The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The L1A1, inch-pattern, and Indian Files

Notices

Old August 27, 2018, 19:02   #1
OneEyedJack75
Registered

FALaholic #: 81384
L1A1 Selector Switch Removal?

The lower from my British L1A1 has the lower stripped except for the selector switch which I looked at and I can't figure on how to remove. The hole on the right side is smaller than on the left but the left side is too small to let the switch go thru. I'm sure either the outside lever has to be removed and the inside part could be wiggled out from the inside of the lower or the larger sleeved portion with the pins protruding has to come off. I searched the site and couldn't find anything. Since I'm new to the FAL, I need help so anyone that can point me in the right direction would be appreciated.
Thanks,
OneEyedJack75
OneEyedJack75 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 27, 2018, 19:04   #2
308/223shooter
FALAholic enabler
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 15405
Look for a "C" clip on the inside of the lower, and attached to the change lever { selector } if there's no clip, rotate the change lever anti-clockwise till the "nub" on the shaft lines up wirh the cutout in the lower. It should just pull out .

The biggest problem with religion is those who claim to know Jesus, then turn around and deny Him with their lifestyle. That is what a unbelieving world, simply finds unbelievable.

Before you die, you should have a will with extra copies. The old saying "No one will screw you faster than family" is bloody well true.
308/223shooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 27, 2018, 19:48   #3
OneEyedJack75
Registered

FALaholic #: 81384
I see the clip but it is moved towards the center of the switch. I figure it must go against the inside left of the lower, correct? Any tricks of getting it off as I hate C clips. Anyway it makes sense now. I just have to learn about these small FAL quirks.
Many thanks,
OneEyedJack75
OneEyedJack75 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 27, 2018, 20:10   #4
308/223shooter
FALAholic enabler
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneEyedJack75 View Post
I see the clip but it is moved towards the center of the switch. I figure it must go against the inside left of the lower, correct? Any tricks of getting it off as I hate C clips. Anyway it makes sense now. I just have to learn about these small FAL quirks.
Many thanks,
OneEyedJack75
Small needle nose pliers or a curved seal pick works.

The biggest problem with religion is those who claim to know Jesus, then turn around and deny Him with their lifestyle. That is what a unbelieving world, simply finds unbelievable.

Before you die, you should have a will with extra copies. The old saying "No one will screw you faster than family" is bloody well true.
Old August 27, 2018, 20:11   #5
308/223shooter
FALAholic enabler
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneEyedJack75 View Post
Many thanks,
OneEyedJack75
Small needle nose pliers or a curved seal pick works. May also be a small pin in there as well.

Old August 27, 2018, 20:44   #6
kysjck
Registered

FALaholic #: 31833
A C-clip in a Britt L1A1 is unusual. The Britts were issued with cotter pins in the selector shaft and Izzie rifles got the C-clips. Neither army had much faith in the intelligence of their troops. If the shaft has neither, move the lever to the top with the action open. A small tab on the shaft will the align with a notch in the top of the hole and the shaft will slide out.
kysjck is online now   Reply With Quote