The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The Revolver Files

Notices

Old December 17, 2018, 14:56   #1
Timber Wolf
Registered

FALaholic #: 805
Finally, I love my SP101 .22!

I have had a long term love affair with a .357 SP101 for several years now. I have launched STIFF loads out of it that I loaded up for my 6" S&W 28. It digested them beautifully. I have carried it woods loafing and felt very secure knowing I had a MAGNUM tucked back.

I had always kind of wanted a .22 SP and when the 8 shot versions came out set my sights in that direction. I finally traded-with-boot into a brand spank new one a while back. Which had a TERRIBLE trigger pull. Just stiff as all get out. I was really disappointed and threw the thing in the back of the safe and forgot about it.

A few weeks back I decided to finally do something about it and got online and ordered up a set of springs from Wolff. They came in and I waited for the right time to approach my buddy (the gunsmith) with the project. The time came yesterday and it was on. We tore it down and cleaned/smoothed/lightly polished the guts and installed the new springs. DAYEM, what a difference! She is one sweet piece now. Silky smooth double action, really light and scarily crisp single action. I have not shot it yet but it is a whole different gun. ME LIKEE!

"Guns don't kill people. Daddys with good looking daughters do!"

Last edited by Timber Wolf; December 18, 2018 at 11:57.
Timber Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 17, 2018, 15:10   #2
TenTea
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 72247
w00t!
Wife's favorite color: glitter
TenTea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 17, 2018, 15:53   #3
Bawana jim
Registered

FALaholic #: 17482
I love a sweet shooting 22LR revolver. I have so many great memories that come from hiking,fishing,hunting and camping while carrying one. My first revolver was a Ruger single six and it went with me a long ways and on many trips. Thank god 22 ammo is back on the shelves and the fun starts again.
Old December 17, 2018, 16:21   #4
Retired Bum
Registered

FALaholic #: 21904
A pal of mine bought a SP101 .357 and asked me to give it a thorough cleaning. I told him that taking the cylinder out of Ruger DA revolvers was a PITA. That it was necessary to pull the lock work out in order to remove the cylinder. I did it to show him what I was talking about. He was less than thrilled and ended up trading the SP101 on an "enhanced" J frame .357 Magnum with the three inch barrel and the adjustable rear sight.

Remove the side plate screw and that is it. I have owned many Ruger SA's over close to 60 years now. But not that first DA and never will.

I have a lovely four inch S&W Model 34-1 .22 Kit Gun. Now that is the class act in the small frame .22LR DA revolver.

And so it goes.

The Retired One
Retired Bum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 17, 2018, 16:26   #5
MasterChief
Registered

FALaholic #: 5026
I've wanted a compact .22LR revolver ever since I missed the boat on a High Standard Sentinel many years ago. I got this 6-shot SP101 about 15 years ago and really like it. Pachmayr compact grips (from the clearance table) fit just right for me. Bit heavy for pocket carry but a good camp gun. YMMV Best Wishes, Dave.
MasterChief is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 18, 2018, 12:15   #6
Timber Wolf
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired Bum View Post
He was less than thrilled and ended up trading the SP101 on an "enhanced" J frame .357 Magnum with the three inch barrel and the adjustable rear sight.
The Retired One
I just happen to have one of those super-sexy little stainless 3" Model 60 .357 revolvers myself. She is sho-nuff light on the eyes and feels good in the hand. Shoots good too. But I refuse to let her beauty turn my head as she will never be my SP. What can I say, I likes me some meat on the bones.

Oh, I must take exception with your dislike of Ruger DA revolvers. Now I do know the other side having many Colt and S&W revolvers of various sizes and flavors, but loves me a nice Ruger as well. These include a Redhawk, Super Redhawk (.480), the aforementioned SP, several Police/Speed/Security Sixes and once upon a time had a GP that was also a solid shooter. Heck, I love them all.

Old December 18, 2018, 17:59   #7
catmguy445
Registered

FALaholic #: 50311
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post
I have had a long term love affair with a .357 SP101 for several years now. I have launched STIFF loads out of it that I loaded up for my 6" S&W 28. It digested them beautifully. I have carried it woods loafing and felt very secure knowing I had a MAGNUM tucked back.

I had always kind of wanted a .22 SP and when the 8 shot versions came out set my sights in that direction. I finally traded-with-boot into a brand spank new one a while back. Which had a TERRIBLE trigger pull. Just stiff as all get out. I was really disappointed and threw the thing in the back of the safe and forgot about it.

A few weeks back I decided to finally do something about it and got online and ordered up a set of springs from Wolff. They came in and I waited for the right time to approach my buddy (the gunsmith) with the project. The time came yesterday and it was on. We tore it down and cleaned/smoothed/lightly polished the guts and installed the new springs. DAYEM, what a difference! She is one sweet piece now. Silky smooth double action, really light and scarily crisp single action. I have not shot it yet but it is a whole different gun. ME LIKEE!
I did the same thing. Bought an SP 101 .22 for my wife to learn to shoot with, and the factory trigger was HORRIBLE, to put it mildly. I ordered a Wolff spring kit, which I think cost all of about ten bucks, and installed it in the gun, along with a little polishing of internal parts, and the trigger was now useable. When we took the gun to the range, I found that the 13 lb. hammer spring was a bit light. Had a couple of misfires in the first 100 rounds we shot after installing the spring kit. So I replaced the 13 lb. spring with the 14 lb. spring, and no more misfires. The hot setup seems to be an 8 lb. trigger return spring, and a 14 lb. hammer spring. Makes the gun user friendly instead of having to fight with the trigger.
Old December 20, 2018, 17:36   #8
nvcdl
Registered

FALaholic #: 1312
Yup - I have a 4" SP101 in 22Lr with Fiber optic front sight. Not sure why Ruger ships them with such a crappy trigger. A wolf spring kit vastly improved it.
nvcdl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 22, 2018, 11:02   #9
K. Funk
Real Life Metallurgist
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 38
I have a stainless Single Six, a GP-100 10 shot and a SP-101 all in .22. Love them all.

krf

You never know what's going on inside the mind of a crazy man!!

Check out username kandainv on Gunbroker; always some neat stuff!!
FYB!!!!
K. Funk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2019, 21:01   #10
Timber Wolf
Registered

Update. Pistol was only 50 percent reliable in DA with the 13 pound spring,. Replaced it with the 14 pound and all is well with the world.

Old February 19, 2019, 13:18   #11
skeeterbay
Veteran Member
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 20461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired Bum View Post
A pal of mine bought a SP101 .357 and asked me to give it a thorough cleaning. I told him that taking the cylinder out of Ruger DA revolvers was a PITA. That it was necessary to pull the lock work out in order to remove the cylinder. I did it to show him what I was talking about. He was less than thrilled and ended up trading the SP101 on an "enhanced" J frame .357 Magnum with the three inch barrel and the adjustable rear sight.

Remove the side plate screw and that is it. I have owned many Ruger SA's over close to 60 years now. But not that first DA and never will.

I have a lovely four inch S&W Model 34-1 .22 Kit Gun. Now that is the class act in the small frame .22LR DA revolver.

And so it goes.

The Retired One
By far my favorite double action revolvers are the older Smith and Wesson's. That being said I have learned that thread lock is your friend. I was doing a night fire high stress course back years ago. There were multiple barricades on the course with three targets at each barricade. After a 200 yard run, 100 yards down range and 100 back up. You ran to each barricade with your revolver and fired multiple times at the target the team commander yelled out to shoot. While officers where behind you screaming other stuff at you. All this was done on a dark night with the only light being a patrol cars over heads parked behind the starting line. I had made it to barricade three or four and was in the middle of a reload when the cylinder/yoke came out. That little screw had backed out and was lost in the snow somewhere. We had went through the fun house several times that day so I had shot the revolver quite a bit between both courses. I have also seen Smith rear sight bars come flying off at least a half dozen times over the years and the main spring screws back out after a lot of shooting.

Ard Choille!
skeeterbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2019, 16:27   #12
Timber Wolf
Registered

Further update. I forgot to mention I picked up a sweet Simply Rugged pancake holster, cheap. Really poor pic (only one) coupled with no mention of what it fit. I was the only bidder and took a risk that I had something it fit. As luck would have it the 4" SP is a good fit. I am not even going to work it over for a better fit, I think just wearing it will work it in fine. Now I just need to get some camp time to wear my sweetie in it's new holster. I love real steel and real leather. And no you pervs, I am not talking about whips and chains.

Old February 19, 2019, 17:38   #13
skeeterbay
Veteran Member
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 20461
I really like Simply Rugged holsters. I have their holsters for many of my single actions, a couple of smith revolvers and my SP101 in 357, which I carry IWB with the added straps. It makes a handy CC rig.

Ard Choille!
skeeterbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2019, 07:29   #14
Timber Wolf
Registered

Well damn, just when I thought I was golden with the SP "it" happens. I broke down and invested in a Speed Beez loader and a loading block. This combo works great and makes quick loading of the SP a snap. I retire to the range last weekend for a little quality time with the revolver and discover the point of impact is a good 2-2 1/2" right of point of aim at 15 yards. And the rear sight refuses to go any farther left. It is visibly to the right of being centered in the base and I can crank the screw all the way out and back in but it will not go any farther left. Oh well.

Old March 16, 2019, 20:28   #15
Timber Wolf
Registered

So, I take the SP by my guy tonight. With his Leatherman tool and a paper clip he "fixes" the SP on his kitchen counter. No bull, we did not even walk down to the shop. Anyway, the screw would not push the sight left nor could you could push the blade left by hand. But, with the screw completely removed and by pushing an unbent paper clip in against the spring you could push the sight blade all the way left. We held it over and reinserted the screw. The sight will move back right when the screw is backed off. So, I will try again to adjust the sights by slowly backing the screw out until I am on. Cause I will not have my gunsmith or a paper clip at the range.

Old March 16, 2019, 21:00   #16
Robere'
Registered

FALaholic #: 64784
HI Timber Wolf,
A trip back to Ruger might be in order. They are pretty quick and thorough. I had to send back an SP 101 in .22 and they replaced some parts as it had a timimg problem. Hope it works out.
Best,
Rob
Robere' is online now   Reply With Quote