The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > To Keep and Bear Arms > Competitive Shooting

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 10, 2017, 21:10   #401
JerrySexton
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 76812
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Clay City, KY
Posts: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by beseventeen View Post

Are you doing anything different for training these next two weeks?


ARE YOU FREAKING READY?????????
I've ran a couple of full marathons in my younger (not so fat) days (plus some halfs) and one of the things I figured out early on is avoid the temptation to do a big last minute workout right before. You need to show up as fresh and rested as possible. Jitters will make you do crazy things at the last second and then you show up in recovery mode. Been there, done that and it makes for a bad bad day.

Nope. Still not ready but still working on it.
JerrySexton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2017, 21:12   #402
JerrySexton
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 76812
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Clay City, KY
Posts: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedKennedy View Post
Your eyes are your business, not mine.
Gotcha. Thanks.
JerrySexton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2017, 01:09   #403
Bama Steve
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 1982
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Where I am
Posts: 4,643
All of you guys doing this thing are inspirational for me.

Reading parts of this thread made me get out of my languishing in front of my PC and go out and take a long, hard, fast paced walk, stretch and lift some weights and it has improved my mental/physical demeanor beyond belief.


Keep going and keep posting this stuff!

Best!

__________________
Being dyslexic has a bright side - it's easy to put things back together
Bama Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2017, 06:20   #404
Nuttz
Semper Fidelis
Bronze Contributor
 
Nuttz's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 69873
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Virginia
Posts: 2,601
Joining us at the Winter Okie or the next Rockcastle Steve?
__________________
"He who controls the spice, controls the universe!" ― Frank Herbert
Nuttz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2017, 06:26   #405
TedKennedy
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 77344
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Sapulpa OK
Posts: 239
Y'all need to forget the jitters, and all this overthinking training crap. This is the Run N Gun, not the Olympics. Drink lots of water, like Brunop said, but I'd add - mix in some Gatorade or something similar once in a while. You can drink so much, sweat so much, pee so much, that electrolytes are down the drain. I try to eat close to the same time and type of food that I normally eat. It's kinda tough, 'cause on race day I'm usually going hither and yon, trying to keep stuff running - but in my head I'm still thinking nutrition. This is a run you don't want to do on an empty stomach! I start with a protein bar early in the AM, maybe some fruit/nuts a little later, and some carbs if I know when I'm going to get to run. (I usually don't know until the last minute) Personally, a big link of Boudin grabbed at the start line and consumed during the first mile and a half works good. YMMV

Eating a carb-heavy meal the night before has it's promoters and detractors - I have to say I'd go ahead and carb it up.
TedKennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2017, 09:06   #406
TxGunDawg
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 58435
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: NE Texas
Posts: 512
Better focus on the pre-hydration.

Probably up the amount of fluid I'll carry.

Looks like it's going to be an oven race weekend.
TxGunDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2017, 12:42   #407
beseventeen
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 75901
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedKennedy View Post
This is... not the Olympics.
You're right

beseventeen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2017, 13:31   #408
Nuttz
Semper Fidelis
Bronze Contributor
 
Nuttz's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 69873
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Virginia
Posts: 2,601
__________________
"He who controls the spice, controls the universe!" ― Frank Herbert
Nuttz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2017, 19:40   #409
Nuttz
Semper Fidelis
Bronze Contributor
 
Nuttz's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 69873
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Virginia
Posts: 2,601
More miles.

__________________
"He who controls the spice, controls the universe!" ― Frank Herbert
Nuttz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2017, 20:05   #410
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Platinum Contributor
 
brunop's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 17136
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Oregon
Posts: 11,913
^

Wow!


Nice pace for that many miles.
__________________
Warning to all FalFiles members who may ever want to do business with me on the FF Marketplace:

I support any person who steals 3% from PP by conducting business transactions as Family & Friends transactions. This may impugn my character, and, according to Mark Graham of Arizona Response Systems, means that I'll lie, cheat, and steal from people here *if* there is anything about you that I don't like - or possibly even disagree with.

You may not want to do business with me. In case you forget this, this warning will appear in any future advert in the Marketplace. Consider yourself duly warned.

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showp...7&postcount=89
brunop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2017, 20:07   #411
beseventeen
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 75901
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 178
Christ, Nuttz....I did 5 @ 9:32 today with a hoodie & pants on in 96 deg temp (trying to increase level of suckage) and thought I was doin' good...
beseventeen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2017, 20:25   #412
kotengu
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 1594
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Baxter, TN, USA
Posts: 7,148
Quote:
Originally Posted by beseventeen View Post
Christ, Nuttz....I did 5 @ 9:32 today with a hoodie & pants on in 96 deg temp (trying to increase level of suckage) and thought I was doin' good...
Don't let it get you down - I haven't figured out how he's doing it yet as he posts detailed videos and pictures that sure seem real, but he has GOT to be cheating somehow.

Me? I ran the weedeater for 15 minutes and played "machine shop" in the garage for an hour or so tonight. I did torque a barrel nut a few times, so that counts for a workout, right??

You guys (B17 is "one of the guys") are killing this!
__________________
"The way is in training." - Miyamoto Musashi
kotengu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2017, 22:00   #413
stimpsonjcat
I wasn't talking to you
Silver Contributor
 
stimpsonjcat's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 470
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Dawsonville, GA
Posts: 6,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by kotengu View Post
Think of me when you're slogging uphill on that damn gravel road with your shoes melting, and know that you're much better off than me and brunop on the couch.
And another slack-asstical checking in.
__________________
peace!
Happiness=UPS+ORMD

"Your 8mm FAL is like a deuce coup with a Ferrari pancake 12 under the hood and a Jaguar rear end. It just kinda transcends cool into fantasy."- USMC 0341

"The stimpgewehr is the reason Waldo is hiding."- Kotengu

"The game is worth the candle...always been."
stimpsonjcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2017, 06:00   #414
JerrySexton
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 76812
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Clay City, KY
Posts: 113
Anyone else thinking of doing a full body shave to gain a couple of seconds? As hairy as I am, it'd not only cut down on the drag but also save a bunch of weight.
JerrySexton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2017, 06:15   #415
TedKennedy
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 77344
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Sapulpa OK
Posts: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuttz View Post
More miles.

Dang, dude - you're killing it!

I run a ridiculous place at Turkey Mtn in Tulsa often. One stretch is the "powerline". Hills, rocks, and sunshine. Brutal. Once in a while I see FOG out there as well, cheerfully bounding along.....I've done the powerline 3X a few times, not many during the summer.

He did it 4X Monday, during the afternoon. There are gonna be some hardcore guys doing this thing next week. I'm pretty sure Matt and Rusty are training hard as well, and there are some other guys I don't communicate with regularly that will be tough to beat.
TedKennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2017, 08:10   #416
Nuttz
Semper Fidelis
Bronze Contributor
 
Nuttz's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 69873
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Virginia
Posts: 2,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by kotengu View Post
...I haven't figured out how he's doing it yet...
Well it is pretty flat and the weather has been beautiful for the runs here in Milwaukee this week compared to the hot/humid more hilly crap back home, so gonna say that is a contributing factor. The eyeball liberty on the beach/waterfront is also a bit of a motivation to run a little faster I think
__________________
"He who controls the spice, controls the universe!" ― Frank Herbert
Nuttz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2017, 10:17   #417
kotengu
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 1594
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Baxter, TN, USA
Posts: 7,148
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedKennedy View Post
I see FOG out there as well, cheerfully bounding along...
Hahaha - sounds about right! This is the coolest part about these matches. We all motivate each other and progress together. At some points it feels like we're not making any progress as I'm still chasing the same rabbit-like f$&ks I was several years ago - but when you look at the times and paces everyone is posting, they are ALL getting faster. And the shooting skills are going up too. Well done, gentlemen - you designed a winner!

Jerry - I think you should ABSOLUTELY shave everything off for the match. Nothing like sweat rolling down every body part with no hair to slow it down!
__________________
"The way is in training." - Miyamoto Musashi
kotengu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2017, 10:37   #418
Nuttz
Semper Fidelis
Bronze Contributor
 
Nuttz's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 69873
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Virginia
Posts: 2,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by kotengu View Post
...coolest part about these matches...
Not gonna be any of that sh!t!



F@ck,... just F@ck!!!!

__________________
"He who controls the spice, controls the universe!" ― Frank Herbert
Nuttz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2017, 16:42   #419
Bama Steve
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 1982
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Where I am
Posts: 4,643
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuttz View Post
Joining us at the Winter Okie or the next Rockcastle Steve?
You guys got me out of my chair and on the trails - that's enough for now - just gotta keep it up.

__________________
Being dyslexic has a bright side - it's easy to put things back together
Bama Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2017, 17:50   #420
Nuttz
Semper Fidelis
Bronze Contributor
 
Nuttz's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 69873
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Virginia
Posts: 2,601
Couple more miles tonight at a good pace. Had to slow down to a slow jog a few times on the way back for some traffic issues, pace would have been a bit better without the slow-downs. Little hotter at 84degrees and 75% humidity tonight.

__________________
"He who controls the spice, controls the universe!" ― Frank Herbert
Nuttz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2017, 07:19   #421
TedKennedy
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 77344
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Sapulpa OK
Posts: 239
Ran the powerline 2X, cut into the woods and got in a couple more miles, back out onto powerline, and who's truck do I see? FOG. I suffered through almost 9 miles, texted him later about his powerline 4X run.....he sent me the screenshot from his running app.....the dude is running a faster per mile pace on that 12 miles of hell than I can run in 9.
TedKennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2017, 08:39   #422
Nuttz
Semper Fidelis
Bronze Contributor
 
Nuttz's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 69873
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Virginia
Posts: 2,601
__________________
"He who controls the spice, controls the universe!" ― Frank Herbert
Nuttz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2017, 09:24   #423
TedKennedy
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 77344
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Sapulpa OK
Posts: 239
^^^ I'm eating lunch with him after church Sunday, reckon I oughtta doctor his food?

One week to go - y'all ready?
TedKennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2017, 14:14   #424
JerrySexton
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 76812
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Clay City, KY
Posts: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedKennedy View Post

One week to go - y'all ready?
Prepared? Nope. Ready? Yep. If you know what I mean.
JerrySexton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2017, 18:34   #425
TxGunDawg
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 58435
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: NE Texas
Posts: 512
Got an approximate weight of my gear today.

Rifle: Tikka w/scope and suppressor. 10 lbs.

Battle Belt: Beretta 92S and 4 mags. 70 rounds .308. 16 lbs.

Hydration Pack: 1.5L. 5 lbs

So 31 pounds.

It will likely be 2 to 4 pounds heavier on race day.

It always get heavier.
TxGunDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2017, 18:42   #426
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Platinum Contributor
 
brunop's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 17136
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Oregon
Posts: 11,913
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuttz View Post
__________________
Warning to all FalFiles members who may ever want to do business with me on the FF Marketplace:

I support any person who steals 3% from PP by conducting business transactions as Family & Friends transactions. This may impugn my character, and, according to Mark Graham of Arizona Response Systems, means that I'll lie, cheat, and steal from people here *if* there is anything about you that I don't like - or possibly even disagree with.

You may not want to do business with me. In case you forget this, this warning will appear in any future advert in the Marketplace. Consider yourself duly warned.

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showp...7&postcount=89
brunop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2017, 22:28   #427
stimpsonjcat
I wasn't talking to you
Silver Contributor
 
stimpsonjcat's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 470
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Dawsonville, GA
Posts: 6,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxGunDawg View Post
Got an approximate weight of my gear today.

Rifle: Tikka w/scope and suppressor. 10 lbs.

Battle Belt: Beretta 92S and 4 mags. 70 rounds .308. 16 lbs.

Hydration Pack: 1.5L. 5 lbs

So 31 pounds.

It will likely be 2 to 4 pounds heavier on race day.

It always get heavier.
I want pics of this setup.
__________________
peace!
Happiness=UPS+ORMD

"Your 8mm FAL is like a deuce coup with a Ferrari pancake 12 under the hood and a Jaguar rear end. It just kinda transcends cool into fantasy."- USMC 0341

"The stimpgewehr is the reason Waldo is hiding."- Kotengu

"The game is worth the candle...always been."
stimpsonjcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15, 2017, 06:04   #428
JerrySexton
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 76812
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Clay City, KY
Posts: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxGunDawg View Post
Got an approximate weight of my gear today.

Rifle: Tikka w/scope and suppressor. 10 lbs.

Battle Belt: Beretta 92S and 4 mags. 70 rounds .308. 16 lbs.

Hydration Pack: 1.5L. 5 lbs

So 31 pounds.

It will likely be 2 to 4 pounds heavier on race day.

It always get heavier.

Mmmmman! That's gonna get heavy. Can you shed anything?
JerrySexton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 15, 2017, 06:41   #429
TxGunDawg
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 58435
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: NE Texas
Posts: 512
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerrySexton View Post
Mmmmman! That's gonna get heavy. Can you shed anything?
Not really, that's only water, bullets, and guns.

It's lighter than most all of my other runs.

I think the only kit lighter was the second run of Januarys 20K. And only by a few pounds.

Last edited by TxGunDawg; July 15, 2017 at 07:05.
TxGunDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2017, 06:18   #430
beseventeen
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 75901
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 178
Well I put in my last good practice before OK, I don't think I'll have any more time to shoot between now and then.

I went to a 2 gun match to run my borrowed gear, just to get used to using them under pressure (timer go off = forget everything). I had a lot of fun. This is the first time since I've been three gunning that I have used a rifle less than 50 years old

So it turns out ARs are really built for multi gun matches LOL. I had a lot of fun with it and finished 20/52 overall which is my best finish ever. My goal was just to be slow and accurate, and to not have any misses. Goal accomplished! I think if I really put in some time with the AR I could make a lot of improvements. Here's one stage,



This week I intend to:

+ Do a full weight ruck to test equipment. Probably a shorter mileage than the real deal. I'm nursing my knees lately...been doing a lot more elliptical cardio (kill me) and cutting down running mileage to save them.

+ Clean pistol & rifle

+ Pack

+ Run and work out as usual sun-thurs

+ Drink a ton of water

+ OH MY GOD GET ON A PLANE ON FRIDAY AND GO TO OKLAHOMA WHAT THE FFFFFFFF

EDIT: oh you guys!! I forgot to tell you. So when I do the rucking with the pack/rifle I do it at the outdoor range I belong to. I run all the way from the back of the range, to the highway where you turn onto our driveway (driveway owned by the range and takes you like .5 mile to drive to the front gate). Well one of the neighbors called the president to complain about me...said that seeing me running out there with the pack/rifle made him nervous....

I'm sorry that all of my America offends him....not.
beseventeen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2017, 08:37   #431
kotengu
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 1594
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Baxter, TN, USA
Posts: 7,148
Quote:
Originally Posted by beseventeen View Post
I'm sorry that all of my America offends him....not.
Too funny -

I can't believe they have you doing the goofy straight-arm thing with the AR already. It's like a disease! ;-)

Go and kill this thing. You are ready!
__________________
"The way is in training." - Miyamoto Musashi
kotengu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2017, 09:11   #432
JerrySexton
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 76812
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Clay City, KY
Posts: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by beseventeen View Post
Well I put in my last good practice before OK, I don't think I'll have any more time to shoot between now and then.

I went to a 2 gun match to run my borrowed gear, just to get used to using them under pressure (timer go off = forget everything). I had a lot of fun. This is the first time since I've been three gunning that I have used a rifle less than 50 years old

So it turns out ARs are really built for multi gun matches LOL. I had a lot of fun with it and finished 20/52 overall which is my best finish ever. My goal was just to be slow and accurate, and to not have any misses. Goal accomplished! I think if I really put in some time with the AR I could make a lot of improvements. Here's one stage,



This week I intend to:

+ Do a full weight ruck to test equipment. Probably a shorter mileage than the real deal. I'm nursing my knees lately...been doing a lot more elliptical cardio (kill me) and cutting down running mileage to save them.

+ Clean pistol & rifle

+ Pack

+ Run and work out as usual sun-thurs

+ Drink a ton of water

+ OH MY GOD GET ON A PLANE ON FRIDAY AND GO TO OKLAHOMA WHAT THE FFFFFFFF

EDIT: oh you guys!! I forgot to tell you. So when I do the rucking with the pack/rifle I do it at the outdoor range I belong to. I run all the way from the back of the range, to the highway where you turn onto our driveway (driveway owned by the range and takes you like .5 mile to drive to the front gate). Well one of the neighbors called the president to complain about me...said that seeing me running out there with the pack/rifle made him nervous....

I'm sorry that all of my America offends him....not.
You make me feel like such a slacker. You're gonna knock it out of the park.

Guess I'd better finish this cup of coffee and get to the range.
JerrySexton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2017, 09:20   #433
JerrySexton
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 76812
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Clay City, KY
Posts: 113
Something that crossed my mind a couple of days ago and thought I'd mention is body glide / bandaids.

Most of you probably know this already but with all the heat, sweat and movement you stand a good chance of chaffing. Dry fit shirts seem to get me worse than cotton. YMMV. A couple of bandaids or some body glide goes along way in preventing the sting.

The worst case I ever had was in Florida on vacation. Went for a run in the heat. By the time I got back I had two little red stains on the front of my shirt. OUCH!!!
JerrySexton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2017, 12:13   #434
TxGunDawg
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 58435
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: NE Texas
Posts: 512
Got 4 miles in for the Final gear check. 32 pounds.

90 degrees and 75% humidity.

Legs ran out of steam the last 2 miles.

1. 15:50 Warm up.
2. 12:59 Jogged, mostly.
3. 15:59 Walked, mostly.
4: 16:05 Walked.

Not my best performance.

I'll rest up this next week.
TxGunDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2017, 14:15   #435
beseventeen
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 75901
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by kotengu View Post
Too funny -

I can't believe they have you doing the goofy straight-arm thing with the AR already. It's like a disease! ;-)

Go and kill this thing. You are ready!
I knew someone would comment on this!! I fought it at first too. But honestly, with that type of gun it is very efficient at close range, it makes me a lot less likely to swing past a target in the heat of the moment. The longer range stuff tho? Absolutely go back into my high power-esque stance. Having your arm fully extended makes for a lot more wobble vs pulling your arm in. I would never shoot my garand like that at close range; way too heavy and too much recoil for that position. But the AR, I concede, it looks dopey but it works!

Last edited by beseventeen; July 16, 2017 at 14:22.
beseventeen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2017, 14:59   #436
Nuttz
Semper Fidelis
Bronze Contributor
 
Nuttz's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 69873
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Virginia
Posts: 2,601
Final gear run/shoot today: Did five stages of fire with rifle and pistol from 15yds to 200yds (included VTAC at 150 as usual). Ran a little over a mile lap out and back with plenty of elevation before each stage. The total run time includes the shooting stages but I didn't time them, I just left the phone-ap running (I suppose if I added up all shoot times and subtracted the total, my pace would be a bit better). I shot most of them as fast as I could but some were probably a little over, like the last pistol where I used up remaining rounds to practice more 1handed and the VTAC where I took 3 (sometimes more) shots per port, using up an entire magazine. Total load out is 18lbs, carrying 60rds rifle and 44rds pistol. Tried out the new hat and shirt and am happy.










Ready as I am gonna be!
__________________
"He who controls the spice, controls the universe!" ― Frank Herbert
Nuttz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2017, 15:02   #437
kotengu
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 1594
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Baxter, TN, USA
Posts: 7,148
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerrySexton View Post
Something that crossed my mind a couple of days ago and thought I'd mention is body glide / bandaids.

Most of you probably know this already but with all the heat, sweat and movement you stand a good chance of chaffing. Dry fit shirts seem to get me worse than cotton. YMMV. A couple of bandaids or some body glide goes along way in preventing the sting.

The worst case I ever had was in Florida on vacation. Went for a run in the heat. By the time I got back I had two little red stains on the front of my shirt. OUCH!!!
"Bloody Nipples" ain't just a drink you order at the bar! You all be careful out there, and PLEASE DON'T POST PICS if this happens to you. ;-)
__________________
"The way is in training." - Miyamoto Musashi
kotengu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2017, 23:06   #438
stimpsonjcat
I wasn't talking to you
Silver Contributor
 
stimpsonjcat's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 470
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Dawsonville, GA
Posts: 6,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuttz View Post
Final gear run/shoot today: Did five stages of fire with rifle and pistol from 15yds to 200yds (included VTAC at 150 as usual). Ran a little over a mile lap out and back with plenty of elevation before each stage. The total run time includes the shooting stages but I didn't time them, I just left the phone-ap running (I suppose if I added up all shoot times and subtracted the total, my pace would be a bit better). I shot most of them as fast as I could but some were probably a little over, like the last pistol where I used up remaining rounds to practice more 1handed and the VTAC where I took 3 (sometimes more) shots per port, using up an entire magazine. Total load out is 18lbs, carrying 60rds rifle and 44rds pistol. Tried out the new hat and shirt and am happy.










Ready as I am gonna be!
Holy crap that looks LIGHT Jimmy!
__________________
peace!
Happiness=UPS+ORMD

"Your 8mm FAL is like a deuce coup with a Ferrari pancake 12 under the hood and a Jaguar rear end. It just kinda transcends cool into fantasy."- USMC 0341

"The stimpgewehr is the reason Waldo is hiding."- Kotengu

"The game is worth the candle...always been."
stimpsonjcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2017, 06:35   #439
TedKennedy
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 77344
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Sapulpa OK
Posts: 239
FOG and I went to Pawnee yesterday after church - met Hensch, Matt, and Cody. Got a bunch of work done, got some really nasty obstacles in place. Wanted to shoot some, but ran out of time. It's supposed to be 98-101 all week, gonna be the real deal when you get out on the trail.
TedKennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2017, 11:15   #440
stimpsonjcat
I wasn't talking to you
Silver Contributor
 
stimpsonjcat's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 470
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Dawsonville, GA
Posts: 6,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedKennedy View Post
got some really nasty obstacles in place.
Pit full of empty water bottles?
__________________
peace!
Happiness=UPS+ORMD

"Your 8mm FAL is like a deuce coup with a Ferrari pancake 12 under the hood and a Jaguar rear end. It just kinda transcends cool into fantasy."- USMC 0341

"The stimpgewehr is the reason Waldo is hiding."- Kotengu

"The game is worth the candle...always been."
stimpsonjcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2017, 12:34   #441
beseventeen
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 75901
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 178
Jimmy that looks awesome...my set up is bloated AF compared to that. I forsee myself changing things up in the future. I'm still hovering around 30lbs. I'm going heavy on the ammo, I might regret that, but I don't want to run out. I'm doing 90rd rifle and 74 pistol. I carried almost 2L of water on yesterday's run/ruck, I'm going to cut that down to 1 or 1.5L. I'm the kind of person where, if it's there I will drink it/eat it even if I'm not truly thirsty/hungry.

I'm glad I did a ruck with the AR (had only done it with garand previously) - I found out the picatinny rail is eating into the top of my pack - it's like a little saw!! I've got to stitch it up before I go and I'm going to wrap some gauze around the rail too. I did 4 miles yesterday, I know if I did the full 7 it likely would have ripped all the way through.

What are you guys doing about eye pro? I'm going to try some anti-fog stuff but whoa, that is going to suck. Running is fine because there's air moving over me, but the second I stop they fog up soooooo bad. That + my face slipping down the stock was challenging yesterday. Plus sweaty ass hands made pistol not great either. So yeah...lots of ammo

Also jimmy, good choice on the shirt color, that will hide the powDer from your truck stop donuts that morning!!! You're gonna kill it.

Last edited by beseventeen; July 17, 2017 at 13:06.
beseventeen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2017, 12:41   #442
Nuttz
Semper Fidelis
Bronze Contributor
 
Nuttz's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 69873
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Virginia
Posts: 2,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by beseventeen View Post
...What are you guys doing about eye pro?...
It never fails in Okie, some how I lose my eyepro within the first few minutes in a horrible boating accident! Might have to carry some backup I guess, but I bet I will lose those too...
Quote:
Originally Posted by beseventeen View Post
...that will hide the power....
I will not hide my "power" or my "powder", hehe...

note - Matt is the truckstop donut guy. I was poking fun at the Halfling for being so hill-person and all
__________________
"He who controls the spice, controls the universe!" ― Frank Herbert

Last edited by Nuttz; July 17, 2017 at 12:47.
Nuttz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2017, 13:07   #443
beseventeen
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 75901
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuttz View Post
It never fails in Okie, some how I lose my eyepro within the first few minutes in a horrible boating accident! Might have to carry some backup I guess, but I bet I will lose those too...
That's naughty. It's not a DQ to lose your eye pro? I mean I'm gonna use it rules or not because I have horrible luck and I like my eyeballs intact, but was just curious.
beseventeen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2017, 13:17   #444
Nuttz
Semper Fidelis
Bronze Contributor
 
Nuttz's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 69873
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Virginia
Posts: 2,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedKennedy View Post
Your eyes are your business, not mine.
__________________
"He who controls the spice, controls the universe!" ― Frank Herbert
Nuttz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 18, 2017, 09:25   #445
beseventeen
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 75901
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 178
Uhhh will there be a hose available for after the race?

beseventeen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 18, 2017, 09:57   #446
kotengu
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 1594
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Baxter, TN, USA
Posts: 7,148
Quote:
Originally Posted by beseventeen View Post
That's naughty. It's not a DQ to lose your eye pro? I mean I'm gonna use it rules or not because I have horrible luck and I like my eyeballs intact, but was just curious.
Not in Oklahoma - it really is "big boy/girl rules". Which is really nice for running in the heat. Unfortunately it IS required at Rockcastle, so don't get too used to it. Glasses suck when running. In KY you just gotta figure it out.
__________________
"The way is in training." - Miyamoto Musashi

Last edited by kotengu; July 18, 2017 at 10:10.
kotengu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 18, 2017, 10:39   #447
TedKennedy
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 77344
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Sapulpa OK
Posts: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by beseventeen View Post
Uhhh will there be a hose available for after the race?

no.
TedKennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18, 2017, 14:10   #448
TxGunDawg
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 58435
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: NE Texas
Posts: 512
Mother Nature turning it up.

102

Zero chance of rain.
TxGunDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 18, 2017, 14:19   #449
stimpsonjcat
I wasn't talking to you
Silver Contributor
 
stimpsonjcat's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 470
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Dawsonville, GA
Posts: 6,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by kotengu View Post
Glasses suck when running.
You get used to it when you're blind.

I am fan of bullfrog products, plus you could carry one in your 'else' pouch in case you totally smudge the glasses.

https://www.amazon.com/Frog-Spit-Ant...pes&th=1&psc=1
__________________
peace!
Happiness=UPS+ORMD

"Your 8mm FAL is like a deuce coup with a Ferrari pancake 12 under the hood and a Jaguar rear end. It just kinda transcends cool into fantasy."- USMC 0341

"The stimpgewehr is the reason Waldo is hiding."- Kotengu

"The game is worth the candle...always been."
stimpsonjcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19, 2017, 07:04   #450
TedKennedy
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 77344
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Sapulpa OK
Posts: 239
It's gonna be beautiful weather, plenty of sunshine. 100-102 on "the road", and around 200 in the smoker....gonna be some tasty food after the run!
TedKennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:40.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
©1998-2015 The FAL Files