The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The L1A1, inch-pattern, and Indian Files

Notices

Old July 08, 2018, 10:03   #1
m1shooter2
Registered

FALaholic #: 80917
CAI L1A1 Question

Hey all, recently found an SLR listed that's within my price range. I generally wouldn't bother with CAI, but this one is built on a Canadian receiver, so I'm thinking it might be OK in terms of quality. Is this a correct assumption, or should I not bother?
m1shooter2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 08, 2018, 10:18   #2
308/223shooter
FALAholic enabler
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 15405
If it says made in canada, in small font on the side of the magwell, it's not really a candian receiver. Likely a Imbel or a Argentine. Post some pics if you can si we can know for sure. How much is the seller asking fir it?

The biggest problem with religion is those who claim to know Jesus, then turn around and deny Him with their lifestyle. That is what a unbelieving world, simply finds unbelievable.

Before you die, you should have a will with extra copies. The old saying "No one will screw you faster than family" is bloody well true.
308/223shooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 08, 2018, 10:44   #3
Grahamneall
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 62175
As 223/308 states, I doubt the receiver was made in Canada, but the gun as a whole was put together in Canada at a CAI manufacturing facility.

They built a lot of Thumbhole conversions at the time, bastardizing a lot of Aussie & Brit L1A1'a and also their Canadian counterparts.

If it's an Argy receiver, or even Imbel (and not a Thumbhole conversion), you should be good to go.
Graham.
Tx
Grahamneall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 08, 2018, 10:56   #4
OLDMANPBK
Veteran Member
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 69978

"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery?"
-Patrick Henry-

Inside every progressive is a totalitarian screaming to get out.
OLDMANPBK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2018, 17:31   #5
eagle54
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 13033
Hi m1shooter2

I would not hesitate on buying what you found. It is an Imbel Receiver.. here is a pic of a receiver i have Stamped - Made In Canada . This is a metric receiver but Century Arms machined it to use the inch folding charging handel as seen in the pics. but you can use a metric charging handel also..

pics show the stamping, and where Century machined the receiver..

Hope this helps..

eagle54

eagle54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2018, 09:34   #6
Vogelm16
Registered

FALaholic #: 80908
What actually determines if you need shims the barrel or the receiver? ive got a century l1a1 receiver and a imbel metric barrel i need shims correct? Sorry im the new kid on the block
Vogelm16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2018, 09:49   #7
308/223shooter
FALAholic enabler
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 15405
You should only need breaching washers { the shims } on L1A1 barrels { Inch } , not on the FAL { metric } barrels.

The biggest problem with religion is those who claim to know Jesus, then turn around and deny Him with their lifestyle. That is what a unbelieving world, simply finds unbelievable.

Before you die, you should have a will with extra copies. The old saying "No one will screw you faster than family" is bloody well true.
308/223shooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2018, 14:36   #8
Vogelm16
Registered

FALaholic #: 80908
ok thank you. Going to put a metric imbel kit on an inch receiver trying to get my ducks in a row i appreciate the reply
Vogelm16 is offline   Reply With Quote