Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The HK Files

Notices

Old September 27, 2018, 19:57   #1
raubvogel
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64403
HK Slap

Was it practiced by German soldiers or did it come from the same place the practices the "tactical AK reload" that demands smacking the magazine release with another magazine?
raubvogel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 27, 2018, 20:14   #2
Klaus Von Richter
Registered

FALaholic #: 75823
Well HK in the MP5 manual says to slap the charging handle.

I found the section of the MP5 Manual that instructs the HK slap.

Last edited by Klaus Von Richter; September 28, 2018 at 10:41.
Klaus Von Richter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 28, 2018, 08:17   #3
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaus Von Richter View Post
Well HK in the MP5 manual says to slap the charging handle.
The G3 manual says "release the cocking lever" and shows a left palm and a forward arrow.

But it is a lot stiffer slapping a G3 than an MP5.

The 41 manual says "Permit the cocking lever to snap forward from rearmost position" and shows an open right palm coming across the top or the rifle.

The only problem I have with slapping it is the inevitable wear it puts on the charge handle guide tube. I can't say I've ever seen one so worn as to not lock open, so perhaps my "concern" is without merit.

But then GIs don't worry about collector value.
Old September 28, 2018, 10:01   #4
J. Armstrong
Minister of Amusement
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 13629
But what about the OPs question about the mag release ?

ďI respect the government only in the sense that I respect any other dangerous predator who views me as food.Ē

ďThe consolidation of the states into one vast empire, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of ruin which has overwhelmed all that preceded it.Ē Robert E. Lee
J. Armstrong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 28, 2018, 10:47   #5
Klaus Von Richter
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunplumber View Post
The G3 manual says "release the cocking lever" and shows a left palm and a forward arrow.

But it is a lot stiffer slapping a G3 than an MP5.

The 41 manual says "Permit the cocking lever to snap forward from rearmost position" and shows an open right palm coming across the top or the rifle.

The only problem I have with slapping it is the inevitable wear it puts on the charge handle guide tube. I can't say I've ever seen one so worn as to not lock open, so perhaps my "concern" is without merit.

But then GIs don't worry about collector value.
Other than finish wear I couldnít imagine the HK slap wearing out a charging handle or a cocking tube recess.

All my HK clones I built to be used, so I slap them like they owe me money. If you were dealing with an original MP5,91,93 etc, I can understand why some would be easier on them.

As for a GI, Iíd imagine knowing your rifle is properly chambered is more important than finish wear on the charging handle and or cocking tube. Look at all those Cetme kits with bent cocking tubes.
Old September 28, 2018, 11:04   #6
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Armstrong View Post
But what about the OPs question about the mag release ?
The OP was asking whether slapping the cocking handle is as stupid and retarded as using a magazine to strike the mag catch.

The answers are "no, it is not. It is as described in the manual." (or were you asking just to stir up some shit, knowing how often I have mocked and ridiculed this completely stupid "technique"?)

You will also note, that the manual specifies a less violent method of chambering (Pull and release) for administrative purposes.

I believe that outlining an "administrative" (range) method and a non-administrative method (combat), suggests that there is a long-term detrimental effect of slapping. Otherwise there would only be one method.

The point of both, as with any charging handle, is to let the action do the work. Do not "ride" the charging handle forward, as this can result in incomplete chambering.

Last edited by gunplumber; September 28, 2018 at 11:11.
gunplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29, 2018, 16:22   #7
Clouseau
Registered

FALaholic #: 8215
I cringe whenever I see someone slap the charging handle. I just donít see the point.
I know everyone thinks it looks cool, but in a real world scenario is it really useful? Why would you ever need to lock the bolt back between mag changes? The longer the action is open, the more chance of dirt and debris entering it causing a malfunction.
Also, it seems like doing the slap just adds to the recharging process.
Remove empty mag, insert loaded mag, pull back charging handle,....simple.

I donít think that thereís anything wrong with doing the HK slap. Itís just not for me.

FFL
$15 transfers in SE Ohio
Clouseau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 29, 2018, 18:30   #8
Klaus Von Richter
Registered

To slap, or not to slap, that is the question.
Old September 29, 2018, 21:35   #9
hkshooter
Mighty Fine!
Contributor

FALaholic #: 5391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clouseau View Post
Why would you ever need to lock the bolt back between mag changes?
I see you've never tried to insert and lock a fully loaded mag into an HK type on a closed bolt. Give it a shot. Then try it under stress.
Come back and post your results.

I've seen HK instructors promote the slap. Big whoop. I've seen well used HK types with the locking notch worn almost completely flat with a big burr of smooshed material sticking up in front of the damage. I've slapped a few but more normal protocol is to pull the charging handle back, rotate down, and let it slip from my grasp. What GP refers to as "administrative purposes". Personally I feel the slap is borderline abuse. Sue me.
Old September 30, 2018, 07:54   #10
Clouseau
Registered

FALaholic #: 8215
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkshooter View Post
I see you've never tried to insert and lock a fully loaded mag into an HK type on a closed bolt. Give it a shot. Then try it under stress.
Come back and post your results.
Never make assumptions.

I didnít mean to imply that my way was the only way, or even the best way, for everyone. I simply meant that in 25yrs of using that technique Iíve never had a problem seating a fully loaded mag in an HK weapon.

To each his own.

FFL
$15 transfers in SE Ohio
Clouseau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 02, 2018, 08:51   #11
Bones2586
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 76766
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clouseau View Post
Why would you ever need to lock the bolt back between mag changes?

Remove empty mag, insert loaded mag, pull back charging handle,....simple.

So...recent range experience with a HK93 clone. Was unable to insert a loaded magazine while the cocking handle/bolt was forward...magazine loaded as normal once I locked the bolt back, and the rifle operated as advertised. I learned something that trip, haven't taken the HK type rifle family members out in a very long time (little rusty). Didn't slap it forward/down with any force, more like "popped" it. Good times!
Bones2586 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 02, 2018, 11:48   #12
lew
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 16727
I can insert loaded mags into my PTR-91 with no problem, but the slap is fun on occasion. I don't shoot it enough to worry about it, though.

"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence." -Christopher Hitchens
lew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 02, 2018, 21:54   #13
raubvogel
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64403
Quote:
Originally Posted by lew View Post
I can insert loaded mags into my PTR-91 with no problem, but the slap is fun on occasion.
raubvogel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 03, 2018, 09:29   #14
Bubacus
Registered

FALaholic #: 13971
If you don't care about wear and tear on an HK gun like most LEO or Military folks do, slap away. I never saw the sense in it. Some of the HK clones I have are a bit to spendy to beat on. Don't want to break a cocking handle or cause a problem with the metal cocking tube...to lazy to fix it.

I took a friend to the range with a GSG-5 years ago and the first thing he did was slap the hell out of the charging handle. I let him know that Zinc and plastic doesn't hold up as well against his oversized mits as a G3 charging handle. Asked him to please stop...
Old October 03, 2018, 11:31   #15
lew
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 16727
Quote:
Originally Posted by raubvogel View Post
You've got the technique down.

"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence." -Christopher Hitchens
lew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 04, 2018, 22:58   #16
aussiedave
Registered

FALaholic #: 7307
the Bundeswehr firearms instructors always told us to slap the cocking handle due to the need for the bolt to go fully into battery, it is what I was taught in a military that used the HK G3, it is in the manual of arms.

2nd panzergrenadier div, 1984/85.
Old October 09, 2018, 14:14   #17
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
I do not shoot my HK91/G3's very often but when do pull back on charging handle, let it fly and shoot. Never had one of mine fail to fully go into battery but as purchased mostly for collector/investment reasons they generally don't get run hard while being abused. Keep them clean, oiled and mostly vault queens for now but am itching to put a Franklin Binary Trigger Pack in one and if do so it might get treated a lot less gently plus used a lot more with surplus ammo.

If that day comes and fails to go fully into battery a couple times may start slapping it around gently. Like a woman, sometimes need to get their attention but if leave any bruises its counterproductive. (Just joking folks, be a good way to wake up with a fork buried to the handle through the eye socket at my house) If the rifle would not chamber a round dropping the bolt freely would likely start looking at possible replacement of springs or other issues with the rifle. Laying in a mud hole getting shot at and will beat on it like a rented mule if necessary to make sure always fired on a freshly charged magazine.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote