The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > General Firearms Discussion

Notices

Old July 11, 2019, 12:39   #1
Bawana jim
Registered

FALaholic #: 17482
Browning bar 7mm mag

Friend came over yesterday and wanted to sell me a 7mm mag Browning BAR. Newer model with the bolt release on the side. Some factory engraving (grade 1?) Rear sight didnt look factory but very solid. Some discoloration on the receiver, kinda oily look. Stock cut from original to put a Browning recoil pad on it. Barrel looked good and it had not been shot much.

Had a leupold vari x 2 on it that looked good and clear, 3x9 with 50mm objective that had parallax adjustment 0 to infinity. Scope covers. He wanted $800

I know I should have pictures but I dont. Do you think this is a deal or should I pass on it? One of us will have to pay a BC on the transfer of $20 to $35 depending on where we do it.
Bawana jim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2019, 12:52   #2
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34604
What are you going to do with it? 7mag is expensive to shoot. Don't get me wrong, they are cool looking but the resale sucks as most people in these parts use bolt actions for this application.

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.
meltblown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2019, 12:53   #3
ftierson
Registered

FALaholic #: 13827
I'm not a fan of the Browning BAR, so I'm probably not the one to comment on this here.

In addition, I'm not a big fan of belted magnum cartridges...

I do know that it would probably take a couple of years to sell one of these (a 7mm Rem Mag Browning BAR) here in Colorado Springs unless it was at a give-away price.

For what little it's worth...

Forrest
ftierson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2019, 12:59   #4
Bawana jim
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by meltblown View Post
What are you going to do with it? 7mag is expensive to shoot. Don't get me wrong, they are cool looking but the resale sucks as most people in these parts use bolt actions for this application.
Only reason I see to buy it is a backup gun when I go hunting. I reload so I can make good ammo that isn't real expensive. I asked him why he didn't sell it on line and he said he tried but Browning don't seem to sell well in the BAR model.
Old July 11, 2019, 13:04   #5
Bawana jim
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftierson View Post
I'm not a fan of the Browning BAR, so I'm probably not the one to comment on this here.

In addition, I'm not a big fan of belted magnum cartridges...

I do know that it would probably take a couple of years to sell one of these (a 7mm Rem Mag Browning BAR) here in Colorado Springs unless it was at a give-away price.

For what little it's worth...

Forrest
Brother lives in Eastern Oregon and if you get a shot at something it's usually long distance. One of my other brothers hunts with a 7mm mag over there and gets clean kills most of the time. Mule deer over there are pretty fair size so a clean kill saves a lot of walking.
Old July 11, 2019, 13:25   #6
ftierson
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bawana jim View Post
Brother lives in Eastern Oregon and if you get a shot at something it's usually long distance. One of my other brothers hunts with a 7mm mag over there and gets clean kills most of the time. Mule deer over there are pretty fair size so a clean kill saves a lot of walking.
Sounds like you've talked yourself into it (or are talking yourself into it)...

Most BARs don't see much use, so there's that in favor. Of course, there's a reason why most don't see too much use, and that's the somewhat fragile nature of the beast.

I have nothing bad to say about 7mm as a caliber. I have a number that I like vey much, just no belted magnums. As I mentioned, 7mm Rem Mag rifles are very hard to sell here in Colorado Springs, and that's bolt guns. A BAR would be even worse...

The reason I'm not a fan of belted mags has to do with case life. As meltdown mentions, factory ammo for 7mm Rem Mag is quite expensive. If you reload, as you mention that you do, you will find quite short case life with a belted mag. The belt (which is the headspace vehicle) allows a sloppy chamber (just like for rimmed cartridges). A semi-auto might be expected to have an even more generous chamber than a bolt gun. This allows a great deal of stretching of the case right in front of the belt (which is where I'd least like to see it since the case is containing about 65,000psi there). This results in an extremely limited case life, negating most of the assumed savings by reloading instead of shooting factory ammo.

I'm not claiming that the 7mm Rem Mag is a poor ballistic performer. It's hard to beat a 7mm that way. But there's the rest of the story...

Sales of 7mm Rem Mag out here are very poor compared to most other belted mag cartridges, probably because some of the newer wizz-bang cartridges get so much hype. And some have no belt...

But, having said all this, you certainly don't need my permission to get what you want...

Forrest
Old July 11, 2019, 13:35   #7
Bawana jim
Registered

Brother that shoots the 7mm mag doesn't reload so brass will be easy to get. I am thinking if I don't like the gun I can still use the scope and sell the gun. Scope looks really good with no scratches and has really clear glass.

Probably sell the gun to my weak minded brother that hunts with a Remington 700 7mm mag.

I haven't talked myself into this yet.
Old July 11, 2019, 13:37   #8
Randall
Registered

FALaholic #: 4979
7mm Rem Mag is a fine cartridge, I own one and like it just fine. However, like the 300WM it requires longer barrels to get the best out of the cartridge. Longer barrels an belted magnums mean extra weight. Browning BARs are heavy guns to begin with. You're probably looking at 11 lbs scoped, loaded, and ready for bear.

At that weight, it becomes a range gun, or safe queen rather than a viable big game rifle at my house. YMMV. Good luck on your decision.
Old July 11, 2019, 17:04   #9
ftierson
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bawana jim View Post
Brother that shoots the 7mm mag doesn't reload so brass will be easy to get. I am thinking if I don't like the gun I can still use the scope and sell the gun. Scope looks really good with no scratches and has really clear glass.

Probably sell the gun to my weak minded brother that hunts with a Remington 700 7mm mag.

I haven't talked myself into this yet.

Forrest
Old July 11, 2019, 17:05   #10
ftierson
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall View Post
7mm Rem Mag is a fine cartridge, I own one and like it just fine. However, like the 300WM it requires longer barrels to get the best out of the cartridge. Longer barrels an belted magnums mean extra weight. Browning BARs are heavy guns to begin with. You're probably looking at 11 lbs scoped, loaded, and ready for bear.

At that weight, it becomes a range gun, or safe queen rather than a viable big game rifle at my house. YMMV. Good luck on your decision.
And there's that...

Forrest
Old July 11, 2019, 17:46   #11
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34604
Appears the scope is maybe worth $150. So you ready to buy a $675 rifle? Not a lot of money (relatively speaking). I have a safe full of stuff I don't shoot anyway. I always pick up the same 3 or 4 of my favorites on a range trip. If I'm going to invest in a medium range sniper rifle, it's not going to be a semi as that is all I currently have.

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.
meltblown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2019, 16:31   #12
mongoose
Registered

FALaholic #: 3835
Mine is a 1969 version and I hunt what I please with it because it is a fantastic antelope to moose round. Yes, I've taken speed goat and elk with it as a BAR.

With respect to price, the market has seemed to have dried up on folks wanting BARs. I suspect it has to due with Christianson and the AR platform.

Good luck!

It does not require a majority to prevail but an irate tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds!
Samuel Adams

"God is dead"...Nietzche
"Nietzche is dead"...God

"'Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,'
The shade replied, -
'If you seek for Eldorado!'"...Poe
mongoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2019, 21:53   #13
Bawana jim
Registered

I decided not to buy it, thanks for the feedback.
Old July 14, 2019, 00:05   #14
Registered

FALaholic #: 348
Shoulda got it. The semi will reduce recoil and a 7mm mag is a manís cartridge. I prefer lever actions & semis for hunting, if theyíre worth shooting once then they are definitely worth shooting twice. A heavy hitting hunting rifle is not going to be a feather light weight. I found some 300 blackout cases at the range today and was very unimpressed.
0302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2019, 01:18   #15
Right Side Up
Registered

FALaholic #: 43
There's nothing wrong with a 7mm Remington Magnum. You can find ammo everywhere, and once fired brass is easy to find. The only people that lose brass too quick are the guys that bump the shoulder back way too far when sizing, and those guys shouldn't be reloading in the first place if they're not going to learn how to do things right.

Forget about the belt, treat it like a regular rimless cartridge and headspace it off the shoulder.

Last edited by Right Side Up; July 14, 2019 at 02:36.
Right Side Up is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2019, 09:30   #16
Bawana jim
Registered

I bought a 270 BAR back in the 1980s and it's been a good eastern Oregon deer gun. While the 7mm mag would be a good step up in power it's hard to justify a new gun this late in life.
Old July 14, 2019, 09:53   #17
VALMET
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 1826
This provides some interesting insight into the development of the 7mm Rem Mag cartridge for those who are fans...

https://youtu.be/r8S3wXF9XDs

I would’ve passed on the rifle as well OP.

"Dammit Smithers this is brain surgery, not rocket science. Now hand me that ice-cream scoop!Ē -C. Montgomery Burns
VALMET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15, 2019, 00:28   #18
ftierson
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0302 View Post
Shoulda got it. The semi will reduce recoil and a 7mm mag is a manís cartridge. I prefer lever actions & semis for hunting, if theyíre worth shooting once then they are definitely worth shooting twice. A heavy hitting hunting rifle is not going to be a feather light weight. I found some 300 blackout cases at the range today and was very unimpressed.
I agree that a semi-auto tends to reduce felt recoil by applying it to your shoulder slower than a bolt gun, and a heavy hitting cartridge is less than optimal in a light rifle. Stock design also influences felt recoil, and the stocks on the Browning BARs never fit me well, negating some of the advantages of the recoil reducing action. But that's a pretty personal thing...

Forrest
Old July 15, 2019, 00:45   #19
ftierson
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Right Side Up View Post
There's nothing wrong with a 7mm Remington Magnum. You can find ammo everywhere, and once fired brass is easy to find. The only people that lose brass too quick are the guys that bump the shoulder back way too far when sizing, and those guys shouldn't be reloading in the first place if they're not going to learn how to do things right.

Forget about the belt, treat it like a regular rimless cartridge and headspace it off the shoulder.
Most chambers for belted mags tend to somewhat long since the belt headspaces the cartridge. This leads to more stretching of the case on the first firing compared to the situation with a rimless cartridge case. It's kind of like collecting 7.62 NATO brass shot in an M60, where nine lives have already been lost on the first firing...

IF you are loading for a bolt gun and dedicate the cartridge cases to that one gun, I agree that you should be headspacing on the shoulder and forgetting about the belt. That will maximize whatever case life is left. However, if you have a couple of rifles in the same cartridge, you might not want to load for just one of them. Of course, given that it's doubtful that you'll be shooting thousands of rounds in these rifles, you might do that anyway.

But that's more for bolt guns. With a semi-auto, you don't want to get too tight, so there you are with shorter case life again.

My brother has a Browning BAR in .338 WinMag. He bought it many decades ago and had it hard chromed by Armoloy for weather protection. He lives in New York State and uses it for deer. He has taken a number of deer with it and likes the rifle very much, but I doubt that he has fired five boxes of ammo through it in 40 years. So, perhaps, depending on usage, the cost of ammo may be somewhat irrelevant...

Then again, he also has a Browning BLR in .280 Remington. It's stock fits me just as poorly as the BAR, but it's certainly more fun to shoot than the .338 BAR... And it's a great 7mm cartridge (assuming the right twist for your needs). But a word of caution about the BLR... Don't take it apart...

Forrest
Old July 15, 2019, 22:41   #20
Registered

FALaholic #: 348
The 7mm mag BAR would make a whoop ass pig gun.
0302 is offline   Reply With Quote