The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Discussion Forums > Survival & Preparedness

Notices

Old April 15, 2019, 08:50   #1001
C2A1
Registered

FALaholic #: 15514
At a higher level, what is being pondered. However, there is so much infighting between the left, right and swamp, I'm not sure anything will be done except at local levels.
https://thehill.com/opinion/national...e-the-next-war
C2A1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 15, 2019, 16:00   #1002
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 67949
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2A1 View Post
At a higher level, what is being pondered. However, there is so much infighting between the left, right and swamp, I'm not sure anything will be done except at local levels.
https://thehill.com/opinion/national...e-the-next-war
We're on our own, always been that way for anything huge.

It ain't the firearms they are wanting to be rid of, its you!
yellowhand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2019, 08:49   #1003
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
Woke to massive lightning storm about four am and been up since. Has calmed a bit for moment but am morning have heard and seen to occasional big smack followed by the arc of a transformer cooking off or sirens wailing a few minutes after each. For some reason just mm last week GA Power was out "inspecting" my whole house surge protection system for third of fourth time. Usually it's a tech along with a couple guys in suits where tech sets up a ground rod resistance test and will run both 3 and 4 rod fall of potential test and a stakeless two rod test attaching to the two rods code calls for from meter base using something like a Fluke 1625-2 earth ground testing kit.

Most recently they showed up with a Megger GTS-300 Safety Ground Tester Kit which have only seen three times in my life and the techs running them said their company rents the machine when they need it due to expense. They asked me again about how many ground rods, how they were connected, etc. Asked why such a big deal and said they would like to find an affordable way to get the numbers my halo ground system is posting and determine how I got the house at such a low potemtial.

Told them a dozen rods, attach everything from phone, cable t.v., power rear in slab, plumbing and be sure to drive a few rods to bed rock but say no house in a area with their monthly subscription surge protection is grounded nearly as well as we are and am better than some cell tower sites and critical Ma Bell buildings. Just lucky I guess combined with a lot of work. They saw the new radio tower going up and we're very interested in the start of its additional ground system and radials.

Storm was booming so bad by 4:30 am I killed my connection to the grid and went in genertor. When see transformers blowing up in the distance from lighting strikes, hear sirens constantly and such generally separate us from the rest of the world. Even hit the physical disconnect to wire pair for phone coming in house which got a call from alarm company asking ik knew phone was down and told them had it disconnected till storms cleared and why had cellular and radio backup to the wire pair. Even if just a serious lighting storm if able to get unattached from a coast to coast spiderweb of overhead wires let the generator run a test cycle till storms pass. Guarantee the Mosfets in my UPC's and other surge protection devices appreciated not having to contend with all the brown outs and short outages we were having.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 22, 2019, 12:30   #1004
C2A1
Registered

more on AF take on EMP. Some of the other articles are interesting such as mining on the moon and the F-15EX vs F-35.
http://www.airforcemag.com/Features/...se-Summit.aspx
Old April 22, 2019, 14:02   #1005
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Owner of Virgin Records, Airlines, etc has a department that studies trends to invest in technologies and products 100 years in future, another that works 500 years into the future and one that works a millenium into the future. They are already working to acquire mining rights on the moon, Mars, in the Kepler Asteroid Belt and more. 100 years from now they will be bringing iridium back from the moon, 500 from now minerals from Mars and 1,000 years will be dragging asteroids back to the moon or near earth orbit to slice into most profitable chunks. Think they have not looked at EMP? I look at private sector to do more than the government to ensure profits in any trajedy.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
Old April 22, 2019, 14:54   #1006
C2A1
Registered

Yes, Richard is a character for sure. There is a member here that tell some good stories on the organization (or disorganization as the case maybe).
Old May 06, 2019, 19:17   #1007
C2A1
Registered

Latest AF report. Everybody is dancing on a pin. EPRI the lobbyists for the utilities really wants to downplay the EMP issue because of cost. AF takes exception because the bases need that electricity. That is why they mention in the report that all results must be viewed outside of special interests. The AF doesn't want the wrath either so they talk about 30 day total down time but the nuclear reactor issue is in play. So 30 days is too long so the grid must survive. Everyone I talk to in the DOD says it's bad and they are trying as hard as they can to get off the grid and have independent fuel.
https://freebeacon.com/national-secu...tronic-attack/
Old May 06, 2019, 19:20   #1008
C2A1
Registered

Here is some thought about EPRI. This is not new. They have fought against the EMP task force for at least a decade.
https://michaelmabee.info/epri-emp-report/
Old May 07, 2019, 00:05   #1009
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Latest AF report. Everybody is dancing on a pin. EPRI the lobbyists for the utilities really wants to downplay the EMP issue because of cost. AF takes exception because the bases need that electricity. That is why they mention in the report that all results must be viewed outside of special interests. The AF doesn't want the wrath either so they talk about 30 day total down time but the nuclear reactor issue is in play. So 30 days is too long so the grid must survive. Everyone I talk to in the DOD says it's bad and they are trying as hard as they can to get off the grid and have independent fuel.
https://freebeacon.com/national-secu...tronic-attack/
Help me out on this a little, my reasoning of the individual issues at hand.

If we get hit hard by an EMP, power goes away overnight.

For individuals, having enough chow for 12 plus months, water, medicines, fuel, living in an isolated area, makes that person likely one of the 10% congressional reports say will survive 12 months after an EMP, correct?

I just crossed this country by vehicle, and the East coast is a lost cause if anything like an EMP hits, the population density is simply insane back there, with back there being LA going east.

And I'm speaking of the other LA, not the one out in crazy land California.

Taking the population from 300,000,000 to less than 30,000,000 in 12 months, if that has not gotten folks attention by now, nothing said by anyone ever will.

So, we;re all back to, all survival is an individual need..............

Old May 07, 2019, 05:09   #1010
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

I just want to live longer than the total fools. Can't live forever and may as well empty all this ammo been hoarding before I go. We can feed two for over two years without resupply. Anyone coming to the Ponderosa has been told food, ammo and meds are most important items can bring. We have plenty of firearms to burn the ammo. Without regular medical care most of us aging folks only have so long anyway as our medical system is main reason most live past retirement.
Old May 07, 2019, 11:11   #1011
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyville View Post
I just want to live longer than the total fools. Can't live forever and may as well empty all this ammo been hoarding before I go. We can feed two for over two years without resupply. Anyone coming to the Ponderosa has been told food, ammo and meds are most important items can bring. We have plenty of firearms to burn the ammo. Without regular medical care most of us aging folks only have so long anyway as our medical system is main reason most live past retirement.
Smart folks tend to find a way to survive about anything, would suspect, enough docs or otherwise smart folks will figure out a way to handle most everything.

An Emp hits, people starve, starving people look for food, not labs and hardware, labs and hardware only need people to operate, suspect Huey you'd be fine once survivors get stuff back up and running.

Pack away enough to handle the period in the middle, from when it occurs to when people, survivors, pick up the pieces.

Warehouses full of "goods" and no people around, or few, folks would not need to make new stuff for a long time, with 90% of population gone.

Old May 07, 2019, 18:39   #1012
TheOtherChris
Registered

FALaholic #: 2050
My guess is that any kind of sudden event like that will cause the EBT hoarde to riot and loot. They will loot big screen TVs even without electricity because they will still think it is valuable enough to steal. They will steal everything in the stores and warehouses so all 'goods' will be gone within a month (if that long) followed by destruction of anything they can find before dying off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowhand View Post
Smart folks tend to find a way to survive about anything, would suspect, enough docs or otherwise smart folks will figure out a way to handle most everything.

An Emp hits, people starve, starving people look for food, not labs and hardware, labs and hardware only need people to operate, suspect Huey you'd be fine once survivors get stuff back up and running.

Pack away enough to handle the period in the middle, from when it occurs to when people, survivors, pick up the pieces.

Warehouses full of "goods" and no people around, or few, folks would not need to make new stuff for a long time, with 90% of population gone.
Old May 08, 2019, 18:59   #1013
C2A1
Registered

Done by a Canadian, so they tend to be "soft" in many cases but I think he discusses many issues that will happen in a grid down situation. One point he makes is that food will be gone before the ammo. Given the arms race he is probably right. As was brought out in One Second After the med problem will be a real issue.
As many have discussed here, you have to get thru that first die off and it will be a rough one. I don't think there is anything new here but he does lay it all out in a logical order and it sometimes good to review things.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6T61tG90As
Old May 12, 2019, 10:40   #1014
C2A1
Registered

Interesting that there are a group of sheriff depts beginning to chime into the taskforce and attending weekly updates. In the last meeting the EPA weighted in and said to make sure folks involved got safe water instructions. There is an "underground" of folks, who aren't buying in and going there own way. There is a wind blowing.
https://www.facebook.com/culpepershe...5784?__tn__=-R
Old May 12, 2019, 12:06   #1015
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Interesting that there are a group of sheriff depts beginning to chime into the taskforce and attending weekly updates. In the last meeting the EPA weighted in and said to make sure folks involved got safe water instructions. There is an "underground" of folks, who aren't buying in and going there own way. There is a wind blowing.
https://www.facebook.com/culpepershe...5784?__tn__=-R
Many folks are smart enough, to know that the Feds can just handle one problem area and there is no hope if the whole country is hit.

Local sheriffs will either handle the "load" or no one else will in local governments.

Old May 12, 2019, 12:53   #1016
Gary Harwell
Becoming Embittered
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 39460
If it's grid gone, no one is handling the load except yourself and the people in your immediate vicinity of 1-5 miles that you might know and trust. Help ain't coming if it's grid down. Sheriffs will be taking care of their own by day 3, about walking distance to home from anywhere in a big county. They may then form a nidus for rebuilding or re-organizing. Rural sheriff's I would trust for the most part. City"sheriffs", not so much.
Gary Harwell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2019, 17:02   #1017
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Harwell View Post
If it's grid gone, no one is handling the load except yourself and the people in your immediate vicinity of 1-5 miles that you might know and trust. Help ain't coming if it's grid down. Sheriffs will be taking care of their own by day 3, about walking distance to home from anywhere in a big county. They may then form a nidus for rebuilding or re-organizing. Rural sheriff's I would trust for the most part. City"sheriffs", not so much.
Agree fully.
We have upwards of 60 of so heading here to the homestead, if all get here, that's always the question.
Today, we think in terms of travel at 600mph, or 75 mph.
When the power stops, the fuel quickly runs dry, and travel reverts back to, 3/4 mph, with a 20/22 miles per day, if in good shape.
Most folks were skinny back in the horse and buggy days.
Without horses, folks would be real skinny, real quick, in a grid down situation.
All them chubby little gals today,,,, really would look like Sophia inside six months.

Old May 16, 2019, 03:14   #1018
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowhand View Post

The two doctors that will be coming to my house practice is 2.5 miles away. They have a full LabCorp blood testing location in their multipractice building plus the keys to key equipment from five different specialty practices. There will be one or two runs bringing key equipment from their building to the Ponderosa if time and safe enough travel allows.

"With 90% of population gone" or even 30% to 60% and these folk hoarding gold and silver to use as a monetary system have wasted their money. Will be so much gold and silver in jewelry boxes and china cabinets of the dead that as gather buy survivors will be such a glut it will be of little to no value. It's the food, medical and ammunition hoards that will have maximum value.

Mentioned in earlier post had the new Georgia Power Surge Arrest system installed on house. In addition have a panel mount surge protector on main power panel that is in its own enclosure and attaches to two breaker slots in panel. If it takes an impulse it dies and sacrifices itself to protect anything downstream. GA Power says there are no conflicts between their system and mine so both running is double the protection. Pay $9.99 month for the Surge Defender system with $50,000 warranty on motors and control boards of HVAC, washer/dryer, kitchen equipment and more.

Have a spare whole house module ready to pop in if mine takes a hit. GA Powers Surge Defender replaces the meter and has a red LED on side. Meter reader is supposed to inspect but advised I look at it once a week as if light is out means the Surge Defender sacrificed itself protecting the house at the service entrance. Add the halo ground system along with UPC's on all sensitive electronics such as television, stereo, BiPap ASV and more. Ham radio and most perimeter security equipment runs off the battery stacks and is isolated from grid except when lazy and charge batteries from grid instead of generator(s) or put solar/wind/hydro hoard in service.

Late Friday into Saturday and early Sunday we had thunder boomers roll through the hood off and on. Took out trees at neighbors homes either side of me and also got in their homes. I removed every pine tree from property in first five years lived here. Also some large poplars and one of the pecan trees have been sacrificed but less towers to the sky to bridge the gap to charged ions in atmosphere. GA Power engineer that came out with a team who tested my equipment after installer got odd readings said never seen a home as well grounded and protected from surges, etc. Even metal roof is tied to our ground.

When those charged ions are looking for a place to go our entire structure is all as close to ground potential as possible that homes either side, across the street or tall trees across property lines are most likely going to take the impulse. If grid is hit have devices at meter and panel to stop an impulse along with dozens of UPC's on equipment. Generators are disconnected from house and grid except when need and make the final attachment as fire them up. Last weekends storms damaged equipment in three homes within site of mine including immediate neighbors on either side. We chugged along without any damage.

Know can't stop a real impulse or "bolt out of the blue" but making as many as possible more likely targets lessens likelyhood we take the brunt locally. Removing the tall old growth pine trees was a big help. Save as many systems as can, have back ups and/or parts for as much as can, keep improving system and when that EMP hits will have less to repair, items in Faraday Caged rooms should go unhurt and major home systems can start replacing capacitors, control boards and other parts in Faraday storage.

Why I took my solar down and have stored as one less antenna to bring wrath into our emergency backup systems. Same with wind generators. Ground, ground, ground. Get your entire property to same potential and harder for those charged particles to find you looking for ground. Keep your systems protected for when real need occurs even if adds a step to going on generator. Faraday room stuffed with parts and a couple extra small pairable inverter generators will help ensure your able to power critical systems when most others are in the dark. If possible soon as possible following event horizon will hit the two closest strip centers and take their HVAC condensers and any other chunks that might find parts which survived for use before the zombies get out and moving in force so can listen to perimeter alarms and sit over rifles in hardened hides to create our stand off distance.

Not a Mt Weather quality facility but done all we can over 30 years with half our house under ground are fairly resiliant. When realize 99.99% have done nothing to protect their homes from EMP, lightning and such; especially well to do in expensive homes have to wonder why more don't read the free FEMA resources telling American citizens it's coming and to prepare now then take basic actions to protect what have along with systems to be used post emergency. I have two radio shacks at home and one sits totally disconnected so if the main shack gets whacked just move the antenna feeds and connect to power.
Old May 16, 2019, 08:09   #1019
John A
Registered

FALaholic #: 73828
Nothing wrong with redundancy. I do have a few backup pieces that is never plugged into anything and in constant storage.

I also have a few pieces of electronic equipment at a different location than my house as backups.

In the grand scheme of things of a solar burst, the other location is not going to be any better protected than it is here. Less than 5 miles away as the crow flies, will still likely be in the path of a solar burst if one were to happen.

But, there are no grid tied power or water lines or anything else at the other place. So, it's as neutral as Earth is in that area and why I chose to store a few things there.
John A is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2019, 17:43   #1020
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Luckily around here have really good soil where nine out of ten of my copper platedon top of galvanized ground rods all drive fully in with top stopping about six inches below ground level. One out 9f the ten will hit something solid between four and eight feet that even my big Hilt impact driver for ground rods just gives up on and if it stops don't waste time with sledge hammer rod has bottomed out. Just cut it off six inches below ground level and move to next. Never closer than six feet but usually try not to have rods even inside of eight feet from each other or ground eddies will cause impulse to jump from rod to rod instead of shunting toward earth.

Only around towers, service entrances, phone lines, ham radio surge suppressor boxes and such do I even let them get in that close to eight foot range as like three rods for each actual device or entrance of equipment or signal wire. I have surge arrestor on my phone line where enters house (blew mind of crew that MA Bell sent to bury my phone line as requested it run underground) along with cable at last box before enters structure and so forth. If phones or cable quits have to check surge protectors before call tech support. Of course the six to eight inch trench that goes from rod to rod with double run of #2 grounding copper adds work and some coupling with earth.

At far corners use two piece ten foot rods that after drive first ten feet, connect the second rod and keep driving. Have a few that make the full twenty feet and about one in four of these will bottom out on bedrock before get all twenty feet driven. Twelve to sixteen feet seem to be a common stopping point around my house if one binds up. The longer rods and "field rods" usually space them about sixteen to twenty feet apart. At work had 84 ground rods last time totalled and at home have 24 now if remember correctly. All surge protectors, meter bases and service entrances for anything are tied to the massive rod fields with flat straps.

When did this at work realized range on my radios went up huge amount and the background noise or "noise floor" of background static went way down. Was hearing stations others around me with bigger towers and antennas could not even with their contest rigs. Discovered another guy in a club was a charter founding member had a similar ground system but his was installed by a cellular tower company and had most of his entire 1.5 acre lot covered with a copper ground Matt and appropriate amount of soil before sod went down when house was built. Has to be nice to have money to budget the ground mat system a major cell tower or mountain top antenna farm would have.

Many times if chatting around on VHF repeaters as working HF he and I will be only people in range of repeater that hear some DX stations. Now that house is becoming primary place do my radio play sure my ground system that started as a halo will become a grid. Everywhere can find a piece of rebar sticking out of edge of basement slab at home or floor at work bond the rear of floor to the ground grids. Have my metal roofs bonded to electrical/earth ground as well along with steel door jambs or anything think getting to ground potential will add advantage.

Bet I have enough money invested in Alpha/Delta surge protectors and spare tubes to buy a good work truck. Nothing will stop the "out of the blue" direct hit of a lightning bolt or major planned EMP attack if near the epicenter but if it's set off over Midwest may have enough stand off range to survive and at least equipment not attached or in Faraday Cage rooms to survive. It's odd to see how adding a few rods changes my life. It can cause me to have to adjust sensitivity of seismic sensors that may be near the new rods and why don't want to extend system too far at house.

Need to know if decide to swap electric fence chargers at fence line over to 14,000 volt 3.5 amp neon transformers fence is not going to cause issues with perimeter sensors or radios. Have always wondered how first wave of zombies would react when buddy touched a wire expecting cattle fence charger and getting 17,500 volts at 3.5 amps that will not pop a GFI or fuse but keep dumping basically line voltage at amps instead of milliamps. My guess is its going to bust hand open like being hit with shotgun blast and maybe even bust their eyeballs. Will be a heart stopper for sure. Their are countermeasures to the high voltage fence if find all the wires before wires find zombies.

Also have to remember the chain link fence, the electric fencing and such are big nets waiting to grab an impulse and feed it to me if not planned correctly. I warned our local EMA director had an issue with way fence controls were installed and one tower groumded. Called the county electrician who said I was crazy and no way could they do what I suggested as would feed any impulse to fence or tree near it in buildimg. Following spring a lighting bolt hit the fence surrounding the EMA/911 Center followed path I had said then took their phones and radios down for a half hour. Meanwhile neighboring county deputy spotted a tornado racing toward a town just in edge of our county and their EMA/911 could not contact ours. We picked up the warning from their ARES spotters into our net, we only had one man in EMA and our stuff had been isolated from the issue, who immediately dropped his microphone, ran from EMA side of building to 911 side and told them a tornado was on direct path with one of our smaller municipalities so they pushed the button on that towns tornado siren as even NWS had not seen due to curvature of earth and townspeople rushed for cover with about three minutes warning before the tornado came right through their town.

EMA director and 911 director were both livid. Called in two independent companies to examine what caused the issue and both said exactly what report I had submitted months before said. After got their reports gave both my report and their electricians reports and asked if my recommendations would have stopped impulse from entering building to which both said yes, asked what engineering school did I attend and we're suprised when met a long haired hillbilly in overalls. The tower company tried to hire me. County hired a new electrician and.asked me if wanted to look at some other county facilities to which I suggested they contract to companies they hired to confirm I had been right as I was not licensed or insured at time to do what they wanted.

The electric gate controller was not attached to a ground rod then tied to building electrical system ground even though pulled it's commands from buildimg. That one little fence control wire brought the strike into the same box the phone system and radios were powered from so when bolt hit fence, followed through gate, control wire and snapped the main breakers in that box. One of our other ARES guys was trying to get in door because gate was fried and while he waited I told him which box to check. He reset mains which brought 911 phones and radios back up. We got some freaking huge grants for emcomm over the next two years. Totalled over $50,000 in new ham radio toys to bring us into the edge or the future when digital emcomm was just an experiment.

When building a fence, installing outdoor lighting or video cameras have to think. If any part of system get an impulse where will it go and how to stop it from eating anything critical. My fences, seismic sensors and cameras are a major issue have to constantly fret over how they may let impulse get into home. Why like my new radar/LIDAR system but it's tied to the seismic sensors so a ground strike has to be considered before it feeds from a seismic sensor into one of my new very expensive LIDAR units. Integrating the seismic, radar and LIDAR in manner if one takes a jolt it's stopped before back feeds into the rest plus cameras at corner of fences is a monumental task when consider implications of EMP or lighting bolt but I fret over it constantly and yet to loose anything but like the new Surge Arrest, always upgrading systems,
Old May 17, 2019, 10:17   #1021
Bawana jim
Registered

FALaholic #: 17482
Looks like we have studied emp enough to make a microwave weapon.

"The U.S. Air Force has deployed at least 20 missiles that could zap the military electronics of North Korea or Iran with high-power microwaves, rendering their military capabilities virtually useless without causing any fatalities, DailyMail.com has learned exclusively.

Known as the Counter-Electronics High Power Microwave Advanced Missile Project (CHAMP), the missiles were built by Boeing's Phantom Works for the U.S. Air Force Research Laboratory and tested successfully in 2012. They have not been operational until now."

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/3750032/posts
Bawana jim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:15   #1022
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Thus increases their need for a first strike. Luckily we share enough military communications bases with the U.K. and Australia our off shore military communications should go on fairly uninterrupted. Throw in Hiwaii and Japan to cover our Pacific rim communications I really only see an EMP attack over U.S. soil as a short term attempt to slow our military production capabilities though right now with the little U.S./China tariff squabble could see China using North Korea as a scape goat to unlock the need for us to let Chinese goods flow in without any tariffs for some time. Long as we can use hard lines laid on ocean floor from Pentagon to any number of NATO countries doubt our naval and land forces deployed around the world would notice much of an issue if an EMP was launched over Midwest of U.S. mainland.