The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The FN Files

Notices

Old January 08, 2013, 22:36   #51
KVSmith
Registered

FALaholic #: 65989
Test mag

I received my test mag today. I just got home to try it out as all the FALs stayed home today, only the M4 got to come with me. It's dark and kinda wet outside so no chance to shoot tonight. The mag is parked and looks good. Body appears identical to my other DSA mags. I will test it with 3 Coonan R1 builds, 1 Entreprise type1, 1 DSA G1, 2 DSA type 2's, 1 DSA type 1 (newer in house receiver), and my FN G-series lightweight. I tested it for fit in all rifles. The mag inserted with ease into every rifle but the G1. The ejector in the G1 is protruding very slightly in front of the ejector block. It doesn't give me any trouble with any of the other mags I have, which are a mix of Steyr, FN, Israeli, and DSA. I then checked whether the mag would activate the bolt hold open when I manually retracted the bolt. Only on the Entreprise and one of the Type 2 DSA's did the bolt lock back. All of the other rifles the BHO became tough to engage or disengage manually with the test magazine inserted. When the test magazine was removed or another mag was inserted all BHO's operated properly. I haven't had enough time to study the cause of the BHO's binding, but on initial visual inspection I cannot see any interference from the test mag. I'm open to all suggestions. Anyway, that is all for now. Maybe I will get to shoot tomorrow.
KVSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 09, 2013, 17:06   #52
Jpanzer
Registered

FALaholic #: 53708
Guys, I received a test mag and fully intended to participate, but due to a serious illness in my family I cannot get to the range for a while.
I am literally caring for a ill elderly parent 24/7, so until things stabilize here any mag testing or range trips are on hold for me...
Jpanzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 09, 2013, 17:21   #53
def90
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 50609
I don't know if this is the right place for this but I just went through 2 all metal new DSA mags (not part of the mags tested in this release) with my Imbel build. FN mags worked perfectly, DSAs would FTF every couple rounds and the first round seemed to be a real bitch to get started.

What I did.. 1. in the circled areas I rounded out the radius of the corners, they seemed much sharper than my FN mags. 2. I took a file and straigtened and matched the angles of my FN mags along the edges marked with lines. 3. I took emery cloth and went over all of the inside edges around the entire feed end of the mag as the metal was much sharper and almost had a lip on the inside edge.

Took them back to the range and they now seem to work fine.

Last edited by def90; January 10, 2013 at 14:10.
def90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 09, 2013, 17:23   #54
chrsdwns
Registered

FALaholic #: 9846
That explains a lot. Great trouble shooting

"There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as a result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved."
~~Ludwig Von Mises

...when poets buy guns, tourist season is over................Walter R. Mead.
chrsdwns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 09, 2013, 17:47   #55
TheRussian
NOT FPSRussia
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 67648
Got my mag in today, will test this weekend!
“At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child — miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.”
TheRussian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 09, 2013, 17:47   #56
LKY_13
The Swiss Guy
Contributor

FALaholic #: 41000
Nicely done Def.

I seem to have missed getting one shipped my way, unfortunately.
Old January 09, 2013, 19:46   #57
MistWolf
Registered

FALaholic #: 7435
I got my test mag this weekend. I had it sent to my sister's house two hours down the road and was finally able to pick it up.

I'll look it over & see how it looks. I won't be able to test it because my rifle is currently in another state.

I'd like to thank R1 for making this possible. I promise I'll get out & test it as soon as I can
Old January 10, 2013, 01:05   #58
Fang
Registered

FALaholic #: 53310
I'd like to try one of these mags out. I have a DSA StG-58 that enjoys mashing the tips of bullets while feeding, so it would be interesting to see if they fare any better with the new follower.

aezcur, I have a membership at the rifle range in Snoqualmie. I'd be happy to host you if you brought that mag along.
Fang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 10, 2013, 01:17   #59
aezcur
El Argentino
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 49232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fang View Post
I'd like to try one of these mags out. I have a DSA StG-58 that enjoys mashing the tips of bullets while feeding, so it would be interesting to see if they fare any better with the new follower.

aezcur, I have a membership at the rifle range in Snoqualmie. I'd be happy to host you if you brought that mag along.
Hi Fang,

That may work...I'm expecting to receive a new mag spring and a follower from R1shooter so I can complete the test and compare with the mods I did on the follower. I was planning to go out to the shooting range this week end also with another Filer (Fiorina) who got his LS so we can 'test fire' his build. . This mag was already promised to be shipped to another Filer on this thread but if we can test it together that will work.
Old January 10, 2013, 20:11   #60
KVSmith
Registered

FALaholic #: 65989
Follow up on Test Mag

I re-read this thread after making my initial post the other night. After seeing R1's post about flipping the spring around, I disassembled and did just that. Amazing! All my issues with it not engaging the BHO disappeared. It worked perfectly in all my rifles when I hand cycled them.

The weather finally cleared up today and I was able to get in a little shooting time.

I began with the test mag loaded with 20 rounds of PPU soft points. I thought if anything would give me trouble, this combo surely would. I inserted the mag in my DSA Para with the bolt closed. (I built this Para using a new DSA in house manufactured receiver, DSA Para lower, DSA Para stock, DSA BC, Steyr bolt, and 16in. Argentine chrome lined barrel.) I chambered a round and began to fire. All 20 rnds went of without a hitch. The BHO engaged properly as soon as the mag was empty. I then switched to Portuguese surplus, 82 headstamp. Reloaded mag and fired again. Flawless function. I then proceeded to fire another 40 rnds through 3 more rifles, the 2 DSA type 2's ( both built off Rhodie kits with new Argy NBC BBL's), and the FN G series. All ammo was the Port surplus. Perfect function in all rifles.

After my initial impression I was a little disappointed, but since reversing thespring, I am very pleased with this mag so far. 160 rnds to date in 4rifles and no failures. I still need to test it in the Coonans and the Entreprise. I will update when I get the chance, but with going to SHOT next week, it may be a little while.

I know everyone likes pics so here are the test rifles for today.

KVSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2013, 17:51   #61
TheRussian
NOT FPSRussia
Bronze Contributor

Finally got to go shoot, and back at a private 140 acre farm I have been waiting on for hunting season to finish.
Mag is very nicely parked, and loaded up just fine.

Inserted just fine, and loaded the first round perfectly!
In fact it loaded and cycled every one perfectly until I got to about 4-5 rounds left, and then

I put about 100 rounds through it, and every single time when it got to the 4-5 left it would misfeed.
I will try polishing the lips as Def90 was kind enough to share his experiences, and try again this weekend.
BTW 100 yards (not exact, but paced off)
Not bad for someone with Glasses and iron sights, firing as fast as I could re-aim.One 20 round mag
“At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child — miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.”
Old January 13, 2013, 19:06   #62
TheRussian
NOT FPSRussia
Bronze Contributor

Another observation, the follower tends to stick in the last bit of its travel.
I may try a squirt of clp. Just working the follower up and down in the last bit of travel by hand I can feel it sticking sometimes.
I will try the follower and the spring in a different mag body, and examine this one to see if there is a burr or something in the last inch or so of travel.
Old January 13, 2013, 19:17   #63
G3isMe
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 6530
I received my test mag a couple weeks ago but I am waiting on my range membership to go through. I will report on the magazine's performance as soon as I can get to the range. I expect to be able to get access next week.

Old January 13, 2013, 20:44   #64
R1shooter
Registered

FALaholic #: 67769
Thanks for your efforts , I have noticed the parked mags can be sticky, the slightly beefier spring may help, will pop one out to you.
R1shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2013, 21:46   #65
TheRussian
NOT FPSRussia
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1shooter View Post
Thanks for your efforts , I have noticed the parked mags can be sticky, the slightly beefier spring may help, will pop one out to you.
Thanks, until it got to that point it worked very well.
Old January 13, 2013, 22:02   #66
aezcur
El Argentino
Gold Contributor

I was able to continue with the testing today (using the follower with my modification and a new follower+spring that R1shooter sent me). It worked well with my modification for 30 rounds and then I replaced the follower+spring with the new one (that it came with the mod that I suggested! ) and it worked well without a hiccup for another 50 rounds. I think it is good to go. I'll send this mag for continue testing to Sijones as previously arranged. I'll ship it during the week.

R1shooter: Thanks a lot for the chance to 'play' with these mags and also for listening to us with patience. As soon as the tests are considered completed let us know when the latest GEN of DSA FAL mags are available (I'm going to get 10~15).
Old January 14, 2013, 07:54   #67
hardass
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 21749
aezcur, thats good to hear,

Let's keep these things moving. From what I've been reading it's running about 50/50 from GTG to some small fixes. I am interested in getting a few of the new ones myself. Let's see if we can get all the bugs out.

Nothing better then real world testing with a different rifles and different climates/environments that could affect function.

Remember to keep the rd count updated
hardass is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 14, 2013, 14:44   #68
Jpanzer
Registered

FALaholic #: 53708
FWIW I encountered the same issue as Aezcur with the small protruding tab at the front of the follower. As noted it, seems to catch or bind with the beak of the catch on the front of the mag. After filing it down some it no longer binds and seems operational.

Given my circumstances currently thats all I'm able to do for now...

Last edited by Jpanzer; January 14, 2013 at 14:49.
Jpanzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14, 2013, 15:27   #69
LKY_13
The Swiss Guy
Contributor

FALaholic #: 41000
Does anyone have an extra DSA enclosure?? Unfortunately, I got missed in the
initial shipping (no worries) and there are no mags left. R1 is shipping me the
spring and follower to test, but would prefer to also test them in a DSA
enclosure. If anyone has an extra DSA partial mag they can let me use.
I would be more than willing to pay shipping both ways. Or, outright purchase
the mag. Ether way. Thanks in advance!

Old January 19, 2013, 13:59   #70
TheRussian
NOT FPSRussia
Bronze Contributor

I received the additional spring and follower, it has one more coil on the spring.
I have much confidence this will function perfectly, it moves the follower with emphasis, and there is no binding in its travel as before in the last bit of its travel.
Should be able to shoot tomorrow, and report in, but I have confidence this will be right on!
Damn nice mag btw
Old January 19, 2013, 14:09   #71
StG58Freak
banned
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 21043
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRussian View Post
Another observation, the follower tends to stick in the last bit of its travel.
I may try a squirt of clp. Just working the follower up and down in the last bit of travel by hand I can feel it sticking sometimes.
I will try the follower and the spring in a different mag body, and examine this one to see if there is a burr or something in the last inch or so of travel.
Try some dry moly spray on the mag spring and inside the mag body.

I use MolyKote 321 but i get it free. It's expensive if you have to buy it but there is cheaper brands. IIRC Liquid Wrench makes a spray can of dry moly.
StG58Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19, 2013, 14:23   #72
TheRussian
NOT FPSRussia
Bronze Contributor

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by StG58Freak View Post
Try some dry moly spray on the mag spring and inside the mag body.

I use MolyKote 321 but i get it free. It's expensive if you have to buy it but there is cheaper brands. IIRC Liquid Wrench makes a spray can of dry moly.
Thanks for the suggestion.
For testing purposes, I want to do the following:
*With no other change but the stronger spring, fire and see if that alone fixes the non-loading of the last few rounds.
* If it does ok on first mag, repeat 3-4 more times to verify issue resolved.
*Once issue verified resolved (which I have a strong feeling it will be) then I have some dry moly lube I will squirt inside the mag body and see how it "feels" I know this is subjective, but the way the mags fed rounds before the last 5 "felt" great compared to regular surplus mags. I suck at communication, and wish I could describe it better, but perhaps smoother feeding? I dunno like I said I suck at communicating feelings, lol
*cannot wait to shoot again
Old January 19, 2013, 15:49   #73
Sijones
Registered

FALaholic #: 67486
Just got the magazine with extra spring and follower from Azecur. On way to range with multiple types of ammo to include some hunting rounds. See how it holds up.
Sijones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 20, 2013, 11:18   #74
Sijones
Registered

Tested the prototype magazine that Azecur so kindly shipped to me today.

The test rifles are an early STG58 from DSA (12xxx) that recently had a complete DSA 16 inch upper installed by Randy Kline along with a repark and general going over. All new DSA furniture as well. Basically an all new gun save the receiver and trigger group. It has had approximately 350 rounds of Magtec through it since the makeover and has been flawless in operation and sub 2.5 accurate. Likely will do better when I find ammo that it really likes. The second rifle is a very early Century L1A1 built on an Argentine receiver that has been shortened to 16 inches, threaded for FH, gas opened up and BHO restored by Vanden Berg. It had some initial problems with the BHO being a tad long, which were rectified by Ed quickly. It has been flawlessly reliable since his ministrations for some 400 rounds at the beginning of the magazine test.

Test ammo assembled in lots of 20 rounds consisted of SA Surp, American Eagle (many years old), Hornady TAP, Remington Soft Point hunting ammo, and the Magtec that both rifles digest perfectly. They both like the Remmie soft points and the SA as well.

The test magazine is finished nicely and seems to be of sound construction. Compares favorably with my "genuine" magazines.

DSA Carbine was first up with 10 rounds of the Magtec. As a matter of habit every magazine I load of any type in any firearm I rap the back on the bench to insure the rounds are all the way to the back of the magazine. Upon insertion into the rifle with bolt locked to the rear, the top round jumped out of the magazine and was found adrift in the chamber. Removing the loose round while leaving the magazine in place, I was then able to chamber a round by BHO activation and fire the remainder of the magazine with no issues through the bolt locking back on the empty mag. I was able to repeat this phenomenon with the SA and the Remmie. Reducing the round count to anything less than 8 prevented the lost round from taking place.

Other than these insertion malfunctions, the magazine fed reliably and locked open the BHO and ejected flawlessly.

Moving on to the L1A1, still in lots of ten , ( I was splitting ammo 50-50 and seldom ever load more than 10 rounds anyway no matter what I am shooting ), the insertion of the mag was uneventful. Activation of the bolt release produced normal feeding and this continued with the Century rifle whether feeding from the right or left side of the mag throughout the duration of the test (total of 80 rounds ).

The mag continued to feed and function perfectly through 40 rounds of 4 different ammo types. The BHO failed to activate at any time. Additionally, the magazine would not eject from the rifle without a solid karate chop each and every time. Sometimes had to hit it quite firmly to remove it from the rifle.

Both rifles were function checked with genuine magazines and the remainder of my range blasting in celebration of National Gun Appreciation day was accomplished with 100 % functioning magazines.

As Falers we are used to seeing our rifles of choice in all their various iterations. I was really preening though when two of the range officers walked up to admire my two short barreled big bore thumpers. They see thousands of nice rifles in the course of their duties. Seeing them drool a bit was gratifying.

Hot Wells Shooting Range here in Houston was PACKED yesterday. I actually had to wait to get a fairly close parking space to lug all the gear for the test ( have Pelican SOPMOD type case that adds to the weight issues ). People were lined up to pay inside. The line outside to shoot on the pistol range was at times a dozen or more people deep. I've been going there for years and never have seen crowds like this.

BTW if any Houstonians are interested next Saturday is the Third Annual Hot Wells Venison Chili Cook Off. I am cooking on a team and should have team name selected and will post if anyone wants to stop by. Will bring the DSA mag if anyone wants to try it although no one is allowed on the range after beer which I am certain will be abundantly present. PM me if interested in trying the mag or just want to try some Chili and chew the fat about FALS or shooting in general.

Last edited by Sijones; January 20, 2013 at 11:47.
Old January 20, 2013, 11:53   #75
Sijones
Registered

PS. If there are no Houston Falers that respond concerning the DSA proto mag by say Wednesday I will gladly ship it to anyone who is interested. This specific mag tested before by Hardass and Azecur has certainly had rather checkered performance. Later today when I do the cleanup from yesterday's shooting will closely examine the mag against my Surp mags and the pictures made by others of it to see if there has been any deformation in the magazine lips or what have you.
Old January 20, 2013, 15:57   #76
TheRussian
NOT FPSRussia
Bronze Contributor

Ok range report today.
Installed new spring and follower, 20 rounds Radway.
Same jam at the last 5-6.
Inserted old surplus mag w Radway, same gas setting, 20 rounds no prob.

Lubed inside of prototype mag with rag wiped with clp.
Pushed follower up and down, felt good.
Still has the same issue when down to last few rounds.
Tried with Magtech ammo, Radway and Port surplus.
All same issue.

Shot about 300 rounds today testing. I cannot resolve repeated issue of not feeding last 5-6 rounds. Any ideas?
On another note I function tested DSA 30 round mags, and they worked flawlessly from beginning to end.

Meant to take some pics of 75 yard iron sight shooting, dammit I had some groups that were very very nice, with holes touching each other
Old January 20, 2013, 21:03   #77
G3isMe
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Due to the attitude of R1shooter and the obvious fact that he could really give a shit less about what we think, I will be returning the new DSA which was sent to me for review. The following post is from a thread in the review section initiated by LaConservationist. I posted concern about the use of inch ejector blocks in metric receivers and as well as the magazine review.
G3isMe

Quote:
The ejector block is cosmetic and if customer chooses he can change it. Mag test was not sales, it was great way to get input, if you haven't noticed not every report would generate sales, do you really think I care about the sale of magazines?
Emphasis added on R1shooter's quote was by myself. First off, my apologies for saying you were a $#@% in my reply to LaC, as I usually don't resort to name calling. However, your response directly to me was less than professional coming from someone with some sort of "professional" ties to DSA. Concerning the magazines, ahhh, yes, I think you do care about the sale of magazines. Well at least I did until you made that comment. This is just the condescending attitude that you have brought forth in your comments and replies to members on this board which have been addressed in numerous threads. Why would you send these out for review if you didn't "care about the sales of magazines?" I am sure the others reviewing these magazines would be enlightened to be told the same. Makes no sense to me................

Old January 20, 2013, 21:14   #78
R1shooter
Registered

It was never about selling magazines, it is a concept for an upgrade and about including members in a test that may or may not benefit us in the future, I was warned but I chose to ignore those warnings , I still believe the silent majority approve of interactive testing, even if it may be good for the company doing it. Thanks to those who helped, thank you, it meant a lot, those who take sides and are part of the problem I guess no hard feelings.
Old January 20, 2013, 21:16   #79
R1shooter
Registered

I really don't care about selling magazines, Obama took care of that.
Old January 20, 2013, 21:50   #80
TheRussian
NOT FPSRussia
Bronze Contributor

I guess what I will try next is putting the innards in a DSA 20 round mag I have had for sev months, and see if the mag body itself is the issue.
I should have already done that.
Old January 20, 2013, 22:21   #81
G3isMe
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
It was never about selling magazines, it is a concept for an upgrade and about including members in a test that may or may not benefit us in the future, I was warned but I chose to ignore those warnings , I still believe the silent majority approve of interactive testing, even if it may be good for the company doing it. Thanks to those who helped, thank you, it meant a lot, those who take sides and are part of the problem I guess no hard feelings.
Do not insinuate that I am part of the problem. I had full intentions of testing your mag and sending it to the next guy for their testing as well; until you chose to be condescending. I, like all of the others here, have a choice in products. You seem to be missing the point, it is not about choosing sides, it is about treatment of customers. After those last posts by yourself I found there was no sense in me trying to assist you in product review. With that and out of respect for this being your thread, this will be my last post on your thread regarding my views. I had looked forward to reviewing your mag but at this point I have chosen not to. Best of luck in its development.

Old January 21, 2013, 00:22   #82
chrsdwns
Registered

Thanks for the work on the mags, R1shooter. It's a great idea that should be followed up on.

I'd would like to try one of the round robin test mags with SCAR internals when one becomes available. Would be happy to sign NDA/PIA before hand if necessary.

FWIW, have had no problem with standard DSA 30 rd and latest generation of 20 rd mags in any FAL so far using Aussie and DAG ammo.

"There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as a result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved."
~~Ludwig Von Mises

Old January 29, 2013, 01:08   #83
aezcur
El Argentino
Gold Contributor

Any updates from the other testers?
Old January 29, 2013, 06:51   #84
tywest
Registered

FALaholic #: 66761
Russian,

If possible id like to check out that mag your having problems feeding with when your done with it. LMK

JT
tywest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29, 2013, 07:37   #85
TheRussian
NOT FPSRussia
Bronze Contributor

Absolutely TyWest. I wasnt able to do any more testing this past weekend as I was building my argy, but I do want to test it again this weekend in my Argy and see if it does differently. Will be happy to put you next in line for testing
Old January 29, 2013, 07:40   #86
Sijones
Registered

Have been too busy to do anymore testing, and pretty clear that my test mag does not like either of my rifles. Hardass has requested the mag for testing by some friends. Will be sending out this week.
Old January 29, 2013, 09:27   #87
tywest
Registered

FALaholic #: 66761
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRussian View Post
Absolutely TyWest. I wasnt able to do any more testing this past weekend as I was building my argy, but I do want to test it again this weekend in my Argy and see if it does differently. Will be happy to put you next in line for testing
thanks.....i wanna do some measurements. Ive heard lots of people complain about iffy operating DSA mags. so much so that I at this time wouldnt consider buying any.....however......if there is a guarantee to function 100% and everything specs up to "surplus" mags then Id have no issues.
I just wanna check out an iffy functioning mag to see whats up.....its to satisfy my own curiosity R1shooter.

Are these mag bodies stamped, formed, welded? ive never even held a dsa mag so forgive me. What are they made out of? what type of spring steel?
tywest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29, 2013, 09:47   #88
chrsdwns
Registered

If anyone is finished with their testing of one of these mags, I would very definitely like to test one out.

All of my stock DSA mags work fine the way they are, but I would like to see how the new SCAR springs and followers work.

W

~~Ludwig Von Mises

Last edited by chrsdwns; January 29, 2013 at 09:52.
Old January 29, 2013, 09:51   #89
TheRussian
NOT FPSRussia
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tywest View Post
thanks.....i wanna do some measurements. Ive heard lots of people complain about iffy operating DSA mags. so much so that I at this time wouldnt consider buying any.....however......if there is a guarantee to function 100% and everything specs up to "surplus" mags then Id have no issues.
I just wanna check out an iffy functioning mag to see whats up.....its to satisfy my own curiosity R1shooter.

Are these mag bodies stamped, formed, welded? ive never even held a dsa mag so forgive me. What are they made out of? what type of spring steel?
Whats funny is my original 30 round DSA mags have always worked perfectly. My original DSA mag did after I smoothed the edges a bit, this one cycles/loads better than any mag yet (how can I properly describe how it feels, I suck at comms) until it gets to last few.
I will try it in my Argy, if it does the same thing I will pull the spring and follower and try in in a good Steyr mag, then the orig DSA mag I have.
Old January 29, 2013, 12:42   #90
Sijones
Registered

Finally got around to more closely examining the DSA magazine. Kept waiting for any FALERS in Houston to request to test. Did not happen. Got request from from Hardass to send it back his way.

Anyway: on closer inspection of the test magazine it is clear that the two halves of the magazine lips are not symmetrical. Viewed from the top the right side of the mag looks very similar to my various surplus mags. The left side however is noticeably different than the right, as well as being clearly different than the "factory" magazines. The factory magazines seem to be mirror images in terms of the feed lips. Not so, the DSA.

It does not appear to have been damaged or deformed in anyway. Seems to have been manufactured asymmetrically. During testing in the DSA carbine, with 10 rounds or more in the magazine with the left side round being first, that is when on several occasions the round was released by the magazine prior to releasing the bolt carrier.

Laying the mag on its left side on a flat surface, I was able to "rock" the magazine by pushing down on the right front corner. Checking against my factory magazines, no rock. I also noted that there is a very slightly larger "opening" between the feed lips that is visibly apparent between the front and back of the test mag when compared to the front and back "opening" of the factory mags.

Thinking out loud, DSA having straight up bought Steyr's equipment and machinery, drawings, etc, I would have thought that the DSA magazine body at least would be a perfect replica of the factory mag. That does not appear to be the case.

Forwarding the mag back to Hardass for further testing.
Old January 30, 2013, 23:17   #91
R1shooter
Registered

Good observations and many good points. The point of the test was to get out the springs and plastic followers for comments and testing, I put them in current production mags and got some great feedback, most positive and one or two issues, on the whole thoughtful and honest reviews. The mods were done to the mould and we now have 3 pack upgrade kits available that will work with other mags like FN and steyr so another choice is available and I am sure someone here will improve on it by filing and tweaking it even further, thanks for your help and I hope to do interactive testing again.
Old January 30, 2013, 23:26   #92
El Mac
Registered

FALaholic #: 39512
Quote:
Good observations and many good points. The point of the test was to get out the springs and plastic followers for comments and testing, I put them in current production mags and got some great feedback, most positive and one or two issues, on the whole thoughtful and honest reviews. The mods were done to the mould and we now have 3 pack upgrade kits available that will work with other mags like FN and steyr so another choice is available and I am sure someone here will improve on it by filing and tweaking it even further, thanks for your help and I hope to do interactive testing again.
link?
El Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31, 2013, 00:17   #93
Skilter
Registered

FALaholic #: 1021
I recently ran 4 of their new 30 rounders through a F/A FAL and they ran like scalded ass apes... multiple times. I have no affinity for DSA, but if their 30's run, I have no doubt about the 20's. But, YMMV... ALWAYS RUN NEW MAGS before you rely on them for application. But... that is kind of common sense isn't it?

Illegitimi Non Carborundum
--------------------------------------------
M 7:7-14 tells you all you need to know.
Skilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31, 2013, 00:33   #94
El Mac
Registered

Quote:
Is this it?
http://www.dsarms.com/FAL-SA58-20rnd...info/119120-K/
Old January 31, 2013, 08:42   #95
jackj
Registered

FALaholic #: 32850
I just purchased 5 new DSA mags from AIM, that they just received in from DSA. Am I correct in assuming these new mags are the upgraded version that R1 is referring too?
jackj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31, 2013, 09:41   #96
El Mac
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackj View Post
I just purchased 5 new DSA mags from AIM, that they just received in from DSA. Am I correct in assuming these new mags are the upgraded version that R1 is referring too?
I'd like to know that as well.....
Old January 31, 2013, 10:49   #97
R1shooter
Registered

Our magazines have not changed, it is just the upgrade that is the spring and follower that are available, we will be offering both types in the near future.
Old January 31, 2013, 11:01   #98
jackj
Registered

FALaholic #: 32850
I guess I'm confused. Why would you offer both types in the future? Are you saying the original has advantages in certain firearms? Or is there some other reason you would not simply improve the product, and cease sales of the "unimproved" magazine?
jackj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 01, 2013, 21:22   #99
R1shooter
Registered

Many members are 'purists' and would cry foul if we discontinued or no longer offered a product like the original, look at the strong views with us putting an inch ejector block on our metric receivers, for the short term we are offering the springs and modified follower in a 3 pack as an upgrade and as inventory dwindles will offer it as a choice. It is listed on our website under Fal magazine accessories.
Old February 03, 2013, 11:33   #100
cowboysteve
Registered

FALaholic #: 67076
We took advantage of a sunny afternoon between winter weather to finish testing the new mag improvement R1shooter sent along. We ran another 2 full mags each through 3 different DSA models without one instance of FTF through a complete mag run. We were using new Lake City (Federal) 147gr FMJ ammo.

I my opinion, I prefer the new upgraded mag over the other DSA and surplus mags I own. Easier to load, and I like the follower. I'll be ordering a few of the upgrade kits to improve a few of my problem mags in the stash.

Thanks to R1shooter for letting us product test this upgrade.
cowboysteve is offline   Reply With Quote