Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The AR Files

Notices

Old March 07, 2018, 18:43   #1
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
AR Platform Firearms & Calibers First Edition

Am a freak on reloading manuals, firearms history books, shop manuals and basically any print information can find relating to guns. Also buy tactical manuals including basically any book on firearms, use of them from sport to military tactics from sniping, small unit tactics and even mechanized unit operations and infantry up through squad, platoon and even battalion levels. I like specialty manuals as well so anytime see a book don't have add it to the collection. Have more firearms books than some libraries have on subjects like history or science.

Off topic of thread title:
This is possibly one of the best books I have bought recently on shooting techniques and how to hook up on difficult and complex firing solutions under difficult conditions.

Had this new book for a few days so not really ripped it apart but has a huge amount of information on AR special configurations from military units around the world including some very odd and some very interesting varients, especially late model special ops rigs from SEAL's to Marines, Army, Delta and more. Seen rifles have never seen before in any resource.

I already have three build ideas from the book which lays out all the specs needed for some cool clones. This is going to really up my build count on previously never or seldom seen poodle shooters. Every serious poodle shooter should add this to their collection and in addition to learning from it trying to make notes on info it's missing or may have alternative varients to see if writer is receptive to people submitting information to make his second edition even better.

One varient is an AR built in Phillipines as part of their MSSR program using M4's as the base chassis for a variety of Marine Scout Sniper Rifles with one called the NFWS. The Night Fighting Weapon System has a 1" bull barrel shrouded from front of receiver to muzzle making handguard and integral suppressor one continuous single unit. Supposidly very quiet even with supersonic ammo and set up with either night vision or daytime sniper scope. Have spent over an hour trying to find a picture of rifle shown in the new book but no joy. Used to having older books where information is not available on web but a freshly published book with M4 varients can't find on the web prove print sometimes is the best way to go plus will still be on my shelf post EMP.

While I have seen pics of the M26 MASS here and there before his section on development and specs for the system is fairly comprehensive and may have the perfect donor shotgun to build a semi accurate clone or at least nail a scatter gun under an AR for general house keeping chores. Some of the compact models on short barrel M4's for CQB and breaching doors are slick. Now to see if falls under Short Barrel Shotgun, Any Other Weapon, Destructive Device or if there is a way to make it a permanent part of rifle so that OAL is enough to bypass those issues but the real deal where can remove or replace with just a couple of ring pins is slick idea.

Have a AOW and an SBS at LGS along with a couple of Mossburg Shockwaves that could cobble up a clone that would cause liberals to die just seeing a picture and potential zombies heads to explode before pulling the trigger just from view down the double bores of business end. Put a door breaching choke in the scattergun barrel and could clear a structure real easily using your universal key whenever encountered a locked door unless hit a house like mine where some smart @$$ has doors that laugh at breaching rounds. Feel a lot of Form 1's being filed for in the near future as need some new ideas to get the build juices flowing.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 08, 2018, 15:45   #2
the gman
Registered

FALaholic #: 5179
Got a link to where you bought the book AR Platform Firearms & Calibers? Google is failing me...

God is on the side, not of the big battalions, but of the best shots- Voltaire

The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
-Alexis de Tocqueville
the gman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 09, 2018, 00:33   #3
fal762
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 66358
I'd love to have this book also. Can't find it either. It appears that Lulu.com is a self publishing house and they don't show the title or the author.
The only place I found it is in a download http://www.portail-prof.org/download...by-lulucom.pdf
Bibliographic information

Title AR Platform Firearms & Calibers
Author Martin R Mason
Publisher Lulu.com
ISBN 1329006380, 9781329006386

Did more searching. Apparently it is only available by download (that I have so far found) from quite a few different sources.

Finally found it on Kindle http://www.downloadkindlebook.live/c...ibers/firearms

Last edited by fal762; March 09, 2018 at 01:16. Reason: More info added
fal762 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 09, 2018, 10:26   #4
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

I got it from Google. Great book, Martin R. Mason author. Odd but lots of rifles I have never seen in all my years of chasing poodle shooters.

https://books.google.com/books?id=34...6AEwCHoECAEQAQ
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat

Last edited by hueyville; March 09, 2018 at 10:33.
Old March 09, 2018, 17:13   #5
fal762
Registered
Contributor

Hit the GET PRINT BOOK button and the following comes up
Buy this book

Find in a library

Seller Price Seller rating
Amazon.com No price No rating
Barnes&Noble.com No price No rating
Books-A-Million No price No rating
IndieBound No price No rating

Hopefully it will come back into a print book as I would rather have a print copy then an electronic copy. That and a couple of the download sites brought a popup phishing warning.
Old March 09, 2018, 17:14   #6
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

This is just one of many varients found in this book am going to clone. It's a heavy barrel integrally suppressed night vision sniper rifle used by Phillipine Military. While the Russians are feeding them weapons now they have so many M4's and 5.56 ammo they try to build as many specialty rifles as possible on the M4 chassis.

It's amazing how many countries have done odd variations on the M4. Have a pair of new in box night vision scopes can use for this build and heavy barrel need, just have to Form 1 a suppressor that mates up properly and gets this odd looking profile of long pipe sticking out of an AR with a N.V. scope on top. Already found pile of rifles to clone from the book with enough info to make them close enough that most would never know as have never seen.
Old March 09, 2018, 20:03   #7
Andy2205
Registered

FALaholic #: 26110
If you have a Ollie's Discount Outlet nearby, you should check out their book section frequently. Some very good coffee table books at a huge discount. I recently bought about $120 worth of books for less than $20. Those were all hard covers. I passed on some paperbacks that were around the same value.
Old March 09, 2018, 22:32   #8
fly2.0
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 79608
Quote:
Originally Posted by fal762 View Post
Hit the GET PRINT BOOK button and the following comes up
Buy this book

Find in a library

Seller Price Seller rating
Amazon.com No price No rating
Barnes&Noble.com No price No rating
Books-A-Million No price No rating
IndieBound No price No rating

Hopefully it will come back into a print book as I would rather have a print copy then an electronic copy. That and a couple of the download sites brought a popup phishing warning.

It said; ''No ebook avil.'' ?

********** The Ignore List Works Great **********
fly2.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2018, 11:40   #9
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Have to press the Get Print Book option only. I got same message on ebook as was going to buy both so had on my tablet and for library. The book has stuff that's common but 25% is stuff have either never seen or presented in manner author does. Like all such endeavors are some errors and dated info already but my guess is second edition will be better and by third this guy will have it dialed in. I have as many good books as possible such as Phil Sharpe & P.O. Akley in first through last editions, amazing how sometime good information is purged from earlier editions to make room for different info in newer editions.
Old March 20, 2018, 20:30   #10
V guy
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 10282
Huey,
Are there any listed:

PPSH-- 7.62 x 25 caliber AR's?
Stg44--- 7.68 x 33 caliber AR's?

How about 44 mag and 357 mag AR platforms?

Always wondered about those in an AR.
V guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20, 2018, 22:06   #11
Jaxxas
Don't Tread On Me!
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34933
Platform? Wankers abound!

A golf course is a complete waste of a good rifle range. Jarhead
Jaxxas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20, 2018, 22:11   #12
John A
Registered

FALaholic #: 73828
Vguy, magazines are always the biggest issue with "oddball" calibers.

seems like I recall a 7.62x25 upper at one time, based off of a 9mm magblock lower
John A is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 20, 2018, 22:13   #13
John A
Registered

Yep:
add $100 for 7.62x25
http://bazookabrothers.com/pages/shop/7?category=2
Old March 21, 2018, 10:13   #14
V guy
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 10282
That is amazing; PPSH caliber. 7.62 x 25 killed a lot of Nazi's.

The STG44's 7.68/33, is pretty close to 7.62/39 in ballistics anyway.
Gotta keep those old calibers alive.

That 45 super is interesting. I suppose that .44 mag is only a request away. 357 mag is a 9mm "Long".

The perfect AR caliber is out there.
V guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2018, 11:32   #15
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Will look later and see what all is listed, large portion of book is about available cartridges.
Old March 23, 2018, 14:33   #16
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by John A View Post
Yep:
add $100 for 7.62x25
Or add $0 for a used 16" 1:8 5.56 mystery barrel. Did best job I could on exterior cosmetics in a hurry but chamber and bore look great for a kids first AR. Paying forward is always a good thing as we need all the good gun karma possible. Only bad part is my post office. The mexicans have taken over and don't have a clue how to use simple shipping. One lady had used an overnight, Saturday before noon envelope and filled out forms with it for return receipt and could not understand why her price was $29 for envelope. They gave her a 1 to 3 day delivery envelope and she wanted them to address it as her kid had done the other and wasn't with her. Mail clerks are not allowed to package and address your stuff.

While this is going on there are three tellers without clients and the Mexican lady in line in front of me refused to move up as wanted to wait for the teller that speaky Spanish. They wave me forward and she spread her arms blocking the way demanding that I wait till she was served. The agent who helps people as go through line told her if waiting for Spanish speaking teller needs to let rest of line move past to tellers without clients. She reply nobody pass till me get my turn.

Meanwhile lady with Hispanic teller was flipping out as refused to leave line and address new envelope or pay $29 to use what she brought. Demanding teller fixxy for her and line jammed by next Hispanic lady in panic about gringos behind getting service before her and physically blocking lane. Finally another Spanish speaking employee come from back and tell her if no move to next available teller to let others or would have to call the police. She heard policia and freaked. Finally the barrel is headed your way. And people wonder why won't use U.S. Postal money orders, our post office is a freaking zoo.

Old March 23, 2018, 14:56   #17
John A
Registered

I made a 12ga shotgun follower to replace the plastic follower that was in the gun that his wife uses as primary HD and mailed it to a guy near your neck of the woods just today.

Two weeks ago, mailed an extended bolt knob for a guys savage bolt action that I made. I don't have a picture of it installed, but the guy said he was happy with it.

I'm a big fan of helping folks and paying it forward.
Old March 24, 2018, 11:49   #18
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Exactly why I don't want money for items I don't have any invested. If we all help,each other it always comes around. Might need you to make me a "flash hider" someday. ;-)

Also why do free AR upper repairs for Files members and friends along with squaring and honing milspec triggers for free. (Sent in bag, not lower) A little of my time to help others and spreading the overburden keeps the world spinning. Just noticed I let out your zip code but doubt that's a state secret, can pull hat if need but since you have not hit me with a threatening PM of sniping as walk out door with coffee in one hand and briefcase in other it's not a big deal.
Old April 03, 2018, 08:20   #19
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

My two most recent additions to the library. Don't care how much information is available on the web I like print books. The Competative AR 15, the ultimate technical guide. Has a lot of specs that everyone could use laying next to their build bench. A Utube video is not a comprehensive guide to building AR's.

New Lyman reloading book dedicated just to reloading for AR 15. It covers a dozen cartridges for the AR, most fairly common and no real wildcats but trust print books more than Internet data as wife has a publisher to sue if bolt carrier comes through my eye and buries itself in grey matter.

Pictures of front and contents pages should give y'all enough to search for them but mine came from MidSouth as was placing a big order and wanted my moneys worth from their $18.50 shipping fee but with all the 1,500 count boxes of Hornady 62 grain HPBT think the shipping was fair.
Old April 05, 2018, 09:15   #20
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Thought the above book "Competative AR Ultimate Technical Guide" was going to be an updated and revised version of this book which have had for a few years. Opening pages of the new book author says he is not rehashing his first book with a few updates but a deeper look at the tricks, tips and parts for building your 600 yard AR. He is not teaching how to build a 1/2 MOA AR 15 at 100 yards but a rifle and ammo that will shoot 4"4" groups at 600 yards. Says most of the rifles he builds are 1" at 100 yards and 1" at 200 yards. If want the basics to refer to previous book as a build guide. Am so used to people rearranging first addition with a few updates was pleasently suprised to read author say not going to repeat himself so if buy above book probably want the first book to go with it. Can't find where I put it so sniped pic off web.

Guess I need to gather up all my AR 15 shop manuals and books, refresh myself with content and decide which are must haves and which are optional. The book that started this thread is not a build book at all but history and varients of the AR done by different military institutions around the world. Since AR's are what I build most (next to motorcycles and electronics) like to have a myriad of references and know the history of the firearm to some degree. Meeting people who come into LGS and are stuck on a build to discover they never owned an AR till read on Internet or heard from friend can buy blem clearance parts off imternet, screw together on kitchen table and have an instant AR Betty Crocker shake & bake style.

Took wife to courthouse yesterday to renew our CCW/GWL's. Ladies that helped us were super fun and last one talked with us almost an hour and recommended I call a guy who teaches local active shooter course for churches and see if can come up with some way to coordinate efforts. We have three main people overlapping same thing now and might help if we all have a sit down. Something was said about AR's and I called it a "sporting rifle" she said had a guy in earlier that was a first time applicant whosaid as soon as his license came was going to buy and assault rifle. She told him it was not an assault rifle unless he had improper intentions then had no business owning one. Said he thought a moment and replied he had been using the wrong terminology forever, press and Hollywood is trying to sigmatize our sporting rifles with a nomenclature that makes them evil rather than the fun toy I have been playing with for 40 years.

Suggest all have some form of printed shop book if building. As gather all mine and go through and refresh myself on how information is presented will try to decide if one is a better choice and what each really covers. If anyone has a book they like or hate please post it up and why. I enjoy having a firearms library and have over 75 reloading manuals purchased over 43 years when got my first at age 12. One or two a year is almost mandatory to keep up with new powders and projectiles as released and to cross reference Barnes copper solids with Speer Gold Dots and SMK's. Bullets have vastly different construction methods and I like knowing what the people that developed them recommend for their bullet and same with each major powder maker along with guys who specialize in wildcats, tack driving accuracy or cases and case forming.
Old April 05, 2018, 11:47   #21
fal762
Registered
Contributor

I've got a few ,mostly older (90s and early 00s era), AR-centric books as well. I'll try to remember to get the title info and maybe some photos this weekend when I'm home.
Old April 05, 2018, 15:45   #22
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Right now opening boxes from three parts vendors with more coming. Bought the new book on building precision AR's for 200 to 600 yard applications and is full of small tricks never tried so have more odds and ends coming to put in guns that have exact pairs then can run side by side plus compare with before and after groups plus side by side same day, same conditions, same everything except new trick to see if works or not. Some $4.99 to $19.99 parts along with small changes in torque specifications or slight modification of a $5 to $10 part can afford to keep going back and forth with till see what does and does not help.

It's funny to see "new" techniques have been using for years and stuff "everyone knows" that I have never heard of before. I soak up these books fast first read through then go back again reading the stuff that's new slowly so able to digest and let soak in. I would like to find more historical print books from back in the day where writers were closer to the actual developmental years plus modern books like the one started the thread with that bear down on all the different military and special application use rifles and their stories. This latest really will not help a beginner build a rifle in 1, 2, 3 or A, B, C format. It explains why for varmint and long range across course rifles forward assist is not needed and why see so many "slick sides" or standard uppers with Forward Assist Delete kits on them so there is no potential of the assist pushing tail of bolt a tad causing alignment issues or just the big gaping hole adding structural weakness to upper. I can't remember using forward assist in years. If needed could push scallop in side of bolt or whack off against anything around including the ground or just cycle a fresh round but none of those have been required either. Funny how good gun with good ammo usually works.

Book one has more build info bit is still geared toward Service Rifle shooters and my "shop manuals" have the raw numbers on proper milspec sizes, tolerances and torque specs along with build order but less on refinement of a highly accurate 600 yard coyote killer. The first book has more information on non standard cartridges as this is a mostly 5.56 book. Like his comparison of triggers. Has info on how he tunes his two stage match triggers and why but also the advantages of a fast and short reset single stage trigger. Why I always through more than one answer out when folks say what is the best trigger as there is no best for all applications or shooters. He tears apart a Timney sealed trigger, explains it's weaknesses, advantages plus why it has to go back to Timney every few thousand rounds for a tune up or repair.

But have ordered one single stage trigger, half dozen various springs, myriad of small widgets and will be pulling my fleet of target, varmint, SPR, SDM and similar rifles to begin measuring every single firing pin hole size in bolts and other little things he recommends. Like me he does not believe in lightweight bolts. Basically if it's not an in spec Colt bolt in Colt carrier (says they are almost always in spec) doesn't go in his rifles. Lots of his recommended trigger tuning fools and tricks are exactly or very close to what I have been doing out of years of trial and error but he explains why it works instead of me just going on the evidence that works for me so will accept the results. Have tons of books on all sorts of guns as always been an avid reader, have a big bookshelf of gun books, two of Bibles, two of climbing guides/how to/historical books, then downstairs most of the reloading and military tactics books plus a shelf of electronics references. A lot are scattered about the house and work so a goal in spring cleaning this year is to get all the books where they belong and see what all I actually have and what may need to add.
Old April 06, 2018, 13:56   #23
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Am about 75 pages into the new book after first cursory run throughs. Here is what have taken away, always use billet lowers when possible for accuracy builds as pin locations for trigger line are usually more consistent which means whichever trigger chosen has better chance of working optimally. Use heavy wall slick side billet uppers as well for target, varmints and long range competition. Overall best selection across the board for bolts and carriers are Colt M16 just make sure to measure firing pin hole. There are other nice heavy plated carriers that work as well so just use a heavy bolt that's in spec.

Every section has a lot on spring selection, pretty much always go with chrome silicone and if use Superior Shooting Systems (David Tubbs) really can't go wrong with all but personal choice on trigger springs. On buffer springs a chrome silicone spring has triple the lifespan of a traditional piano wire spring and a flat wire spring will last for life. Forgoe all the ejector spring widgets and use a Superior Systems chrome silicone spring and it will never break and tune it by clipping one to three coils off. No rubber widgets to wear or rot. Many bolt makers use detent springs for ejector springs as cheap and saves stocking a special part and why Superior Systems chrome silicone springs come as a kit with ejector and extractor spring together and Brownells sells the kit for $10. Tubbs sells a kit that has every chrome silicone spring needed for high end AR build including flat wire buffer and magazine springs that is $67 and saves a fair amount of money buying individual.

If not a billet receiver person and trying to build a nice rifle then DPMS forged are your best option. Also back to bolts, adding weight is good. Superior Systems and others make weights that can be added in rear of carrier to adjust weight of bolt, carrier and gas to slow bolt as much as possible which increases time bolt is locked while reducing cyclic rate. Try to get your bolt travel as short as possible and still reliably pick up all loads you might use. Also suggests a polyurethane pad that sticks to front of buffer and pads the buffer and bolt beating together which combined with flat wire spring takes away most of the sproing, sproing sound AR's are renown for. When switched to roadside springs noticed reduction of signature buffer noise myself and in combination with mechanical buffer like MGI rate reduction or hydraulic buffers the noise from buffer tube all but goes away.

For fast courses he recommends single stage triggers for speed, for slower fire two stage triggers with tuning even if buy a Geissele. Need to play with your spring type ls and weights along with polishing mating surfaces between parts. This book is not how they build but every tip author has found in 30+ years of Service Rifle and other demanding competitions using AR rifles including AR 10's. Suggests all barrels unless know who drilled the gas port to not only check size but drive a lead slug to gas port location and ream hole to remove internal burrs where bit punched through. Should use a mill rather than drill press to drill gas ports, support inside of bore with slug then ream so inside of gas port is as perfect as possible. Better to open up too much then add adjustable gas block than have too small of hole that doesn't allow tuning of bolt and buffer weight to slow your rifle down.

Best magazines are your wore out old milspec 20 rounders and if working don't fix. Soon as have trouble replace follower with anti-tilt and fresh spring. If shooting courses where firing single shot and bolt hold open catches every round then choose a couple 20 round mags and stick 30 round springs in them, mark well and don't load more than six rounds in them. The increased spring tension will push rounds up tall and proud very quickly and firmly plus help your BHO catch on follower firmly.

A loose fit between upper and lower is not to be worried about unless excessive but always keep hinge pins greased heavily and close rear pin first and front pin last. The polyurethane Accuwedge is a decent product if want to firm up that fit. There is one company that mates their uppers and lowers before line boring their pin holes. Otherwise matched upper and lower receiver sets are not as well matched as manufacturers claim. Author uses a lot of forged DPMS lowers with super heavy slick side billet uppers to ensure well centered barrel in upper. These are just a few highlights from first 60 pages and it's tip after tip, why it helps if has scientific evidence or if its just observed evidence from lots of experience. This far from a precision builders perspective that buying a $200 to $400 tool to help fit two parts together or willing to replace every single spring and deburr every pin hole in the rifle as tear it down then reassemble using his advice or apply to future builds.

Have three pairs of identical rifles that are all tack drivers. A pair of 16" Lothar-Walther barrels profiled from their own button rifled blanks which believe they are considered by many to be top of the heap at button rifling, pair of 18" Noveske barrels profiled from Pac-Nor ratchet rifled blanks and a pair of 26" White Oak Armament heavy barrels profiled from Shilen air gauged blanks that are set in the biggest and heaviest "matched" billet receiver sets could find at the time. Feel almost as clunky as an AR 10. Since have two of each of these rifles all with same trigger groups, optics, muzzle devices where applicable, stocks, forearms, etc plan is to tear one of each apart one piece at a time starting with easiest tips I do not already incorporate into my builds which oddly springs, slick side uppers on varmint rifles and other recommended tricks have done as is recommended for years, will do one operation at a time and document before/after groups for that rifle plus side by side with its twin. Then when get through the book and as many tips willing to try and can undo if go backwards will see what accuracy improvements were gained and what tips helped most compared to rifle before and after and beside their twins. Then take the twin and only do the tricks that saw real measurable gains and see if a few are more important or if its a cumulative thing. Will be a fun project but never had a reference quite like this one for long range accuracy. Like author says from onset, his goal is not to create a rifle that shoots a smaller group from bench at 100 yards but rifle that shoots better from variety of positions in the 200 to 600 hard range. If can build a formula that results in 4" rifle at 600 yards consistently will be worthy project.

Have three projects from first book gathering parts but can't do too much fill my Form 1's come back as all require some form of suppressor, short barrel or both but the ones that are both will pin the can parts so they all fly through with a single stamp. What's interesting is one of the single stage triggers recommended in second book is what our special ops armorer's are using in some of the high end SDM/SPR rifles being built for our militaries elite fighters to engage hostiles at previously unreachable ranges for am M4gery. Also comparing some of my other books, downloaded articles and finding things where multiple independent sources give similar tips and concentrating on a list of "top of the list" techniques to experiment with first.

Knowing we have shooters engaging enemy combatants that are not just standing in open to be easily shot successfully from 800 yards using Mk 12 variants and other armory experimental rifles and having personally built rifles that in right hands will hit a man sized target at 600 to 800 yards, if can tighten them up just a tad maybe I can hook up with more long cold bore shots on coyotes, ground hogs and such. If can create a solid 350 yard 6.8 the local wild hog population is going to get thinned much more quickly. Been working to hundredths, thousanths, inch pounds and even inch ounces for a long time looking for those tricks that matter and that don't. If find a few more that do then my 400 to 450 yard coyote AR's might replace my bolt riles out to 600. May screw up a rifle or two but not going to start with the Noveske tubes, those barrels may not be touched, just all the parts around them.
Old April 07, 2018, 11:07   #24
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Made a partial trade/cash on mix of new and used build parts which had some of the fleabay free float forearms that use round barrel nut with wrench flats. Everyone have used to date my 1 3/16" crows foot wrench would fit and allow use of torque wrench. This pair the 1 3/16" is too wide for the flats and doing a junk box/take offs/clearance parts build with $200 limit not going to grind a nice crows foot wrench.

Went to all three industrial supply houses that used to be open till noon on Saturday and now have Closed Saturday signs. Went to Sears and they have cut the tool department by 2/3 and no longer sell individual wrenches or sockets, only sets and their crows feet sets only go to 1". Went to LGS to see if they had the Mentium brand torque wrench adapter for their goofy barrel nuts and manager was upset as all his screwdrivers had become magnetized and had a full day of handgun trigger kits to install. Went to shop to get a demagnitizer to loan him as said he had called everywhere in Mayberry and nobody had one. Stopped by the place swore would never shop out of desperation and not yet done a single time went in Harbor Freight and not a single employee had ever heard of a crows foot wrench, had none in store after searching as would put Thiers on grinder. Now the pair of Mentium free float handguards got almost free are back in box and putting better forearms on.

Now have to decide if buy the Mentium wrench they make for their barrel nuts that attaches to a torque wrench or trade them off. If don't buy the wrench then will get an upper with a Mentium barrel nut need to remove but Monday will go to the local industrial supply houses first and see if any have thin profile crows feet over 1". Am a nut about having right tools for everything so will likely order the Mentium adapter and a set of thin profile crows feet both. Along with print resources pretty much any specialty tool I need once will need again so buy it and done so have. Manager at LGS sure was happy to have some screw drivers that were not magnetized to work with as leaving. Told him to keep and would get back when need, didn't tell him was my spare that brought. Drawers at LGS are full of my back up specialty tools to save doing chores with wrong tools or driving across town to grab a simple tool have double or triple of.

Edit:
Looked at all the Mentium Chinese free float tubes on fleabay and other sources including those on my personal rifles. Often when throwing together a build and choice is a free milspec handguard with Delta Ring assembly and end cap vs dropping $29 to $49 on a Chinese aluminum part likely made in same plant a lot of $250 U.S. marrketed parts started life sometimes choose the Mentium as have used enough that realize if patient on shim stack so get proper alignment of picatinny rail with upper have used more than a few. Doing a Google search on their tools its obvious lots of others use them as well. Found the Mentium U.S. website and purchased their AR 15, AR 10 narrow barrel nut wrench adapter, the full size wrench with hole for torque wrench along with some extra barrel nuts with flats for both 15's and 10's, the better barrel nuts for thread on forearms as have a couple that original but was damaged so badly by someone using a generic multipurpose armorer's wrench a few in the kit will likely be the difference between fixing an upper on site rather than waiting on one to ship. Also purchased a selection of end caps, shim sets and spare screws along with the odd Allen screws with a tit on one end. In for a penny, in for a pound. Pride myself on having right tool for the job.

On side note have purchased several mag well vice adapters for holding lowers and sometimes entire receiver sets and even used to torque on an occasional barrel nut. Have broken several till a few months ago placed a big order from an Israeli vendor for BUIS sights, the mag funnel, hand grips put on most builds and purchased a pair of their magwell holding fixtures. Say made in Israel and have loaded the one next to vice now more than once with load am sure would break a Chinese mag well need. In addition to the Israeli plastic BUIS sights which are $30 per set less than Magpul and just as good with choice of black, O.D. green, FDE and others saw Mentium aluminum BUIS sights at $19 per complete sets. Noticed another brand of decent looking adjustable 45 offset BUIS sights and will be reviewing soon enough.

Add the Mentium tools, Brownells stuck gas tube tool, a couple or three proprietary barrel nut tools had never seen and now have another big fat group of specialty build parts here, in route or shipping next week. Also from the new book ordered some precision reloading tools not in my inventory for measuring odd run outs, shoulder set backs, etc which can already measure but look like will work better than what I have. Also while ordering parts on David Tubbs website ordered my first box of 5.56 Absolute 2 Hole and another 300 rounds of his 5.56 69 grain SMK's. Noticed they are now selling hand loaded ammo in 20 round boxes at fair price so going to shoot it side by side with the machine loaded and see if there is a measurable difference in group size. Have almost stopped loading my day to day range ammo for testing nicer builds as shoots well with 1:7, 1:8 and 1:9 plus saves me a bunch of bench time. They measure powder charge closer than any equipment I own can plus point the bullets in pointing die, use matched Lake City brass and measure run out. Stuff shoots better than some of my loads.

Have been bearing down on builds, new tools, references, pistols, piston drive, wildcats and more as time to take the CoolAR15.com website to next level as burning out on church security website. Trying to condense a lot of AR information at one place where it stays static till better mousetrap ones along. And hopefully save some folks trying to figure something out from a dozen different threads on ten different sites. Am trying to decide how much subsonic info to release as afraid someone may end up with stuck projectile half way between gas port and muzzle as it could cause a KaBoom. Almost considering a webstore to piggyback the site sellimg parts and tools I like bit then it's a business which have to license and insure plus probably DDTC and ITAR. Need to get the AR site recently done as well as church security and move on to body armor and others. Some day might just start breaking even on my websites if do well selling a little bit of ax space. After midnight and have to be at church in few hours then Griffin to pick up some ballistic glass afterwards.

Last edited by hueyville; April 07, 2018 at 23:06.
Old April 09, 2018, 16:32   #25
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

This book was $13.43 with free shipping from Amazon Prime:

If your building your first AR and want a print resource it's worth having to follow along and odds are if do as book says will have a fun filming rifle. If you have built at least two AR's and know your torque spec's, etc can buy an ambidextrous safety on clearance for about same price. Since I own it may keep in my collection or give to next person meet collecting parts to do their first build.

Very well laid out, crisp photos and know what it takes to shoot the pictures, crop, edit, get words and captions down then set up for print. A lot of work went into a decent little book of 60 pages which should come in every builders kit if person buying kit clicks box saying "it's my first build". Otherwise unless you just like to collect books, save the coin.
Old April 10, 2018, 10:44   #26
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Got the next to last book in Patrick Sweeny series this morning and been sitting in doctors offices all morning giving it a good once over. His last book, 140 pages read this far, often says covered subject x or y in detail in a previous book and will just give brief description description and any new thoughts or information on a part or process. Finding things that am glad I have this book as covers some subjects much more deeply but final book doesn't make me pay to reread something in previous book if own it while covering basics if don't own the other book.

Too many authors keep recycling the same old information with a few updates and rearranged chapter order to soak the buyer multiple times for same information, Patrick Sweeny seems to not be doing so. Have more of his books shipping and tonight plan to see if can find all his works and add them to the pile. His main focus is Service Rifle, NRA Across Course and other action sports where long shots and movement is required along with some that are shot mostly from a single position such as prone so get a good feel for what he thinks works well for each discipline and what is a waste of money if your intent is to shoot beer cans with 55 grain milsurp.

A concept he has covered well is idea that weight of bullet is not as important to twist rate selection as bearing surface of projectile. Some VLD's when figure long tapered nose and significant taper of boat tail end up with a 77 grain bullet that has more bearing surface than a 90 grain and then looks at differences in altitude of course. Says he has 1:7 rifles that shoot a particular load great at 2,500 to 5,000 ft of altitude but go to sea level and if do not switch to a 1:6.5 twist load is not going to shoot as well taking you from 1st to 10th place. Last night was measuring bullets using bushings from comparator and bushing dies to find the area where bullet was engaging rifling doing same at rear on boat tails and found a lot of 77's with less bearing surface than 62's.

I switched to shooting over 50% 69 grain SMK's almost two years ago. Have found they shoot great in all of my better 1:9, 1:8 and 1:7 barrels. That said, he recommends not buying a 1:9 barrel unless you shoot mainly 55 and 62 grain milsurp ammo. If shoot 36 to 50 grain bullets may want to look at a nice long 24" to 26" 1:12 (built pair of 24" 1:12 heavy barrels for varmints last year) or jump on over to 1:7 and spin them up. For years have been proud of my Noveske barrels and like my Lothar. He ranks Noveske at bottom rung of useable barrels unless get lucky with some non top notch tube and ranks Lothar down in the wanna-be category. Almost all of my barrels have odd numbers of lands which he says is good. Recommends 3 and 5 groove but says with 4 or six have a lands exactly opposite of each other causing more distortion of bullet as getting mashed harder and more jacket distortion.

Been buying a lot of 5R barrels lately because they seem to be common in the barrels I like Pac-Nor/Noveske, ARP, White Oak Armament, Shilen and others. Have half a dozen rifles now that just love 69 grain SMK's and now know more about why. Also have a 20" ARP 3R 6.8 barrel and was worried about only three grooves but it shoots as laser straight as any 6.8 have screwed together and have a better idea of why. Think my next nice barrel is going to be a Bartlein 1:6.5 or similar quality and try the half twist with some of the VLD's that didn't shoot as well as wanted so stopped loading them. This guy is all about the barrel as the heart of a smoke pole and a cheap barrel actually costs you money over time as chase better loads, upgrade tubes so pop for a top line if expect top notch shooter out of the gate.

Have one Bartlein and one Kreiger build but now have to try a Hawk Hill, Benchmark, Bridge and Proof Research sooner rather than later. Own a Douglas, Lilja and other top name barrels on M1a's, turn bolts, etc but never thought a poodle shooter deserved much more than Noveske or White Oak profiled Shilen blank. At 100 yards apparently doesn't but as range increases any flaws in tube show more. Can get a bad barrel from anyone and why more info I find seems like most high end builders/shooters slug their new barrel before assemble it on rifle to get better feel for any tight or loose spots. Found other builders in addition to this Sweeny guy that buy a long tube and cut it for muzzle and crown at snuggest place find in tube. A lot of hairs to split but intend to start working through them. Worst case is have a few rifles that shoot good but not necessarily great. Being a hack, need all the advantage can find. If like books all the Sweeny books so far seem to be worth the cost and time to read in detail.
Old April 11, 2018, 00:08   #27
ExCdnSoldierInTx
Old Fart
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 65552
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxxas View Post
Platform? Wankers abound!

Platform:

image.jpg
Old April 11, 2018, 11:04   #28
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Notice I only used the word in repeating title of first book in thread. Don't need the good natured hazing it elicits on the group. In partial defense of first books author he did write a book on the initial history of the original Armalite design, it's evolution as a U.S. fighting rifle and varients from other military groups around the world. Very interesting to see how radically some countries have adapted the rifle for specific purposes down to night use only sniper role. Guy issueD would need a second rifle for daylight use.

Ordered the first book, was so interesting started looking around the house finding all my AR 15/M16/M4 reference books and realized this was the first book had purchased in almost a decade on the subject. Had become lazy asking specific questions or following the same five threads that repeat every momth. "My sights don't properly line up to point of bullet impact", "rifle does not cycle", "rifle does not feed", "rifle does not extract", "rifle is suddenly shooting 4 MOA rather than 1 MOA", etc. Have gotten online tunnel vision so ordering a pile of books where read what author finds important, not common Internet questions.

Since I am not interested in Service Rifle and competition anymore and building rifles for specific purposes then mainly using as range toys, vault inventory or varmint killers have missed out on the nuances used to pick up around groups of folk serious about making a rifle do everything possible within a set of rules or full blown in unlimited catagories. Now reading books about these sports from a few years ago to most recent and picking up tips on specialized parts have seen but didn't see a need for as didn't understand them. Hopefully will take my builds to the next level. Spent half hour on phone with White Oak Armament yesterday (they are very patient with hillbillies, ask for Jane, tell her your an ignorant hillbilly up front and she is patient, knows her stuff and will get you what need) ordering tools, parts and offer for me to ship barrels from another manufacturer to them to repair.

Have a barrel where extension pin sheared off and why I ordered their tool that works like reaction rod but is supported with cross pin through ejection port so pressure of torquing a barrel nut is spread across entire upper and not concentrated on that pin. Have another barrel purchased as new but has no extension but drilled for gas port and want it all indexed properly due to it being a $400 tube. Also she went through the pile of odd stuff not on site and has me start on some more builds including a true Service Rifle and hope I don't feel need to actually use for shooting Service Rifle as that is a time consuming sport. Need to get my library back current plus fill gaps missed in past years so can get in tune with the thought process and evolution of my favorite little rifle. If keep reading Arts posts may have to get back onto M1a/M14 and unsure if I really need more but the 6.5 Creedmore and the Super Match on lay away will increase the fleet size to way more than I can keep fed and watered much less taken out for regular walks.
Old April 11, 2018, 17:24   #29
ExCdnSoldierInTx
Old Fart
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 65552
You should know for sure that when it comes from me, it is most definitely "Good Natured".

It's hilarious, actually.

As for ARs, I appreciate them, they're a groundbreaking design no doubt, but I'm of a different generation, and wasn't brought up on them.

I've had 3 cycle through my hands, the first two were early SP-1s and I now have an A1 clone that'll stick.

6.5 Creedmoor is a round that seriously interests me. My 700 build is chambered in that cartridge, and I'm hoping for amazing things from it.
Old April 11, 2018, 22:45   #30
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

After my experience with my Tikka turn bolt and saw my first M1a in 6.5 Creedmore had to have one. I like my AR 10's in 6XC but for zombies or game the 115 grain 243/6mm DTAC bullets don't really have much gas past 600 yards for anything more than varmints unless putting rounds into head shots. But if world went sideways and was having to work targets of unknown distance/numbers/armor from my hide would have one of my custom 700's in 7mm Practical and an M1a Super Match or National Match.

Might have both the 7mm Practical and a pair of M1a's so could send a steady volume of fire long as the hoards kept appearing over the horizon then based on distance and number either float a 7mm bullet out anywhere from 600 to 1,200 yards and anything inside 600, especially if in numbers, introduce them to the old Springfields. Have really been enjoying my 6.5 Creedmores but recently ran a bunch of math comparing rifles in vaults along with pulling folders of load and range data with targets and realized my custom 25-06's will run with them all day long and even out perform them with correct bullet.

Have a pair of 700 based custom 25-06's that shoot same 3/4" group at 100, 200 and 250 yards. It's like the bullet takes 100 yards to settle down as one shoots 1" at 75 yards then 25 yards later it's 3/4" (yes sounds odd) but then runs on a rail for the next 150 yards totally unchanged. They both stay sub MOA out to 600 yards then they seem to start opening up no matter what load and start getting unstable at 750 yards so don't shoot past that range and wasting ammo or burning throats.

It just sucks having so many rifles built by a top of the game rifle smith who held national and world records in light bench rest, heavy benchrest and F-class with rifles he built in cartridges he developed. Right now two of his rifles are on consignment at local gun shop but owners think they should get original price of rifle plus all the gunsmith charges plus some extra since builder has retired and will not build anyone a rifle anymore.

Both have sat for well over a year with no real interest as the only people who know what a Gibby rifle is already has one or eight and the rest have not heard of him and can't find anything on the Internet as he had tapered off to only repeat clients by 2007 so his name just didn't get floated around much on the interweb. Did a quick Google search, no posts to his Facebook page in three years since retired officialy, and found a page discussing his proprietary designed muzzle brakes which he tuned and fitted to each rifle so that it looks like it's a part of the barrel and would tune it multiple times till got barrels harmonics perfect without being overly loud to shooter and not as bad to other shooters at the line compared to most brakes. One of my rifles he built three brakes and remachined them two to three times altering port angles and sizes till totally happy with downrange performance. His other specialty was cryogenic treatment of parts for stress relief and durability which he fully believes in. If proof is n the pudding, every rifle he ever built me exceeded expectations by a significant margin including all the scopes he blueprinted as well.
Old April 11, 2018, 23:00   #31
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

This book arrived and was stunned once went through it:

The majority of the book is nothing but the model with options and variations avaliable from every somewhat known manufacturer. Basically send of for the print catalouges from Colt, Smith & Wesson, Bushmaster, LWRC, DPMS, Armalite, Daniel Defence, etc punch holes, place in three ring binder with a chapter worth of foreword sttimg how market has progresed from past and a closing chapter on where the market seems to be trending. That is it, nothing but pictures and specifications for all current models from all major makers. Either download their website s "website complete" or get their print catalogues and you can save the money this book costs though it will be a nice reference for later so that us traders, wheelers and dealers can look at the specs for current models down the road just keeping up with the one book but my guess is it will all be availble with a quick Google search from archives of gun blogs and manufacturers archives.
Old April 12, 2018, 15:36   #32
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Didn't sleep but about 45 minutes last night so pilfered my upstairs book shelves and found these two books mixed in with mountaineering books on my bookshelves of climbing books and guides. First is the AR-15/M16 Sourcebook.

Done by Paladin Press so has all the resources of years of Soldier of Fortune input and knowledge base to pull from. Reviewed it as read in the past and it is a reader for those interested in the rifle, it's development and revisions.

Second is The M16 and is also a reader mainly aimed at military applications from days past up to a little information into beginnings of Gulf War. Both are must have books if collect military firearms books.

Old April 12, 2018, 17:07   #33
fal762
Registered
Contributor

I've got the Sourcebook. It was a good book for its time and still a good book in a historical text. IIRC it was printed in the '90s when the AR field was not very fully developed. I believe they even talk about cutting the carry handle off (been a while since I perused the book). I even have a couple of carry handle scopes still (one is still on an A1 upper with D K forge marking) that they show in the book.
Old April 12, 2018, 17:18   #34
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Yes copyright 1992 but we need these books to remember our roots and remember hacksawn carry handles and odd ways people mounted optics to get them closer to ceterline of bore. Have some even older books dating back to 70's and 80's to dig up and take the trip down memory lane which are better than internet stories retold with drift that occurs as time increases from those times.
Old April 12, 2018, 17:55   #35
fal762
Registered
Contributor

Not knocking the book in any way...it's a good read. I actually enjoy much of what they did with what they had vs nowadays using a credit card to build a custom rifle/carbine/SBR/etc.
Also interesting to see what were promising starts that ended up basically dead ends (link belt AR etc) or the next thing to dead ends.
I guess I just like the historic aspect of things as I'm not that good of a shot anymore (I'm a legend in my own mind ) plus the informal shooting of guns.
Old April 13, 2018, 15:30   #36
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Read enough of this one would consider it a must have for the intermediate builder. More than just screwing up a rifle but unless willing to buy a few hundred dollars in specialty tools then the book may not be of value unless able to borrow the tools or encourages you to buy some more.

Stunning how much OLD stuff am finding from late 60's and into late 70's/early 80's. Amazing how much some changes as have some old M16 military manuals from before forward assist that state cleaning is optional. Of course it was till some egg head decided to change powder types for 55 grain milspec loads and were being used in Vietnam rather than test range in USA.
Old April 16, 2018, 15:56   #37
fal762
Registered
Contributor

A couple more oldies but goodies that I've got are the original (vol 1 I guess) Gunsmithing the AR-15 by Patrick Sweeney. Also AR-15/M16 Super Systems by Duncan Long (Paladin Press). Both from the 80s/90s time frame.
Old April 17, 2018, 15:16   #38
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Have second edition of this and now want to compare 1st and 3rd editions due to how different this one is from other I have. Like the progression in book series as each has little snap shots of certain trends at time they were happening which allows me to date some items that are unsure of generation and rarity.

A worthy read, don't know if all but book freaks would want all editions but plan to look for the two I am missing tonight.
Old May 12, 2018, 23:27   #39
aardq
Registered

FALaholic #: 18645
Book recommendation

Hi Huey,

How about a recommendation of a book or two, for a guy who wants to build an AR. Another book on AR maintenance for a newbie to ARs?

Thanks,
Dan
aardq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2018, 07:38   #40
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

One book, Patrick Sweeny, Gunsmithing the AR 15, The Bench Manual two books add The Competative AR 15 Builders Guide in the red cover. I have two of the second book mentioned, one for the shelf, other for work bench at office. So maybe The Competative is better choice if built a few. It really lays out how to find the last tenth of accuracy.
Old July 05, 2018, 18:05   #41
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Had a 10 year old version of this manual but decided to buy the new version and see if had any new information worth burning a $20 bill while relegated to physical therapy and rest till get over my strained/pulled/fubar lower back reinjury. Am bored with lurking and trolling so ordered a few books and installed some new shooting, reloading and ballistics apps on my devices.

Except for the color cover its still the same military issue manual from 2009 with larger print for sales to armchair warriors that had purchased for $9.99 in its military print version and can be downloaded for free as a PDF. Unless the color cover and large print is worth a twenty dollar bill would not suggest burning your cash on the Amazon reprint.

Also blew some money on a new app that read two articles from major outlets and respected writers that ranked it as best app available.

At $29.99 for the Applied Ballistics long range app I put it in the same pile as BulletFlight as overpriced app that if saw some improvements could be Strelok Pro but isn't really close. BulletFlight is most expensive app have purchased and will say Applied Ballistics is better than BulletFlight. Strelok Pro out performs them both, is easier to use, more intuitive, and faster on firing solution and placing photo of solution on screen with your scopes reticle makes it super easy to use. Have paid to put Strelok Pro in all my devices but BulletFligjt and Applied Ballistics just in one device each.

It does link well with my Kestrel anemometers but not with my range finders as well. Strelok Pro gets it done but always like to run a second firing solution if varmint is giving me the time and found a lot of.scope manufacturers free apps are pretty good but only have a few loads and no ability to input my custom handload or each rifles muzzle velocity with load. Downloaded the free Kestrel app which links up with my anemometers smoothly and is free. The Applied Ballistics free bullet stability app is good and at the price of free a good one to have. Basically input your bullet from drop down of list of manufacturers bullets which automatically drops in all parametefs for projectile then you just enter expected velocity and rifling twist and tells you how stable or unstable load considering should work. See examples below.

Stable:

Not Stable:

Old July 12, 2018, 01:32   #42
ALL FAL
Registered

FALaholic #: 24447
Dang, that is quite the AR Laboratory and Library you have Huey

Impressive and well thought out, I like the way you go about life and challenges, I hope to come out your direction some day and meet you.
COBC #1- That's all Folks.
ALL FAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2018, 05:09   #43
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Sad thing is I used to visit the Pacific Northwest every year. Was too easy to round up someone wanting to climb Mts Hood, Jefferson, Adams, Baker, Ranier or other peaks in the Cascades. Due to guiding laws in Cascades and permits I didn't technically do guided climbs but anyone that covered the trip expenses would get a solid person to drag them to a summit or few for a lot less invetment than what some of the guide services charge. Tried to limit it to one trip per year and was just a poor dirtbag climber hanging with another climber that could throw money around and get a real experience rather than a team of guides with fixed ropes and camps that looked like cattle trails on some peaks.

Stayed away from the Camp Muir side of Ranier where companies spent a week shuffling large heards of clients $2,000 per cow to drag them to the summit. Now back is too bad (been in bed and PT past two weeks letting new ruptured disk heal and stabilize) to drag Atlanta doctors, lawyers and executives up mountains. Cascades was easiest place to give a relatively new climber a decent summit experience without having to leave lower 48 or spend a lot of time acclimation to altitude. Drag them up a 10,000 ft peak in Oregon then up the Emmons route on Ranier and they had a good idea if wanted to pursue mountaineering and I had my May acclimatization started for trip to Rockies then the Andes. Used to always piggyback shooting trips with climbing trips as lots of good ranges and varmint hunting from the desert southwest to the front range of Colorado.

These are the most recent books added to collection in past few weeks to keep me reading while recovering. I like hard copy books but the Kindle version of Long Range Shooting Handbook is only $9.99 but I opted for the print version as I read though books if good usually buy the ebook version as well so is in my tablet. Maritime Sniper Manual have in both forms now as well as others.

Long Range Shooting Handbook is worth the $22 bucks to read and then add to library. Mildot Master is self explanatory and if smart phone battery dies the chart is better than my in head math calculations these days.

Applied Ballistics is great for the Math geeks but is highly technical and costs $50 for the print version and a "must have" for the long distance handloader and shooters library after muddle through it. Reads a bit like a college textbook.

Accuracy and Precision For Long Range Shooting: A Practical Guide for Shooters from Brian Litz as well pairs well with the Applied Ballistics book but for most might recommend just buying the second book but pushes a $50 bill as well but I found it for $41 purchased with some others. There is a reason military shooters spend as much time in classroom as in the field during advanced schools and for us civilians the more knowledge you can absorb about the nuances of shooting, especially keeping up with the trends allowing shooters to hook up on shots from one to two miles will make your next 800 yard shot easier to wrap the grey matter around before you splatter something that never knew their grey matter was about to get spread across the ground.

Am working on a new website for body armor and section for my shooting sites on each of the popular shooting apps. Am breaking down the free and paid shooting apps and which are must have and which are overpriced for features and ease of use. Being a book and software whore figure I might can save some folks money and direct them to the best app for their needs. Guy with a couple of rifles and uses Nikon scopes with factory ammo can get by with the Nikon free app for many shots.
Old July 20, 2018, 17:18   #44
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Am finally throughhe two books above written by Brian Litz, Accuracy and Precision For Long Range Shooting and Applied Ballistics For Long Range Shooting cover to cover and they were easily worth the $100 bill for the pair. Learned stuff didn't know and got a much better grasp on some things I did know and causing me to pull many of my long range rifles and change setups a tad. While all scopes are mounted level as use rifle vise to level receivers then levels to ensure scope is perfectly plumb the figures in charts on how far off target a bullet will be if just a slight cant when pull trigger is astounding. A 3 lean if resting on odd terrain and otherwise perfect dead center hold when trigger breaks and based on rifle can have bullet land over two feet left or right of target with perfect wind read.

Using a G1 instead of G7 or vice versa profile in your shooting app or firing solution can ruin a shot as well as a 1 foot misread in range on long shots and a ten yard misread on range if your laser range finder reads a rock a few feet in front of target because it's more reflective your hosed but they help you understand how to better use your equipment and lessen chances of error. If your first shot lands ten yards in front of that trophy of a lifetime that you ranged at 800 yards but was actually 810 yards it's moving on before you can work the bolt handle. Understanding the exterior ballistics of your bullets and choosing the best cartridge for game and range can increase your odds of a first shot cold bore hit by 30% and combined with proper use of ranging tools and annonometer you can more than double your odds of making that shot you spent a lifetime and five figures cash for the privelidge of having it in your crosshairs.

Also just finished another Sweeny book on AR 15's that was worth the read for the few nuggets he always puts in each book that does not repeat in others.

This book on the nuances of pistols is not something you can't usually find researching the net but makes a nice reference for keeping you on task while building an AR 15 pistol without running back and forth to the computer digging around and sometimes waiting on half a dozen people to reply to a question before ordering your parts when its a ome day clearance sale or proceeding with a build on the bench.

Now that I finally got through the Brian Litz set have ordered another pair of his books at a c-note again and once read them will weigh in on if their worth dropping $100 bill for most shooters that have the equipment to take long shots and use it. Between reading and learnimg, buying new range finders, annenometers, and putting spirit levels on my varmint scopes and figuring out which apps give me most accurate firing solutions for my equipment and loads my first round cold bore hit ratio on ground hogs past 400 yards and coyote past 600 has almost doubled. Make way more first round hits than miss at the longer ranges now. Also training better and with a purpose more than putting rounds down range but using each session to refine my data in my apps and charts as still use charts taped to stock as can't always be typing on a tablet before taking a shot. But my charts are 30% or more better defined at each range and a quick zap with my range finder and glance at chart will put me on them vermin. Add in am building better rifles too, especially the heavy varmint barrel slicksides in the new hotter cartridges or building a better 5.56 rifle around a specific load. My last 5.56 rifle was built specifically for shooting 52 grain SMK's and lighter bullets so can keep velocities up using light bullets without over spinning them. I never expected to be back to playing with $500 1:12 twist bores but are loving them now for crow and ground hogs.
Old July 29, 2018, 13:50   #45
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Had final outpatient of series treating my most recent blown disk in back and other than shooting suppressed rimfire pistols at home and occasional sessions with rimfire rifles at work have not been doing more than an occasional full magazine or two of centerfire and limit that to 9mm. Got smart a while back purchasing a pair of 1911's and pair of SIG 2022's in 9mm that are set up just like my 45 acp 1911 carries and 40 Smith SIG 2022 carries. Might not seem significant but when convelescing from broken back/neck and continued procedures just dropping down to mid power cast 9mm range ammo from larger bore major power factor ammo is difference between shooting a few magazines a week of centerfire or not.

While enjoy shooting my suppressed Beretta's at 25 feet in basement or a 10/22 at 75 yards in back yard or 50 feet at indoor range at work, still want to keep the muscle memory of at least every other week if not weekly sessions with my carry pistols. For decades have tried to keep a 50 round per week minimum average with 1911's and prefer 350 to 500 rounds as when feeling good shoot more days than not using indoor range at work. Building the range at work was best move ever made once I moved off the farm.

It's not like having a nice pistol pit with steel plate course but have enough room to practice draw and fire, double taps and various drills at ranges from ten feet to 60 feet if open double doors from offices. Have a pair of 4'5' windows either side of the double doors opening to shop and if rig the left window to open could have 90' indoor benchrest by opening the window looking out at shop which Ines up with hallway and bullet trap. Trap will handle 454 Casull Mag along with 22 Hornet and 7.6239 cast bullet loads. Need to get that window on a hinge...

While convelescing have been doing huge amount of reading and then practicing as much of what am learning with rimfire rifle. Shooting subsonic rimfire on my 75 yard range in back yard is actually a good way to practice some of the drills have learned along with testing new techniques in reading wind and doping for distance. Using a variety of subsonic rimfire ammo gives a decent idea of drop and wind drift even at 75 yards so on days with gusty winds when feel decent will try to shoot at least 50 rounds to practice my wind reading when weather channel says are having 10 to 25 mph wind gusts. If able to get ten round reasonable group when wind may change 15 mph from shot to shot is darn good practice even if only shooting at 75 yards.

In addition to the 60 grain Sniper Subsonics have been using the CCI Quiet-22 which fires a 40 grain pill at 710 fps, CCI*CB Long firing a 29 grain bullet at 725 fps, Aguila Super*Colibri launching a 20 grain projectile at 575 fps and Aguila Colibri launching 20 grain bullets at 325 fps. Have turn bolt rimfire chambered for shorts and longs as well as long rifle and have been shooting them more in past two months than have in past five years. Try launching 20 grain bullets at 325 fps between wind gusts for decent ten round groups at 25 yards/75 feet. Even the 575 fps 20 grain pills and 725 fps 29 grainers will try your patience and teach patience, timing and holding rifle perfectly level as a 1.5% off level hold with such anemic ammo will trash a group if misreading the wind didn't.

Even indoors have to be on your game and where your tendency to let rifle lean as squeeze the trigger will show at even 50 feet. Purchased another pair of Nikon 4-12x Prostaff Rimfire II Target 150 rimfire scopes for one of my bolt rifles chambered for longs and another for long rifle. Sitting down using rest or especially standing and kneeling will discover if don't look at the spirit level on scope and or don't take time to use horizon, items in edge of field, when focusing on a round target without any grids or lines as take up the creep or as trigger breaks it is very easy to lean rifle just a degree or two and the lightweight low velocity projectiles used indoors with a decent rifle will tell you every shot didn't hold rifle perfectly level.

Being able to practice nuances of hold, trigger pull and letting round clear bore during lock time and dwell time of projectile in barrel is a long time in which a shot can be trashed. Do the same thing with a Hornet at 150 yards or 6.5 Creedmore at 500 yards and your shots are missing the varmints intended and may interpret your miss as improper wind reading when actually pushed or pulled the rifle a degree or three off axis during mechanics of trigger pull. Here are the two books that just showed up and started my browsing before sit down and do my cover to cover read throughs. All the reading and low velocity rimfire training while work through latest back injury am hoping will translate to better long distance shooting in the field as all I really can do for now is work on knowledge and mechanics with lightweight low recoil rifles. It's difficult to hold a 16" barrel 22 long with somewhat creepy trigger level through the entire target acquisition, wait for timing in wind, work through entire range of trigger pull and for projectIle to exit bore without doing something that imparts lean, shake or other error into my shot. For those who can, kudos but think this last blown disk has helped me leverage reading into drills that will improve my shooting for a lifetime.

This week's new books:

Since already have two days with Barretts BOARS system but not other similar and only two days without formal training from their school but second hand from someone that had been this book looks like it's going to be a wealth of information for advanced firing solution tools and standard optics.

Already found some dry firing drills will be trying on range later next week as have an eight pound weight lifting limit for a few more days.

Old August 01, 2018, 09:29   #46
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Found a few boxes of AR 15 books and special annual editions from Guns & Ammo, similar publications, previous editions of Patrick Sweeny, etc plus Joe Poyer and other authors on M16's and varients going back to 1980's. Somehow never got distributed to shelves when moved or were put back as newer editions were released. Have decided to clear shelf space so they are at fingertips when need information in an older rifle, system or accessory.

Just flipping the pages of a Guns & Ammo annual AR 15 200 page special edition from 2008 was kind of funny to see what was the newest and hottest accessories for builds and upgrades a decade ago. Glad I didn't trash them all like all the old SOF, G&A, Shooting Times and more magazines than could count when moved 26 years ago.
Old August 07, 2018, 22:09   #47
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Reviewing some of my older books and been browsing through them so thought I would post them up along with general impressions. Too much light in my gun room and could not kill all the glare and not worth setting up a white box. Could have sniper better pics off net if was that concerned.

Guns of the Elite:
Decent book and has a wide variety of firearms and specialty sighting systems from a few generations back. Worthy reference book.

Gun Digest Book of the AR 15:
As all books by Sweeny worth owning. He manages to put information in every book thats not in any of the others thus if buy everything he writes there is always something fresh.

The AR 15 Volume 3:
Number 3 in series of five thus far and have them all. Each has important information will miss if decide to sneak by with just one or two though a couple beat none.

Gun Digest Busers Guide to Assault Weapons:
Don't like how it suddenly lumps a bunch of spring rifles in the assault rifle genre which could be used as a expert source in a ban of certain types of rifles.

Picture Book of Vietnam:
Almost a total piece of crap. Majority of pictures are peace freak subjects or pictures of Vietnamese wounded to make the U.S. look like the evil empire. The few combat pics are not hugely interesting and don't depect many AR 15/M16's other than generic 20" skinny barrel rack rifles. If see it somewhere don't buy it if costs more than $1.99 as at times have considered culling it due to its peace freak vibe but may need a few of the combat pics for reference some day.

Been trying to gather all the gun books scattered about the house and on various book shelves to two book shelves in gun room. Thus far found around three dozen AR 15/M16 books and lots of special issue magazines. Got over 75 reloading manuals in one place and their still scattered bet that have over 100 reloading books and should find over 50 books as I pilfer that are mostly dedicated to our beloved poodle shooters.
Old August 07, 2018, 22:31   #48
fal762
Registered
Contributor

I have Guns of the Elite also, buried somewhere in my hovel.
Most of my books are from 1980s -mid 2000s. Also have somewhere around 80 of the old NRA edition books from famous writers from the past.
Old August 08, 2018, 05:51   #49
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

"Buried in my hove" being the key words here on the Ponderosa. Am trying to flip the place over and as put my hands on items put them where they go. Have been doing same at work. Open boxes on shelving units might be gun books, part of my huge collection of Bibles and religious writing, 50 or so milspec AR 15 magazines, reloading equipment and even recently found a box of new unopened scopes and all sorts of consumables. It's been a heck of a job trying to organize 26 years of stuff since moved in and spent first seven years remodeling the place while living in the house. So lots of stuff never got unbound and shelved in the basement or at work and ignored for years. Guess it's a good thing I hauled two truck loads of magazines plus a lot of of other "junk" to the dump before moving out of old house.
Old September 12, 2018, 09:26   #50
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Have scored a few more books for the library and what I like about this one is it uses a lot of drawings with shooter using L1a1/L2a1/FAL pattern rifles. SAS and Elite Forces Guide to Sniping. A worthy read for intermediate techniques to getting accurate fire down ramge.

The next title is Lock and Load: Weapons of the U. S. Military which covers AR 15, M16 and other rifles commonly found and some not so common.

This is the fourth edition have acquired of The Worlds Sniper Rifles and is a small book but if pick it up cheap and score several editions end up with a fair collection of information on specialty rifles from U.S. and orhers.

Not the actual book but the rendering from ad purchased it this book emphasis the dance of two snipers stalking each other and the skills required to get the first kill shot off before your opponent.

More books on the actual mechanics of shooting under stress along with extrior ballistics, techniques used by other countries military know why combat snipers spend almost as much time in the classroom as on the range and running drills. The more information in the brain, the more advantage if combined with practice in the field and on range. Having cut my hours back at work to be more productive when on the clock sure has given me more time to read and not just readiInternet lore reposted by hundreds of people till where it originated becomes obscured.