The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Discussion Forums > General Non-Firearms Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 11, 2018, 17:51   #1
Retired Bum
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 21904
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,617
Almost gave into temptation today

Oscar Wilde is quoted as saying that he could resist anything but temptation.....

So this afternoon I drove past the local Ford dealership and saw a new 5.0 liter Mustang GT ragtop on display. Back in 2006 I did the same thing and ended up trading my 2005 Mustang V6 coupe on a new 2007 GT ragtop.

Looked over the 2018 and I had to admit that it looked to be an improvement on the 2007 I had. Sexy looking beast with at least 125 more BHP than the 4.6 liter V8 in the 2007. But pricey to say the least. I like pony cars. Have owned eight of them over the years. Last was a 2012 Camaro SS ragtop with the 6.2 liter 400 BHP V8. Let it go two years ago.

I could easily afford the new GT. I would just take the money out of my savings account. But I decided to take a pass this time. I've owned five convertibles over the years. Don't need number six.....

And so it goes.


The Retired One
Retired Bum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2018, 18:10   #2
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor
 
FALaholic #: 34604
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: SA Tx
Posts: 12,390
I saw one of those Shelby stangs on the showroom when I picked up my fleet car. It did look nice. I have never been a ragtop type. The noise irritates me. Plus I dont like people seeing me when Im picking my nose or cussing at the traffic.
__________________
Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.
meltblown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2018, 18:12   #3
Right Side Up
Old Fart
Silver Contributor
 
Right Side Up's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 43
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Texas
Posts: 7,059
I doesn't make any sense to me to spend a ton of money on a car and watch its value go down a bunch every year. I see people do it every day. I have a friend that just spent 70k on a new Dodge truck, and it's not even a dually or 4 wheel drive. Just a nice truck. WOW!

I'd rather buy a restored vintage vehicle that will increase a little every year. They're cooler anyway.
Right Side Up is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2018, 18:14   #4
Right Side Up
Old Fart
Silver Contributor
 
Right Side Up's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 43
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Texas
Posts: 7,059
Quote:
Originally Posted by meltblown View Post
I saw one of those Shelby stangs on the showroom when I picked up my fleet car. It did look nice. I have never been a ragtop type. The noise irritates me.
Have you listened to the VooDoo engine in the GT350? It has the flat crank engine. When the exhaust opens up at wide open throttle it will curdle my blood. Most horrible sounding engine I've ever heard. Makes power though.
Right Side Up is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2018, 18:16   #5
tdb59
Does this smell funny ?
Bronze Contributor
 
tdb59's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 63177
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: ironsman.com
Posts: 9,832
Quote:
Originally Posted by Right Side Up View Post
I doesn't make any sense to me to spend a ton of money on a car and watch its value go down a bunch every year. I see people do it every day. I have a friend that just spent 70k on a new Dodge truck, and it's not even a dually or 4 wheel drive. Just a nice truck. WOW!

.............
True.


__________________
"Go see some old friends. Drink some punch, visit with what's-her-name. Don't kill anybody for a few days -- see what it feels like."

...............
tdb59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2018, 18:18   #6
Zimm
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 76302
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Palmetto Florida
Posts: 207
I always wanted a convertible so couple years back got a soft top jeep.
It was gone in 6months .one summer in Florida and you will not drive a convertible much.when I had the top off anytime you sat still ,man did I roast in that thing .
Zimm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2018, 18:26   #7
imacoonass01
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 80275
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Vidor, TX
Posts: 652
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimm View Post
I always wanted a convertible so couple years back got a soft top jeep.
It was gone in 6months .one summer in Florida and you will not drive a convertible much.when I had the top off anytime you sat still ,man did I roast in that thing .
But, I bet you looked good while cooking.
__________________
You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas. - - Davy Crockett
imacoonass01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2018, 18:29   #8
Invictus77
1C 16:13
Bronze Contributor
 
Invictus77's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 74205
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Western, KY
Posts: 6,071
The last new personal vehicle I bought was an '07 F150 crew cab, XLT, 4X4. It now has about 186,000 miles and still looks good, drives great, and does everything I want in a daily driver. I paid about $27K I believe. The exact same truck in a new '18 model is somewhere around $45K.

My first house I bought, sitting on an acre of ground, was bought in 1985 for $32K.

I could write a check for a new truck tomorrow and someday I will have to do so I suppose, but I really have a personal "hang up" with paying more for a vehicle that will only depreciate, than what I paid for that first house.

My current plan is to do proper maintenance and drive this '07 until one of us dies.
__________________
A 9 mm "might" expand
A 45 will NEVER shrink!!
Invictus77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2018, 20:22   #9
Retired Bum
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 21904
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,617
So what do you think that house you bought in 1985 for 32K would cost now?

Probably north of 100K if in nice condition.

I like new cars. Never bought a used vehicle of any kind and that includes 14 motorcycles between 1973 and 2000. I will not buy someone else's problem. Yes, I know, the salesman will tell you a pack of lies about how well it was cared for. Being a confirmed bachelor with no one but myself to support I have always indulged myself when it comes to my two passions. Automobiles and firearms. I gave up riding MC's because it was just getting too dangerous IMHO. Too many idiots out there talking on their cellphones and not paying that first bit of attention to what is around them. On a MC you are just about invisible to them....

I'm still thinking about that GT 5.0 liter. But then I really don't need to spend that kind of money on a new toy these days. OTOH I can't take it to my grave with me.....

And so it goes.


The Retired One
Retired Bum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2018, 21:01   #10
martin35
un muy viejo gringo
Contributor
Bronze Contributor
 
FALaholic #: 2939
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Texas on the Brazos
Posts: 25,938
Waiting to die in city traffic costs more than it used to.
So does doing butt skids on the white carpet... ones fun the other ain't.
martin35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2018, 21:03   #11
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor
 
Texgunner's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 4653
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Brokenoak in central Texas-Milam county
Posts: 7,352
Aw hell man, go ahead and buy that beast! You know you won't regret it one bit either.

My attorney has one of those I believe. It's some kinda bad-ass looking ride with steamroller tires. Seems like he mentioned 500+ HP? It keeps company with his Shelby Cobra roadster, build number 81, with a 260 V8 and the first Cobra to leave the factory with tube headers.

Yeah, write the check and burn a little rubber as you pull out of the lot. There ya go!
__________________
My daddy was a cowboy in his younger days, wild as the west Texas wind. He once told me, "Son, death is a horse you got to ride. So you better get your saddle ready."

heavily armed, easily pissed.
Texgunner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2018, 21:27   #12
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor
 
FALaholic #: 34604
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: SA Tx
Posts: 12,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Right Side Up View Post
Have you listened to the VooDoo engine in the GT350? It has the flat crank engine. When the exhaust opens up at wide open throttle it will curdle my blood. Most horrible sounding engine I've ever heard. Makes power though.
I do admit I think the new Mustangs are just noisy. Very harsh and obtrusive.

If I had some money to play around with an early 70's Stingray...would prefer a C2 but crazy expenisive. Heck a 280Z would be a hoot if it was in nice shape and play with some engine mods. Heck I'd take my old 2001 vet back.
__________________
Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.
meltblown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2018, 21:46   #13
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor
 
Texgunner's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 4653
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Brokenoak in central Texas-Milam county
Posts: 7,352
Quote:
Originally Posted by meltblown View Post
Heck a 280Z would be a hoot if it was in nice shape and play with some engine mods.
My son and I were talking about an engine swap just last weekend. We were speculating on a good donor for a Nissan VQ 3.7 V6. The one in my wife's Infinity QX50 produces 325 HP and it's rear-wheel drive. I drove Nissan Maximas (2004, 2011 and 2014) and one Altima Coupe(2008) since 2004 and all had the VQ engine and all ran like a scalded dog. That QX50 is good for 0-60 in under 6 seconds and quarter mile times in the high 14 seconds. Homely little thing just runs and handles like a beast!

My son's "donor car" suggestion was a Datsun Z car of some vintage. A 280 would do fine. I'd imagine one could source the drivetrain from a wrecked Infinity and find a basket-case Z-car without a lot of trouble...at least it would stay "all in the family".
__________________
My daddy was a cowboy in his younger days, wild as the west Texas wind. He once told me, "Son, death is a horse you got to ride. So you better get your saddle ready."

heavily armed, easily pissed.
Texgunner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2018, 22:39   #14
Tak
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 27291
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: United States, Georgia
Posts: 1,271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired Bum View Post
Oscar Wilde is quoted as saying that he could resist anything but temptation.....

So this afternoon I drove past the local Ford dealership and saw a new 5.0 liter Mustang GT ragtop on display. Back in 2006 I did the same thing and ended up trading my 2005 Mustang V6 coupe on a new 2007 GT ragtop.

Looked over the 2018 and I had to admit that it looked to be an improvement on the 2007 I had. Sexy looking beast with at least 125 more BHP than the 4.6 liter V8 in the 2007. But pricey to say the least. I like pony cars. Have owned eight of them over the years. Last was a 2012 Camaro SS ragtop with the 6.2 liter 400 BHP V8. Let it go two years ago.

I could easily afford the new GT. I would just take the money out of my savings account. But I decided to take a pass this time. I've owned five convertibles over the years. Don't need number six.....

And so it goes.


The Retired One
For the crazy sticker price on the new GT , why not by a 60's classic? Sure not the same performance but the look and feel is like nothing else. And it will keep or go up in value, unlike the new GT.

I think 67-68 was the best year for the convertibles.
Tak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2018, 22:53   #15
Right Side Up
Old Fart
Silver Contributor
 
Right Side Up's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 43
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Texas
Posts: 7,059
Quote:
Originally Posted by meltblown View Post
I do admit I think the new Mustangs are just noisy. Very harsh and obtrusive.

If I had some money to play around with an early 70's Stingray...would prefer a C2 but crazy expenisive. Heck a 280Z would be a hoot if it was in nice shape and play with some engine mods. Heck I'd take my old 2001 vet back.
I like the C3 Vette's as well. The early ones. I had a friend a long time ago that bought a 280Z and right away swapped in a healthy Small Block Chevy engine into it. The factory 280Z engine was pretty solid and took a lot of abuse. Bob Bondurant used those cars for a while at his driving school in the early 80's.
Right Side Up is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2018, 23:26   #16
Retired Bum
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 21904
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,617
American made automobiles from the 1960's up to the mid 1990's were in general nothing more than slap dashed together junk IMNHO....

The maximum loan period on a new US made car was 36 months. Know why? Because they weren't expected to last any longer than three years. This is why German and Japanese made vehicles were selling so well during that time period. They didn't fall apart like US made cars did.

Yes, I know that some people have been driving the same car/truck for 20 plus years. Good on them for being able to do so. But they are a small minority....

Now 60 and even 72 month loans are made all the time. Quality and reliability went up. Do any of know what the warranty was on a new Harley Davidison motorcycle in the early to mid 1970's? Ninety days or 3000 miles. AMF was knocking H-D's out as fast as they could make them. Some real junk ass MC's which almost put H-D out of business.

No way would I spend any money on an old "classic" US made vehicle with two or four wheels. They basically sucked compared to what is being produced today.

And so it goes.


The Retired One
Retired Bum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2018, 02:38   #17
SWOHFAL
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 34346
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: The not quite as disgusting RINO state
Posts: 19,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired Bum View Post
Oscar Wilde is quoted as saying that he could resist anything but temptation.....

So this afternoon I drove past the local Ford dealership and saw a new 5.0 liter Mustang GT ragtop on display. Back in 2006 I did the same thing and ended up trading my 2005 Mustang V6 coupe on a new 2007 GT ragtop.

Looked over the 2018 and I had to admit that it looked to be an improvement on the 2007 I had. Sexy looking beast with at least 125 more BHP than the 4.6 liter V8 in the 2007. But pricey to say the least. I like pony cars. Have owned eight of them over the years. Last was a 2012 Camaro SS ragtop with the 6.2 liter 400 BHP V8. Let it go two years ago.

I could easily afford the new GT. I would just take the money out of my savings account. But I decided to take a pass this time. I've owned five convertibles over the years. Don't need number six.....

And so it goes.


The Retired One
New Camaro gets better marks than the Mustang from testers.
__________________
Man is tormented by no greater anxiety than to find someone quickly to whom he can hand over that great gift of freedom with which the ill-fated creature is born.

- Fyodor Dostoevsky
SWOHFAL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2018, 08:53   #18
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor
 
Texgunner's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 4653
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Brokenoak in central Texas-Milam county
Posts: 7,352
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWOHFAL View Post
New Camaro gets better marks than the Mustang from testers.
That may be true, but the current Mustangs are really handsome cars. I've seen good looking new Camaros of course, but to my eyes, the Mustang is a better looking coupe.
__________________
My daddy was a cowboy in his younger days, wild as the west Texas wind. He once told me, "Son, death is a horse you got to ride. So you better get your saddle ready."

heavily armed, easily pissed.
Texgunner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2018, 09:12   #19
jhend170
Registered
Contributor
 
jhend170's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 76477
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 1,580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texgunner View Post
My son and I were talking about an engine swap just last weekend. We were speculating on a good donor for a Nissan VQ 3.7 V6. The one in my wife's Infinity QX50 produces 325 HP and it's rear-wheel drive. I drove Nissan Maximas (2004, 2011 and 2014) and one Altima Coupe(2008) since 2004 and all had the VQ engine and all ran like a scalded dog. That QX50 is good for 0-60 in under 6 seconds and quarter mile times in the high 14 seconds. Homely little thing just runs and handles like a beast!

My son's "donor car" suggestion was a Datsun Z car of some vintage. A 280 would do fine. I'd imagine one could source the drivetrain from a wrecked Infinity and find a basket-case Z-car without a lot of trouble...at least it would stay "all in the family".
Some years ago there was a dealership pretty close to my house that specialized in interesting and custom vehicles. Took a few test drives but was fortunately smart enough in my early 20s to not pull the trigger on anything as I'd probably not be here to annoy all you ol' fuggs! One of those was a 280z that someone had shoehorned a hot little 327 chevy into with a T-10 4spd. It was INSANELY fast! That same day they also had a 67 Chevelle with the L-88 427. That was damned fast as well, but I think the light little z was faster.

As for the OP... go buy the thing. Why outlive your $$$, and do so without actually living? If you don't like the soft top go hard top, they perform better and are far quieter if that means something, but the modern convertibles have come a long way in both areas. Get busy livin' or get busy dyin'.
jhend170 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2018, 09:22   #20
TenTea
Registered
Contributor
 
TenTea's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 72247
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Wisco
Posts: 3,910
My dad is in his mid-70's now and he saw and old high school classmate driving around town in a new (not sure what year or model) yellow Corvette.
Dad asked why he decided to purchase that particular vehicle and the classmate's reply was: "I'm gonna be dead a long time."

__________________
Wears a backpack.
Rounder upper at MidwayUSA.
Favorite color: ham
Wife's favorite color: glitter
TenTea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2018, 11:05   #21
AliYahu
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 11084
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,183
Get a coupe, and enjoy it!

Eli
AliYahu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2018, 23:44   #22
SWOHFAL
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 34346
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: The not quite as disgusting RINO state
Posts: 19,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texgunner View Post
That may be true, but the current Mustangs are really handsome cars. I've seen good looking new Camaros of course, but to my eyes, the Mustang is a better looking coupe.
I'd prefer sounding and driving better to looks, especially since I'm going to be in it, not admiring it. Last I checked, the Car and Driver long-term Camaro SS didn't even have any warranty issues that it went back for - which sure impressed the hell out of them.
__________________
Man is tormented by no greater anxiety than to find someone quickly to whom he can hand over that great gift of freedom with which the ill-fated creature is born.

- Fyodor Dostoevsky
SWOHFAL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2018, 07:22   #23
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor
 
Texgunner's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 4653
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Brokenoak in central Texas-Milam county
Posts: 7,352
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWOHFAL View Post
I'd prefer sounding and driving better to looks, especially since I'm going to be in it, not admiring it. Last I checked, the Car and Driver long-term Camaro SS didn't even have any warranty issues that it went back for - which sure impressed the hell out of them.
I'm sure it did. That is quite a feat for a GM product. Even a blind hog finds an acorn now and then. I've driven Nissan products since 2001 and feel pretty good about having only one warranty claim in that time; a power-window issue on a 2001 Xterra. Maybe you should buy a new Camaro? I sure wouldn't turn one down.
__________________
My daddy was a cowboy in his younger days, wild as the west Texas wind. He once told me, "Son, death is a horse you got to ride. So you better get your saddle ready."

heavily armed, easily pissed.
Texgunner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2018, 08:17   #24
pistolero1911
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 75616
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Ohio, USA
Posts: 478
Get that 'stang GT. YOLO in action.

Full disclosure: I caved and bought a Mustang a few years back, great investment for smiles per mile.
__________________
Three kinds of men exist: Those who wish they owned a FAL; those who own a FAL but wish it was a Para; and those who own a Para = Nirvana.
pistolero1911 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2018, 17:40   #25
Retired Bum
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 21904
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,617
I dropped by the Ford dealership and noticed that the 2018 GT ragtop was gone. It had been sold yesterday.....

Now I don't have to give it anymore thought. I was told that the 2019 models will be arriving soon though.

And so it goes.


The Retired One
Retired Bum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2018, 18:50   #26
AliYahu
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 11084
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired Bum View Post
I dropped by the Ford dealership and noticed that the 2018 GT ragtop was gone. It had been sold yesterday.....

Now I don't have to give it anymore thought. I was told that the 2019 models will be arriving soon though.

And so it goes.


The Retired One
I believe there's going to be a 700+ HP Mustang available.

Eli
AliYahu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2018, 20:34   #27
Retired Bum
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 21904
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,617
I have to wonder about the US pony/muscle cars with big horse power numbers running between 500-800. That 400 BHP Camaro SS ragtop I had gave me all of the performance I could ask for.

I know that to some people there is no such thing as too much power be it in motor vehicles, firearms, and computers. Performance comes at a high cost and wear and tear.

And so it goes.


The Retired One
Retired Bum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2018, 20:43   #28
kfranz
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor
 
FALaholic #: 101
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Central Wisconsin
Posts: 4,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired Bum View Post
I have to wonder about the US pony/muscle cars with big horse power numbers running between 500-800. That 400 BHP Camaro SS ragtop I had gave me all of the performance I could ask for.

I know that to some people there is no such thing as too much power be it in motor vehicles, firearms, and computers. Performance comes at a high cost and wear and tear.

And so it goes.

%
The Retired One
And a 2000 Saab Viggen vert will give 94% of the performance with 30% of the horsepower at 6% of the price. But I'm cheap like that.
kfranz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2018, 20:46   #29
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor
 
FALaholic #: 34604
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: SA Tx
Posts: 12,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired Bum View Post
I have to wonder about the US pony/muscle cars with big horse power numbers running between 500-800. That 400 BHP Camaro SS ragtop I had gave me all of the performance I could ask for.

I know that to some people there is no such thing as too much power be it in motor vehicles, firearms, and computers. Performance comes at a high cost and wear and tear.

And so it goes.


The Retired One
LS2 Chevy engine works well. Lots of computers and stuff keeps it running. I'm not sold. Had an LS1 in a Corvette kept as a driver for 8 years. Wish I had it back. It would be fun to play with. The new vettes are so damn ugly but make good HP.
__________________
Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.
meltblown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2018, 21:09   #30
Invictus77
1C 16:13
Bronze Contributor
 
Invictus77's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 74205
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Western, KY
Posts: 6,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by meltblown View Post
damn ugly but make good HP.
My #2 boy is the sports car guy in the family and always has been. He has had many fast cars through the years, but his current daily driver is a Mercedes 4-door coupe something or other that just looks like a gray, generic, plain-Jane daily driver to me, but the thing has over 600HP. WTF?
__________________
A 9 mm "might" expand
A 45 will NEVER shrink!!
Invictus77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2018, 22:17   #31
Tak
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 27291
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: United States, Georgia
Posts: 1,271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired Bum View Post
I have to wonder about the US pony/muscle cars with big horse power numbers running between 500-800. That 400 BHP Camaro SS ragtop I had gave me all of the performance I could ask for.

I know that to some people there is no such thing as too much power be it in motor vehicles, firearms, and computers. Performance comes at a high cost and wear and tear.

And so it goes.


The Retired One
After 500 HP it just gets silly unless you plan to run on the drag strip or race track.

Got to drive a brand new Porsche 911 convertible for a test drive a few years ago, I think it had right around 450 HP. Low slung, big wide tires, handled like a slot car, and crazy stupid fast. Salesman encouraged us to see what it could do. Sure, it cost about $145,000.

His test route took us into a DOUBLE roundabout. I'd driven in a roundabout once in my life, and this was a pair of small connected roundabouts that were two lanes wide each. My strategy was to just floor it to get through them and by the time I exited the 2nd roundabout we were going like 80. Oops.

Then my wife took over and decided to play drag racer in front of a daycare in a 20mph school zone. Oops. She was doing 60 before I could yell SCHOOL ZONE SLOW DOWN.

I can't see much use for more HP than that thing had for normal street driving.
Tak is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:12.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
©1998-2018 The FAL Files