The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The Revolver Files

Notices

Old May 18, 2017, 12:40   #1
metalreptile
Registered

FALaholic #: 26243
S&W Target Grip Question

I just purchased a really nice looking set of target type S&W grips for an older Model 19 I have. Didn't even notice until after I paid for the grips online, that there is a very small hole in the frontstrap section of the grips. Just looking at the photo (I haven't got the grips in hand yet) it looks sorta like they were original to the grips, but I have never heard of this. They are older black washer type factory grips. Anybody ever heard of this, or why one would put a hole there?

Old May 18, 2017, 13:01   #2
Invictus77
The Colonel
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74205
Access for strain screw? See part # 55.

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufac...tm?results=100
Old May 18, 2017, 13:05   #3
TenTea
Registered

FALaholic #: 72247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Invictus77 View Post
Access for strain screw? See part # 55.

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufac...tm?results=100
This is the most likely answer...damn kids and their infernal drill bits (or rat tail files)!
TenTea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2017, 08:18   #4
MAINER
Old Salt
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 18465
Those grips look to be unused to me, so I would think they came with the access hole and not modified by user.
Can't say that I remember seeing S&W grips with a hole in that location howsomever.
Old May 19, 2017, 10:04   #5
TenTea
Registered

FALaholic #: 72247
I was wanting to see the other side of those stocks, too.

I see a few other sets like this when searching, but they are all on photobucket and I despise that site or I would post photos of them.

Curious to know whether this mod is factory or aftermarket or personal alteration. Never seen factory stocks with the access hole.
TenTea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2017, 12:32   #6
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
Other side will tell more and my Smith & Wesson along with most other firearms history books are at home but one variant of the early M19's did have a hole in the grips for adjusting the strain screw. Believe it was the M19-3, M19-4 or M19-5 Target in 6" with adjustable sights. If the other side has the diamond grip insert then they are pre 1968 to 1970 (some discrepancies according to sources when discontinued) but if memory serves diamond was officially discontinued in 1968 but on occasion would find another box and usually put on the Target Model but all were long gone before the M19-4 was released. Relatively sure that was done in early 70's on Target models before eliminating counter-bored cylinders. If has raised diamond around grip screw area then likely off a 19-3 or early 19-4. Without a raised diamond will be from a M19-4 or M19-5.

My best guess:
With Diamond insert: late M19-3 Target 6" Blue with counter bored cylinders and adjustable sights.
Without: M19-5 Target 6" Blue Red Ramp insert front sight and White Outline rear sight.

If either of those its possibly factory though some did modify themselves but most swapped to Pachmayers long before they modded factory grips in the day. Somewhere is possibly a gun with $300 hole missing in original grips.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2017, 12:44   #7
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalreptile View Post
Motice right grip on left in photo. The black insert that medallion attaches to is missing the sharp little tips on washer around the stud. When they come off, if shot much with magnum ammo that black washer can work loose, fall into area of mainspring and bind the gun up. One of the few things that can go wrong with a M19 other than ejector rod unscrewing slowly till hits that last thousandth of an inch where it closes and six rounds later a wheel gun smith is required to open the cylinder.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
Old May 19, 2017, 15:23   #8
metalreptile
Registered

Old May 19, 2017, 15:25   #9
metalreptile
Registered

Any way to secure the black washer to be sure it don't come loose?
Old May 19, 2017, 19:25   #10
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Some clear epoxy glue, a dab will do you. Don't need to gob it on there. Not an expert but was into M19's during 1970's as a kid. My first center fire handgun paid for with own money was M19-5 square butt with 4" barrel and adjustible sights at age 13. Studied them hard and owned three by age 16.
Old May 19, 2017, 21:04   #11
BUFF
Registered

FALaholic #: 789
Been buying and shooting S&W since 1975. Member of S&W Collectors Assn. since the early 1990's. Active on a couple of S&W websites since Al Gore invented the internet.

Not to sound like a know-it-all, I have never seen target stocks shipped from the factory with that hole.

I just went through my stash o' grips and of the 20 or more sets of K targets (yours are from the era known as "football targets") and I have nothing like that, and I am sure none of my K frame guns have had that hole, either.
Old May 20, 2017, 00:15   #12
Bawana jim
Registered

FALaholic #: 17482
I am probably wrong but these were sold for a time...

http://www.tarnhelm.com/magna-trigge...ty/magna1.html