The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The FN Files

Notices

Old June 16, 2018, 04:49   #1
Orion the Hunter
Registered

FALaholic #: 62009
What Upper Should I Use on a R1 Build?

I have all the pieces parts to assemble an Pretoria R1...but am stumped on what to use for an Upper Receiver?

I have a few Type III Imbel Uppers left, but have those earmarked for other builds...and would like to consider using a Type II to match the Pretoria Lower.

I have heard that there are DS Arms Uppers to stay away from...and there are ones that will work ok. Any thoughts?

I have heard various reports on other manufactures...none of them really good. I guess Coonan (or whomever) that made the "R1 Stamped Collectors Upper" no longer makes them?

Any suggestions on what would be a good one to select?

Thanks,
Orion the Hunter
Orion the Hunter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 16, 2018, 06:04   #2
bigstick61
Registered

FALaholic #: 45299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion the Hunter View Post
I have all the pieces parts to assemble an Pretoria R1...but am stumped on what to use for an Upper Receiver?

I have a few Type III Imbel Uppers left, but have those earmarked for other builds...and would like to consider using a Type II to match the Pretoria Lower.

I have heard that there are DS Arms Uppers to stay away from...and there are ones that will work ok. Any thoughts?

I have heard various reports on other manufactures...none of them really good. I guess Coonan (or whomever) that made the "R1 Stamped Collectors Upper" no longer makes them?

Any suggestions on what would be a good one to select?

Thanks,
Orion the Hunter
Well an R1 upper would be the best if you can source one on the secondary market. DSA LMT-made or from Coonan's run from a while back. I suppose you could take a chance with one of DSA's in-house R1 receivers.

If it wasn't for the different mag well lightening cut shape you could probably modify a Type 2 into the correct configuration, assuming the work was done by a competent machinist.
bigstick61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2018, 10:36   #3
lew
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 16727
Type 1, 1.5 (R1), or 2 would all be correct for a Rhodesian build, with the R1 being the most common by far.

I have two DSA R1 uppers, and they're fine.

"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence." -Christopher Hitchens
lew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2018, 13:18   #4
bigstick61
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by lew View Post
Type 1, 1.5 (R1), or 2 would all be correct for a Rhodesian build, with the R1 being the most common by far.

I have two DSA R1 uppers, and they're fine.
Only one is correct for an R1 kit like he describes, though.
Old June 18, 2018, 01:50   #5
Orion the Hunter
Registered

FALaholic #: 62009
Is there a picture anywhere of a Type 1 vs 1.5?

I get the difference between a Type 1, Type 2 & Type 3....

But am dumbfounded on a Type 1.5?????????

Does anyone have a pic of a Type 1...Type 1.5 and Type 2 all lined up so we can see the difference?

I ran some searches, but not much luck....
Orion the Hunter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2018, 06:49   #6
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34604
The 1.5 is more radiused. You can tell by looking at the recoil plate on the bottom step. The type 1 is almost square.

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.
meltblown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2018, 07:19   #7
crashmaniac
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 78557
I am or was in the same boat as to the difference and could still be wrong, but from what I could find, the 1.5 upper is lightning cut like a type one, with the one long curved Lightening cut on both sides of the upper. The difference is in the cut itself with the 1.5s. Instead of a 90° angle cuts, the lightening cut is rounded or curved to almost match the curve of the step on the recoil plate on a type 2 lower.

Type 1.5 curved cut

Type 1 90° cut
"And what country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms. The remedy is to set them right as to facts, pardon and pacify them. What signify a few lives lost in a century or two? The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. ".
--Good OL' TJ

Last edited by crashmaniac; June 18, 2018 at 09:37.
crashmaniac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2018, 07:31   #8
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34604
^^^^yep

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.
meltblown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2018, 07:32   #9
pl521
Registered

FALaholic #: 74645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion the Hunter View Post
I get the difference between a Type 1, Type 2 & Type 3....

But am dumbfounded on a Type 1.5?????????

Does anyone have a pic of a Type 1...Type 1.5 and Type 2 all lined up so we can see the difference?

I ran some searches, but not much luck....
Here is an old that may help you.

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showt...=292116&page=2
pl521 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2018, 11:41   #10
lew
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstick61 View Post
Only one is correct for an R1 kit like he describes, though.
With the way they frequently swapped parts around, all would work.

"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence." -Christopher Hitchens
Old June 18, 2018, 12:03   #11
imacoonass01
Registered

FALaholic #: 80275
Quote:
With the way they frequently swapped parts around, all would work.
Used whatever was available, to keep them running; especially towards the end of the war.
Old June 19, 2018, 18:57   #12
enbloc8
Registered

FALaholic #: 51665
The most "defining" cut on a South African R1 receiver is the one on the right side of the mag well. Belgian type 1s and 2s have a quadrilateral cut; ARMSCOR simplified the cuts and used a larger end mill. The end result is rounded at the front instead of having two angles...it's more of a triangular cut, three machine moves instead of four to cut the outline.

That said, if it would help, Rhodesia did have a FEW type 2 FNs that somehow made it (by hook or by crook) into their hands. They show up on occasion in photos.
enbloc8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2018, 03:47   #13
bigstick61
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by imacoonass01 View Post
Used whatever was available, to keep them running; especially towards the end of the war.
Most examples I've seen photos of and most matching parts kits that I've seen seem pretty consistent parts-wise. Maybe a little mixing here and there with smaller parts, but the major parts are typically consistent (they did tend to frequently swap out standard gas plugs for grenade sight ones on rifles that didn't come with them originally, though). I don't get the impression that they were swapping things willy-nilly, but maybe there's a reference about it that I haven't read, yet.

From the photos I've seen, generally, an R1 barrel and lower assembly will be mated with an R1 receiver.
Old June 20, 2018, 03:54   #14
bigstick61
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by enbloc8 View Post
The most "defining" cut on a South African R1 receiver is the one on the right side of the mag well. Belgian type 1s and 2s have a quadrilateral cut; ARMSCOR simplified the cuts and used a larger end mill. The end result is rounded at the front instead of having two angles...it's more of a triangular cut, three machine moves instead of four to cut the outline.

That said, if it would help, Rhodesia did have a FEW type 2 FNs that somehow made it (by hook or by crook) into their hands. They show up on occasion in photos.
The Belgian Type 1.5s are pretty much the same as the R1s except for that mag well cut that you mention. I think the Type 1.5s and another that is like a Type 1 except at the receiver ring, where it's cut like a Type 2, are transitional receiver types between the Type 1 and Type 2. Probably something already covered by one of the big reference books, although I don't have one to know for sure. Supposedly some of the earlier R1 receivers were sand-cut, too.

Rhodesia had quite the mix. Got m/962s and G-1s from Portugal, I've seen rifles or kits in pictures with Force Publique or ANC markings (some captured from rebels, presumably supplied by the Congo, and as I recall they also inherited some rifles impounded by the Federation from Katangese Gendarmes during the first Congo Crisis), and other FNs. And of course there are the two SA contract types. Someone posted a picture here the other day that appears to show a Rhodie-era rifle with a Type 3 receiver. I think pretty much everything from Type 1 to Type 3 could be found there (not to mention their Commonwealth and Indian rifles).

Type 1s were probably the most common aside from the SA Type 1.5s. At least that's my impression.
Old June 20, 2018, 11:25   #15
IRONWORKER
Registered

FALaholic #: 48581
One of the machine shops i work for will mill your T3 into a T1.5. If you’re interested PM me & I’ll put you into contact with him
Old July 10, 2018, 19:08   #16
raubvogel
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64403
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRONWORKER View Post
One of the machine shops i work for will mill your T3 into a T1.5. If you’re interested PM me & I’ll put you into contact with him
Butting in, interesting offer. I have a Type 3 which claims to be R1 and the lower I want to use is a DSA para one, which has that Type 1/2 cutout
raubvogel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2018, 18:26   #17
gunnut1
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 1877
IMHO, there is no such thing as a wrong upper receiver for a R1. They used what they had in Rhodesia. I have seen pictures of all three types. I still don't get the 1.5 type upper. I cannot tell the differance between a 1.5 and a 1. I have a type 2 on my R1 and there is a picture of a trooper carrying a FAL with a type 2.

So you cannot go wrong.

The human race is not the pinnacle of evolution. We are but one evolutionary out come.
gunnut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2018, 22:08   #18
lew
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnut1 View Post
IMHO, there is no such thing as a wrong upper receiver for a R1. They used what they had in Rhodesia. I have seen pictures of all three types. I still don't get the 1.5 type upper. I cannot tell the differance between a 1.5 and a 1. I have a type 2 on my R1 and there is a picture of a trooper carrying a FAL with a type 2.

So you cannot go wrong.
As long as it's not a Type 3 (if one has photographic evidence of one in Rhodesian service, by all means chime in), they're all good to go. Hold a Type 1 next to a Type 1.5/R1 and the difference in the radius cut is immediately apparent.

Old July 14, 2018, 16:39   #19
Toadvine
Registered

FALaholic #: 45602
Not to hijack the thread - but, what does a Pretorian R1 lower look like?

I've read different things about the radius of cut in the recoil plate, and people disagree about where serial numbers should be.

Horizontal or vertical locking lever?

It's confusing stuff.
Toadvine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2018, 16:58   #20
gunnut1
Gold Contributor

Do a search for a 1 5 upper receiver. I can't tell the differance between a 1 and a 1.5.

The human race is not the pinnacle of evolution. We are but one evolutionary out come.
Old July 14, 2018, 17:10   #21
Toadvine
Registered

FALaholic #: 45602
It's the lower I'm curious about.
Toadvine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2018, 17:47   #22
gunnut1
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadvine View Post
Not to hijack the thread - but, what does a Pretorian R1 lower look like?

I've read different things about the radius of cut in the recoil plate, and people disagree about where serial numbers should be.

Horizontal or vertical locking lever?

It's confusing stuff.
As I stated. There is no such thing as a correct R1. Maybe right after they came out of the factory they were correct. But if they went to Rhodeasia, they were repaired with what ever they had. Lew says there were no type 3 uppers. As far as I know, the lowers were not special. My R1 has a factory type 1 lowera and it is a Rhodesian/South African kit. Again, do a search. There are tons of pictures of R1s on the site.

Old July 14, 2018, 22:39   #23
bigstick61
Registered

Quote:
As long as it's not a Type 3 (if one has photographic evidence of one in Rhodesian service, by all means chime in), they're all good to go. Hold a Type 1 next to a Type 1.5/R1 and the difference in the radius cut is immediately apparent.
Someone posted a pic of a Rhodesian Type 3 in a recent thread. Definitely unusual. If it's an FN, would it have been shipped to the intended customer with a Type 2 lower?
Old July 14, 2018, 22:47   #24
bigstick61
Registered

Quote:

So you cannot go wrong.
Rhodesia didn't build R1s from parts. South Africa built them to a standard configuration. I have yet to see anything showing the the Rhodesians were swapping uppers with any frequency or jumbling rifles up. Sure, small parts more prone to breakage or wearing out were replaced, but the basic rifles would have remained intact. Absent exceptional damage, there would not have been a reason to swap such major parts.

Rhodesians used a variety of FALs, that much is true (G-1s and m/962s via Portugual, ANC-contract FNs, SA-contract FNs, Indian 1A1s, Aussie and Brit L1A1s, and various others). But an R1 is a specific model, and those came a specific way and didn't usually undergo major changes like replacing the receivers. The correct receiver for an R1 is an R1 receiver.

There are some variations on R1s themselves, such as use of some FN parts on some early ones, some of the first tens of thousands apparently had sand cuts (with the cuts on the bolt carriers being the zig-zag style), the switch from the vertical to horizonatal frame lock lever at some point, rifles that were made sanitized from the factory versus those that were not, and a couple of different styles of carry handle (which the Rhodesians usually, but not always, cut off or removed altogether).
Old July 14, 2018, 22:51   #25
bigstick61
Registered

Quote:
Do a search for a 1 5 upper receiver. I can't tell the differance between a 1 and a 1.5.
The front of the receiver is cut like a Type 2. The radius of the cuts on the rails is like that of a Type 2. On a South African 1.5, the magazine well cut has a different shape to it. Triangular with larger radii on the corners rather than quadrangular (Belgian 1.5s had no difference compared to Type 1s). The mag well cut is probably the most immediately obvious difference.

Not having access to the literature on the subject, my suspicion is that the Belgian Type 1.5s were a transitional type between the Type 1 and Type 2. FN also made a receiver that is like a Type 1 but is cut at the front like a Type 2 receiver. Not sure what the reason was for SA to go with the R1 receiver type.
Old July 15, 2018, 15:25   #26
gunnut1
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstick61 View Post
Rhodesia didn't build R1s from parts. South Africa built them to a standard configuration. I have yet to see anything showing the the Rhodesians were swapping uppers with any frequency or jumbling rifles up. Sure, small parts more prone to breakage or wearing out were replaced, but the basic rifles would have remained intact. Absent exceptional damage, there would not have been a reason to swap such major parts.

Rhodesians used a variety of FALs, that much is true (G-1s and m/962s via Portugual, ANC-contract FNs, SA-contract FNs, Indian 1A1s, Aussie and Brit L1A1s, and various others). But an R1 is a specific model, and those came a specific way and didn't usually undergo major changes like replacing the receivers. The correct receiver for an R1 is an R1 receiver.

There are some variations on R1s themselves, such as use of some FN parts on some early ones, some of the first tens of thousands apparently had sand cuts (with the cuts on the bolt carriers being the zig-zag style), the switch from the vertical to horizonatal frame lock lever at some point, rifles that were made sanitized from the factory versus those that were not, and a couple of different styles of carry handle (which the Rhodesians usually, but not always, cut off or removed altogether).

My point is simply this. You are correct. They did not build rifles from parts. But when a part broke, it was relplaced with whatever they had. And they probably did have a defective receiver from time to time so it would get replace with what ever they had. I am not suggesting that they jumbled up parts or took new rifles and put different parts on them. I am simply stating that they used what they had on hand with out regard of country of manufacture or brand. Kind of like so many other military rifles. When they get overhauled, the parts are put in a backet cleaned and refinished and the guns are reassembled from what ever parts come out first. The military could not care less about who built what part. They just guns that function.