Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The 1911 Files

Notices

Old June 20, 2018, 20:03   #1
spider991
Registered

FALaholic #: 35820
Sights cut..

Guys,

I got a government model with the basic sights. I am thinking of sending it to Novak to get the front and rear cut for Novak sights -probably tritium. Anyone ever get this done or use these guys? And yes, the front of mine has the non-replacement front sight.
spider991 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2018, 22:32   #2
gunners
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 55824
You simply can not make a better choice than Wayne Novak to do your work.
gunners is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2018, 06:30   #3
gunseller
Registered

FALaholic #: 10120
I assume that by non replacement you mean a stakes front sight. Any good gunsmith can do the work. Several years ago I had the same thing done to one of my series 70 Colts by one of the gunsmiths where I work. Beautiful job. Enjoy.
Steve
gunseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2018, 14:57   #4
spider991
Registered

there is also a place called fusion gunsmiths that looks good, but i think im just going to stick with novak...thanks
Old June 22, 2018, 16:43   #5
HanShotFirst
Registered

FALaholic #: 81136
Quote:
Originally Posted by spider991 View Post
Guys,

I got a government model with the basic sights. I am thinking of sending it to Novak to get the front and rear cut for Novak sights -probably tritium. Anyone ever get this done or use these guys? And yes, the front of mine has the non-replacement front sight.
Sending it to Novak is the right way to do it.
HanShotFirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2018, 19:17   #6
spider991
Registered

the cheap side of me keeps thinking that I'm going to just send it to a gunsmith and get the front post staked in and get one of the basic government sites that fit the back..... then I wise up and I think yeah I'll just sent to Novak. buy once cry once I guess, I'm going to send it to Novak
Old June 24, 2018, 08:28   #7
MAINER
Old Salt
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 18465
Good choice!

Let us know how it works out.
Old June 25, 2018, 12:26   #8
spider991
Registered

Should be going put this week
Old July 11, 2018, 19:05   #9
spider991
Registered

Ok, change 25.....I sent it out to wilson combat this mornimg, for new sights and trigger........84 dollars to ship at ups....I think I got hosed, had to go overnight
Old July 11, 2018, 19:16   #10
tdb59
Are We Awake ?
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 63177
Wilson would have been 12th on my list not on my list at all, compared to Wayne Novak, Cylinder and Slide, et cetera.

YMMV, of course.

tdb59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2018, 23:35   #11
TerryN
Registered

FALaholic #: 55
Stake-on front sights WILL get loose and/or fly off, eventually. Wilson uses a proprietary front sight dovetail, so you're stuck with their front sight from now on. Novak sight cuts are the industry standard nowadays, and definitely what I would have gone with.
Old July 12, 2018, 12:35   #12
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
Shame your so far away, have the correct cutters and my mill is set up with jig for 1911 slide right now as just did a Novak cut on a Colt slide was settimg up for suppressor use. At only $125 to have Novak do it in-house if didn't own a mill would send it straght off to them. Unsure if an FFL is required to work on a slide for someone else but they are pretty close to you so shipping should not be bad on just the slide and I would call and talk to rep to see if they had a package deal doing the cuts, installing the sights and see what cost is and maybe let them do some other work while it's off at a top shop.

Recently built an AR pistol and had several sets of Novak tall suppressor tritium sights so cut top of upper receiver for rear and picatinny rail on forearm for front and put a set of the tall Novak pistol sights on an AR 15. They 1/3 cowitnessed with a Burris Fastfire II and turned out slick and very low profile top of gun. Unsure if I want to do the cuts on a slide that's not mine as my luck cutter would explode and mangle top of slide right as almost finished with second cut.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2018, 22:26   #13
gunners
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 55824
Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyville View Post
Shame your so far away, have the correct cutters and my mill is set up with jig for 1911 slide right now as just did a Novak cut on a Colt slide was settimg up for suppressor use. At only $125 to have Novak do it in-house if didn't own a mill would send it straght off to them. Unsure if an FFL is required to work on a slide for someone else but they are pretty close to you so shipping should not be bad on just the slide and I would call and talk to rep to see if they had a package deal doing the cuts, installing the sights and see what cost is and maybe let them do some other work while it's off at a top shop.

Recently built an AR pistol and had several sets of Novak tall suppressor tritium sights so cut top of upper receiver for rear and picatinny rail on forearm for front and put a set of the tall Novak pistol sights on an AR 15. They 1/3 cowitnessed with a Burris Fastfire II and turned out slick and very low profile top of gun. Unsure if I want to do the cuts on a slide that's not mine as my luck cutter would explode and mangle top of slide right as almost finished with second cut.
Novak uses 65 degrees on their front sight dovetail. Wilson for who knows what reason chose 60 so your cutters would not work plus they are too wide for the Wilson front sight cut. I have milled both - I like Wilson's call bead front sight better than Novak's - but I would not do it for a friend. They is just too much chance of something going wrong. Ever try to mill a dovetail in a Norinco slide?
gunners is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2018, 17:01   #14
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunners View Post
Novak uses 65 degrees on their front sight dovetail. Wilson for who knows what reason chose 60 so your cutters would not work plus they are too wide for the Wilson front sight cut. I have milled both - I like Wilson's call bead front sight better than Novak's - but I would not do it for a friend.
Believe Novak had a patent on their cutter and cut for years till ran out and occasionally introduce a new sight that has some widget able to patent then whine about all the folks violating their patents. From their site:

Quote:
Companies that currently use Genuine and/or Licensed Novak Sights
Colt* Genuine fronts and rears
Ruger* Licensed rears and genuine fronts and rears
Remington* Genuine fronts and rears (R1 Carry models only)
Taurus* Licensed rears
S&W* Genuine fronts and rears (1911 and M&P pro series only)
Lionheart** Licensed fronts and rears
Cabot Guns* Genuine rears
Christensen Arms* Genuine fronts and rears
Double Star* Genuine fronts and rears
Ithaca* Genuine fronts and rears
Inland Mfg* Genuine fronts and rears
Republic Forge* Genuine fronts and rears
Remsport Mfg* Genuine fronts and rears
Stealth Arms* Genuine fronts and rears
Cylinder and Slide* Genuine fronts and rears
Tussey Custom* Genuine fronts and rears
Harrison Designs* Genuine fronts and rears
Jacob Grey Custom* Genuine fronts and rears
JRJ Custom Pistols*- Genuine fronts and rears

Companies that currently use unauthorized imitations of Novak Sights and/or dovetail cuts
Springfield Armory, Sig Sauer, Kimber, Dan Wesson / CZ, Rock Island Armory / Armscor, Heckler & Koch, Iver Johnson, European American Armory / EAA, Coonan, American Tactical Imports / ATI, Metro Arms, Citadel / Legacy Sports, Eagle Imports Inc./American Classic/MAC/LLama, Les Baer, Ed Brown, Nighthawk Custom, Tisas, Girsan,Uselton Arms UA

Companies that currently make unauthorized imitations or misrepresent as Novak Sights*
Kensight, Fusion Firearms, Truglo, LPA, Aro-tek ltd.
From their patent as filed:

https://patents.google.com/patent/US20070199227

Last paragraphs from patent:
Quote:
The result, as has been discussed above, is an adjustable sight with windage and elevation capabilities that is durable, that has a smooth snag-resistant exterior and that has a clean, uncluttered overall appearance.
The two major components of the adjustable sight in accordance with the present invention are each machined from high quality materials such as tool-grade steel or the like. Sophisticated machining processes, such as EDM machining are employed to form each of the sight base and the sight body out of a single piece of metal. The result is an adjustable sight that is well-suited to the rigorous service demands placed on it by law enforcement and military forces while still providing the windage and elevation adjustment capabilities that have come to be associated with high-end equipment.
While a preferred embodiment of an adjustable rear pistol sight, in accordance with the present invention, has been set forth fully and completely hereinabove, it will be apparent to one of skill in the art that various changes could be made without departing from the true spirit and scope of the present invention which is accordingly to be limited only by the appended claims.
While not a lawyer way I read their patent anyone that uses a dovetail cut and makes an adjustible rear site using tool grade steel "or the like", EDM machining and is adjustible is violating the spirit of their design. Thats a pretty broad brush stroke and having run two patents through the system in our company history learned really fast any minor change in design, such as angles of cut or other allows a bigger fish to take your design to market and be making money before a small outfit has secured financing to start production. Why I have a very marketable item have been told should patent won't waste the money as a bigger company can have their verso on market and making enough money to break me in legal fees trying to fight them. So sell my battery lifts to companies that want my lifts and if a bigger company takes them to production I will market mine as the "original and best" piggybacking their product marketing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunners View Post
They is just too much chance of something going wrong. Ever try to mill a dovetail in a Norinco slide?
Why I recommended sending off if not close to my shop, might let someone chuck a piece of metal in the mill and run a cutter through it but would not cut a slide I did not own as would hate buying a slide and fitting because of a fluke. Have never had issue on one of my slides but a former employee who was my best friend from high school till died at 50 wanted to try and customize a Norinco himself as was cheap. Felt need to do work unwilling to pay for, my part time machinist was not due to come in for over a week due to health issue with his wife and friend was least mechanically inclined person ever knew. Had more reloading issues in average month than I had in life and only thing let him do in shop other than interact with clients if I was out of shop (MBA plus two other degrees, teaching certificate and dressed more like owner than me) was prep for paint and paint since he was raised in a body shop.

He was working on his slide after hours and next morning found my cutter shanked off in mill and he never would talk about what happened but do know he ordered a "prefit" slide already cut for sights to finish the build and didn't try using my slide fitting bars, slide clamps, slide spreaders or any other tools to custom fit an out of the bag replacement slide. He blew that pistol up three times (Double charging and missing a charge in every other case was common for him) as he had way too much education, no mechanical skills and total inability to get along with supervisors at any place he tried getting a job.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote