time in minutes (NOT "seconds" like it says). The other stages should be fairly self-explanatory.

5k Results are here: https://practiscore.com/results/new/52965

10k Results are here: https://practiscore.com/results/new/53116

I think I'd rather have septic issues...
Old March 19, 2018, 19:14   #373
kotengu
Registered

Enough bad news. Here are the 15k results. My ROs are highlighted in yellow because they deserve special recognition. They had to run the 10k and then only had 15 minutes to reload and regear before running the 5k. Everyone else got a couple meals, a shower, and a full night's rest before doing it again.

The people highlighted in green ran Combat Class, but in the 15k challenge there was no class provision so they had to go head to head against the Race Class folks but with 25%+ of their bodyweight on their backs.

But every single one of you are badasses to the extreme.

Last edited by kotengu; March 19, 2018 at 19:36.
kotengu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2018, 19:45   #374
kotengu
Registered

Here's one of the coolest match videos I've seen yet:

Old March 19, 2018, 22:44   #375
stimpsonjcat
I wasn't talking to you
Silver Contributor

Watch this space...

...I won't, I'm going to bed!

Today was the longest prolonged amount of rain I ever drove in, as well as the hardest. I swear I was scanning the dash for a attitude indicator more than once.

Best one yet, Matt!

Old March 20, 2018, 00:13   #376
Bama Steve
Registered

FALaholic #: 1982
All of you are awesome and inspirational!

Well-done!!
Old March 20, 2018, 06:40   #377
TedKennedy
Registered

Quote:
Everyone:

I am physically ill over this and I cannot express to you how sorry I am, but I found a fairly major error in the scores this afternoon. The short explanation is that my spreadsheet that calculates net run time did not take into account the wait times on Stage 6 and 7. This was 100% my error and the lovely ladies helping me do the scoring were not at fault at all.

While I was correcting this error I also improved the accuracy of the net run time calculations to include partial minutes instead of rounding off to the nearest whole minute. Some of the scores were close enough that this mattered.

Unfortunately, this changes three of the trophies I handed out yesterday. Logan Dudley was the true 1st Place Race Class winner and Greg Reynolds should have been
2nd Place Race Class. Trevor Saunders was the true 1st Place Combat Class.

Logan, Greg, and Trevor - I'll have new trophy glasses made and ship them to you if you'll email me your addresses.

Bryan Ray, Logan, and Greg - please keep the trophy glasses I already gave in error with my sincere apologies for the mistake.

Top Grunt and Top Amazon results did not change. 5k Results did not change.

Again, I can't express how sorry I am for this mistake and will do my best to be sure it (and the faulty scale SNAFU) never happens again. Please do look over your scores and don't hesitate to let me know if anything else doesn't look right. "Stage 8" in Practiscore is your net run time in minutes (NOT "seconds" like it says). The other stages should be fairly self-explanatory.

5k Results are here: https://practiscore.com/results/new/52965

10k Results are here: https://practiscore.com/results/new/53116

I think I'd rather have septic issues...
I know you feel like crap about this, but you're not the first one to have this happen - same issue in Pecos about four years ago. It ain't the Olympics, brother, and I guarantee everyone sees how much you do, and how hard you work to have things as squared-away as a RNG can be.
Old March 20, 2018, 08:49   #378
Nuttz
Semper Fidelis
Contributor

Quote:
Watch this space...

...I won't, I'm going to bed!

Today was the longest prolonged amount of rain I ever drove in, as well as the hardest. I swear I was scanning the dash for a attitude indicator more than once.

Best one yet, Matt!
AWESOME!!!!
Old March 20, 2018, 08:58   #379
kotengu
Registered

Great vid, Stimp! "Follow the yellow brick road"

Pictures are up! Feel free to use these however you wish, but please give a photo credit to my wife, Lisa Stennett, as the photographer when you do. ESPECIALLY if you use them for commercial reasons.

More to come -

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lisastennett/albums
Old March 20, 2018, 10:00   #380
ElTigre
Registered

Awesome pics as usual!
Old March 20, 2018, 10:57   #381
TxGunDawg
Registered

FALaholic #: 58435
Great pictures.

My wife appreciates it.

Is Lisa going to photograph Stimpys match?
TxGunDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 20, 2018, 12:13   #382
kotengu
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxGunDawg View Post

Is Lisa going to photograph Stimpys match?
Not sure yet. She wants to come, but we've got to work out a few details first.
Old March 20, 2018, 12:13   #383
kotengu
Registered

I had many people wanting to see how they did against people their own age, so I collected VOLUNTARY age data during registration and tried to think of a way to present it that would make sense.

There are two problems with this data: 18 out of the 81 people that ran did not give me their age so I left them out, and Combat Class is thrown together with Race Class in this data. But knowing all that - here's what I came up with. Knowing your own age and times/scores you should be able to figure out where you fell in this range.

Here's the 5k data summary. 10k is in the works.

Last edited by kotengu; March 20, 2018 at 12:51.
kotengu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 20, 2018, 12:43   #384
TedKennedy
Registered

Quote:
Not sure yet. She wants to come, but we've got to work out a few details first.
Don't push her too hard. She needs to be enthusiastic when y'all come to Pawnee this July....
Old March 20, 2018, 12:59   #385
Invictus77
1C 16:13
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Steve View Post
All of you are awesome and inspirational!

Well-done!!
^^^THIS^^^

Old March 20, 2018, 13:04   #386
stimpsonjcat
I wasn't talking to you
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Great vid, Stimp! "Follow the yellow brick road"
Sugar was still about 70 at that point, I might have been a tad punchy.

Old March 20, 2018, 13:31   #387
kotengu
Registered

Here's the 10k age data with the same caveats: only 55 out of the 72 competitors gave me their ages (so the others are left out of this data) and Combat Class and Race Class are mixed together.

Old March 20, 2018, 17:41   #388
kotengu
Registered

I saw several of you frustrated on the course because you did not finish (DNF) a course of fire before your time was up. Here's some data to put that in perspective - you were not alone! I know it hurts to not finish, but from looking at these numbers I think the difficulty level was about right this year.

Even better - we had a very similar VTAC stage (but actually easier) last March and 62% of the people could not finish it. The Rifleman stage was almost identical with the exception of more visible targets this year (and MUCH better weather!). Last year we had 56% of people DNF that stage. No matter which way you cut it, we are seeing a HUGE improvement in both shooters and runners year over year.

Old March 20, 2018, 20:24   #389
Nuttz
Semper Fidelis
Contributor

Nuttz AAR Video:

Link if embedded video does not work in your browser: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5fzS4r7d2Q
Old March 20, 2018, 20:45   #390
ElTigre
Registered

Looking forward to the video.... tomorrow
Old March 20, 2018, 21:25   #391
kotengu
Registered

Quote:
Nuttz AAR Video:
Awesome video! I'm crying over that slackline. That stupid strap brought more comedy gold, pain, frustration, and finally joy and pride than I ever would have dreamed. WTF am I going to do next year to live up to that???
Old March 20, 2018, 21:53   #392
Bama Steve
Registered

FALaholic #: 1982
Quote:
Awesome video! I'm crying over that slackline. That stupid strap brought more comedy gold, pain, frustration, and finally joy and pride than I ever would have dreamed. WTF am I going to do next year to live up to that???
50' Rope swing over a deep mud-hole with all gear-on.

Old March 20, 2018, 21:54   #393
beseventeen
history of bad ideas
Contributor
Gold Contributor

lol. Jimmy RO'ing that stage, and "his" log. Louis knows what I'm talking about.

This is my log. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

My log is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.

Without me, my log is useless. Without my log, I am useless. I must fire my log true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I will…

My log and I know that what counts in war is not the rounds we fire, the noise of our burst, nor the smoke we make. We know that it is the hits that count. We will hit…

My log is human, even as I, because it is my life. Thus, I will learn it as a brother. I will learn its weaknesses, its strength, its parts, its accessories, its sights and its barrel. I will keep my log clean and ready, even as I am clean and ready. We will become part of each other. We will…

Before God, I swear this creed. My log and I are the defenders of my country. We are the masters of our enemy. We are the saviors of my life.
So be it, until victory is America's and there is no enemy, but peace!
Old March 21, 2018, 09:35   #394
stimpsonjcat
I wasn't talking to you
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by beseventeen View Post
lol. Jimmy RO'ing that stage, and "his" log. Louis knows what I'm talking about.

This is my log. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

My log is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.

Without me, my log is useless. Without my log, I am useless. I must fire my log true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I will…

My log and I know that what counts in war is not the rounds we fire, the noise of our burst, nor the smoke we make. We know that it is the hits that count. We will hit…

My log is human, even as I, because it is my life. Thus, I will learn it as a brother. I will learn its weaknesses, its strength, its parts, its accessories, its sights and its barrel. I will keep my log clean and ready, even as I am clean and ready. We will become part of each other. We will…

Before God, I swear this creed. My log and I are the defenders of my country. We are the masters of our enemy. We are the saviors of my life.
So be it, until victory is America's and there is no enemy, but peace!
I made a log joke there also, but accidentally cut from video...

"What rolls down stairs
alone or in pairs,
rolls over your neighbor's dog?
What's great for a snack,
And fits on your back?
It's log, log, log

It's log, log,
It's big, it's heavy, it's wood.
It's log, log, it's better than bad, it's good."

Old March 21, 2018, 10:00   #395
Bryan 45
Registered

FALaholic #: 17465
As for my AAR- holy shit. Tough course. I ran "Combat Class" which required the competitor to complete the race carrying 25%+ of their body weight. I stepped off the start line at 230 pounds, finished at 218 pounds, for 28% of body weight. Came in 2nd in combat class behind a guy who is in much better physical condition than myself, and out shot me on 4 stages too.

The running can be summed up by saying if it wasn't downhill, it was uphill. There were a few flat spots here and there, but for the most part it was elevation changes.

The obstacles made everything, including gear management, just a little harder. Low crawls under barb wire forced me to drop pack and drag it. Slack line was cussed by every competitor. Even something as simple as the A-frame climb was tough considering it was about 7K into the race and I was carrying 45 pounds of gear.

The shooting stages were not complex or complicated, but they were all a great test of marksmanship. Weak hand pistol is considerably more difficult when your heart is beating so hard it feels like it's coming out of your chest.

And since this is a gear thread- I'll cover mine briefly. I used the same Tactical Tailor chest rig that has accompanied me on 4 other run and guns now. I still love the thing. But, the position shooting with rifle made me realize I need to practice shooting more in it. Belt was the Volund Micro I got right before the last match. Love the belt too- stiffness is just like Goldilock's porridge- not too stiff, not to limp, just right. Only issue I had regarding the belt was wearing my pack too low- where the pack pressed against the belt and my dump pouch, I have a sore spot. This is as much a dump pouch location problem as anything, but I don't have anywhere else to mount the dump pouch. I lost a glove along the way too- I need to get a small carabiner to mount on my belt to keep up with my shit.

Matt- I think it bears repeating in public, excellent event all the way around.

Photos by Lisa Stennett-

Bryan 45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2018, 14:22   #396
beseventeen
history of bad ideas
Contributor
Gold Contributor

Bryan you're way too clean and photogenic in those pics. The slackline one looks posed for some Men's Outdoors magazine

Great shooting and performance!! I'm going to look into that chest right you have. I was looking into TT anyway for some updated gear for sniper matches.
Old March 21, 2018, 15:00   #397
stimpsonjcat
I wasn't talking to you
Silver Contributor

I also use TT chest rig.

Old March 21, 2018, 19:53   #398
kotengu
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan 45 View Post
Lisa said several times that she thought people were glaring at her which she took to mean "don't take my picture!". I told her that it probably meant "I'm f%$king exhausted and I can't see straight". From the beginning I asked her to capture both the triumph of victory and the agony of defeat as - but it's tough out there when someone is really struggling to get in their face and have them know you're documenting it. The longer lens helped with some of that. She also has trouble telling all of us guys who dress and look the same apart out on the course, so she says "you know, that guy - with the guns and camo".

This was one of those pics. When she showed me and I saw it was you I laughed out loud. I'm pretty sure "get that damn camera out of my face" was the last thing in your head right now. Do you remember what you were thinking here by any chance just for fun?
Old March 21, 2018, 19:54   #399
kotengu
Registered

Since so many people had trouble with the slackline I asked the two time Combat Class winner this weekend to demonstrate his technique for getting him and his 50lbs of gear across the 40' span. There are several different ways to do this based on your own personal strengths and exactly what you're carrying, but this one worked very well.

Old March 21, 2018, 19:58   #400
beseventeen
history of bad ideas
Contributor
Gold Contributor

Finally (sort of) getting caught up at work and at home. Just in time to take off next weekend for Bruce's match

RC was a blast. Like I told Matt, I totally loved the two day format. RNGs are usually travel, sleep, run, sleep, travel and it goes by in such a blur. This still went by super fast (as most fun things do) but at least it lingered a little longer!!

I decided to do combat class. I ran a boring AR (people were crushed that I didn't bring something cool and it made me feel awful) and my trusty XDM 9mm. To make weight I carried a ton of ammo and also cut a bunch of magazine-shaped 1/4" steel plates to carry in an additional mag pouch on my back.

I weigh between 125-130lbs depending on sushi and beer intake for the week. I took off with about 43 lbs each day, intending to shed about 6lbs in ammo/etc and leave a little buffer there just in case.

The 5k went okay for me. I really did not push the run like I should have. I was a little demoralized by the first hill after stage one and I think I beat myself up about the physical shape I was in. Plus I always feel crappy the first .5-1 mile.

My shooting was decent on day one. It was about an average effort for me. No major brain farts or malfunctions but wasn't setting the world on fire either. I passed the rifle VtAC with time to spare, but I did really get tripped up by the bottom ports. Had a hard time seeing what was going on shooting like that.

Cave stage was tricky! The targets were hard to see. For a couple I leaned across to brace on the wall and just shot one handed.

Long range went decent for me. I tried to shoot from kneeling first and should have just dropped to sitting which ate up some time.

The last pistol stage that Al/Daniel/Tiger were on went horrible for me. It took me forever to clean it on pistol (this should have been a hint...). Luckily made quick work of the plate rack with rifle to make up some time, but I was a little rattled by my crap performance.

5k Results - 1st in Ladies, 2/18 in Combat, 10/81 Overall. I vowed to come back harder for Sunday. I had plenty left in the tank when I came back and regretted not pushing harder. It's always a mental block for me because I am kind of a lazy runner.

----------

Sunday....Sunday did not go so well, it was a fight the whole day. Running wise I felt better, because I'm more of an endurance person than a sprinter anyway. But I was disappointed to make the same mistakes shooting wise as I did the first day. It was a big advantage to have already shot 5 of the stages but eh, I don't know. I just did not see the improvement I was hoping for.

Things really started going downhill (and not the good kind) after the cave stage. I shot that stage incredibly slow and deliberate so I wouldn't have any misses. They called one FTN and I was kind of shocked...I figured, oh well, I literally did the best I could and it is what it is.

I got to the slack line and was a little worried. I'd done it with a rope before but was unable to get on top of the trailer strap I practiced on with all of my gear. I kept getting bucked off of it when I jumped. I ended up shimmying up the tree and getting on that way, which worked. I was super tired by then and really underestimated how hard it was with all that gear too. I made it across, but it took forever!

I was excited to get to the stage 4 10k because long range is usually my thing. Made the first shots on the rock ok. Went over to the jack thingy and could not make the 300 yard hits...uhhh. My rifle is really light and has a pencil barrel. It does fine for the first 5-7 shots but I'm finding out that it does not like to stretch past 200 when it gets warmed up. So the more I missed at 300 the worse it was. I left those and moved to the last station (logs, prone). On top of missing the 300's AGAIN I also had three failure to feeds that I had to drop the mag/tap/rack/etc. I left that stage with my tail between my legs.

Got under the barbed wire crawl and tangled my hair, LOL. I got my hair cut today and my stylist goes, "you know you are missing a chunk back here?" ahahahahahaha. I said I left it in KY.

I met Rusty and started to shoot. It was taking....a really long time for those strong and weak hand targets to come down. I was a little demoralized because I practiced that a LOT. And dry fired and dry fired and dry fired until I was sick of it. I could not figure it out. Things went further south at the pistol VTAC board when I DNF'd after one shot.

What in the absolute @#$(&!??? I mean I'm not a pistol slayer but nothing there was out of my realm. I left four pieces of steel up, three of which I could throw a rock and freaking hit.

I was really, really discouraged at this point. I am not a particularly emotional person. I cry about once a year in the shower when no one is around. And let me tell you folks...I was damn near on the verge of tears of this ensuing shit show. We all put so much time and training into this and I could just feel my standings slipping away right through my fingers.

Three things saved me from this point on.

1. As I was adjusting my rifle for the run back I saw the bible verse I have written on the stock which was a strong reminder of not getting overwhelmed (joshua 1:9)

2. On the way to KY I listened to the book Chasing Excellence, which I would HIGHLY recommend to other RNG'ers. It very much stresses that after you spend a few mins analyzing a bad performance, you have to leave it there and move on before it ruins the rest of your day.

(the third thing comes later)

At this point I decided it was time to stop being a little bitch and move on. I retied my hair bow and took off. I did have some nice fire running up that hill being as mad as I was.

So then 3). I get to the long range stage. I told Louis I needed a hug because I was having a bad day He obliges and it seals the deal, I'm done worrying about what happened.

Then I shot my best stage of the weekend and had a stage win out of 72 people. This undoubtedly saved me from falling too far down the ranks.

I trot down to the last pistol stage that I flopped the day before. I sit down and very. deliberately. start shooting. NOTHING. Ok, what the heck. On the clock I drop the mag/clear the pistol and start inspecting it, and find that my rear site is broken....it's completely loose, oh and has shifted about 1/8" to the right. FFS. Reload, hold 4" left of everything I want to hit and clean that stage.

I finished the final run back to the lodge. I was still annoyed at the equipment failure, but I definitely felt better to know it wasn't all me!!

10k Results - 1st in Ladies, 4/24 in Combat, 20/72 Overall.

15k Results - 2/6 in Combat, 7/24 Overall.

So, I dunno. I wasn't thrilled about how I performed but it can't always be our day. As always, I had SUCH a great time seeing all of my FALfiles BFFs. Matt put on an incredible match. I know it's a ton of work to put together something of that magnitude and I'm super appreciative. Here's some pics.

Obviously if you don't paint your nails you ain't nothin'... in honor of St Paddys Day!!

Ow, my knees afterwards

The awesome pics are courtesy of Matt's wife Lisa Stennett, the crappy pics are mine

And the video of my suffering over the slack line is courtesy of TxGunDawg