The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Discussion Forums > General Non-Firearms Discussion

Notices

Old May 23, 2018, 16:44   #1
KoKodog
Registered

FALaholic #: 31665
vacuum hose nightmare

Sunday I tried to start my 2000 Jetta TDI (A4) to make a short run but had a no start problem

pulled the plastic engine cover and discovered the mice did a number on my factory vacuum hoses, (they are fabric covered)

I had my hands full dealing w/ so damn many vacuum hoses, already had 3mm (blue) & 5mm (red) silicone hose on hand (planned to replace hoses last month when it kept going into limp mode) {no tasteless jokes}

meanwhile I got my cousins youngest son over to slip a skinny arm down behind the engine to replace the vacuum hose between the turbo vane actuator (adjusts pitch on the turbo vanes) and the N75 valve that does the controlling - checked function -- had him feel the actuator while I uses the hand vacuum pump to move it, and it held vacuum too , good news

discovered right off that the nipple for the vacuum pot that moves the fresh air intake at the EGR valve was broken - so I cut a 1" piece of red straw from a spray can, got a drill bit the same as the OD of the straw, drilled out the broken piece of nipple, drilled the base where the nipple came from, grabbed a single use tube of crazy glue, glued the nipple back together w/ the red straw in place, let it sit a day (actually 2 cause it was raining)

got vacuum hose nightmare squared away today, jetta started right up, must have been the broken nipple, that would caused the EGR fresh airflow flapper to stay closed

there are plenty of times I hate engineers / designers, but I got over the hate today ...... but I still hate those damn mice chewing on everything they can

Teddy Roosvelt

Pray for peace, but prepare for war.
Winston Churchill
KoKodog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2018, 17:53   #2
mutter
Registered

FALaholic #: 22871
get some moth balls and place some in zip lock bags. Tie strap the bags to a top stable part of the engine.
mutter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2018, 18:03   #3
CG&L
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 27951
I had to put those Decon rat killer, grain boxes under my Jeep. It killed the mice but,unfortunately, it killed all the squirrels. Forgot about those.

I used to have 4 or 5 squirrels in my yard all the time but they disappeared with the mice. Collateral damage they call it.
Old May 23, 2018, 21:52   #4
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34604
Quote:
Originally Posted by CG&L View Post
I had to put those Decon rat killer, grain boxes under my Jeep. It killed the mice but,unfortunately, it killed all the squirrels. Forgot about those.

I used to have 4 or 5 squirrels in my yard all the time but they disappeared with the mice. Collateral damage they call it.
I'll bite. What's so great about the cousins of rats that live in trees?

And yes to the OP. I hate front wheel drive cars. Especially a V6 trying to get to shit

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.
meltblown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2018, 14:50   #5
hokey45
Registered

FALaholic #: 41407
That job sounds like it sucked.
hokey45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2018, 23:56   #6
KoKodog
Registered

yeah, it sucked, razor blade to slit old hose ends so that you do not break any nipples, my big hands do not really fit into the smaller spaces

Teddy Roosvelt

Winston Churchill
Old May 25, 2018, 05:23   #7
kfranz
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by meltblown View Post
I'll bite. What's so great about the cousins of rats that live in trees?
t
The way they taste when you cook a mess of them with gravy
kfranz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2018, 15:00   #8
KoKodog
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfranz View Post
The way they taste when you cook a mess of them with gravy
boil them until the meat falls off the bones, pick apart make gravy serve on waffles or biscuits, enjoy
Teddy Roosvelt

Winston Churchill
Old May 25, 2018, 15:33   #9
Story
Registered

FALaholic #: 7638
I thought this was going to be a review thread about a horror movie.
Story is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2018, 21:47   #10
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

FALaholic #: 12090
A long time ago I found out that the automotive industry used peanut and soy oil as an ingredient in the plastics molding processes; such as wire insulation, hoses, and plastic fittings. Helped them be "green" because it is biodegradable. Apparently the smell and flavor imbeds itself in the plastic product and the rodents really love it.

Schools uses to start with the "three R's". Reading, writing, and arithmetic. Now they start with the "three D's". Dipshitery, Dumbassery, and Douchebaggery-Retired Bum

If you do in fact have a problem, you have the rest of your life to solve it. How long your life lasts only depends on how well you solve it.
tac-40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2018, 23:13   #11
12v71
Perched in the MP
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 71127
Quote:
Originally Posted by tac-40 View Post
A long time ago I found out that the automotive industry used peanut and soy oil as an ingredient in the plastics molding processes; such as wire insulation, hoses, and plastic fittings. Helped them be "green" because it is biodegradable. Apparently the smell and flavor imbeds itself in the plastic product and the rodents really love it.
I had an old '76 chevy 1 ton that sat in the yard 'til we needed it to haul pipe fittings (big elbows, tees, and such other stuff. Went to start it one day and nothing...Opened the hood and all the wiring was gone and there was a cottontail rabbit sitting on top of the engine. Two months later the little bastiges got the transmission control harness in my Cat D6M dozer, 19 wires and 6 hours of labor to repair it.

"Freedom is not a crime"

I'm a heavy equipment mechanic because brain surgery was far too easy.
12v71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2018, 07:00   #12
Andy2205
Registered

FALaholic #: 26110
Be thankful it was only the vacuum lines. My wife's old Lexus ES fell victim to rodent damage to the wiring harness. It got to the point where it would intermittently loose power and die while going down the road. The local Toyota dealer want to explore the timing belt looking for damage. The tech spent hours taking things apart only to find the belt wasn't the issue, neither was the crank position sensor, which was generating a fault code. Turns out something had been chewing on the wiring harness and signal lines were damaged. At least the technician admitted his 98.8% judgement call on the timing belt was wrong and I don't have to eat the cost of labor on that one.