The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Discussion Forums > The Great Outdoors

Notices

Old July 19, 2018, 15:06   #1
justashooter
Registered

FALaholic #: 5967
BETHEL CT LYNX SITING

was surveying power line poles in the bethel ct area today and a lynx walked right up to the truck to have a look at me. not skittish at all, but not rabid. just curious.

didn't get to the camera in time. here is a pic of the nearby site with a 200 foot drop from an 8 foot diameter caisson.

If the concept of heading on down to the local Home Depot and transforming $100 worth of random pipe bits into a killing machine doesn’t appeal to you, you’re a frikkin' pansy. Also, you’re probably sane and will live significantly longer than I will.

Nonetheless you disgust me, and I take comfort in the knowledge that your obituary will be nowhere near as humorous as mine.

The next time I hear "THE RANGE IS NOW HOT", it just wont be the same.

Max tried another question. "What sort of people live about here?"
"In THAT direction," the Jin said, waving its right paw round, "lives a Han: And in THAT direction," waving the other paw, "lives a Ming Hare. Visit either you like: they're both mad."
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Max remarked.
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Jin: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Max.
"You must be," said the Jin, "or you wouldn't have come here."
justashooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2018, 16:49   #2
EinheitElf
Registered

FALaholic #: 21533
Damn, was hoping for a picture. I think it is the canadian lynx that can get about the size of a mountain lion....or is that the Eurasian lynx?? I just love all the felines along with healthy respect for what the bigger ones can do.

Guess a good thing not to get surprised when being on one of those pads..
EinheitElf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2018, 11:22   #3
alphadog58
Registered

FALaholic #: 9405
That’s cool that they are coming back to CT. As the state is becoming reforested, the critters are returning. I have a picture of a mountain lion my friend’s mom took in Sterling. Saw a trail cam photo this spring of a black bear and two cubs in the woods behind my house. A moose got hit on Rt. 2 in Bozrah two years ago. Local fish and game club had many moose dishes at their annual wild game dinner.
Larry
Old July 26, 2018, 19:55   #4
lew
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 16727
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinheitElf View Post
Damn, was hoping for a picture. I think it is the canadian lynx that can get about the size of a mountain lion....or is that the Eurasian lynx?? I just love all the felines along with healthy respect for what the bigger ones can do.

Guess a good thing not to get surprised when being on one of those pads..
Neither lynx species get as big as mountain lion.

"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence." -Christopher Hitchens
lew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 26, 2018, 22:01   #5
John A
Registered

FALaholic #: 73828
We have lynx arther south of you too.

Here are two different cats that I have gotten on my trail cameras at our cabin.

You can actually see the cabin in the 2nd picture in the background.

Have plenty of other critters there too.

Elk, coyotes, maybe a wolf, deer, turkey, etc.

the state says these don't live here too, but I beg to differ. This one was taken about a mile away from the other cameras across the creek from where I grew up.

And this the mystical chupacabra

Sick bear

Last edited by John A; July 26, 2018 at 22:07.
John A is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 27, 2018, 03:06   #6
EinheitElf
Registered

FALaholic #: 21533
Quote:
Originally Posted by lew View Post
Neither lynx species get as big as mountain lion.
Well then sombody lied. I had read that a species of lynx can get to like 60kg which puts it in puma,mountain lion territory...unless it was meant to be pounds and they put kg..

Time to search. Beautiful animals no matter the size.
EinheitElf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 27, 2018, 11:02   #7
Riversidesports
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 36091
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinheitElf View Post
Well then sombody lied. I had read that a species of lynx can get to like 60kg which puts it in puma,mountain lion territory...unless it was meant to be pounds and they put kg..

Time to search. Beautiful animals no matter the size.
Lynx are like rather large domestic Cats
regardless what State fish cops tell ya' they are very widely distributed.

I live pretty much edge of America
we have never Not had Lynx and even Mountain Lion here
funny business
For years folks knew about a few local Elk herds
State said, nope Elk are not in Minnesota
well one night after bar close a gal from Grygla runs into a herd of Black Elk crossing the Highway. Kinda hard to deny after that.

Maybe ten years back the Chief of Police was asked by his daughter if she could go pet the doggie outside. Chief walks out on his stoop, here's a damn' Mountain Lion catching some sun on his driveway slab
He chucked a ball at it, it rolled over looked at him and got up sauntering away...that was right in town

Yeah I get the beauty of nature but most here have never dealt with Black Bear in your trash
worse yet, Bald Eagles

The Canadian Geese have became so damn bad towns up here have been forced to close public beaches due to the bacteria count from their shit everywhere.
Never would have happened years ago
Geese were food, you killed and ate them and they understood that.
Today any given day there are at least a 100+ of them shitting up everything
they lost their fear of Man

Hardly ever saw Pelican when I was young
Commercial and Sport fisherman shot them on site
This spring while the fish were spawning in the Rapid river there must have been a thousand of them at the rapids where it meets the Rainy

Same is true of Muskrat, Beaver, etc
no one traps here anymore
this is leading to an uptick in Martins, Fishers and even Wolverines.
seen a bit of Otter sign as well, fresh slides, etc
I refused to trap Otter, they are one cool assed animal...pretty unique.

Years ago I had a pet Lynx. Friend found it in a tree in the Game refuge, thought it was a normal kitten
Funny as hell, my gal and I are at their place in Crookston partying it up. Cat zips out from under the sofa goes halfway up the wall jumps off and hides again. Well after I managed a closer look at it and heard the story I was like, Uh' you do realize that's a Lynx right Lee ?
dummie didn't, well his wife didn't want no wild cat in the house so we ended up with it and that was an eventful couple years until it finally left.
Still have scars from playing with that bitch

Seeing them in the wild is a rare thing, a privilage
truth is they usually don't let you know they are there
my working theory is most animals can sense threat in Humans
It's why domestic dogs often detest uniforms for example
they also smell your fear

in the OPs case the Cat walked up thinking, well what the Hell is this ?
saw no threat and hung out for a bit
Years ago I used to hitch hike between Bemidji & Baudette. Once you hit Waskish it was roughly 40 miles of highway through marshland. No one lived there, no power poles, phone, etc...just a lonely stretch of tar headed toward the border. Timber Wolves would shadow me, just curious. Started bringing along cut beef I'd toss at them...after a time I was able to hand feed a few of that pack. They rest were still very shy though

Dad got me started young
Have a few old pix of me as a toddler hand feeding wild Big Horn sheep Ritz crackers at the side of a gravel in the Canadian Rockies when I was maybe 5.
As a child I was no threat and Big Horns are extremely skittish about Humans. I'll see if I can have pops dig them out and post a couple in this thread. Had old guides look at them and just scratch their heads

Bigger felines though I just don't have that kind of trust in them
remove tools and we are no longer the Apex Predator
we are simply food waiting to be culled by our betters
Riversidesports is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 27, 2018, 11:55   #8
John A
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riversidesports View Post
Yeah I get the beauty of nature but most here have never dealt with Black Bear in your trash
Amen brother.

Living in the Appalachian mountains, I have had my trash bin turned over 3 times in a single day, by 3 different bears.

Anyone that thinks bears are cool, awesome creatures, have never lived with them. I absolutely hate everything about them.

They're worse than a stray dog and more destructive.

http://www.wymt.com/content/news/Bear-433349473.html

I have photos of at least 18 different bears on the trail cameras at my cabin.

That's in one single location.

They are way over populated and there is not enough food to sustain their numbers naturally, so they have no alternative than eating your trash and coming into your yards eating your dog food or birdfeeders and stuff.

I blame the situation on the politicians who passed so many laws that protect them. And the state was generous to give us a 2 day hunting season [sarcasm].

The season is the weekend before Christmas when they are likely to be denning to try to appease mostly the animal activists and to quieten down some of the screaming from voters to be able to cull their numbers.

How mighty kind of them to charge a $50 tag when everyone knows their unlikely to see one.

Though, in recent years after growing tired of being ignored, many people have started ignoring the laws and started taking care of business and just gut shooting them and not saying anything about it when they need to. I blame that situation on politicians too. People shouldn't be afraid to protect their families and property from anyone or anything. Let alone from a 600 pound wild dangerous animal that has became territorial over your backyard because that's where the garbage cans are.

How heavy do you trhink a dumpster diving bear would have to be to leave a track like this in an established and hard packed yard?

I can give you a hint. My riding lawnmower with me sitting on top of it weighs about 600 pounds and it doesn't leave tracks like this in my yard. Do they leave tracks like that in your yard?

Oh, but bears only get about 250 pounds.

Bullshit.

And yes, that bear has been tagged and relocated. Notice the collar.

If you think that black bears don't get very big ~250 pounds, I dare you to click on this link.

https://www.google.com/search?q=600+...ddress&ie=&oe=

Notice how close the bear is to the trampoline where children play.

This photo is inside a covered car port. Yes, those are muddy bear tracks on top of the car hood. Imagine what could happen if your wife and small child or grandchild happened to walk into the car port while the bear was inside of there in front of the car and they didn't notice it first and it wanted out?

Yeah, I don't like bears. When you have to stand outside with a gun so your kids and grandkids can play outside in your own yard, I bet you wouldn't like them either.
Old July 27, 2018, 13:17   #9
Riversidesports
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

John, totally sympathetic...
used to kill em' whenever I saw them
Had one tear a big ass hole through the side of my garbage shed. It took 4 of 6 37mm beanbags to the head before a .45-70 slug through the ear

One solution I learned from a bee keeper was Green Koolaide
yeah Antifreeze
Bears love it.

before that I came up with spirals
razor ground lengths of spring steel tied with light organic cord wrapped in semi rotting meat.
Bear eats, gastric juices dissolve and razor coil unwinds in it's gut
Bear goes off and dies somewhere.
Boo hoo...

I respect them for what they are
200 pound + Rats in my yard
Old July 27, 2018, 14:30   #10
12v71
Perched in the MP
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 71127
I hate black bears, my family had a winter cabin in the mountains of NE Oregon. The damn things were everywhere. We didn't leave garbage outside but they would scratch on the walls because they could smell it, I came out the door one morning and a bear had my Blue Heeler in it's mouth. I beat the shit out of the bear with a #2 square point shovel. After that the .44 mag Super Blackhawk was always with me. Never saw one after that.

"Freedom is not a crime"

I'm a heavy equipment mechanic because brain surgery was far too easy.
12v71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 27, 2018, 18:53   #11
Riversidesports
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12v71 View Post
I hate black bears, my family had a winter cabin in the mountains of NE Oregon. The damn things were everywhere. We didn't leave garbage outside but they would scratch on the walls because they could smell it, I came out the door one morning and a bear had my Blue Heeler in it's mouth. I beat the shit out of the bear with a #2 square point shovel. After that the .44 mag Super Blackhawk was always with me. Never saw one after that.
Never forget when I was living in the deep woods, little neighbor gal speeds in, crashes brakes, jumps out...THERES A BEAR IN MY YARD !

Now Liz is like 4'10 if that, maybe 85#s
looked at her, Girl you got a rifle, fix it damn you !
She wheels away, BOOM, a single shot from Dad's old .264 Magnum
She lived maybe 300 yards away, I jogged down there
yeah big ole bruin DOA, back of the skull just blown out
helped her use the 4 wheeler to drag it out, dug a shallow hole
Girl is still pissed at me to this very day.

wimmins...

wasn't like she wasn't gun handy, little huntress & sexy bitch
my best friend's little sister I used to baby sit.
couldn't do it & doing the Bear was like her leaving panties stuffed full in my couch, commitment.
and yeah, she bitched to her brothers, couple were not happy

Trust me Gals are deadlier than any other Predator
Liz went home, loaded the 700, walked out on the Deck waxing a Trophy Black in her front yard. One shot
yeah she had a very young son inside
Great mom, I'm an ass though...
Old July 29, 2018, 19:55   #12
John A
Registered

This was at my house last night

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vH4j...ature=youtu.be
Old July 30, 2018, 22:15   #13
Riversidesports
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by John A View Post
unfortunately it is growing more common every day John
Old July 31, 2018, 08:48   #14
Mebsuta
Khemi, Stygia
Contributor

FALaholic #: 4143
Lynx: known as a bobcat in Jesus Land. They live in the suburbs. I have seen them a couple of times walking at night; not up close, but more like a fleeting glimpse of an overgrown cat without a tail.

Last edited by Mebsuta; July 31, 2018 at 08:56.
Mebsuta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31, 2018, 11:46   #15
John A
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riversidesports View Post
unfortunately it is growing more common every day John
Yeah, KY fish and game had a small segment on the news this morning warning people they're going to start cracking down on people intentionally or unintentionally feeding the bears.

Hell, they'll write half the county tickets when they get into their trash. That is considered as unintentionally feeding them.

What's happening is they're getting so many complaints, they want to stop as many calls from coming in so they don't get as much heat from their supervisors up in Frankfort wondering why it's so bad.

A couple of weeks ago, there was some dunderhead that gave a video of a bear charging him while in the road in an attempt to show people how bad it is. He was asking the bear if it wanted something to eat. Of course, the bear had no idea what the guy was saying and it charged him, but that's just one case out of a hundred.

Anyway, the states response is laughable. The people are forcing their hand to write tickets to people. Watch the video in the link below.

Have to turn it around to make people be the problem instead of the poor little bears.

http://ekbtv.com/kentucky-conservati...f-black-bears/
Old July 31, 2018, 13:50   #16
Riversidesports
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by John A View Post
Yeah, KY fish and game had a small segment on the news this morning warning people they're going to start cracking down on people intentionally or unintentionally feeding the bears.

Hell, they'll write half the county tickets when they get into their trash. That is considered as unintentionally feeding them.

What's happening is they're getting so many complaints, they want to stop as many calls from coming in so they don't get as much heat from their supervisors up in Frankfort wondering why it's so bad.

A couple of weeks ago, there was some dunderhead that gave a video of a bear charging him while in the road in an attempt to show people how bad it is. He was asking the bear if it wanted something to eat. Of course, the bear had no idea what the guy was saying and it charged him, but that's just one case out of a hundred.

Anyway, the states response is laughable. The people are forcing their hand to write tickets to people. Watch the video in the link below.

Have to turn it around to make people be the problem instead of the poor little bears.

http://ekbtv.com/kentucky-conservati...f-black-bears/
Yep' people who don't have Bear around have no clue about their habits

At least Black Bear are not all that dangerous
Browns and White Bear ?
real trouble

Parents used to take me on serious trips every year
One year we ended up in Yellowstone, idiots everywhere hand feeding Black & Brown Bear. One campground we were at a girl was attacked by a Grizz in her way back from the camp bathrooms, ate about half of her.
That was enough for my Dad, we left that next morning.

Another trip up to Churchill they put me on a Tundra buggy to see the Polar Bears. Signs everywhere, "Keep Hands Inside"
So Bears come and get up on their hind legs to look at the snacks inside. Some retard reaches out through the slats to pet Gentle Ben
Boom, like that his arm was ripped off...made a heck of an impression on me.

I avoid Bear like the plague, very unperdictable creatures, the worst are Sows with Cubs.

Thankfully up here most have the decent sense to just kill them when they become a problem. Personally I can't begin to count the Bear I have killed. When I was younger I had been contracted by several tribal councils to rid their reservation of problem Bear up in Canada. Have a great old polaroid of me sitting on a pile of dead ones at a landfill with my Colt AR15. Just sat in the pickup with a case of beer and window shot them for a weekend. Chief cut me a check for a couple hundred. Indians wouldn't touch them, Totem animal but it was fine to pay a round eye to do the deed.

Most recent run in was when I still lived in Duluth MN
So here I am, half drunk walking home on the lake side Board Walk after a night at they Titty club, look up heres a big ole Sow with Cubs charging straight at me. I dove into the brush and they ran by. Called 911 right away, squad cars got them turned around, they were denned up in one of the huge drainage tiles. Thing is this was right downtown during tourist season in the most popular park so yeah no DNR, city cops with 12 gauge slugs dealt with that issue early that morning.

Yuppie tourists go in droves to the Bear Center in Ely:

https://www.bear.org/website/

they come away from the experience thinking they understand them
they don't
GF drug me there once for the tour, guide asked me what I thought ?
"Target Rich Environment" was my response
oh you hunt ?
"No, I just kill them"
thought I was going to get attacked by the tourists, lot of pissed people
Old July 31, 2018, 18:59   #17
John A
Registered

Yep, we have that too.

Unfortunately.

I loved your response to the guide.

http://www.wkyt.com/content/news/Mor...484736501.html
Old August 10, 2018, 20:01   #18
genmeagher
Registered

FALaholic #: 19947
May be a catamount. I’ve seen them very rarely in the Berkshire area of MA over the past three decades or so, particularly in the super remote places. Beautiful critters.

Here's to cheating, stealing, fighting, and drinking. If you cheat, may you cheat Death. If you steal, may you steal a woman's heart. When you fight, fight alongside a brother. And if you drink, you are welcome to drink with me.
genmeagher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11, 2018, 06:24   #19
Registered

FALaholic #: 66611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebsuta View Post
Lynx: known as a bobcat in Jesus Land. They live in the suburbs. I have seen them a couple of times walking at night; not up close, but more like a fleeting glimpse of an overgrown cat without a tail.
Hey Mebs, Lynx and bobcat are two different critters. Lynx grow slightly larger, have longer hair on their paws and tufts of hair on their ears. Look at pics of them, side by side, you can see the differences right off. Also, sorry John A., but your first two pics are bobcats, not Lynx. Doesn't mean much here on the forum, but it sure would, to a game warden, if you had them in a trap.
1769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11, 2018, 07:27   #20
John A
Registered

We have a hunting season and a trapping season here.

I don't mind the bobcats too much. It's the coyotes and bears that I hate.

The bears are overpopulated and the coyotes have decimated the grouse and turkey population in just a couple of years.
Old August 11, 2018, 16:27   #21
Riversidesports
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1769 View Post
Hey Mebs, Lynx and bobcat are two different critters. Lynx grow slightly larger, have longer hair on their paws and tufts of hair on their ears. Look at pics of them, side by side, you can see the differences right off. Also, sorry John A., but your first two pics are bobcats, not Lynx. Doesn't mean much here on the forum, but it sure would, to a game warden, if you had them in a trap.
well it is weird
Understand I agree with you but people define species differently depending on region. For example what we call a Mountain Lion here and West is a Panther East & South.

Another example are "Wolves"
In Northern Minnesota we have Timber Wolves and Brush Wolves
Brush Wolf is simply what other would call a Coyote, ours are just a bit larger. Think larger German Shepherd. Timbers are a whole lot bigger than that. Part of the issue is there has been centuries of cross breeding between them and even domestic Dogs

same deal with Lynx
no one here calls them that, popular term is "wildcat" or "bob cat"
truth is we have several distinct varieties in this State, some have interbred creating a homgenous breed of Forest Cat

Trapping:

I NEVER bothered actual Forest cats or canines
I see a domestic Dog or Cat in the Woods, I kill it dead and now
sound harsh ?
then keep your damn Deer chasing Dogs and Bird killing felines out of the Woods. Trust me, most everyone up here is the same way.
Brush Wolves get a bad rap for killing Grouse and Partidge, it's actually domestic strays gone wild. Before mom went in the care center that nut was feeding that population, my parents yard had multiple breeders, feral kittens everywhere. I cleaned that up over a few weekends with a .22 FX silenced semi auto airgun with an PVS4 night scope. Dad's yard is now cat free, murdered up over 30 of them. Birds have returned, life is good.
Cats are a very invasive species, same with domestic Dogs gone feral

As a youngster I was paid to murder up ferals by local farmers
see, Wolves would take one animal but Dogs just killed and killed for sport
Cats are worse yet. It was a pleasure to post up in a barn Hay Loft and make cash for zapping vermin. Get a great meal, a box of beer iced down in the cooler. Kill a cool half dozen, make 50 bones which was serious money in the 70s.
Funny, had a young gal ask me this morning at our farmer's market if I was "available still"...I misunderstood. She wants ferals wiped out.
Considering it, have to review Game Cam footage before I commit. I mean shit, she has teen aged boys I can teach to trap. I'm getting to lazy for this shit. Too much like work.
Old August 18, 2018, 16:24   #22
V guy
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 10282
Called bobcats around here.
Nothing sounds like a bobcat; an almost inhuman shreik.

Probably have been mistaken for big foot sounds, in the past.
V guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 20, 2018, 15:22   #23
seasmoke
Registered

FALaholic #: 71770
Agree on the bobcat sound. As a kid at deer camp, I got the call to go to the out-house around mid-night. I had just sat down and one let out an un-Godly shriek. Thankfully I was already sitting cause it scared the s**t outta me.

As to Black Bears, damn things are everywhere here. Very destructive animals. My Grandfather used to trap them and would take me to check the baits. If you have ever seen a 400+lb bear in a leg-hold, you know the meaning of pissed. Grandpa just walked up and put a .32 Win Spe in the ear. I still have that trap.
seasmoke is offline   Reply With Quote