The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > General Firearms Discussion

Notices

Old June 06, 2017, 11:17   #1
Impala_Guy
Registered

FALaholic #: 55819
Had what I felt was an attempted break in at the house last night

Wife and I woke up to the doorbell ringing multiple times last night,so I grabbed my .45 and went to investigate. I only opened the door halfway, keeping that half holding the gun hidden behind the door, a tall, lanky kid is standing there and asks if he could use my phone. Claimed he was 16 and from the next hood over. Could have been 16 or he might have been 22 so I asked him what the problem was and why he didn’t go home. He mumbled something about his parents were going to kill him and could he call a friend, so I told him I wasn’t getting involved in someone else's family business. Then I asked him did he need a ride home or help from the cops. He told me no so I told him firmly that I couldn’t help him and closed and locked the door. I'm pretty sure he wasn't high but I do think he was testing doors. Don’t let anybody in your house, and always keep greater than an arms length between yourself and people at the door, and have a plan in case.
Old June 06, 2017, 11:59   #2
hagar
Registered

FALaholic #: 228
You were being probed, what frigging 16 year old don't have a cellphone these day... He may be back, hope you have alarm system and cameras.

Invest in a ditch witch, for digging long narrow holes!
hagar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 06, 2017, 12:15   #3
fuel fire desire
Registered

FALaholic #: 71050
Massad Ayoob says.....dont open the door

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YD3zIA6vJkQ
fuel fire desire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 06, 2017, 12:48   #4
1911Ron
Registered

FALaholic #: 17513
Had something similar, a young women beating on the door claiming that Boyfriend/ husband was beating on her. We kept the security door locked and pistol behind my back and called 911. After doing a debrief we both concluded that it was either an attempt to case the place once she was in or a home invasion attempt.
Old June 06, 2017, 14:53   #5
Impala_Guy
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagar View Post
You were being probed, what frigging 16 year old don't have a cellphone these day... He may be back, hope you have alarm system and cameras.

Invest in a ditch witch, for digging long narrow holes!
You know what a big sumbitch I am. He got the message from my voice tone, probably knew I had a gun behind the door. Next time I'll answer the door bare ass naked and holding a shotgun at port arms. That'll cut down on the unnecessary chit chat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911Ron View Post
Had something similar, a young women beating on the door claiming that Boyfriend/ husband was beating on her. We kept the security door locked and pistol behind my back and called 911. After doing a debrief we both concluded that it was either an attempt to case the place once she was in or a home invasion attempt.
Yep, good friend of mine said the same thing happened to them in Massachusetts. Guy tried to push his way in claiming people were chasing him.
Old June 06, 2017, 15:55   #6
J. Armstrong
Minister of Amusement
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 13629
Had a similar experience one Saturday 1:30 a.m.. Reasonably well dressed young couple, early 20's at the oldest. "Conversed" through the doorside window. "Does Harry live here ? we're looking for Harry".
I informed them that if they didn't know where Harry lived they were likely to get an unpleasant education if they kept knocking on the doors of darkened homes at that hour. Didn't need to introduce them to JMBs finest, fortunately !!!

Casing the joint for sure.

“I respect the government only in the sense that I respect any other dangerous predator who views me as food.”

“The consolidation of the states into one vast empire, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of ruin which has overwhelmed all that preceded it.” Robert E. Lee
J. Armstrong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 06, 2017, 16:04   #7
RG Coburn
Registered

FALaholic #: 27406
Always ask to see their ID,a drivers license being the best. Take a photo of it.
If they won't show,shut door.
RG Coburn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 06, 2017, 16:24   #8
Brian in MN
Registered

FALaholic #: 289
The last time I had one of those the little prick put his thumb over the peephole in my door. I stepped aside in case he decided to shoot through the door and let him hear the AKM chambering a round. Then I asked him what the wanted. He decided that he had the wrong address.
Old June 06, 2017, 18:13   #9
easttex
Registered

FALaholic #: 20438
Yep. Had this exact situation happen to me before.

Let me set the picture for you:

My old house in East Texas is out the woods. By that I mean you drive nine miles out of town, leave the pavement and drive two more miles down an oil-top, then turn off the main road onto a county road, then turn onto another county road. My house is the only house on the left side and is bordered on three sides by a dense forest. All my neighbors, the few that I had, were old country black folks (great neighbors BTW!) whose homes lined the opposite side of the street but were out of sight on mine. Lastly the street I lived on was dead-end and we seldom got any traffic outside the occasional deer or hog hunter going accessing the deer lease gate a couple hundred yards away. So, in other words, we lived in a secluded area out in the woods.

So one night around 2:30AM my doorbell rings 4-6 times in rapid secession. We got so few visitors that I didn't even know I had a doorbell, much less who might be ringing it at this hour. I grab by .45 and plod down the hallway to front door. "Who's there?!?" A couple white kids who looked to be roughly 16-17 were standing and were begging/demanding that I come help them tow their van out of the mud. I'm still half asleep but this isn't making sense. Kids? at this hour? with no cell phones to call a buddy?!? Moreoever, they never gave me their name, nor would they really step into the light where I could see them. We conversed for a few moments through the door and I duly informed them that I was not opening it. That seemed to give them pause. I then offered through the door to call them a friend - they didn't have any just then - or a tow truck if they were stuck. The tow truck was OK with them. As I was pulling up the tow company's number, I asked them if they had any money to pay the wrecker with?? "NO! WE JUST REALLY NEED YOU TO TOW OUR VAN OUT OF THE MUD!" Well boys, that ain't happening. I'm not opening this door and since you don't have money for a tow truck or any friends, I guess I can't help you. You're going to have to figure something else out. With that, I guess they figured I was a lost cause, and walked slowly away into the gloomy night.

I asked my wife her opinion to which she replied "they're casing the house." Ok, so call the Sheriff's office for me. I grabbed my twelve gauge and slipped out the backdoor for a walk around. Way off down the hill I could here what sounded like an engine revving and I let the friendly sheriff's deputy know about it when he drove up 40 minutes later. If nothing else, he had a Tahoe so maybe he could give them a pull. Or turn them over to their parents; whatever.

In another time, I might've opened the door and helped these lads. But today, I am not so inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt. What were they doing out so late? Why did they walk all the way passed nine other homes to come to my house? I thought they might be sons of a friend of mine who hunted the lease - but they should've mentioned it if so. Most importantly, how is it they didn't have a cell phone?!? I suspect these lads might've snuck off in their mom's van, gone back-roading, and gotten stuck in the sandy creek bottom down the hill. However, I just couldn't risk my wife's or my safety to find out. If they really were just stuck, I figure the worst they had coming was an ass-chewing from their folks and I hoped they learned a valuable lesson about how/where to drive and how to unstick yourself. If they weren't stuck however, and their intentions were nefarious, I had foiled their plans. I'll never know. I just know I wasn't going to open the door to any strangers in the middle of night that far out of town. If something had happened the law would take at least a half hour to get there.

Meanwhile, my big "mean" female American Bulldog was asleep in her doghouse in the backyard. She was laying on her back with all four paws in the air, and her jowls splayed out snoring so loud it rattled the roof. I'd bought her as a deterrent to this sort of thing but I guess she only works first and second shift.

Molon labe
easttex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 06, 2017, 18:14   #10
1911Ron
Registered

FALaholic #: 17513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian in MN View Post
The last time I had one of those the little prick put his thumb over the peephole in my door. I stepped aside in case he decided to shoot through the door and let him hear the AKM chambering a round. Then I asked him what the wanted. He decided that he had the wrong address.
Old June 06, 2017, 19:47   #11
Impala_Guy
Registered

Neighbors tell me he tried this on several houses, no doubt making note of who was home, who was elderly, did a woman answer the door at 1am etc. B&E crews and dope heads looking for a score to pay for their next fix pay teenagers for this information.
Old June 06, 2017, 19:53   #12
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34604
Sounds to me that you are being a little to friendly to strangers. Pungee sticks would be nice. Yep, I lived in a little nice duplex place in South Florida. They were checking as I thought I dreamed someone knocked on the door. I couple of weeks the jimmied the sliding glass window and made off with stuff. Not too much that was really valuable as the guns were hid. After that, you knock on my door after night out here in the sticks, it's not what you want to do.

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.
meltblown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 06, 2017, 21:10   #13
wanneroo
Registered

FALaholic #: 74891
Where I live, it's far enough off the road that if you are at my door or simply on my property after dark, it's not there for friendly reasons. The house cannot be seen from the road and one trick I think that works is the driveway entrance looks like it goes to a neighbors house. My rural road gets steady traffic during the day but at night there might be 1-2 cars an hour, if that.

Back years ago when I was kid and lived in Lawton, OK, the house we had in a neighborhood had the back fence up next to a storage unit facility. There were so many burglaries of this storage place the city actually put a frigging city street lamp in our backyard and to discourage fence hoppers into our backyard my dad planted russian olive trees that are thorny as hell along the fence. The lighting worked and the burglary problem went away.

Lesson learned and where I live now I have a big street lamp that lights up the whole field of fire in front of the house and hundreds of feet down the driveway. In addition to that there is bright motion sensor lighting all around the house and barn. Also walking through the woods for someone is going to be painful and noisy. I have let dense brush and berry brambles grow up along the property line and it's thick as a wall.
wanneroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 06, 2017, 21:28   #14
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

FALaholic #: 12090
Common practice down here to see who is home and who answers the door. The not at homes are prey for that evening. The ones who open the door are evaluated as the next victim - age, sex, and mobility.

When I come to the door, I go to the front side door, not the front door with the bell. I never hide my weapon, pistol or rifle, letting the person who is ringing my doorbell that I am ready for funny business. It is my property and our laws say I can open carry here on it. Normally they get told to head on down the road cause I called the cops.

Lt. Col. Grant L. Rosensteel, Jr. USAF

If you do in fact have a problem, you have the rest of your life to solve it. How long your life lasts only depends on how well you solve it.
tac-40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 06, 2017, 22:00   #15
fuel fire desire
Registered

FALaholic #: 71050
This thread reminds me of this Kel Tec ad....

Not that opening a locked exterior door to a threat is a good idea....BUT, if things go south in a hurry, a short little rifle like this hidden behind your back can be employed in a hurry.
fuel fire desire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 07, 2017, 01:10   #16
BiGB808
Registered

FALaholic #: 18195
Ya a rifle round leaving from 2 feet away is bad news. Do ear drums burst when you shoot a x51 in a closed room?
Old June 07, 2017, 03:12   #17
Artful
Registered

FALaholic #: 10191
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiGB808 View Post
Ya a rifle round leaving from 2 feet away is bad news. Do ear drums burst when you shoot a x51 in a closed room?
No, but you will have a continuous ring (tinnitus) the rest of your life

- Don't do it without a can on that muzzle.
Old June 07, 2017, 05:53   #18
Registered

FALaholic #: 66611
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiGB808 View Post
I always carry a set of ear plugs in my left front pocket..Just in case. The wife thinks I'm nuts but you just never know. so if you see me reaching into my left front pocket...You may want to cover your ears.
1769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 07, 2017, 05:58   #19
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 1211
THIS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuel fire desire View Post

Ask me about the Mason-Dixon FAL Collectors Association.
W.E.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 07, 2017, 06:02   #20
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG Coburn View Post
Always ask to see their ID,a drivers license being the best. Take a photo of it.
If they won't show,shut door.
DO NOT OPEN THE GODDAM DOOR TO STRANGERS!!!

ESPECIALLY IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT!!!

WHAT THEFUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE???!!!

Old June 07, 2017, 14:23   #21
Impala_Guy
Registered

Probably just as well he left. I just read a New York Times article that says I probably would wind up shooting myself if any trouble had started
Old June 07, 2017, 15:24   #22
RG Coburn
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.E.G. View Post
DO NOT OPEN THE GODDAM DOOR TO STRANGERS!!!

ESPECIALLY IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT!!!

WHAT THEFUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE???!!!
Okay...shove it under the door....

I might open the door and toss my cat at his face.....
Old June 08, 2017, 14:34   #23
RG Coburn
Registered

Anybody know of any cute,hot strippers in W.E.G.'s AO? Might be worth a couple hundred buck to have her ring his doorbell,shake herjiggly ta-ta's,and break his will on the "don't ever open the door" policy...
You like Ta-ta's....dontcha?
Old June 08, 2017, 14:35   #24
BiGB808
Registered

FALaholic #: 18195
Strippergram.....

Haha...youd get me with that honeytrap
Old June 09, 2017, 15:21   #25
hagar
Registered

FALaholic #: 228
Not these characters by any chance?

http://www.wistv.com/story/35628166/...-burglary-case

hagar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 09, 2017, 15:51   #26
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG Coburn View Post
Anybody know of any cute,hot strippers in W.E.G.'s AO? Might be worth a couple hundred buck to have her ring his doorbell,shake herjiggly ta-ta's,and break his will on the "don't ever open the door" policy...
You like Ta-ta's....dontcha?
We already have those here.

Mostly Romanian, or from some such parts if the accent is any indication.
I have the hose set up. Can activate it by sneaking out the side-door.

Old June 09, 2017, 19:30   #27
nopec
Registered

FALaholic #: 72693
Nothing beats a couple of large dogs fighting over who gets to "greet" whomever is at the door to eliminate situations like these.
nopec is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2017, 23:17   #28
aussiedave
Registered

FALaholic #: 7307
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impala_Guy View Post
You know what a big sumbitch I am. He got the message from my voice tone, probably knew I had a gun behind the door. Next time I'll answer the door bare ass naked and holding a shotgun at port arms. That'll cut down on the unnecessary chit chat.

Yep, good friend of mine said the same thing happened to them in Massachusetts. Guy tried to push his way in claiming people were chasing him.
that is how I answer the door to the various religious trespassers I get up on my place. had a smartarse Mormon tell me he would be back with the police. I called the cops and had him arrested for trespassing.
Old June 11, 2017, 02:29   #29
Right Side Up
Registered

FALaholic #: 43
You dont want to play jesus to these creeps
Right Side Up is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 11, 2017, 03:23   #30
JonnyP
The Brit Hack
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 71631
Quote:
Originally Posted by nopec View Post
Nothing beats a couple of large dogs fighting over who gets to "greet" whomever is at the door to eliminate situations like these.
This.

My dogs go spastic when a stranger calls. If you want to go past that, it's on you. You'd have to be really determined tho.
JonnyP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 11, 2017, 07:54   #31
spider991
Registered

FALaholic #: 35820
Don't you people have dog?????? I know about 300 yards before anyone comes down my driveway(600 yard drive- I kow cause its yardage marked for special occasions)...when someone actually comes to the door it sounds horrible inside with my babies raising caine! Of course I would let my babies near bad guys, that's what I'm for..but it's a great early warning system.
spider991 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 11, 2017, 14:07   #32
Impala_Guy
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagar View Post
Not these characters by any chance?
Passing resemblance to the little skidmark in the top picture, but not the same. I have a new sign out next to my home security sign that says homeowner is armed and persons ringing the doorbell after 10pm will have the cops called on them immediately. I always sleep with my bedroom door locked and have chimes on the front, rear and bedroom doors so they can't sneak up on me even if they somehow manage to get past all my door and window alarms. Gun is on the bedtable with a round in the chamber. Prefer a Glock or that CZ 75 for carry, but my home answering service is either John Browning or a Ruger Redhawk shortie.

Last edited by Impala_Guy; June 11, 2017 at 14:17.
Impala_Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 11, 2017, 15:17   #33
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

Needs more trap door.

Old June 24, 2017, 04:08   #34
CTW
Registered

FALaholic #: 41894
Do not ever open the door in the middle of the night to anybody you do not know!!!
Old June 25, 2017, 14:28   #35
SWOHFAL
Registered

FALaholic #: 34346
I always think about what if they really are in some kind of trouble, but anyone who was would have no problem with the cops being called. I try to never open my door and let my dogs do the "meet and greet" for me. I just got signed up to NextDoor.com and get e-mail feeds about the burglaries and undesirables going around the area.

- Fyodor Dostoevsky
SWOHFAL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2017, 19:27   #36
chet
Registered

FALaholic #: 1082
I live quite a ways off the road. This paid for itself almost immediately.
chet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 03, 2017, 17:30   #37
V guy
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 10282
Massad is right. No one has your best interest at heart at that time of night.

Vengeance grudges, beat downs, and home invasion/robbery are your choices.
They need to draw you out, or just get inside (preferable).
If it repeats over a few weeks time, and they knock out your outside lights, then it is personal against you.

Drugs cost money and drug dealers do not take credit.

Sometimes simple harassment from juvenile taliban types, knocking on doors to be funny, has to be weighed against imprudent actions by you.

Cops hate responding to noises in the night calls, especially when a group of youts is out annoying a neighborhood area, and stealing gasoline and change from unlocked cars.... and drifting away by the time the cops come. Then you are the nutcase.....

Sorting it all out mentally, is like figuring out, what is outside the tent at night while hunting. No one is safe. Traffic on my dead end road at night is just nuts.............plenty of "casers".
V guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 15, 2017, 00:20   #38
Story
Registered

FALaholic #: 7638
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuel fire desire View Post

This. A thousand times, this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTW View Post
Do not ever open the door in the middle of the night to anybody you do not know!!!
Story is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2017, 07:01   #39
Slaughter
Veteran Member
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 73180
We NEVER EVER open the door to somebody we don't expect. We have a peep hole for that. We then have a locked/hardened front screen door.

We NEVER EVER answer the phone - 100% of our calls are screened.

I was trained by my parents to be courteous to strangers - those days are long gone (sorry Mom, I know you meant well God rest your soul)

My lovely partner-in-sin-and-crime just this weekend finished Chuck Taylor's 2-day intermediate defensive handgun class and between each series of drills, he runs a great number of likely scenarios to get you to THINK about what you just learned INCLUDING legal ramifications! Highly recommend it if you get the chance to take it in.

Next month wifey and I are going to his advanced course where he actually has you play out LIKELY defensive scenarios - - INCLUDING coming up out of a LazyBoy (yes, they bring one to the range!!), hostage situations, urban shooting scenarios. INCREASED stress levels.

Also, can't wait to GTFO California to Arizona Free State - another topic.
Slaughter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 13, 2017, 00:29   #40
Arx100
Registered

FALaholic #: 74257
Question

5 years ago had a guy show up at 4 am . Up north here it was 25 below that night ! I have a large home way off the country road . Kids had left the living room lights on all night and he could see them from the road . I had my 1911 with me and asked what was going on . His friends left him and he could not feel his hands . I sized him up and could see he was not a threat, I did let him in to use the phone . I think I ended up saving the guys limbs . Had he been a bad guy , they would have had to wait 3 months before they could have planted him in the ground . What a nasty cold winter that year . Always trust your gut .
Arx100 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 13, 2017, 04:39   #41
SWOHFAL
Registered

FALaholic #: 34346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaughter View Post
We NEVER EVER open the door to somebody we don't expect. We have a peep hole for that. We then have a locked/hardened front screen door.

We NEVER EVER answer the phone - 100% of our calls are screened.

I was trained by my parents to be courteous to strangers - those days are long gone (sorry Mom, I know you meant well God rest your soul)

My lovely partner-in-sin-and-crime just this weekend finished Chuck Taylor's 2-day intermediate defensive handgun class and between each series of drills, he runs a great number of likely scenarios to get you to THINK about what you just learned INCLUDING legal ramifications! Highly recommend it if you get the chance to take it in.

Next month wifey and I are going to his advanced course where he actually has you play out LIKELY defensive scenarios - - INCLUDING coming up out of a LazyBoy (yes, they bring one to the range!!), hostage situations, urban shooting scenarios. INCREASED stress levels.

Also, can't wait to GTFO California to Arizona Free State - another topic.
I don't have a peep hole and recommend you turn out your lights and pull the drapes before looking through one, as folks outside can tell someone is there by the change in illumination, thus cueing them in on shooting through the door.

- Fyodor Dostoevsky
SWOHFAL is online now   Reply With Quote