Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > Curios & Relics

Notices

Old March 10, 2018, 15:38   #1
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 4653
Finn family portraits

I finally got all my Finn Mosin rifles together for a few photos. All of the M39s were bought from Pat Burns of Gunsnammo.com. When I started dealing with her, all of the rifles came with a sling. By the time I bought the fourth one that was no longer the deal. I emailed Pat and asked that since I was a pretty good customer, couldn't she throw in a sling "for old times sake". She replied that she would take care of it. When the rifle arrived, I noticed that the shipping charges had been increased by $5. She sent a sling, but still managed to get something for it. It's hard to get ahead of a shrewd old Yankee businesswoman!

From left to right (or top to bottom)

1934 Tikka M27. I bought this from a man on Gunboards. I had had it for a while before I realized that he had misrepresented the rifle a bit. Still, it's a good shooter and looks okay I guess.

1942 VKT M39, SA marked with the "D" chamber. One interesting note about it; someone (perhaps a soldier?) has rubbed the shape of a cross through the bluing, on both sides of the barrel, just behind the front sights.

1943 SakoM39, Sk.Y and SA marked.

1944 Sako M39, also SA marked.

1970 "no maker" M39. The was the first rifle I bought from Pat Burns. It is built on a 1895 receiver and thus an antique. It was basically a brand new rifle otherwise.

I do believe the M39s are my favorite mil-surp bolt rifles. There is just something so robust and solid about them, not to mention their interesting history. Holding one, you get a real sense that this is a "man's" rifle with no elegant frills but one designed for the hard work of war. But, that's just me...
Old March 10, 2018, 18:00   #2
tigerfans2
Registered

FALaholic #: 5284
Great family portrait, love my M39's
tigerfans2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2018, 19:58   #3
RG Coburn
Registered

FALaholic #: 27406
I like mine. First time I held one,it was amazing how balanced it felt. I like them better than any other milsurp boltgun.
RG Coburn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2018, 20:30   #4
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfans2 View Post
Great family portrait, love my M39's
Thanks, they're great rifles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG Coburn View Post
I like mine. First time I held one,it was amazing how balanced it felt. I like them better than any other milsurp boltgun.
Me too. When I bought that first one, I had never had one in my hands before then. My son and I unboxed it and he said, "damn, that's a long gun!". But when we each held it, we agreed that it sure felt great.
Old March 11, 2018, 09:03   #5
Blackmore
> Dirt
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 2690
"It's hard to get ahead of a shrewd old Yankee businesswoman!"

Keeping the record straight, for those of us born in New England, New Yahkers AREN'T Yankees.

"1934 Tikka M27. I bought this from a man on Gunboards. I had had it for a while before I realized that he had misrepresented the rifle a bit. Still, it's a good shooter and looks okay I guess."

I can probably take care of it for you if it's a problem.
Old March 11, 2018, 09:10   #6
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackmore View Post
"It's hard to get ahead of a shrewd old Yankee businesswoman!"

Keeping the record straight, for those of us born in New England, New Yahkers AREN'T Yankees.

Thanks for the clarification. You do understand that for Texans, anyone from north of the Red River is called a "Yankee"?

"1934 Tikka M27. I bought this from a man on Gunboards. I had had it for a while before I realized that he had misrepresented the rifle a bit. Still, it's a good shooter and looks okay I guess."

I can probably take care of it for you if it's a problem.

I'll keep that in mind.
Thanks for taking a look too!

Last edited by Texgunner; March 11, 2018 at 12:02.
Texgunner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 11, 2018, 11:51   #7
K. Funk
Real Life Metallurgist
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 38
I had the pleasure of helping a gentleman sell off some of his Finns. He had some really nice and rare stuff. I love the M27's and M28's.

krf

You never know what's going on inside the mind of a crazy man!!

Check out username kandainv on Gunbroker; always some neat stuff!!
FYB!!!!
K. Funk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 11, 2018, 15:41   #8
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by K. Funk View Post
I had the pleasure of helping a gentleman sell off some of his Finns. He had some really nice and rare stuff. I love the M27's and M28's.

krf
I'd like a M28 for the collection but I just don't shoot these enough lately to justify the money for another one at the moment. Now, if I were still working, I could probably rationalize that pretty quick! Thanks for the reply Mr. Funk!
Old March 11, 2018, 15:52   #9
VALMET
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 1826
The M-39 is the finest incarnation of the Mosin-Nagant IMO. Lucky enough to own a few...would love to find a bayonet for one.

"Dammit Smithers this is brain surgery, not rocket science!" -C. Montgomery Burns
VALMET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11, 2018, 17:22   #10
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by VALMET View Post
The M-39 is the finest incarnation of the Mosin-Nagant IMO. Lucky enough to own a few...would love to find a bayonet for one.
I agree. Yeah, a bayonet would be cool. Been a while since I've seen one for sale though; it was pricey if I remember right. Maybe thinking about a K31 bayonet though...don't have one of those either.

Thanks for looking in!

Last edited by Texgunner; March 11, 2018 at 18:38. Reason: damned autofill!
Texgunner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2018, 11:18   #11
TedKennedy
Registered

FALaholic #: 77344
Very nice, Tex! I'm lucky enough to have one I dang near stole about 20 years ago - a 1943 model, Sako barrel.

And Okies are a long damn way from being Yankees.
TedKennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2018, 14:05   #12
Blackmore
> Dirt
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 2690
" Thanks for the clarification. You do understand that for Texans, anyone from north of the Red River is called a "Yankee"?"

Yes, I seem to remember hearing that once or twice from my brother who lives in Grapevine. He's not a native Texan though. He fell in love with your state when he was in the service. At least he was born south of the Mason-Dixon line (Richmond).
Old March 13, 2018, 13:14   #13
hansellhd
Registered

FALaholic #: 31152
Impressive collection Tex, thanks for brining them out.
Old March 13, 2018, 16:31   #14
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedKennedy View Post
Very nice, Tex! I'm lucky enough to have one I dang near stole about 20 years ago - a 1943 model, Sako barrel.

And Okies are a long damn way from being Yankees.
Yeah, I know. Maybe I should've said Kansas.

Thanks Ted, they are cool old rifles aren't they?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackmore View Post

Yes, I seem to remember hearing that once or twice from my brother who lives in Grapevine. He's not a native Texan though. He fell in love with your state when he was in the service. At least he was born south of the Mason-Dixon line (Richmond).
Newcomers to Texas often pick up that Texas vibe soon after arriving. Bumper stickers say, "I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as fast as I could!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansellhd View Post
Impressive collection Tex, thanks for brining them out.
Thanks HDH! Coming from you, high praise indeed!
And you're welcome too of course.
Old March 17, 2018, 08:59   #15
Bones2586
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 76766
Very nice family, thanks for sharing sir. Cheers
Bones2586 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2018, 09:21   #16
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones2586 View Post
Very nice family, thanks for sharing sir. Cheers
Thanks Bones! You're welcome too, best regards to you!

Old April 02, 2018, 12:10   #17
crabcatcher
Registered

FALaholic #: 80583
Awesome rifles. I love the SKy marked one especially. My son (16 years old) loves Russian rifles. He's an AK fanatic. He decided he wanted a Mosin and we went to one of the local Pawn/gun shops and ordered a surplus mosin no frills. Paid $175 for it and placed the order. When the gun came in, we picked it up and took it home. My son researched it (his favorite part) and learned that it was a Tika m27 Finnish rifle. The shop had no idea it was special at all. He has since bought three more. We were able to find a bayonet for his m27. I tracked it down online and had to actually buy it from a guy in Finland. It is a Fiskars model and has the most beautiful birds eye maple grips. Unforntunately some jacka$$ took it and the scabbard to a wire wheel and "cleaned it up"... Had to pay twice what the rifle paid for the bayonet. Your family is very very cool. Love the Finnish stuff.
crabcatcher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 02, 2018, 16:32   #18
Hollis Wood
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 10333
I've had several of these over the years. Liked every one of them.

oh, and I'll take no offence to the Kansas comment. I just live here.
Hollis Wood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 03, 2018, 07:59   #19
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabcatcher View Post
Awesome rifles. I love the SKy marked one especially. My son (16 years old) loves Russian rifles. He's an AK fanatic. He decided he wanted a Mosin and we went to one of the local Pawn/gun shops and ordered a surplus mosin no frills. Paid $175 for it and placed the order. When the gun came in, we picked it up and took it home. My son researched it (his favorite part) and learned that it was a Tika m27 Finnish rifle. The shop had no idea it was special at all. He has since bought three more. We were able to find a bayonet for his m27. I tracked it down online and had to actually buy it from a guy in Finland. It is a Fiskars model and has the most beautiful birds eye maple grips. Unforntunately some jacka$$ took it and the scabbard to a wire wheel and "cleaned it up"... Had to pay twice what the rifle paid for the bayonet. Your family is very very cool. Love the Finnish stuff.
Thanks crabcatcher! It sounds like your son has come down with a case of Mosinitis! It's pretty easy to catch, amhik. Good for him! They are fun to own and come with a lot of history too. Thanks for the reply!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollis Wood View Post
I've had several of these over the years. Liked every one of them.

oh, and I'll take no offence to the Kansas comment. I just live here.
That's mighty big of you Hollis! I meant no harm, just that us Texans have a rather distorted take on geography. Anyplace that far away, in that direction must be Yankee country to us. Hey, here's a Kansas question for you good Kansas folk. I always thought it was flat country. But on Gunsmoke, Matt Dillon is frequently riding off into some pretty fair hills. I figured that the twisters had smashed those flat. Are there hills west of Dodge City?
Thanks for replying sir!
Old April 04, 2018, 05:48   #20
Hollis Wood
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 10333
I've never ventured out that way so I can't say for certain. Not much out there holds much fascination for me. If memory serves correctly, those hills remind me of certain parts of Southern California I've been through.

I could be wrong though.
Hollis Wood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 08, 2018, 16:18   #21
BiGB808
Registered

FALaholic #: 18195
Picked up a m39 about a year ago with arsenal tag still on it. Pops the 300yd steel plates with ease.

There are a couple there with purty wood
Old April 08, 2018, 18:07   #22
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiGB808 View Post
Picked up a m39 about a year ago with arsenal tag still on it. Pops the 300yd steel plates with ease.

There are a couple there with purty wood
Yeah, those 39s are some good 'uns. I've had the chance once to shoot my 1970 M39 at 300 yards. It was a lot of fun too. Thanks for the compliment and for the comment!