Go Back   The FAL Files > Discussion Forums > General Non-Firearms Discussion

Notices

Old July 12, 2018, 14:26   #1
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 4653
Interesting facts from the Vietnam Memorial

I received this information in an email from a friend. I thought some might also find it interesting:

Interesting Veterans Statistics off the Vietnam Memorial Wall

There are 58,267 names now listed on that polished black wall, including those added in 2010.

The names are arranged in the order in which they were taken from us by date and within each date the names are alphabetized. It is hard to believe it is 61 years since the first casualty.

The first known casualty was Richard B. Fitzgibbon, of North Weymouth , Mass. Listed by the U.S. Department of Defense as having been killed on June 8, 1956. His name is listed on the Wall with that of his son, Marine Corps LCpl Richard B. Fitzgibbon III, who was killed on Sept. 7, 1965.

There are three sets of fathers and sons on the Wall.

39,996 on the Wall were just 22 or younger.

8,283 were just 19 years old.

The largest age group, 33,103 were 18 years old.

12 soldiers on the Wall were 17 years old.

5 soldiers on the Wall were 16 years old.

One soldier, PFC Dan Bullock was 15 years old.

997 soldiers were killed on their first day in Vietnam .

1,448 soldiers were killed on their last day in Vietnam .

31 sets of brothers are on the Wall.

Thirty one sets of parents lost two of their sons.

54 soldiers attended Thomas Edison High School in Philadelphia . I wonder why so many from that one school

8 Women are on the Wall, Nursing the wounded.

244 soldiers were awarded the Medal of Honor during the Vietnam War; 153 of them are on the Wall

Beallsville , Ohio with a population of 475 lost 6 of her sons

West Virginia had the highest casualty rate per capita in the nation. There are 711 West Virginians on the Wall.

The Marines of Morenci, AZ - They led some of the scrappiest high school football and basketball teams that the little Arizona copper town of Morenci (pop 5,058) had ever known and cheered. They enjoyed roaring beer busts. In quieter moments, they rode horses along the Coronado Trail, stalked deer in the Apache National Forest . And in the patriotic camaraderie typical of Morenci's mining families, the nine graduates of Morenci High enlisted as a group in the Marine Corps. Their service began on Independence Day, 1966. Only 3 returned home.

The Buddies of Midvale, UT - LeRoy Tafoya, Jimmy Martinez, Tom Gonzales were all boyhood friends and lived on three consecutive streets in Midvale, Utah on Fifth, Sixth and Seventh avenues. They lived only a few yards apart. They played ball at the adjacent sandlot ball field. And they all went to Vietnam . In a span of 16 dark days in late 1967, all three would be killed. LeRoy was killed on Wednesday, Nov. 22, the fourth anniversary of John F. Kennedy's assassination. Jimmy died less than 24 hours later on Thanksgiving Day. Tom was shot dead assaulting the enemy on Dec. 7, Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day.

The most casualty deaths for a single day was on January 31, 1968 ~ 245 deaths.

The most casualty deaths for a single month was May 1968 - 2,415 casualties were incurred.

My daddy was a cowboy in his younger days, wild as the west Texas wind. He once told me, "Son, death is a horse you got to ride. So you better get your saddle ready."

heavily armed, easily pissed.
Texgunner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2018, 15:56   #2
Riversidesports
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 36091
Well getting wasted in 56' just isn't a War casualty
it was still French Indo-China
still good he is honored

French started pulling out in 54' after Dein bein phulooshness, took a few years too.
Indo-China was largely abandoned to move Men into Algeria

We had a vet here that ended up there in like 58' as an advisor. He hit his 20 before things really heated up and we started pouring our boys in in the 60s
He brought home a just lovely French-Viet wife, the girls were all little Blondes, part Viet, part French and the rest from Norway

A couple local Natives ended up getting medals under GW
one already had like a dozen purple hearts from that War
Awarded a medal of valor that he pawned to me like three weeks later at the VFW club. I'm giving it to one of his grandkids after he passes. You don't sell that shit...stays with family

Bunch of young kids enlisted
know of two 16 year olds here that ended up in country

unmentioned on those black Granite walls are the Canucks who enlisted and there were a bunch from rural communities. Was real common up here, local recruiter here used to go to pubs in Manitoba hunting war meat.
Riversidesports is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2018, 15:58   #3
croftonaviation
Motivated underachiever
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64580
Thanks for sharing. my boss is in DC right now with his 16yo son. I'll send it to him so hopefully his visit to the wall will have a greater impact.
Old July 12, 2018, 16:13   #4
Trypcil
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 63101
Who benefitted?

"To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize." -- Voltaire

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The point of the journey, is not to arrive..." Hexabuzz.
Trypcil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2018, 18:24   #5
kfranz
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 101
Not to nitpick, but the combined 18 and 19 y.o. totals are greater than the under 22 total. Regardless of the veracity of the specific demographics, the monument is a powerful place.
kfranz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2018, 19:10   #6
01BIRDDOG
Registered

FALaholic #: 54639
Here is a somewhat long story i have about the Wall. I served in Vietnam in 1966-67 having joined with a total of five in the Marine Corps. Two of us came back.....While on Operation Essex with "G" Co. 2/5 my best friend was KIA in Nov. '67. Fast forward to 1982 shortly after completion of the wall and they were showing it on TV and from a long distance, say 100 yds. While watching this with my wife the camera started closing up until it was showing only one name of the aprox. 58,000 listed there. This one name was that of my "G" 2/5 Marine. Semper fi
01BIRDDOG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2018, 19:32   #7
MAINER
Old Salt
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 18465
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trypcil View Post
Who benefitted?
MIC and the Politic Pogues
Old July 12, 2018, 19:44   #8
Right Side Up
Old Fart
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 43
A number that isn't on there are all the guys that got cancer from Agent Orange exposure and died back home.
Right Side Up is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2018, 19:45   #9
VALMET
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 1826
Lots of interesting information- thank you for posting this OP.

"Dammit Smithers this is brain surgery, not rocket science!" -C. Montgomery Burns
VALMET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2018, 20:33   #10
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by VALMET View Post
Lots of interesting information- thank you for posting this OP.
You are welcome sir.

My daddy was a cowboy in his younger days, wild as the west Texas wind. He once told me, "Son, death is a horse you got to ride. So you better get your saddle ready."

Old July 12, 2018, 23:20   #11
Tuscan Raider
Registered

FALaholic #: 19668
Quote:
Originally Posted by Right Side Up View Post
A number that isn't on there are all the guys that got cancer from Agent Orange exposure and died back home.
Yeah. Friend of mine in Idaho died couple years ago from this.

One of those things the .gov will never admit though.

Ghandi

"We, here in America, hold in our hands the hopes of the world, the fate of the coming years; and shame and disgrace will be ours if in our eyes the light of high resolve is dimmed, if we trail in the dust the golden hopes of men."

Theodore Roosevelt
Address at Carnegie Hall
March 30, 1912
Tuscan Raider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2018, 12:37   #12
perryturner
Veteran Member
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 6271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuscan Raider View Post
Yeah. Friend of mine in Idaho died couple years ago from this.

One of those things the .gov will never admit though.
They admitted it when I went to the VA several years ago to get hearing aids. They told me that I was eligible for treatment of Agent Orange related conditions, if I ever had any.
perryturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2018, 10:27   #13
fanofthefal
Registered

FALaholic #: 79919
Quote:
While I don't doubt that Agent Orange was some nasty insidious stuff that directly caused the deaths of untold numbers of people, I do wonder how many of the guys that claim they have health problems vis-a-vis Agent Orange is actually more a byproduct of old age and a lifetime of poor health decisions?

For example, the guy that owns the building up where I work employs a locksmith who's a Vietnam Vet and claims he was health issues, including diabetes, related to his exposure to Agent Orange while a member of the AF during his time in Vietnam. While he was telling me this I noticed the guy was massively overweight and downing a 40 oz big gulp filled with soda water. Same goes for another guy, he flew F-4s out of Thailand, claims he has agent orange related health issues but is also significantly overweight and rarely seen without a big gulp. My stepfather is also another example, while there's little doubt he was exposed to defoliants he was another guy who was always significantly overweight and had terrible eating habits.

Again I'm not not trying to slight any vets or deny that a ton of guys have service related health issues, but I do wonder how many folks were trying to game the system.
fanofthefal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2018, 12:22   #14
Scout10
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 80494
im sure there are those that play the system. and the system a majority of time is its own worst enemy. did you know that each service (navy, army, etc) has its own disability assessment protocall, performed, prior to seperation?
one service clearly places MORE people on the % disability list than others.
so there were / are 5 seperate scales to tip for compensation. (is one easier than others? . . . . YES!)

BUT, those that applied after seperation, had the VA evaluations to qualify against, which is then the 6th. The VA's methods were 10 times
more stringent than the seperation evaluation.

You didn't say the people you mentioned were actually collecting compensation. Was it from their seperation eval or later filing and jumping thru the
paperwork hoop. Anyone can bitch, but can it now be connected with proof. And the VA is even finally admitting "some" involvement.

I know of a person that collected 10% comp for 58 years. He worked as an oderly in a hospital state side. He and a coworker were cleaning surgical instruments,
in and out of the enclave. Started playing around and he attempted to block a flying scalpel.
It nicked the tip of his right hand index finger pad, removing a 3/8 in circle 1/8 in deep. 10% for 58 yrs.....

there isn't a federal program alive that doesn't have more than its fair share of . . . . . . . . issues.
but the group mentioned did one thing different, . . . . . . they got off their ass.

Last edited by Scout10; July 16, 2018 at 12:40.
Scout10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2018, 12:37   #15
Right Side Up
Old Fart
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofthefal View Post

Again I'm not not trying to slight any vets or deny that a ton of guys have service related health issues, but I do wonder how many folks were trying to game the system.

Well, when the VA itself tells you your cancer was from agent Orange exposure it's probably real. They're hardly an origination that likes to pay out money. MD Anderson saying it too helps back it up.
Right Side Up is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2018, 13:01   #16
fanofthefal
Registered

FALaholic #: 79919
Quote:
Well, when the VA itself tells you your cancer was from agent Orange exposure it's probably real. They're hardly an origination that likes to pay out money. MD Anderson saying it too helps back it up.
Like I said in my OP I wasn't denying the fact that Agent Orange was some horrible nasty stuff that ultimately killed untold numbers of American servicemen. I was just speculating that a lot of guys who claim they have Agent Orange related health issues that some of their lifelong habits and lifestyle choices might have some degree of relevance to some their current health problems.
fanofthefal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2018, 13:01   #17
Scout10
Registered
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texgunner View Post
I received this information in an email from a friend. I thought some might also find it interesting:

Interesting Veterans Statistics off the Vietnam Memorial
Thanks for the info . . .
how the hell did the 15 yr old kid get there ? ? ?

humor we had a "Chinese citizen" in our unit for about a week.
He was in the Army, took the oath and all, training and went to RVN.
When our PSG questioned him, the truth came out he wasn't even a US citizen! They quickly got him out of country. HOW THE HELL !
Old July 16, 2018, 13:05   #18
Scout10
Registered
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofthefal View Post
Like I said in my OP I wasn't denying the fact that Agent Orange was some horrible nasty stuff that ultimately killed untold numbers of American servicemen. I was just speculating that a lot of guys who claim they have Agent Orange related health issues that some of their lifelong habits and lifestyle choices might have some degree of relevance to some their current health problems.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Correct its no fault of yours.
And no doubt life style assisted in many of the medical related situations.
Old July 16, 2018, 13:08   #19
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 67949
http://www.1stcavmedic.com/Medic-Corpsman.htm

2096 medics killed

A shitload wounded/damaged

Got far to many friends on that wall.

May their memory be a blessing

B'shalom

It ain't the firearms they are wanting to be rid of, its you!
yellowhand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2018, 13:10   #20
SPEEDGUNNER
Firearms Connoisseur
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 43933
For those that served and died, we bow our heads.

For those that served and came home, Welcome Home Brother.

"Lest We Forget"
And they roam the world at will."
- Robert Service
SPEEDGUNNER is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2018, 13:26   #21
Riversidesports
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

Dioxin is nasty shit brothers
thing is it was once widely used everywhere just like DDT
Agriculture used tons of it here

Just sayin' there were many exposure vectors
Have a cousin who flagged crop dusters with me on our Uncles farm, she has all sorts of medical issues but I don't

Everybody is different

DoD initially refused to admit vets were suffering
thing was quite a few in my opinion were gaming the system

One of my favorite old guys gets special VA payments over Mustard Gas exposure. He was a Pearl during the 41' attack, afterwards was detailed to unload leaking Chemical munitions from half sunk ships in the harbor, third of his body is scar tissue.

VA refuses to admit it's due to Hydrogen Mustard exposure
that just changes the BS narrative why Japan attacked Pearl in 41'
see we had an agreement that the Pacific would remain Chemical free

Went to a couple Pearl Vet meets years ago and ran into other heavily scarred vets, same deal. Guys were all rather bitter

DoD never gave one shit
think about the guys forced to march through fall out in the late 40s and 50s after nuke tests
Good buddy died two years ago, just ridden with cancers
He was force marched to a nuke detonation in Neveda in like the late 40s
He was irradiated so badly he ended up sterile
Old July 16, 2018, 13:32   #22
Riversidesports
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout10 View Post
Thanks for the info . . .
how the hell did the 15 yr old kid get there ? ? ?

humor we had a "Chinese citizen" in our unit for about a week.
He was in the Army, took the oath and all, training and went to RVN.
When our PSG questioned him, the truth came out he wasn't even a US citizen! They quickly got him out of country. HOW THE HELL !
back then with a parental permission slip a 15 year old could get in

Rules changed a bit post Indochina and the abolition of the draft but used to be a kid was able to drop out of school and go military

pretty sure 15 was the bottom end though
Old July 16, 2018, 13:49   #23
catmguy445
Registered

FALaholic #: 50311
Quote:
Originally Posted by croftonaviation View Post
Thanks for sharing. my boss is in DC right now with his 16yo son. I'll send it to him so hopefully his visit to the wall will have a greater impact.

It will.
Old July 16, 2018, 13:55   #24
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riversidesports View Post
back then with a parental permission slip a 15 year old could get in

Rules changed a bit post Indochina and the abolition of the draft but used to be a kid was able to drop out of school and go military

pretty sure 15 was the bottom end though
No, it was 17 with mama note, not 15.

Back then, everything was paper, no connected computers for this stuff.

Take the BC of a 15 yr old, use white out, change the 53 yob to read 50, use the raised stamp inside the recruiters desk drawer, muck up the original raised stamp a little, 15 yr old is now an 18 yr old.

Send kid off to tha Army, on security upgrade 3 and half yrs later, they check the original BC in the local court house, slap kid, say don;t do that shit again, grant security clearance, retires after 24 yrs.

The youngest I ever met, was a staff sgt at the time that joined at nearly 14, as in, turned 14 while in BCT.

He retired as a CSM

Old July 16, 2018, 20:21   #25
Riversidesports
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowhand View Post
No, it was 17 with mama note, not 15.

Back then, everything was paper, no connected computers for this stuff.

Take the BC of a 15 yr old, use white out, change the 53 yob to read 50, use the raised stamp inside the recruiters desk drawer, muck up the original raised stamp a little, 15 yr old is now an 18 yr old.

Send kid off to tha Army, on security upgrade 3 and half yrs later, they check the original BC in the local court house, slap kid, say don;t do that shit again, grant security clearance, retires after 24 yrs.

The youngest I ever met, was a staff sgt at the time that joined at nearly 14, as in, turned 14 while in BCT.

He retired as a CSM
Brother, I'll take your word on that

there were a few real young boys up here that dropped out of school to do war games back then. All came sort of back, just chronically messed up head wise.

Some freaked out badly when the community absorbed Viet and Hmong back in the 70s. Buddies older brother used to jump the curb in his pickup in attempts to run the "Gooks" down

There was a lovely Japanese lady, came back as a war bride in like 1950
In the 60s I still remember vets spitting on the sidewalk in front of her
not many but it was a VFW thing with maybe five of those loser bitches from that club always half drunk and spoiling for a fight.
thing was not a single one of the hard core assholes had ever seen actual combat, everyone of them never left America
Big War Heros huh...

Growing up I became intolerant of this shit
The lead loud mouth spent the War as damn' Cook playing, lying he was this hard boned Combat guy
when I was going on 15' assbag runs the curb. I get tossed into a field, broken collar bone. See pops had busted him the month prior. Back then, piggies would not touch him, Well he's a Vet shit
thing was five years later I beat that asshole badly, died a few years back with the scars I laced on his face.
run me over fat bastard ?

actual combat Vets
I'm respectful
moreover they don't push opinion much these days

no time for the rest
Old July 16, 2018, 20:25   #26
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowhand View Post

Old July 16, 2018, 20:46   #27
perryturner
Veteran Member
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 6271
I've got a cousin who managed to get in the USAF at 15 back in the 70s. He was walking security around B-52s on Guam when they came and got him.
perryturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2018, 22:24   #28
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by perryturner View Post
I've got a cousin who managed to get in the USAF at 15 back in the 70s. He was walking security around B-52s on Guam when they came and got him.
I was pulling drop zone medical coverage, after a pay jump @ Bragg for a buddy who had the flu and rode back in early, when they came and nabbed me.