The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > News & Political Discussion > Economics & Investing

Notices

Old July 18, 2018, 16:01   #1
Bawana jim
Registered

FALaholic #: 17482
A wee bit of speculation

So I noticed gold down to $1227 today which I find odd with so much political turmoil here. Plus I see ammo down from two years ago and very available now. AR 15s are down below $500 nib and powder and primers have gone down too and are available.

So betting on the future would you consider buying some of these products now or would you wait for them to fall more?

What would the value of all these products be if Trump was forced out of office?
Old July 18, 2018, 16:11   #2
okiefarmer
Curio & Relic
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 3248
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bawana jim View Post
So I noticed gold down to $1227 today which I find odd with so much political turmoil here. Plus I see ammo down from two years ago and very available now. AR 15s are down below $500 nib and powder and primers have gone down too and are available.

So betting on the future would you consider buying some of these products now or would you wait for them to fall more?

What would the value of all these products be if Trump was forced out of office?
Many market players practice a “step up” buying program, averaging prices on the way up(and/or down). We don’t know when the next “never waste a good crisis” event will be manufactured. Me, I’d just keep buying in moderation.
Old July 18, 2018, 16:15   #3
bubbagump
Stand-Up Philosopher
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 21705
Quote:

You know what I think about gold but I'll say it again. Not enough upside, it's still awfully expensive when you consider it's historical price with respect to silver. If you must go with PMs, consider silver.

Guns, ammo and other ballistic wampum is always good provided you can store it. At these prices it's pretty safe, at least it's hard to imagine the price of an AR-15 to drop much more. Especially ammo, it's almost always a safe buy and ammo will get scarce before launchers do.

To the real question, what happens if the Donald is driven from office, well I would expect the new order they call globalism will surge again. If someone thinks that will happen I'd be investing more in multinationals. Who knows, maybe even GE will come back. Although I kinda doubt it personally.
Old July 18, 2018, 16:43   #4
tdb59
Are We Awake ?
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 63177
Components, especially anything Red Metals based.

tdb59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 19, 2018, 09:56   #5
Bawana jim
Registered

Gold dropped another $11 overnight..
Old July 21, 2018, 11:22   #6
rowjimmy
Dinosaur
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 21662
Pallets of condoms and lube for the post-apocalypse.
rowjimmy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 21, 2018, 19:56   #7
tdb59
Are We Awake ?
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowjimmy View Post
Pallets of condoms and lube for the post-apocalypse.
Let me guess.... Vodka and chocolates for the pre-apocalypse....

Old July 23, 2018, 22:16   #8
Bawana jim
Registered

Looks like the answer is already laid out for us...

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/3673279/posts
Old July 24, 2018, 16:20   #9
RG Coburn
Registered

FALaholic #: 27406
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdb59 View Post
Let me guess.... Vodka and chocolates for the pre-apocalypse....

Bill Cosby preferred qualudes over chocolate...
RG Coburn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2018, 17:07   #10
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34604
Paying off liabilities to lower risk and then polishing up a the resume is my plan. I’ve had 3 rental properties that have been bleeding me dry for the last 10 years . Down to 1 and having to spend 15k to get it up to speed.

Picking up a couple of guns here and there. But not for investing more for shooting and fondling. They’ll probably appreciate more than gold.

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.
meltblown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2018, 23:00   #11
wanneroo
Registered

FALaholic #: 74891
The next ammo crisis is always around the corner. If you adjust current prices for inflation, we've got it cheap right now.

I have a few gaps in my inventory of ammo and reloading supplies I could add too, but really at the moment I could shoot for years with no worries.
wanneroo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2018, 06:00   #12
easttex
Registered

FALaholic #: 20438
Quote:
Originally Posted by meltblown View Post
Paying off liabilities to lower risk and then polishing up a the resume is my plan. I’ve had 3 rental properties that have been bleeding me dry for the last 10 years . Down to 1 and having to spend 15k to get it up to speed.

Picking up a couple of guns here and there. But not for investing more for shooting and fondling. They’ll probably appreciate more than gold.
Sans rental houses, that sounds like my plan as well. If things stay on track, I should be completely debt free and stacking all those payments into savings by April. I plan on buying up all the ammo that I can over the next year as well as maxing out the retirement deposits and buying some gold as well. We haven't bought another house since moving to Fort Worth yet, but that's on the horizon as well.

Molon labe
easttex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2018, 11:40   #13
Bawana jim
Registered

I might start raising chickens, looks like eggs may be the new dollar when the system collapses. Folks gotta eat.
Old July 25, 2018, 11:57   #14
bubbagump
Stand-Up Philosopher
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG Coburn View Post
Bill Cosby preferred qualudes over chocolate...
Old July 25, 2018, 12:06   #15
Scout10
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 80494
Look at what is happening to the housing market AGAIN !
Prices have skyrocketed up +30 % or more past 8 - 12 months.
Qualifications have been lowered to squeeze more buyers into the market as the interest rate creeps up.
Californacation, leds the way pricing actual "uninhabitable" housing property
at the $1Million mark. How the heck can anyone ? ? out there.
Another housing and economy bump in the road lurking around the corner ? ? ? ? ?

strange times at Ridgemont High market volitility isn't helping any
Scout10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 26, 2018, 19:54   #16
Timber Wolf
Registered

FALaholic #: 805
My honest opinion, and what I am doing. Buy what you want and will reasonable use/need down the road. I am not hoarding anything else I will have to mess with finding a buyer for. I hate dealing with tire-kickers. I found two dusty bottles of Pyrodex P on a bottom shelf of a gun store last week with old price stickers. Bought them both, sealed cans of powder keeps well and I just bought another Ruger Old Army and another .32 caliber BP rifle so it will get shot up someday. But, and I truly mean this, I recommend to hoard cash. Times are good, work some OT and bank it. When the next bust comes, they always do, buy stuff on the cheap.

"Guns don't kill people. Daddys with good looking daughters do!"
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27, 2018, 13:37   #17
Bawana jim
Registered

I see they banned ammo and gun sales after the killings in Canook land. Having extra to turn a big profit might be worth the investment. Heck kali regulates ammo now so what does the future bring?

https://www.breitbart.com/big-govern...nday-shooting/
Old Yesterday, 16:56   #18
Wil-C
Registered

FALaholic #: 17357
Quote:

I'd purchase gold only as a store of wealth, not a bartering item. Store wealth for post traumatic event recovery. Purchase in small amounts as time / money permits.
Silver, as previously stated, is a much better coinage / money bartering item and also functions as a store of wealth.
I do whatever silver I can get given gold is out of my price range.

As for firearms, how many does one need? One rifle & handgun for anyone in your immediate family who can use one if needed. Something for the 'rainy day' box is a prudent thing to do.
Beyond that, ammo, reloading components, mags, spare parts, are what should be gotten in roughly that order. Once that's reasonably accomplished, mags & spares are good? ammo, reloading components, training, is the 'to-do' thing.

Collecting is probably a fun hobby, however I see too many people with a huge amount of money tied up in a massive collection, and still looking for "that next gun". They don't have squat for real preparation or insurance against a rainy day. Nowhere near enough ammo or anything on that list.

I purchase a bit at a time now, the panic of the last decade is finally over with so things are available. I don't worry if prices are going to get any lower, whatever price I pay now is what I pay, rather have it than endure the past 10 years again.
Old Yesterday, 21:15   #19
Bawana jim
Registered

Wish I had a
Old Today, 12:45   #20
bubbagump
Stand-Up Philosopher
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wil-C View Post
I'd purchase gold only as a store of wealth, not a bartering item. Store wealth for post traumatic event recovery. Purchase in small amounts as time / money permits.
Silver, as previously stated, is a much better coinage / money bartering item and also functions as a store of wealth.
I do whatever silver I can get given gold is out of my price range.

As for firearms, how many does one need? One rifle & handgun for anyone in your immediate family who can use one if needed. Something for the 'rainy day' box is a prudent thing to do.
Beyond that, ammo, reloading components, mags, spare parts, are what should be gotten in roughly that order.
Once that's reasonably accomplished, mags & spares are good? ammo, reloading components, training, is the 'to-do' thing.

Collecting is probably a fun hobby, however I see too many people with a huge amount of money tied up in a massive collection, and still looking for "that next gun". They don't have squat for real preparation or insurance against a rainy day. Nowhere near enough ammo or anything on that list.

I purchase a bit at a time now, the panic of the last decade is finally over with so things are available. I don't worry if prices are going to get any lower, whatever price I pay now is what I pay, rather have it than endure the past 10 years again.
The late great Jeff Cooper used to describe ammo as ballistic wampum. Easily as good for barter as gold is, probably a whole lot better when it matters. As to collectors they're targets for the great unwashed. You are absolutely right about 'how many do you need', the answer is probably three. One battle rifle, one backup piece and a handgun. Or one for carry, one for the truck and one strategically hidden away if ya prefer.

One thing I have noticed is with a few exceptions collectors are, by and large not shooters. Some shooters are collectors but rather than acquire one of each we decide which ones are the ones to have and then pick up several. Perhaps it can be called collecting but it ain't quite the same thing.
Old Today, 12:48   #21
tdb59
Are We Awake ?
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbagump View Post
Some shooters are collectors but rather than acquire one of each we decide which ones are the ones to have and then pick up several. Perhaps it can be called collecting but it ain't quite the same thing.
I am not a hoarder, and I can stop anytime I want to.....

.........really want to......

Old Today, 13:04   #22
Bawana jim
Registered

Guns and ammo are just putting your money into something physical that will have the same value. I would rather have a good fiream than equivalent value in gold, I can hunt food with a gun but can only trade gold. Wealth is wealth and lots of guns wouldn't hurt a thing if that's what a fellow wants. Guns can be turned into money.
Old Today, 13:10   #23
bubbagump
Stand-Up Philosopher
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdb59 View Post
I am not a hoarder, and I can stop anytime I want to.....

.........really want to......

Hoarder is probably a better word for it. I prefer the term 'undocumented armorer' myself.

Quote:
Guns and ammo are just putting your money into something physical that will have the same value. I would rather have a good fiream than equivalent value in gold, I can hunt food with a gun but can only trade gold. Wealth is wealth and lots of guns wouldn't hurt a thing if that's what a fellow wants. Guns can be turned into money.
A weapon is, quite literally priceless when you really really need one.
Old Today, 13:27   #24
Bawana jim
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbagump View Post
Hoarder is probably a better word for it. I prefer the term 'undocumented armorer' myself.

A weapon is, quite literally priceless when you really really need one.
Back in the 80s I was working a high dollar contract and bought 21 really good guns, most guns I had ever owned. Government destroyed work with the spotted owl and I ended up selling every gun, guns were just money in your hands and not in the bank.

Another point, cash can be stolen by the cops if you can't prove it's yours but guns are easy to prove ownership.