The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The Revolver Files

Notices

Old June 30, 2017, 16:34   #1
Bawana jim
Registered

FALaholic #: 17482
Ruger vs Ruger

So I am getting old and I decided to buy a lightweight Ruger Semi auto. I took it and my old three screw Single Six out that I have had for decades yesterday. Hands down the SS was more reliable and shot better groups than the new auto. I am going to sell the auto, it doesn't run well on any of the ammo I tried and it's a jamamatic.

Love them old three screw Rugers, they are like the energizer bunny..
Old June 30, 2017, 18:20   #2
Falfan2017
Registered

FALaholic #: 79031
Looking for reliable shootable lightweight slim gun with with 10 round single stack look at the smith Wesson mp shield. You can get em for about 200$ after the rebate. Comes with 8+1 but you can buy a mag guts kit that creates room for 9+1. Not bad for a small single stack.
Falfan2017 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2017, 22:47   #3
BiGB808
Registered

FALaholic #: 18195
Thats almost full on retard for an experienced gun owner to think a ss will not out perform a micro 9 in paper punching.

I will give you benefit of a small doubt you call a lightweight ruger maybe an LC9 or smaller.... which I carry 50% daily . Shoot once every 3 months to make sure. If I have to shoot at you from 100 feet Good chance a life ending injury is not first shot.
Old June 30, 2017, 23:41   #4
Bawana jim
Registered

It's a lightweight 22.... looks like this...

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...E+22LR+4.4+ODG
Old June 30, 2017, 23:45   #5
BiGB808
Registered

FALaholic #: 18195
Only way that thing is better then a ss is if its got a Ti can on it.
Old July 01, 2017, 00:01   #6
Bawana jim
Registered

I have a can but too heavy for the 22 auto. Works great on an AR.
Old July 02, 2017, 08:07   #7
MAINER
Old Salt
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 18465
*Nothing beats a Ruger Single Six three screw for fun at plinking.
I can shoot 18 rounds before reloading mine.

Never took a liking to Ruger's semi auto pistol although the new ones look promising, but I am too fond of my old Browning Buckmark to change.

*Ok, there was this brass six barreled Mini Gatling Gun back a while ago, but it wasn't mine and with a $2400 price for one, never likely going to be. It was a hoot to shoot and a beauty to look at.

Last edited by MAINER; July 02, 2017 at 08:21.
MAINER is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 02, 2017, 12:37   #8
fnogger
Registered

FALaholic #: 51053
I have a KMK512 (heavy barrel stainless) Mk II and it is dead nutz reliable with just about anything. Needs cleaning every 2k rounds or so, otherwise some ammo will tend to do an OOB discharge.
Old July 02, 2017, 12:57   #9
Bawana jim
Registered

The Single Six works every time, no jams and shoots straight. I was dumb to buy a new Ruger auto, three kinds of ammo and wouldn't run a full mag without jamming.
Old July 02, 2017, 15:27   #10
Guy-epic
Registered

FALaholic #: 70221
Imo the Ruger MK2's and the later MK1's are the best semiautos in .22 you can get dollar for dollar. S&W model 41's are amazing, but you pay for them. The mk3's suck as they added all the BS that made them blah! The mk4's still have the blah just made it so a idiot can do a tear down. Mk1-3 suck to tear down until you understand them. The mk2 is by far the most customizable semiauto .22 I can think of. Mine are just amazing to shoot.
Old July 03, 2017, 20:56   #11
randyj
Registered

FALaholic #: 14923
I dont know why people have to have the newest gun out. there are plenty of reliable and proven guns on the used market that it makes no sense to me. my ruger MK1 and 5.5" bull barreled MK2 are hard to beat and i think i have $350 in the pair. My S&W 41with cocking indicator, 6.7/8 barrel and barrel weight / muzzel flash reducer cost me $450.plus the older finer workmanship is outstanding compaired to todays market.
90%of my guns came from the used gun market. I think i've been burned once or twice but the money saved its still worth it. BTW the other 10% are either new, home built,or bought as bad shooters or jamamatics that with some TLC a few new parts, and a spring here and there and they are as good as new or better.

rj

ps. sometimes just a good cleaning and oiling will make it run like a champ.
randyj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 04, 2017, 13:26   #12
357ross
Registered

FALaholic #: 47543
The only thing the MK2 lacks is the push button mag release. I never understood why so many people could not field strip or reassemble them after a little practice.
357ross is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 04, 2017, 14:04   #13
Guy-epic
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357ross View Post
The only thing the MK2 lacks is the push button mag release. I never understood why so many people could not field strip or reassemble them after a little practice.
I agree, but the extended heel release works ok. It's not a fast reloader imo, it just wasn't built for that. I have seen some guys add some lead tape to the base of the magazines, and with the extended release get pretty fast. My fiends and I are planning to shoot a ten steel target timed event. This makes each stage one magazine, requires accuracy, and speed on the trigger. Very fun
Old July 04, 2017, 22:15   #14
Wildcat
Registered

FALaholic #: 6517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy-epic View Post
I agree, but the extended heel release works ok. It's not a fast reloader imo, it just wasn't built for that. I have seen some guys add some lead tape to the base of the magazines, and with the extended release get pretty fast. My fiends and I are planning to shoot a ten steel target timed event. This makes each stage one magazine, requires accuracy, and speed on the trigger. Very fun
We have had a steel shoot locally in the summer for more than 15 years. As you may expect, the MK-IIs showed up and there have been several mods made to them to speed up the magazine exchange.

The quickest guy drilled the mag catch for a rod about 2" in length. It jutted back a bit to allow clearance for his hand to clear when installing the fresh mag.

He also cut a groove in the center of the mag release to allow the spine of the magazine to slide freely past once the catch was clear of the base pad.

The off hand would brush the extension on the way from the pistol to retrieve the magazine. The mag dropped out nicely. It worked pretty slick.
Old July 05, 2017, 17:55   #15
wolfspotter1
Registered

FALaholic #: 64473
I have the Ruger Single Six & a 1965 Ruger standard semi that I did trigger work on. I find that the the old standard is more accurate and easy to aim. The SS goes camping with me sometimes.
wolfspotter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 05, 2017, 19:56   #16
Guy-epic
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
We have had a steel shoot locally in the summer for more than 15 years. As you may expect, the MK-IIs showed up and there have been several mods made to them to speed up the magazine exchange.

The quickest guy drilled the mag catch for a rod about 2" in length. It jutted back a bit to allow clearance for his hand to clear when installing the fresh mag.

He also cut a groove in the center of the mag release to allow the spine of the magazine to slide freely past once the catch was clear of the base pad.

The off hand would brush the extension on the way from the pistol to retrieve the magazine. The mag dropped out nicely. It worked pretty slick.
I like this idea, I think I will buy a replacement release. Drill and tap a hole that I can thread in rod, or maybe a flap design. But tap it so I can try different styles, and I can see how cutting a V into the rear of it will help. Thanks this maybe the ticket
Old July 06, 2017, 15:04   #17
yovinny
Registered

FALaholic #: 7679
I must have bad luck..
Ive owned 3 old single sixes and one new model one. Even discounting that one old model was a convertible with the mag cylinder, none ever shot worth a shit. Best I could say is that a 'good' one could shoot well enough to hit a pop can at 50',,, most of the time...
I'd take almost any semi over a single six,,,even an old Llama or astra..
Now my 3 screw black hawk and super bh are different animals completely....
yovinny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2017, 19:26   #18
gunshack
Registered

FALaholic #: 17916
GLOCK! and don't look back.

Before you haters start in, NOTHING will diminish my love for my Colt 1911s. But in this modern day there's nothing practical about carrying an extra pound of steel for love.
gunshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2017, 07:24   #19
MAINER
Old Salt
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunshack View Post
GLOCK! and don't look back.

Before you haters start in, NOTHING will diminish my love for my Colt 1911s. But in this modern day there's nothing practical about carrying an extra pound of steel for love.
WRONG! It is entirely practical to carry an extra pound of steel to ward off the effects of cake and doughnut attacks.

B'sides, Gluck's and the likes is just plain ugly and suck as a multirole tool for adjusting attitudes of miscreants.

Last edited by MAINER; July 14, 2017 at 07:33.
Old July 14, 2017, 10:05   #20
gunshack
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAINER View Post
WRONG! It is entirely practical to carry an extra pound of steel to ward off the effects of cake and doughnut attacks.
Ok, ok, love handles do make it hard to draw. #nodaysoff

Quote:
B'sides, Gluck's and the likes is just plain ugly and suck as a multirole tool for adjusting attitudes of miscreants.
And somehow a Ruger semi-auto is pretty?
Old July 14, 2017, 15:25   #21
TenTea
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 72247
Quote:

Nice lines...

=------} They strain gnats and swallow camels...

=------} Just a battleship mouth and a rowboat ass...
TenTea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2017, 15:57   #22
VALMET
Veteran Member
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 1826
While I know that many are fans, I absolutely detest a semi-auto 22. 10/22s, Model 60 Marlins, any if the Ruger Mark series, etc as I've never had good experiences with them. I do however have a strong affinity for early Ruger LW Single-Six Tri-colors and my K-22 which was a bday present for my 17th.
Old July 14, 2017, 16:28   #23
Bawana jim
Registered

It's just my old three screw never jams and shoots pretty much where I do. I paid more for that new light weight auto and it jammed on everything. I won't ever buy another new Ruger 22 auto.
Old July 15, 2017, 12:48   #24
gunshack
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenTea View Post
Nice lines...

Yeah! The mark II is a beauty. I retract a portion of statement.
Old July 15, 2017, 12:54   #25
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34604
Quote:
Originally Posted by VALMET View Post
While I know that many are fans, I absolutely detest a semi-auto 22. 10/22s, Model 60 Marlins, any if the Ruger Mark series, etc as I've never had good experiences with them. I do however have a strong affinity for early Ruger LW Single-Six Tri-colors and my K-22 which was a bday present for my 17th.
I've never seen a .22 SA that was remotely close to 100% reliable.

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.
meltblown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 15, 2017, 22:14   #26
Bawana jim
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by meltblown View Post
I've never seen a .22 SA that was remotely close to 100% reliable.
They are as reliable as the ammo you put into them.
Old July 15, 2017, 23:27   #27
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34604
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bawana jim View Post
They are as reliable as the ammo you put into them.
Yep, they are finicky.

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.
meltblown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2017, 00:08   #28
Bawana jim
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by meltblown View Post
Yep, they are finicky.
Mine works far better than the new auto I bought so really I don't see the finicky. Only time it doesn't fire is rim fire ammo that won't go off. The auto had many dofferent kinds of failures from failure to feed and failure to eject.
Old July 16, 2017, 08:17   #29
MAINER
Old Salt
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
As you have already admitted, yes the MK II's do have some sleek lines. The MK I's on the other hand were some homely mutts, which is why I have a Browning Buckmark.

Ruger SA = Semi Auto.......Single Action?

Last edited by MAINER; July 16, 2017 at 08:22.
Old July 16, 2017, 14:01   #30
Wildcat
Registered

FALaholic #: 6517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bawana jim View Post
Mine works far better than the new auto I bought so really I don't see the finicky. Only time it doesn't fire is rim fire ammo that won't go off. The auto had many dofferent kinds of failures from failure to feed and failure to eject.
FWIW, I have had some Remmy ammo that failed to feed in the Single Six.
Old July 16, 2017, 21:47   #31
gunshack
Registered

Quote:
As you have already admitted, yes the MK II's do have some sleek lines. The MK I's on the other hand were some homely mutts, which is why I have a Browning Buckmark.

Ruger SA = Semi Auto.......Single Action?
I like my s&w 41.
I also have a colt woodsman, but that's just because it's a colt.
Old July 17, 2017, 08:22   #32
MAINER
Old Salt
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
I like my s&w 41.
I also have a colt woodsman, but that's just because it's a colt.
There was never anything wrong with a Colt Woodsman, except the price and difficulty finding one. S&W 41 needs no explanation. Couple nice ones you have there.
Old July 20, 2017, 18:54   #33
gunshack
Registered

Quote:
There was never anything wrong with a Colt Woodsman, except the price and difficulty finding one. S&W 41 needs no explanation. Couple nice ones you have there.
I'd really like to find an Ace, but talk about price and availability... you'd think they were made of golden hens teeth.