The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Discussion Forums > General Non-Firearms Discussion

Notices

Old September 11, 2019, 14:41   #1
Invictus77
The Colonel 1C16:13
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74205
WTK - 2016 F150 4X4 V8 reviews - any info?

Hey gents

A 2016 F150 Super-crew, 4X4, V8 XLT has popped up on my horizon with only 30K miles and at what KBB says is a fair price. It's even the right color-RED!

Anyone here have one and experiences on it, positive or negative?

I've not been really shopping for a truck, but my current daily driver is now over 200K. This one popped up and it may be time for a switch.

PS - My Dad subscribes to Consumer Reports and is checking out their comments.
Old September 11, 2019, 15:23   #2
pistolero1911
Registered

FALaholic #: 75616
I believe that all 2016 F-150s are aluminum bodied. This can be both a pro and a con.:

Pro - very resistant to corrosion.
Con - very expensive to repair collision damage.

Also the EPA mileage average suffered somewhat with the aluminum vehicles not being as efficient as advertised.
Old September 11, 2019, 16:08   #3
MACV
Registered

FALaholic #: 1167
I've had better luck with Chevy's. My last 4 trucks have been Chevy's. minimal amounts of trouble with them. I haven't had a Ford in 20 years. A few buddies drive Ford trucks and they seem to have more maint problems than I do. Ford and Dodge have a few more amenities than Chevy, like the heated tailgates.
Keeps your hands warm when you're pushing them in the winter.
Old September 11, 2019, 18:07   #4
Thorack
Acquisition Corp Dude
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 748
Well,

IIRC it has the proven 6 speed auto tranny. Thats a huge plus to me over the problems the current 10 speed is having.

Thorack

2. Never let Doctors cut on you unless its life or death and ALWAYS get a second opinion.
Thorack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11, 2019, 18:47   #5
kmurphy
Registered

FALaholic #: 29121
Great trucks. And collision repairs aren't too much more. Everything is rediculous now.
kmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11, 2019, 18:56   #6
nvcdl
Registered

FALaholic #: 1312
My 2007 and 2014 F-150 Crewcabs both had issues. Switched to a 2018 Silverado Crewcab and much happier. V8 power @ 18/24mpg on average
nvcdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11, 2019, 19:26   #7
Invictus77
Bronze Contributor

Gents.

I really want to hear specifically about the '16 F150 rather than making this a Ford/Chevy/Dodge discussion, but I do need to say, outside of oil changes and wiper blades, this is the complete repair history on my '07 F150 that I bought new. (I do not recall why the 170K mile brakes were crossed out on the list as they were replaced then???). There was a second driver side window switch replaced that did not make the list, but otherwise I think it is complete. I have zero complaints on the service of this pick-up.

This week, I lost coil pack #1 at 203K miles which is what has me thinking a bit about a replacement.

Last edited by Invictus77; September 11, 2019 at 19:54.
Invictus77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11, 2019, 19:32   #8
Tak
Registered

FALaholic #: 27291
Check for recalls. I seem to remember there was some weird seatbelt tensioner issue with the recent Ford trucks. It would burn out and render the truck inoperable.
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12, 2019, 06:46   #9
MilsurpMonkey
Red-headed Step Child
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 75965
The 5.0 v8 is really the way to go, I’m coming up on 90k on my 2014 bought new in Aug of 15. The engine/tranny combo is about bullet proof. The old Navistar 4.6 and 5.4 never impressed me, spent too much time working on them at Ford. The 5.0 truck motor beats the crap out of them. You also couldn’t pay me to own an eco boost turd. If a long lasting pickup is what you’re after, the v8 150 is your ride Mike. Just make sure to replace the 4x4 vacuum check valve and solenoid every few years, these trucks use vacuum to disengage the 4x4, leaks mean you chew up hubs.
Old September 12, 2019, 08:05   #10
jhend170
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 76477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Invictus77 View Post
Gents.

I really want to hear specifically about the '16 F150 rather than making this a Ford/Chevy/Dodge discussion, but I do need to say, outside of oil changes and wiper blades, this is the complete repair history on my '07 F150 that I bought new. (I do not recall why the 170K mile brakes were crossed out on the list as they were replaced then???). There was a second driver side window switch replaced that did not make the list, but otherwise I think it is complete. I have zero complaints on the service of this pick-up.

This week, I lost coil pack #1 at 203K miles which is what has me thinking a bit about a replacement.

My last truck was an '06 F150 4x4. I traded it in with 196k on the 4.6. I replaced the factory intake with a K&N, and added a leveling kit and new wheels and tires. That was the extent of any mods The only issues I ever had was:

At 96K miles, just as my extended warranty was about to expire, I had all 4 ball joints replaced, and the right front 4wd hub was broken and was also replaced under warranty.

Around 130k had a coil go out. Replaced them all with MSDs.

Around 170k the fuel pump impeller let go. Replaced fuel pump.

Got $7k trade in toward my F-250 as it was in great shape. If I get as good of service out of the '16 F-250 as I did the '06 F-150 I'll be quite happy.

I believe the 5.0 Coyote motors to be excellent, and the F-150 all around to be a great truck for the $$$. Helped a buddy track down and purchase a '13 with the 5.0 and he has had zero issues here near 100k. Boss drives an Expedition with the 5.0 50 miles each way daily, has 70K on her '17 model with zero issues. If you look at the rest of the parking lot here at work half the personal vehicles are F-150s of 2011 and newer. The only issues I've heard with any of them was 1 guy with a '16 had a Lariat with the sunroof and it leaked on him. After 3 repair attempts they allowed him to trade it on another with full payoff plus value. He went to an '18 XLT without issues. Another has a '15 King Ranch, and has had an issue with the AC zone control, which was fixed under warranty. As to running gear issues I've heard nothing bad from any of them.

As far as the engines go, if you're like me and plan to drive it for an extended period of time, I think the naturally-aspirated 5.0 is the way to go. It's tuned well below it's max for strength, and it simple and not much to go wrong with it. I also think it has to work less to tow. Wife's uncle has a '15 3.5 Turbo, gets about 19mpg unloaded, under 10 when towing a 16ft trailer with a couple of round hay bails on it. Seems like an excessive drop to me.

But, If you're a "trade it in every 3 years" type though get what you like, the turbo motors are fine, for longevity and reduced chances of problems I think the 5.0 is the way to go, and the only thing I might recommend above that in a new one is one of the new V-6 Powerstroke diesels. How I love my 6.7, with a light program making 530hp and 970ft/lbs, but you have to step up to the 250 for that.
jhend170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12, 2019, 08:33   #11
Incognito
Registered

FALaholic #: 1785
For what it's worth Ford was the only one of the big three that did not sign onto the government welfare program to stay afloat. So when it comes to domestic trucks I prefer to buy Ford. I just feel like since my tax dollars saved GM and Chrysler's butts; they already owe me a vehicle...or at least part of one. So until they pay up I don't plan on buying anything from them. That said, I would not purchase such an expensive item solely based on such philosophical grounds. I have heard the arguments about Ford vs. Chevy my whole life and they both seem to be about the same as far as reliability. Each has its own quirks. I do think all of the American made vehicles took a major nose dive in quality back in the 70's and 80's. I found in my experience the only exception to that general rule was the F150. It seems Ford had the smarts to know that they needed to keep up the quality on their flagship product. GM on the other hand seems to have had some years where they seemed to put out some real $hit. They usually had good basic mechanical quality; but a lot of the electrical, vacuum, interiors, etc. seemed to be really cheap and unreliable over time.

All that being said; I would always take a Japanese truck over an American truck if you are wanting quality. I think in recent years the American automakers have closed the gap but there is just something about the culture at the Japanese automakers that drives them to want to make quality automobiles. None of the Ford's, Chevy's, or Dodge's that I have been around hold a candle to the longevity and overall quality of the Toyota's and Nissan's. Yes, there are the exceptions. And when I was shopping for my latest Ford truck I saw a great many Ford trucks for sale with over 300k miles on them. But the maintenance cost to get an American car to 300k is way more than the Japanese counterparts in my experience.

All that bla bla bla but the bottom line is my opinion would be that if the Ford is a good deal I would not be afraid of it at all. I would just know that it is not going to be as good as the Japanese equivalent; but then the Japanese trucks cost more now so you get what you pay for. Faced with this dilema 3 years ago I bought a Ford. I figure with the money I saved buying an American truck over the Japanese truck; I could spend that money on good quality foreign made rifles and save myself the torture and embarrassment of having to buy cheap American made AR15's.
Incognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12, 2019, 11:00   #12
hkshooter
Mighty Fine!
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 5391
Fascinating.

I77, I know nothing about the 2016 F150, having never owned one I have nothing to offer. But good luck in your quest for knowledge.
Old September 12, 2019, 11:56   #13
lew
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 16727
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorack View Post
Well,

IIRC it has the proven 6 speed auto tranny. Thats a huge plus to me over the problems the current 10 speed is having.

Thorack
That 6 speed and the 5L Coyote is the best powertrain yet put in a truck.

Invictus: No experience with the '16, but my '13 SuperCrew has been phenomenal. 104k and the only issue other than regular maintenance was a cantankerous rear door lock, which has since been remedied.

"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence." -Christopher Hitchens

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." -H.L. Mencken
lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12, 2019, 14:22   #14
ftierson
Registered

FALaholic #: 13827
Red is the worst paint color in terms of UV 'damage'...

Ask me how I know...

Other than that, sounds like a good deal...

Forrest
ftierson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12, 2019, 15:37   #15
Invictus77
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftierson View Post
Red is the worst paint color in terms of UV 'damage'...
Perhaps, but my daily driver has been a red Ford pick-up of some flavor or another for almost 40 years. My first truck when I turned 16 was a '76 F150 and have have stood by me well ever since.
Old September 12, 2019, 15:46   #16
Invictus77
Bronze Contributor

Thanks to all for your input, much appreciated.

I went to see & drive this truck today and it ticked all my important boxes.

F150 4-door = check
4WD = check
XLT package = check
V8 engine = check
6 speed automatic = check
Flip-up center console = check
Tow package = check
Under 30K miles = check
Under $32K = check (personal pet peeve)
Bright red = check

...and so, it is now mine

Old September 12, 2019, 15:53   #17
12v71
Registered

FALaholic #: 71127
Nice!!! Maybe you should take it on a shakedown cruise to Washington next week?

"Freedom is not a crime"

I'm a heavy equipment mechanic because brain surgery was far too easy.
12v71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12, 2019, 16:19   #18
ftierson
Registered

Looks very nice.

Congratulations...

Forrest
Old September 12, 2019, 17:34   #19
hkshooter
Mighty Fine!
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 5391
Congrats.
Old September 12, 2019, 17:42   #20
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34604
Looks nice and it's a pretty decent deal if you like Found On Road Deads. I shopped Fords when I was looking around. Prices are not bad. But down here that truck would be a damn hell of a deal at $32K with those miles, 4X4 and a V8. Hope it serves you well. Let us know about MPG. I took the Tundra out on the road last weekend and the highway mileage running 80 was worse than putting around in town.

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.
meltblown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12, 2019, 19:52   #21
MilsurpMonkey
Red-headed Step Child
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 75965
Congrats Mike! As previously stated the 5.0/6spd is the best combo yet in the 150. With my steel body I get 17/20 mpg average with a good mix of town and hwy. serious about those 4x4 vacuum parts though, cheap to replace and prevents a grand in damage to hubs and cv shafts.
Old September 12, 2019, 20:56   #22
pistolero1911
Registered

FALaholic #: 75616
Beautiful pickup you have there Mike. Treat her well! p.s. That was a smokin' good deal for an under 30K 4X4.
Old September 12, 2019, 21:20   #23
HenryIV
Registered

FALaholic #: 80384
Nice Truck.

Im still loving my 2014 F150 super crew.

Im sure your new truck will serve you well.
HenryIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12, 2019, 23:23   #24
MACV
Registered

FALaholic #: 1167
This time of year is the best time to buy a new truck. I got $10,000 knocked off sticker on my 2011 and close to $11,000 off on my 2015. They gave me pretty good deals on my trades too. Big mark up on used trucks around here. This time of year they need to make room for 2020s.
JMHO

Last edited by MACV; September 13, 2019 at 03:18.
MACV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13, 2019, 08:06   #25
MordeanGrey
Registered

FALaholic #: 457
I have a 2015 XLT very similar to yours, except mine is silver and has the turbocharged V6.

I bought it used with 32k miles in 2017 and it has been great. Comfortable, reliable, and makes almost 24 mpg on the highway.

I've absolutely loved it so far.
MordeanGrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15, 2019, 13:37   #26
V guy
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 10282
My '09 XLT 5.4 Supercab, will be around for few more years putting $$$$ in my pocket. I hope not to have to replace for 4 more years.

I now know of 5 friends/acquaintences who own the 2.7 and 3.5 turbo V6's.
The 2.7 tows heavy loads as well as my 5.4. The 3.5 is a monster.

I would say that unless towing a lot, those turbos will not get hot enough in my opinion.
V guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16, 2019, 12:55   #27
jhend170
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 76477
Congrats, good looking ride there... About as close to the KISS rule as you can get in 4wd these days. Should have at least 170k of service left in 'er. Enjoy.
jhend170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16, 2019, 13:14   #28
easttex
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 20438
Quote:
Originally Posted by MordeanGrey View Post
I have a 2015 XLT very similar to yours, except mine is silver and has the turbocharged V6.

I bought it used with 32k miles in 2017 and it has been great. Comfortable, reliable, and makes almost 24 mpg on the highway.

I've absolutely loved it so far.
Take care of those turbochargers! My 2013 3.5L is presently having the right side turbo replaced which is not cheap.

Molon labe
easttex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16, 2019, 15:48   #29
MordeanGrey
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by easttex View Post
Take care of those turbochargers! My 2013 3.5L is presently having the right side turbo replaced which is not cheap.
Anything special you recommend for servicing them or otherwise maintaining them?
Old September 16, 2019, 16:03   #30
Whydah
Registered

FALaholic #: 74237
Wow! 18/24 MPG!

My 2010 Titan grudgingly does about 15 with an after-market exhaust and K&N cold air intake. It does sound good and runs like a scalded dog, not to mention its paid for.

But, man.... I would love 18/24mpg!

Maybe next truck.
Whydah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16, 2019, 16:08   #31
ftierson
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whydah View Post
Wow! 18/24 MPG!

My 2010 Titan grudgingly does about 15 with an after-market exhaust and K&N cold air intake. It does sound good and runs like a scalded dog, not to mention its paid for.

But, man.... I would love 18/24mpg!

Maybe next truck.
Just keep in mind that getting a lot of power out of a small engine comes with a price...

Forrest
Old September 16, 2019, 16:26   #32
Invictus77
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistolero1911 View Post
That was a smokin' good deal for an under 30K 4X4.
I thought so too and it is a "magic number" for me. I paid $32K for my first house when I was 20 y/o. The idea of writing a check to buy a personal pick-up for more shekals than I paid for a house really gets to me. A new one like it (as you all probably know) is in the +/- $50K range, which is about what I sold my first house for after an addition and a complete remodel. They want that much for a fuggen half ton pick-up now?

Assuming this one gives me a good service life for a few years, I suspect this one will be the last time I can embrace that particular pet-peeve, but I was able to pull it off this one last time
Old September 16, 2019, 16:32   #33
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 4653
Good show Mike! She's a beaut and should give you years of good service.

I like red Ford 4x4s too. Our 2002 FX4x4:

My daddy was a cowboy in his younger days, wild as the west Texas wind. He once told me, "Son, death is a horse you got to ride. So you better get your saddle ready."-Mick "Pappy" Connors

heavily armed, easily pissed.

Last edited by Texgunner; September 16, 2019 at 16:47.
Texgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16, 2019, 18:26   #34
Whydah
Registered

FALaholic #: 74237
Quote:
Just keep in mind that getting a lot of power out of a small engine comes with a price...

Forrest
I didn't think a 5.6L was that small at a stock 317hp before improvements. Maybe so, but it sure makes the Ford and Chevy owners wince. *laugh*
Whydah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16, 2019, 19:11   #35
easttex
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 20438
Quote:
Anything special you recommend for servicing them or otherwise maintaining them?
I asked my mechanic the very same question and his answer was: running full synthetic oil, staying on top of oil changes, and not thrashing the engine too hard.

My truck has ~108,000 miles on it so I guess something was bound to give out sooner or later.

Molon labe
easttex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16, 2019, 19:31   #36
ftierson
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whydah View Post
I didn't think a 5.6L was that small at a stock 317hp before improvements. Maybe so, but it sure makes the Ford and Chevy owners wince. *laugh*
It isn't, but you were talking about, perhaps, getting one of the newer ones with better gas mileage. Gas mileage is somewhat of a relative thing. Getting higher HP out of a smaller engine using a turbocharger certainly has an effect on overall engine life, and that's where all the truck manufacturers are going...

Your 5.6l should be just fine, but that's in a 2010... Newer means smaller...

I currently have three Fords, a 1984 Bronco Full-Size (and red, don't you know ) with the eternal 4.9l straight six (and carborated, to boot), a 2004 Explorer (4x4, of course) with the 4.6l V8 and a 2005 Expedition (4x4 also, of course) with the standard Triton 5.4l V8. Since the Expedition has a 4x2 lockout ability and the Explorer is Auto 4x4 at best, the Expedition gets about the same highway mileage.

I am very happy with the vehicles.

Of course, since 2011, the Ford Explorers are just a Taurus with a different body (OK, so slight exaggeration, so sue me), I don't need one. And current Expeditions are smaller and much lighter with a 3.5l engine (relatively snappy, but still). I'm sure that the 3.5l will outlast the 5.4l in this vehicle (and I have some Martian sea-front property for sale, too).

Yes, the Triton engines have some weak points (mostly ignition coil pack/spark plug related), but not many... And they do have some guts...

Forrest
Old September 16, 2019, 19:38   #37
Invictus77
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
It's even the right color-RED!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texgunner View Post
I like red Ford 4x4s too.
Quote:
and red, don't you know
You all seem to think I like red vehicles or something????

Old September 16, 2019, 23:46   #38
the gman
Registered

FALaholic #: 5179
My agency will eventually be all F150 replacing Crown Vics, Chevy Caprice, (Aussie made with an LS3 engine, fast but no good on snow) Chevy Silverado that we found were absolute junk for cop work and the Ford Explorer. Our fleet LT is a good friend and reports almost zero issues on the F150's bar oil and filter changes. Ford are upgrading the Explorer to be bigger, kind of a Expedition lite or something which is going to push the price out of our reach. State pricing on new F150 is $27K. I've got him finding out if we can do individual officer purchases at that rate...

I was just issued a new Explorer 7 weeks ago and it had 219 miles when I got it. Now close to 5K and average mpg is 13. Previous to that I had a Caprice and by God it was quick. I had it to 147 in the catch up phase of a pursuit and didn't even feel it. We bought them for $13K each new but they have been a little bit of a problem on maintenance with consistent problems with AC, keeping them properly aligned so they track straight and some other issues. The Silverado's we bought were absolute crap. Constant issues with overheating, brake failure (not just fading, just not working!) and are crazy expensive to repair. Get shit mileage too.

Congrats on the new truck, one of those is in my future too...

God is on the side, not of the big battalions, but of the best shots- Voltaire

The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
-Alexis de Tocqueville
the gman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18, 2019, 11:17   #39
Incognito
Registered

FALaholic #: 1785
Quote:

F150 4-door = check
4WD = check
XLT package = check
V8 engine = check
Tow package = check
Under 30K miles = check
Bright red = check

Ha! Mine is also red. No pictures though
Incognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18, 2019, 16:22   #40
MordeanGrey
Registered

Be aware that the stock Wrangler tires they issue on the truck are quiet and smooth riding and get good mileage on the highway, but they suck in wet or snowy conditions.

Mine are the original tires and have almost 60k miles on them with decent tread left, but they are going to get replaced before winter this year.

Quote:

F150 4-door = check
4WD = check
XLT package = check
V8 engine = check
Tow package = check
Under 30K miles = check
Bright red = check

Old September 18, 2019, 17:52   #41
ftierson
Registered

Quote:
Be aware that the stock Wrangler tires they issue on the truck are quiet and smooth riding and get good mileage on the highway, but they suck in wet or snowy conditions.

Mine are the original tires and have almost 60k miles on them with decent tread left, but they are going to get replaced before winter this year.
My Bronco came with the Wranglers, and they were OK when new. I replaced them with Bridgestone Desert Duelers the first couple of times until they became so expensive that I almost had to take out a car loan to buy tires. I then switched to a Peerless Tires clone of the dueler, which I have been very happy with.

When I bought the Expedition (used), it came with almost new BF Goodrich P265/70R17 Long Trail T/A M+S tires (a highway tire). Before I bought the vehicle, I checked out reviews of the tires online. I still remember the first review, which went something like, "These tires will last forever, but you won't want them to... Rain, snow, leaves, banana peels, and you won't be going anywhere." Kind of stuck in my mind...

Forrest

Last edited by ftierson; September 18, 2019 at 22:12. Reason: forgot to add the Long Trail name
Old Yesterday, 11:57   #42
lew
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 16727
Invictus: Good score.

My '13 SuperCrew came with Wranglers. They were great on road and decent at best off. I could expect slipping on rocks if they were at all wet. Switched to Michelin Defenders as the Wranglers were due for replacement. They are quiet on road and get the same mileage- to say "good"- and they have great traction off road.

"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence." -Christopher Hitchens

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." -H.L. Mencken
lew is offline   Reply With Quote