Go Back   The FAL Files > Discussion Forums > Survival & Preparedness

Notices

Old July 19, 2018, 06:52   #1
RG Coburn
Registered

FALaholic #: 27406
You ARE on your own

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-...aria-aftermath

"The Federal Emergency Management Agency has admitted they made deadly mistakes in the aftermath of Hurricane Maria. FEMA admits that they were not prepared at all to handle the situation in Puerto Rico, and people likely lost their lives relying on the government agency."

No...the people who died in Puerto Rico died because they failed to prepare,themselves. The ARRL put out a call during Maria,for 50 hams to volunteer to go to Puerto Rico. The friggin' island couldn't come up with 50 hams? Of their own? Out of how many residents? The Mayor of San Juan,bitching about the fed gov while standing in front of masses of foodstuffs,and wearing newly printed message hats and tee shirts?
Now we find out the power company there was taking bribes to get power back on at places like strip clubs ahead of hospitals. Nice.
RG Coburn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 19, 2018, 11:04   #2
Bawana jim
Registered

FALaholic #: 17482
It's a fact you better learn how to live on your own, what happens when all your people are gone?
Old July 19, 2018, 15:32   #3
BiGB808
Registered

FALaholic #: 18195
mayor was recently arrested: )

Old July 19, 2018, 16:17   #4
easttex
Registered

FALaholic #: 20438
The government in Puerto Rico wants to play the victim card and deflect blame onto Trump for their inadequacies. Only, the deeper you deep, the more rotten the situation down there is, the harder it is to point fingers towards the Feds.

An old man once told me that you should be careful how you make your bed because you'll have to sleep it. That's a hard lesson for some people to learn....

Molon labe
easttex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 19, 2018, 19:35   #5
RG Coburn
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiGB808 View Post
mayor was recently arrested: )
I heard that. Wasn't sure if it was true yet.
Were I Trump,I would have put her under arrest for obstruction of emergency operations. No different than slicing a firehose. And the hats and tee shirts show premeditation.Planned out.Conspiracy.
Old July 20, 2018, 14:19   #6
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 67949
RG, folks that make friends, make arrangements before hand, before problems come along, are the ones that have some place to run too, something to eat, a means to get away, when everyone else is hiding in a corner of a destroyed building, cold, wet, hungry waiting for someone to save them.

The best survival plan, have some place to go, a means to get there, enough to protect you and yours on the trip, and friends/like minded folks waiting for you when you and yours arrive.

Long term Survival in today's world depends on other people and so many of today's people can't get along, work together in times of peace and safety, and they sure as hell won;t learn to get along with one another when it all goes bad.

I have one of the worlds largest nuke plants north west of me, got a plan to get the hell out of here, the means to get there, to a safe destination, and none of it counts on the government for anything.

Most folks can't cross a major city alone, much less a large section of the country.

It ain't the firearms they are wanting to be rid of, its you!
yellowhand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2018, 15:14   #7
tdb59
Are We Awake ?
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 63177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bawana jim View Post

...... what happens when all your people are gone?

More time to read a good book, without interruptions....

https://youtu.be/UAxARJyaTEA

tdb59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2018, 15:43   #8
RG Coburn
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowhand View Post
RG, folks that make friends, make arrangements before hand, before problems come along, are the ones that have some place to run too, something to eat, a means to get away, when everyone else is hiding in a corner of a destroyed building, cold, wet, hungry waiting for someone to save them.

The best survival plan, have some place to go, a means to get there, enough to protect you and yours on the trip, and friends/like minded folks waiting for you when you and yours arrive.

Long term Survival in today's world depends on other people and so many of today's people can't get along, work together in times of peace and safety, and they sure as hell won;t learn to get along with one another when it all goes bad.

I have one of the worlds largest nuke plants north west of me, got a plan to get the hell out of here, the means to get there, to a safe destination, and none of it counts on the government for anything.

Most folks can't cross a major city alone, much less a large section of the country.
Well,in the case of Puerto rico,its a frickin' island...in the center of hurricane alley.these idiots should be the very model of disaster preparedness and response efficiency. We should be begging them for advice,not them begging us to come fix all their shit...and feed them...and oh,my cellular service is out...still see the images of those idiots standing in front of busted cell towers with their phones over their heads,as if an additional 2 feet of elevation is going to solve the problem.

It's a pretty good sized island. There should be scores of neat places to stash supplies,and commo gear. There should be a way-above-average number of hams there to handle any communication problems. But all we saw was the chubby Mayor standing there in clean clothes,bitching about how nothing was getting done,it was all someone else's job,or fault,blah,blah,blah...in front of pallets of canned food. Cripes,the frickin' VC and NVA put it on bicycles and trudged it thru the jungles of southeast Asia. How hard would it be for her fat lazy ass to fill a wheelbarrow or shopping cart and just push the shit down the road? Seriously.
I tell ya. We are long overdue for a hell of a moron culling.
Old July 20, 2018, 15:51   #9
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34604
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdb59 View Post

Always liked that TZ episode. Serling was a hell of a good producer of entertainment. Timeless.

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.
meltblown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2018, 16:26   #10
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 67949
Quote:
Originally Posted by RG Coburn View Post
Well,in the case of Puerto rico,its a frickin' island...in the center of hurricane alley.these idiots should be the very model of disaster preparedness and response efficiency. We should be begging them for advice,not them begging us to come fix all their shit...and feed them...and oh,my cellular service is out...still see the images of those idiots standing in front of busted cell towers with their phones over their heads,as if an additional 2 feet of elevation is going to solve the problem.

It's a pretty good sized island. There should be scores of neat places to stash supplies,and commo gear. There should be a way-above-average number of hams there to handle any communication problems. But all we saw was the chubby Mayor standing there in clean clothes,bitching about how nothing was getting done,it was all someone else's job,or fault,blah,blah,blah...in front of pallets of canned food. Cripes,the frickin' VC and NVA put it on bicycles and trudged it thru the jungles of southeast Asia. How hard would it be for her fat lazy ass to fill a wheelbarrow or shopping cart and just push the shit down the road? Seriously.
I tell ya. We are long overdue for a hell of a moron culling.
Yep on all counts!

Got a large island, right in the path of all hurricanes being formed, got some fair sized areas well above sea level, small mountains.

How damn hard is it to make concrete bunkers, enough for everyone on the island to duck into, seal the doors shut, turn on the generators, vented of course, cook up a decent meal, pass out water, all stored and in place, open the infirmary, open the school, assign work details, turn on the ball game from the protected satellite up links, and have a party til it blows over.

Then issue out the chain saws, roll the protected vehicles out of storage, clear the roads, sleep in the concrete shelters at night, rebuild the country/island from pre stocked supplies, etc.

Will never work, they will never prepare, hell, they are permanent VICTIMS, someone else has to take care of.

Shit, tell everyone on that island, here is the deal, we ain't coming next time for 6 weeks, not one damn thing or person.

You're on your own.

6 weeks, all the dead heads will be dead, those that survive, won't screw up again and will prepare, or simply move to someplace safer.

Rebuilding naturally flooded areas, areas hit/wiped out 4 or 5 times in past 25 years, is simply stupid.

You want/demand to live there, you are on your own.

It ain't the firearms they are wanting to be rid of, its you!
yellowhand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2018, 21:52   #11
Bawana jim
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdb59 View Post

Last recent book I read, and it's a great book, was The Operator by Robert O'Neil. He was the seal that shot Osama. Chock full of information and a good look at how war is waged. I have a few more books added to the pile to read, Jesse Stone and Longmire will be good reading.
Old July 21, 2018, 11:14   #12
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
Puerto Rico and Haiti need to be declared unhabitable and made into wildlife refuges. Have a ton of friends down there putting cell system and phone system back together. One left 20 year job with Ma Bell as was offered more for six months services down there than could make in five here and has been there for almost a year and has no idea when will be home as system keeps imploding. He finally called me and offered $1,000 day to come down and guaranteed six days a week for six months to run a crew but my back is past climbing towers six days a week, especially crappy @$$ third world country towers.

May be a U.S. territory but their infrastructure sucks. Buddy said power poles in cities and towns that were meant for one set of wires had extensions added at least twice with three sets of wires on poles set in gourd to support 1/3 their load. Been in Peru and Bolivia during earthquakes and their lack of building codes or enforcement means you better get as far from any structures as possible fast as can as crap will be falling. Reason 10x people die as should is they don't have any rules or standards. Should watch a construction project in Switzerland, bet their cost to build is double U.S. but buildings are basically bomb proof with triple seal doors and such. Stood at a site where they were cutting a tree next to road and had two helicopters that would fly each limb and section of trunk cut away to safe place to drop. Safest work site ever saw doing tree removal, totally mesmerizing.

I am prepared to be on my own. I handle emergency ham radio traffic out of most hurricane hit areas. Was amazing how quiet Puerto Rico was but Haiti is booming in with stations after every event but most are from faith based groups that paid their own way to place themselves in harms way. I rolled into Katrina and Gustav but no more. New Orleans people deserved what the people they elected did for them, nothing. Just blame the Feds unless it's Obama. Think Hitlary would have been criticized over any of this? Trump was to blame for anything? Lunacy.

Unless the earth opens up and swallows my house we are good to go for six to twelve months and then we have to be working to secure our future beyond that. If not helping others probably have two years food. Five years meds now and can cut dosage in half and just feel really bad for a decade but funcionable and live. Have two ham shacks in house, one at work, one mobile, build another from radios in trucks parked in front yard plus another entire shack packed in Faraday boxes in the pit. Have enough battery power to run two all band all mode HF rigs along with three dual band or quad band mobiles for a couple months. Have enough ammo to build a 20 foot wall of bodies just beyond the fence line in 360 radius around house and maintain it for a year or two if people are willing to climb a pile of skeletons mixed with rotting corpses.

Have spent a lifetime working as first responder, emergency responder, volunteered with NAMB, LDS, FEMA, GEMA and more but now the next generation can take up that and I am just watching over my household and will pass traffic if asked from comfort of my shack. Look at Haiti, it's been proven that hurricanes cause more than double the damage than they should because of the mismanagement of resources Haitian people have brought on themselves. Same with Puerto Rico and others.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 21, 2018, 11:57   #13
Bawana jim
Registered

In a book by Jeff Cooper there was a story about a German captured by the Russians who made an escape. The story goes he couldn't find anyone in the camp with the will to survive that wanted to make an escape. I have no idea if the story is true but it's a good story.

If you look at America who has the will to survive the hardships that will take place? Heck we have record suicides in America and things are not near tuff yet. I believe when the prepped grub runs out most preppers will die but most of them allready dug their grave anyway. Just opinion, I guess we will see if it ever happens.