The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The FN Files

Notices

Old September 07, 2018, 06:39   #1
Filliam
Registered

FALaholic #: 81341
Where can I buy a new DSA SA58?

Hey everyone, I finally got approved to post and wanted to ask a question.

It seems like barely anyone sells DSA SA58s! Atlantic sells this version that I really like; https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/pro...sic-21-package

The model number is; SA5821S-V2-A

It's basically a classic FAL with a type 2 receiver, 21" barrel, humpback stock, bipod, and carry handle already installed.

So is Atlantic the only place to get it? I've looked all over the web and have even emailed other vendors like AIM surplus and they seem to not want the trouble of doing a special order.

I looked at DSA'a site and emailed them and they will only deal with FFL's.

I would be willing to get something without the bipod like this one; https://www.dsarms.com/p-16571-dsa-s...ock-rifle.aspx

The model number is; SA5821S-A

Basically I want to know some other retailer(s) besides Atlantic so I can shop around so-to-speak.

Thanks for any and all help!
Filliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 07, 2018, 06:51   #2
Slaughter
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 73180
I bought my first from Tombstone Tactical about 6 years ago. It was a spur of the moment deal with one they had hanging on the wall.

https://www.tombstonetactical.com/ca...s/308win/semi/

Not a bad experience with the weapon or Tombstone. No special deal or price. I was guilty of an impulse buy and probably paid too much but back then I wasn't too smart about the FAL breed. Just wanted one.

I have since built up guns from kits with receivers purchased separately.

I have used them for FFL transfers from GunBroker. They could receive the rifle and make it California Legal so I could receive it there and bring home (yes, you can laugh - I still live in the People's Republic for a couple more years)

Last edited by Slaughter; September 07, 2018 at 06:58.
Slaughter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 07, 2018, 06:54   #3
imacoonass01
Veteran Member
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 80275
Any online company that is going to sell a gun, will only deal with an FFL, if they are legit. Of course, for the money, you can buy a better ( Probably not be new) riFAL here on the Files. Just ask for what you want. Good luck.
Old September 07, 2018, 06:54   #4
Atla
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 79587
I've bought a DSA FAL from Atlantic before, no issues.

I'm not sure what's up with AIM Surplus, they seem to be half-assing their company and website these days. They have a lot of items listed that they haven't had in stock in over a year.

You may want to do some research on the forums before selecting DSA. I've no issues with mine, but there is plenty of quality and manufacturing concerns.

Check the Marketplace on the forums as well. You may find a FAL you like better.
Atla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 07, 2018, 07:01   #5
Slaughter
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 73180
Agree with the others here.

You can get a built up gun with MilSurp magazines.

My DSA never liked DSA magazines. Once I went surplus, it started to run fine. I had to de-bur the feed lips and compress the springs. The DSA 10-round magazines sucked without re-working (CA limits them to 10)
Slaughter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 07, 2018, 07:25   #6
Filliam
Registered

Yea, I've heard of recent runs having issues. Especially when it comes to magazines seating properly.
Old September 07, 2018, 08:13   #7
AZ Dave
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 7882
I wouldn't buy a new one. The performance is too spotty. I'd look for an older one or one that was built by a reputable builder here. If you want the shiny new look you can have it refinished. I had one built by Mike Prewitt at MSC years back and it was a p o s. I had to send it back 3 times before it ran right. I was so pissed I sold it. I think I saved $75 by not having ARS do it. That savings was ate up in shipping the rifle back. Bad move!
Old September 07, 2018, 08:14   #8
lockjaw
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64904
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filliam View Post
Yea, I've heard of recent runs having issues. Especially when it comes to magazines seating properly.
Taking into consideration that you are not being cheap and willing to pay for a quality DSA rifle, I HIGHLY recommend skipping the new rifles with cast receivers and a less than stellar reputation, and put out a WTB ad in marketplace for an earlier DS prefix rifle in the configuration that you prefer. You will wnd up with a higher quality rifle that will also hold its value better in the long run.

I recommend putting out a WTB add for a nice factory DS prefix rifle, built with an Austrian 21" barrel and bi-pod. If you clearly state that you are willing to spend $1500+ (more for an exceptional rifle that meets all of your criteria), you should be able to find a seller.

A lot of new guys come on the forum tire kicking and wanting to go cheap, but if you step up and offer honest money for an honest rifle, there are plenty of guys here who would happily square you away.

The rifle will likely come with a straight STG58 stock, and a soldered "ban-era" muzzle device, but both of these issues can be easily remedied.

The rifle may also come with original metal Austrian handguards, which would be easy barter for a set of plastic/fiberglass handguards.
Old September 07, 2018, 09:26   #9
Filliam
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockjaw View Post
Taking into consideration that you are not being cheap and willing to pay for a quality DSA rifle, I HIGHLY recommend skipping the new rifles with cast receivers and a less than stellar reputation, and put out a WTB ad in marketplace for an earlier DS prefix rifle in the configuration that you prefer. You will wnd up with a higher quality rifle that will also hold its value better in the long run.

I recommend putting out a WTB add for a nice factory DS prefix rifle, built with an Austrian 21" barrel and bi-pod. If you clearly state that you are willing to spend $1500+ (more for an exceptional rifle that meets all of your criteria), you should be able to find a seller.

A lot of new guys come on the forum tire kicking and wanting to go cheap, but if you step up and offer honest money for an honest rifle, there are plenty of guys here who would happily square you away.

The rifle will likely come with a straight STG58 stock, and a soldered "ban-era" muzzle device, but both of these issues can be easily remedied.

The rifle may also come with original metal Austrian handguards, which would be easy barter for a set of plastic/fiberglass handguards.
Yea, I don't want to cheap out and buy a "Voyager" model with a cast receiver. Buy once and cry once as they say.
Old September 07, 2018, 09:56   #10
MAINER
Old Salt
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 18465
The following links may or not work and the DSA might be in stock or not, but it looks like there are a few options to try.

Many or most of us on the Files build or have built original FAL/L1A1s from deactivated rifles. We like the challenge of the build and the history of these rifles.
DSA used original parts at one time, mostly from Steyr of Austria known as the StG 58. They were excellent rifles, likely the best of their kind.
DSA ran out of originals six or more years ago and the DSA of today is entirely built of new parts. To most of us this is not exactly exciting news given DSA's spotty reputation of quality control.
I would recommend that you spend some time reading and searching on the Files to get an idea of what is available. DSA rifles of today are modeled after the Austrian StG for the most part, but without the big Stoll flash hider that I'm fond of.

I would be looking to buy a well built Imbel on Imbel or StG on an Imbel or DS receiver in the Marketplace forum as suggested above.

DSA vendors;

http://www.tombstonetactical.com%2Fc...-20rd-black%2F

www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/ds-arms-fal-

grabagun.com/ds-arms-arms-sa58-308win-21-20rd

www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/advanced_search

www.hinterlandoutfitters.com/sa58-standard-rifle

www.wholesalehunter.com/Search/Brand/7112
Old September 07, 2018, 11:16   #11
Uriah Lee
Registered

FALaholic #: 81151
Brownell's offers them from time to time.
Uriah Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 07, 2018, 12:06   #12
J. Armstrong
Minister of Amusement
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 13629
If that's what floats your boat go to it and good luck.

Frankly, most of us wouldn't touch a new DSA............

“I respect the government only in the sense that I respect any other dangerous predator who views me as food.”

“The consolidation of the states into one vast empire, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of ruin which has overwhelmed all that preceded it.” Robert E. Lee
J. Armstrong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 07, 2018, 12:48   #13
pl521
Registered

FALaholic #: 74645
I have an older DS Arms SA58 carbine with forged upper receiver, sub DSA28XXX serial number. PM me if interested.
pl521 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 07, 2018, 12:58   #14
Atla
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 79587
Quote:
Yea, I don't want to cheap out and buy a "Voyager" model with a cast receiver. Buy once and cry once as they say.
I don't think they offer the Voyager series anymore.

But I have one. I slapped an extended safety, ergo grip, and a DSA optics mount on it. I lucked out and had no problems, (I wasn't aware of the issues at the time of purchase) and I've pulled 2.5 MOA consistently.

Also, all of DSA's current receivers are cast. Not just the voyager model.
Atla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 08, 2018, 06:55   #15
Filliam
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atla View Post
I don't think they offer the Voyager series anymore.

But I have one. I slapped an extended safety, ergo grip, and a DSA optics mount on it. I lucked out and had no problems, (I wasn't aware of the issues at the time of purchase) and I've pulled 2.5 MOA consistently.

Also, all of DSA's current receivers are cast. Not just the voyager model.
All of DSA's new SA58's are cast receivers? Wow. I was under the assumption that the Voyagers were using cast receivers as a cost-cutting measure while the more expensive SKUs had forged receivers (which makes sense as they are around $500 more expensive).
Old September 08, 2018, 07:30   #16
J. Armstrong
Minister of Amusement
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 13629
Quote:
All of DSA's new SA58's are cast receivers? Wow. I was under the assumption that the Voyagers were using cast receivers as a cost-cutting measure while the more expensive SKUs had forged receivers (which makes sense as they are around $500 more expensive).
DSA hasn't done forged receiver run in quite some time. The casting isn't the problem - if you read a bit here you will find that there seems to be some serious QC problems with their stuff over the last year or two. Yes, they have a warranty and do honor it, and no, not all rifles exhibit problems, but playing the odds with somewhere well north of a grand of hard earned money doesn't sit well.

I would highly recommend watching the Marketplace here. With a little due diligence, you will likely get a better rifle at a lower cost. Members here are very trustworthy and it is unlikely an established member would screw you over.

“I respect the government only in the sense that I respect any other dangerous predator who views me as food.”

“The consolidation of the states into one vast empire, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of ruin which has overwhelmed all that preceded it.” Robert E. Lee
J. Armstrong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 10, 2018, 03:52   #17
Filliam
Registered

Alright, I appreciate all the information folks!

So I have another question (I don't think it warrants an entire new thread though.

What is the difference between these two SKUs?

https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/pro...21-traditional

https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/pro...sic-21-package

If I'm reading correctly it's just the bipod. Which in my opinion does not warrant an additional $100 as they can be had for $30-$40 alone.
Old September 10, 2018, 04:11   #18
The Chief
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 76457
Not a type II, and not 'correct' per sé, but I'll guarantee its function and consistency. It's mostly mil surp parts, forged Imbel receiver, and two mil surp mags, for just over a grand:

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=431821

If interested, let me know, I'll put you in touch with a couple other recent customers, and can provide further details...
COBC #66
Farkën Snêekee Bastïtch
(formerly 'Capt D')
The Chief is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 10, 2018, 08:48   #19
MAINER
Old Salt
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 18465
Quote:
Alright, I appreciate all the information folks!

So I have another question (I don't think it warrants an entire new thread though.

What is the difference between these two SKUs?

https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/pro...21-traditional

https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/pro...sic-21-package

If I'm reading correctly it's just the bipod. Which in my opinion does not warrant an additional $100 as they can be had for $30-$40 alone.
It would be more than "Just" the Bi-pod. The barrel is machined for the Bi-pod and the Handguards are different with slots to allow the Bi-pod to fold.

Bi-pods are nearly useless in my opinion, unless I get to repel a horde of Zombies from the slit trench of my Bunker, the several I have will stay in the Spare Stuff box in the shed.
They add weight to an already heavy rifle and throws off the rifles balance, are either too tall or too short, and mostly turn a 2 or 3 MOA rifle into a 5 or 6 MOA bullet hose. I certainly wouldn't pay extra for Bi-pod version.

YMMV

Last edited by MAINER; September 10, 2018 at 08:58.
MAINER is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 10, 2018, 09:31   #20
Filliam
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAINER View Post
It would be more than "Just" the Bi-pod. The barrel is machined for the Bi-pod and the Handguards are different with slots to allow the Bi-pod to fold.

Bi-pods are nearly useless in my opinion, unless I get to repel a horde of Zombies from the slit trench of my Bunker, the several I have will stay in the Spare Stuff box in the shed.
They add weight to an already heavy rifle and throws off the rifles balance, are either too tall or too short, and mostly turn a 2 or 3 MOA rifle into a 5 or 6 MOA bullet hose. I certainly wouldn't pay extra for Bi-pod version.

YMMV
I believe the standard 21" does in fact have the notches for the bipod. I was unaware of the cut in the barrel to accept a bipod.

I would order the standard 21" (since it's $100 less) but it's out of stock. I contacted Atlantic and they claim they've been on order since last Spring to early Summer. Plus they say when they do get them they may increase the price.

Looks like I just need to bite the bullet on the bipod SKU...
Old September 10, 2018, 20:30   #21
kysjck
Registered

FALaholic #: 31833
Bi-pods are worse than useless. My belief, is that the West Germans ordered the G1s to sit in trenches waiting for the Soviets. I suppose they envisioned the rifles sitting on the bi-pods ready to fire on the the Commie hoards. They were the origin of the worst features that STG58s continued and FN expanded to be part of many later models. A bi-pod has no value on a battle rifle. It's no coincidence that M1s, M14s, M16s, and all inch pattern light FALs stayed away from bi-pods. The stamped steel hand-guards are another truly stupid idea. They're noisy, flimsy, and guaranteed to burn your hands. If these weren't enough, some West German genius requested the sight plane be lowered 3mm. This was adopted by most metric FALs including the STG58s. Sight picture and sight acquisition suffered. FN's original design was far better. Lastly the Austrian's Major Stoll designed an incredibly heavy flash hider to use various rifle grenades while loosing the ability to mount a bayonet. It is, at least an effective flash hider. The straight comb stock was a good idea. It allows a good cheek weld with the stupid low sight plane. The rest of the STG58 is excellent. At least the surplus parts are excellent. DSA made parts aren't.
kysjck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 11, 2018, 10:08   #22
Filliam
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by kysjck View Post
Bi-pods are worse than useless. My belief, is that the West Germans ordered the G1s to sit in trenches waiting for the Soviets. I suppose they envisioned the rifles sitting on the bi-pods ready to fire on the the Commie hoards. They were the origin of the worst features that STG58s continued and FN expanded to be part of many later models. A bi-pod has no value on a battle rifle. It's no coincidence that M1s, M14s, M16s, and all inch pattern light FALs stayed away from bi-pods. The stamped steel hand-guards are another truly stupid idea. They're noisy, flimsy, and guaranteed to burn your hands. If these weren't enough, some West German genius requested the sight plane be lowered 3mm. This was adopted by most metric FALs including the STG58s. Sight picture and sight acquisition suffered. FN's original design was far better. Lastly the Austrian's Major Stoll designed an incredibly heavy flash hider to use various rifle grenades while loosing the ability to mount a bayonet. It is, at least an effective flash hider. The straight comb stock was a good idea. It allows a good cheek weld with the stupid low sight plane. The rest of the STG58 is excellent. At least the surplus parts are excellent. DSA made parts aren't.
Well most of my guns ar safe queens. I go shooting around once a year. And with .308/7.62x51 being as expensive as it is it's not like I would be using this as a weekly shooter, So the bipod is more of a nice accessory to show off the rifle.

But the comments about DSA being bad has me concerned. I want a brand new rifle (never have bought a used gun) so DSA is my only option.
Old September 11, 2018, 18:38   #23
lockjaw
Registered
Contributor

Quote:
Well most of my guns ar safe queens. I go shooting around once a year. And with .308/7.62x51 being as expensive as it is it's not like I would be using this as a weekly shooter, So the bipod is more of a nice accessory to show off the rifle.

But the comments about DSA being bad has me concerned. I want a brand new rifle (never have bought a used gun) so DSA is my only option.
I understand that you want a "new" rifle, but you sound like a perfect candidate for a gently used preban SAR-48 or Argentine. You might have to step up a c-note or two, but you own a killer original rifle that will undoubtably hold or increase in value, unlike the DSA which will.depreciate in value the moment the FFl logs it into his books.
Old September 11, 2018, 20:10   #24
Filliam
Registered

I just saw that DSA said this on MAC's recent YouTube video where he showed off a genuine pre-ban FAL and a DSA SA58.
Old September 13, 2018, 18:58   #25
Filliam
Registered

Alright, I made the order. $1,605 gone. I'll keep you guys updated.
Old September 13, 2018, 21:06   #26
4x401
Giver of Noogies...
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 31978
Quote:
"Let the games begin!"....

"Put your thumb up, hit the bolt release, and quit phuking with God and Eugene"
4x401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14, 2018, 06:43   #27
1911Ron
Registered

FALaholic #: 17513
Keep us updated!
Old September 14, 2018, 08:47   #28
lockjaw
Registered
Contributor

Quote:
I hope it works out for you. Enjoy.
Old January 11, 2019, 16:08   #29
Filliam
Registered

I received the rifle around two months ago.

The fit and finish is probably the best I've ever seen on a rifle. Absolute piece of art.

Very happy with my purchase.
Old January 11, 2019, 16:32   #30
Leatherlids
Registered

FALaholic #: 30728
Quote:

The fit and finish is probably the best I've ever seen on a rifle. Absolute piece of art.

Range visit yet?
Leatherlids is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 12, 2019, 00:03   #31
fussbudget
Registered

FALaholic #: 81806
Just received a new DSA upper and magazine fitment is perfect.
Thought I would mention that as a PSA to people thinking of using DSA.
fussbudget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12, 2019, 10:35   #32
North Forest
Registered

FALaholic #: 81277
Quote:

I got my SA58 about 8 months ago, ordered it directly from DSA and had it sent to my favorite FFL. I spent more and did not get the Voyager model. This was before I had discovered this forum and started learning a lot more about FALs. Naturally I had great concerns after reading all the very bad comments about DSA. But I must be one of the lucky ones, because my SA58 functions perfectly in every aspect and is now one of my favorite rifles. I want to eventually get more FALs, Belgian, Israeli, Austrian, English. Just a matter of time and money, I'll admit I'm in love with the FAL now.
North Forest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12, 2019, 11:41   #33
Uriah Lee
Registered

FALaholic #: 81151
I bought my DSA Congo version last year with much trepidation, like you, after having read reports on the Files. Initially there were feeding issues that were corrected by polishing feed ramps and switching to mil surp magazines. Grippy park had to settle in as well. Honestly, I think the DSA magazines were the biggest hit to functionality. And after having discarding the factory mags and switching to surplus units it has been nothing but grins.
Uriah Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29, 2019, 15:22   #34
Kelroy
Registered

FALaholic #: 82073
Quote:

I just purchased a new DSA SA58 Classic with an 18" barrel. I'm super excited, but after reading a lot of negativity about DSA quality control, I'm nervous. I'm very impressed with the fit and finish, as well. FYI, my receiver is forged. A Moses magazine came with the rifle and easily is inserted and removed with no issues. I'm excited to take it to the range and see how she runs. Have you had a chance to shoot yours?

Last edited by Kelroy; January 29, 2019 at 15:25. Reason: To add content.
Kelroy is offline   Reply With Quote