The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The AR Files

Notices

Old September 14, 2018, 18:23   #51
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
Moving back to shooting apps. Built an ARP 18" 5R barrel on a SIG upper, Mag Tactical billet magnesium lower, SIG carbon fiber A2 stock and Rock River National Match tuned trigger which has no creep, with 1.5 pound first stage, breaks at 1.0 pounds then just enough travel doesn't hit the travel stop before lock time allows hammer to drop and projectile to exit bore. A sub $200 barrel on mostly milspec parts with lots of love matching and massaging parts so all were squared, trued and fit as precisely as I am capable. To date have half a dozen 275 to 307 first shot cold bore kills on varmints and have kept refining my algorithms in Strelock Pro for rifle and load.

Purchased a group of parts, reloading supplies, scopes and such in a bulk buy from tail end of estate. Pulled a lightly used Nikon MONARCH 7 Rifle Scope 30mm Tube 2.5-10x 50mm Side Focus Advanced BDC from the box and put on this build with a 1x red dot for CQB. Honestly thought this was one of the $275 Nikon Monarch 7's and didn't realize the side focus bumped it up to $799 street price in line with their Nikon "Black" series. Have tried Nikon scopes every few years since they offered and all failed or just sucked. Being Nikon came lens freak all my life it was a real let down to be a Nikon scope hater till released their Black's which for $600 to $900 street price are good scopes if find on sale or good used one. The Monarch has been surprising me as last week was getting mirage using my compact Steiner binoculars but when set front rifle rest on tailgate of truck, focused the scope and took a second range on ground hog to confirm 319 yards it was clear and crisp edge to edge.

This was the raw data entries for the shot as phone/Strelock Pro links to annenometer via Bluetooth, all weather conditions load from phone using closest available reports and other than selecting rifle and load from drop down which do each morning based on varmint rifle take all have to do is type in the range from range finder and press calculate.

Pressed the "Reticle" selection and this was the firing solution given without twisting on turrets for the shot. I have amended my load data as got opportunity to shoot groups on 200 yard range, shoot through chronograph at 100 yards to go with my ten feet from muzzle readings and made a series of long shots out in 300 yard vicinity where bullets hit a tad high or low on target so have my numbers pretty well tweaked.

Settled into the rifle and soon as the ground hog got a good mouthful and sat up to chew let the second stage of trigger break. Was enough time in flight on bullet got a good view as it hit about an inch from my intended point of aim. That could have been in me or on the algorithm. Have less than 200 rounds through this build and need to shoot it at 400 yards at a good range with sturdy benches and tweak my algorithm a bit more but to date is longest shot have taken with this build.

Have two Noveske 18" 6.8 builds and two White Oak Armament 20" Kreiger 6.8 tubes which shot a bit better than the ARP at the range but all four have double invested over the ARP build and none shoot twice as good. Talking 1/8 to 1/4 MOA advantage for the Noveske builds and 1/4 to 3/8 MOA advantage for the 20" Kreigers profiled by W.O.A. the Noveske builds have 2.0 pound Hiperfire 24E single stage triggers with a tune and the W.O.A. builds have Geissele triggers with a tune. Since the ARP shoots so well and is still in its break in phase tend to carry it in work truck as damage to it or glass is not the loss of one of the others.

Have over two dozen ballistics app including the $100 civilian version of BulletFlight which is a slightly less featured version of what some dot gov and dot mil snipers use. The $20 Strelock Pro works easier for me plus sent request for three reticles, two Horus and one Tubbs DTAC that Leupold custom shop offers which all popped up in my drop down menu three days later after doing an update. Have read where people requested a reticle and it was added in under 24 hours. That is some service from Igor Borisov. With all the apps I wonder how much of my rifle and load profiles along with shot calculations end up in vendors database but really don't care. Igor may be more trustworthy than the folks the write dot gov and dot mil shooting apps.

Farmer had just plowed and harrowed field and was unsure if he had just planted a fall/winter crop, sprayed or was about to plant and didn't want to tromp 300+ yards through his field to observe and photograph the body. Know the 90 grain Speer TNT still did it's job as sprayed blood and stew for 10 to 20 feet behind body and looked like a piece assume was opposite side arm removed from body. A $550 build with a $200 scope as wouldn't pay more as thought it was a $289 standard Monarch when made offer on the box. When have a $750 rifle/optic investment 6.8 spc II that's 90%+ in the 300 yard first round cold bore kill on varmints can't be happier. Deer and zombies would be easy hits at 300 and believe at 400 to 500 as well. My respect for the 6.8 is continuing to grow. At 400 to 600 yards is carrying over double the energy of a 5.56. Will take double any day and is within an inch at 400 of same bullet drop as 6.5 Grendel and 3" more drop at 500 then 10" at 600 with 85% to 90% of same energy.

If not able to shoot 5.56 for about half of what it takes to build good 6.8 ammo difference of under a dime per round but dimes add up every magazine full, especially on a long range day with some binary fire from beta mags. Will keep my 5.56 as have some long barrel, slow twist air gauged 5.56 that will kill varmints out to 500 yards fairly easily in light or no wind. Have been trying some wildcats, abandoned a lot of cartridges but appear to be standardizing the fleet on 6.8 for most killing applications, 458 SOCOM for subsonic and 5.56 for inexpensive range fodder and still some precision shooting just knowing that am down to 200 ft/lbs of energy at 600 yards but operators have a fair number of 800 yard kills at 800 meters with 5.56 Mk 12 Mod 0, 1 and H builds thus do it right and still gets the job done.

Had three more books arrive today but have not opened the packages yet. Also found a box of magazines all with articles on AR 15's or predominantly AR 15 centered publications going back to Y2K. 18 years of articles on poodle shooters to refresh myself with and add to the book case as what to get my firearms and reloading hard print library organized and all in one place.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 10, 2018, 18:06   #52
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Rode around one of my Noveske Mk 12 clones for a few days after going on the Mk 12 clone gathering of local military clone groupies and got a great opportunity on a coyote along with spending an evening over a field with my 20" HBar which is in the truck for a scope swap. Has a Leupold Mk AR 3-9x but it shoots so well figure another 3x power in top end will help when try touching out past 400 yards and especially shooting groups at 200 and 400 yard lines.

Distance, slope and wind speed entered for the Mk 12 just not wind direction:

Direct headwind entered into tab:

Final solution and notice the thin line chevron showing effect of headwind for informational purposes:

This is a coyote that didn't even realize I was on the planet and the 69 grain Black Hills SMK's run in its 20" 1:8 HBar barrel spoke even just past the 400 yard line which have worked this rifle just enough at 400 yard rifle range feel confident with it.

Wind direction entered:

Even with a Leupold Mk AR 3-9x scope the big rifle will do its job in a very satisfying way. Have a 4-12x Leupold to swap onto it and why it's been in the truck past week. Just not gotten time to swap scopes and go through sight in:

The Noveske is sighted in for Tubbs 5.56 DTAC with 69 grain SMK's which is now my preferred commercial ammo. At 70 cents per round and how well it shoots makes good match ammo as cheap as I can load it plus lots of good matched brass for precision reloading. When swap the scope on the 20" HBar it will be sighted in for the Tubbs 5.56 DTAC which has a guarantee of no more than 10" of vertical stringing at 1,000 yards and under 500 it's almost like it's riding a wire or a rail. Notice how little drift with an almost full crosswind combined with just enough headwind to make it a tough shot to dope in my head or with a chart.

Like my Strelock Pro and Borris recently added two reticles in under 24 hours again for me. Told him had at least a dozen bolt rifles in vault with old Leupolds and U.S. Burris not in the drop down and said not to worry, soon as I am willing to pilfer the vaults and send the brand, model and crosshair he will get them added. Maybe buying three licensed copies hasn't hurt but hear others who have same positive response. Spent the day following cortisone injections in my feet profiling more rifles into the software.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
Old October 11, 2018, 20:33   #53
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Just got two new books in today's mail and been flipping through them and like all Walt's books are well done and sure will glean enough knowledge to make them worth the cost. Just one trick that helps with accuracy, trouble shooting or any part of building and operating a rifle is money well spent for me as can increase my skills as sit in my recliner or porcelain throne.

Builders Guide:

Operators Guide:

If not building buy just the operators guide, if building buy at least the builders guide if not both.
Old October 15, 2018, 19:05   #54
fal762
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 66358
Are these new books or new editions of older books? I ask as the ARs shown on the covers have factory style round guards and not some of the new type guards on them. I would think they would want something new if they are trying to show how to build or use the AR.
fal762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15, 2018, 21:02   #55
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

The "New" is 2014 the other is 2002 but we're not in my library. I will buy urgent and older on occasion to fill in gaps as find a lot of bargain rifles people have had till tired of and like to be able to pull different references till am able to identify all of the parts as break things down into chunks if doesn't shoot sub MOA when take to the range and then even if leave alone know what it really is. I have several really fresh titles that were released in last 90 days but many are E-Books.
Old October 15, 2018, 22:58   #56
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

These are all 2018 published books I have purchased on AR 15's thus far and looking for more. Have others with chapters on AR's but these are poodle shooter specific. Found a bunch of 2015 through 2017 books have never seen as well as 1990 through 2005 that were not on Amazon but another site that specialized in firearms books. Going to have to totally reorganize library after read them all.

Old October 16, 2018, 12:20   #57
fal762
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 66358
Thanks. As stated, was just curious.
Have you noticed any differences or changes (aside the obvious accessories) in thinking or doctrine between the eras or books? Either as a group or from individual writers or...?
fal762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16, 2018, 12:33   #58
goon
Registered

FALaholic #: 9673
I guess I understand the nostalgia / history of some builds like an old A1 clone. I started with midlength 16Ē uppers with standard front sight towers, and found that the FSB gets in the way of many things. Love the old school FSB for the durability, but from now on, Iím going low profile with a 1913 / MLOK forend. Probably sticking with 5.56 1/7 twist, but I might try a .300 BO at some point.

Iím a little nostalgic over the FAL or AK, but not much over the AR.
goon is online now   Reply With Quote