The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The L1A1, inch-pattern, and Indian Files

Notices

Old March 20, 2017, 17:48   #1
cone2245
Registered

FALaholic #: 79288
Century L1A1 not cycling

Hey Y'all, I'm new to the forum, and the FAL, and in need of some expert opinions. I've always wanted an FAL type rifle, and I got a Century L1A1 on an Imbel receiver two weeks ago, knowing she would need work. I took her to the range, and she functioned and cycled decently using PMC and Tulammo 308, with the gas setting on 2, 1, or 0. Then that day I had a case head separation and since then she isn't cycling. Sometimes the bolt would move back a half inch then stay in place. Last week I went to shoot her, after cleaning the gas system and replacing the stupid rail she came with for British handguards, and the gun still didn't cycle, and kicked like a mule. I just took the gas system apart today and noticed the pin for the gas tube is missing (I did replace it after cleaning it for the first time) and the tube was moving freely, so perhaps that was the root of the issue.
The gas block has some heavy pitting and corrosion. There is considerable slop and movement of the plug (with piston installed), and the ears to catch the detent are worn/corroded away. My guess is that the block is so beat that the gas is going out the front instead of contacting the piston, based on carbon that was heavily present on the sling. I have a new gas block in hand, and I am 99% sure the gas block is the issue and I'm ready to replace it, but I would appreciate y'all's expert opinion before I spend anymore time and money.
[IMG][/IMG]
cone2245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20, 2017, 17:52   #2
cone2245
Registered

FALaholic #: 79288
Images didn't post... bare with me...

http://imgur.com/bX8EFXm
http://imgur.com/LxJKZIy
http://imgur.com/jRzJYmU
cone2245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20, 2017, 22:03   #3
thisismyboomstick
Registered

FALaholic #: 19105
If you need a new inch gas block there are a bunch here for a reasonable price:

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=403007

Some Century sporters have barrels that are absolutely toast. They can still be headspaced but the chamber diameter is so waller'd out that it allows excessive case expansion at the base. Check your fired case diameters.

Don't use steel cased ammo in a FAL.
thisismyboomstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2017, 19:14   #4
Augdog
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 504
Another concern, besides the gasblock corrosion, would be the barrel and headspace. If that gas block is original to the barrel I can only imagine what the bore and chamber may look like and the is a chance the case head separation was caused by excessive head space. Hate to say it but the rifle may need to gun to a gunsmith the be evaluated. You could try your luck with just a gas block, but at least have the headspace checked.
Old March 22, 2017, 20:44   #5
msnyder
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 1085
Quote:
Originally Posted by cone2245 View Post
I just took the gas system apart today and noticed the pin for the gas tube is missing .
That would explain why it's not cycling. You need the pin to keep the gas tube in place.
msnyder is online now   Reply With Quote